Thread: [TV] Dexter

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    I've heard there is a lot of blood and gore... that isn't my type of thing and would be the main thing to turn me off to the series.

What do others think? Is it really excessive or have I been misinformed?
    Dexter? Well, it does have blood, but really isn't very gory. Dexter is more tame than some other shows out there.

Deleted
    Just when I thought that season 4 could not be topped, season 5 comes and shows it can get even better. Julia Stiles preformed amazingly, even surpasing Michael Hall on many occasions. At first it felt like it was going to be a lot like season 3 with Mguel Prado, but it went a lot deeper.

Season 1 was the best. Season 2 was good. Season 3 was horrible. Season 4 with the Trinity killer was back on track. The latest season was a failure.

For Dexter to be good he needs a villain who matches him. That happened in Season 1 and 4 so far. I just wish they didn't kill off Dokes, I liked his character.

!!!SPOILERS!!!

Definitely agree with you about the villian thing. Another thing I really hated was the ending. It felt like I was watching an episode of The Simpsons, where despite all that goes on through the episode (season in Dexter's case), everything is back to normal at the end. To me the ending was like:
    Lumen: "Gee, thanks Dexter for risking your life every single day for the past few weeks to help me get closure on the horrible things that were done to me."
    "Oh, don't mention it. I'm just really glad I've found someone who I can finally share this secret - this burden - with."
    "Yeah....about that... Now that it's over I just can't do it anymore. Even though you helped me, I'm not gonna bother trying to help you with your problem."
    "But...I thought we had something going."
    "No dice."
    : (

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinderwurst View Post

One of the best scenes (in my opinion, of course) from season two.
    I Fail for just getting into this amazing show. Saw episode one and that was it I was hooked. Finished season 2. And that scene I paused it, rewind it and then played it in slow-mo. Has to be one of the most awesome and pwn moments I've seen thus far in the show. Dexter is the best show ever!
    Doctor Octopus : 80 Asura Warrior
    Captain McNuggets : 80 Human Mesmer
    Professor McNuggets : 36 Asura Engineer
    General McNuggets: 11 Sylvari Thief

Seen all the seasons. It's amazing. If u you havn't seen it yet u better do it now.
    Can't wait for season 6 !
    Resto Druid / Disc Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Kissoon View Post
    Season 1 was the best. Season 2 was good. Season 3 was horrible. Season 4 with the Trinity killer was back on track. The latest season was a failure.

For Dexter to be good he needs a villain who matches him. That happened in Season 1 and 4 so far. I just wish they didn't kill off Dokes, I liked his character.
    Yeah well, that's like, your opinion, man.

The last season was far from a "failure" as you put it. It had a ton of viewers, i think more than any previous seasons. Far from a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

posting in honor of the best tv show ever

Season finale was a big let-down. Hopefully the writers will pick up their slack this upcoming season.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only problem I have with it is that they try to "moralize" Dexter's character instead of "going all the way" with it.
    Awesome writing for television though.
    Still no Bret Easton-Ellis, but about as good as TV can get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently reside in Japan, lived most of my life in Georgia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    The only problem I have with it is that they try to "moralize" Dexter's character instead of "going all the way" with it.
    Awesome writing for television though.
    Still no Bret Easton-Ellis, but about as good as TV can get.
    They aren't trying to moralize him, he's a sociopath. The thing people like and can relate to is him trying to lead a normal life despite being "different". sure his different is much more extreme, but almost everyone can relate to that struggle. Fitting in, figuring out who you are, etc. It's not because they are glorifying serial murder or making it seem ok.

This show is amazing, the actors are great, the plot is very unique and its got sooo many twists and turns (especially at the end of season 4). I Hope it has many more seasons to come.

Dexter is awesome - but it was even better at the end of season two - when he imagines himself freely admitting to his sister that he's the bayside butcher.

I was on a forum with this chick I ABSOLUTE LOATHED ... and I remember coming across a torrent in which the last 3 episodes of the season had been leaked. I watched them, and this girl adamantly refused to see them until they actually aired - so, someone had made a compilation of the "imagined" scene where Debra cries and one where she shoots him in the head and a few other random scenes, as a joke - I posted it on the forums for this chick - I've never seen anyone ever get so mad... EVER. That made my year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakiami View Post
    The thing people like and can relate to is him trying to lead a normal life despite being "different". sure his different is much more extreme, but almost everyone can relate to that struggle.
    You're generalizing AND being too optimistic. The genre is Transgressive Fiction (televison).The reason people are interested is because we get to see murder through a self-aware narrator who is self-conscious of killing people, not because he's "overcoming a general difference", people can watch Captain Planet and get that.
    Dexter is awesome - but it was even better at the end of season two - when he imagines himself freely admitting to his sister that he's the bayside butcher.
    For Example: This is why people watch the show. =^
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakiami View Post
    They aren't trying to moralize him, he's a sociopath. The thing people like and can relate to is him trying to lead a normal life despite being "different". sure his different is much more extreme, but almost everyone can relate to that struggle. Fitting in, figuring out who you are, etc. It's not because they are glorifying serial murder or making it seem ok.
    People are interested in glorified murder/sociopathic behavior because it's part of human nature (however abnormal). That doesn't mean it's "ok". But it also doesn't mean it can't be explored through the eyes of the transgressor on a TV show. I've certainly read much "worse". I think it would be more interesting/ more realistic. People could admit they don't need an anchor to sanity in order to enjoy the show that way. I just see it as an unnecessary hold-out that people aren't ready to let go of. Not too risky for fiction, but too risky for TV unfortunately.
    Last edited by Callace; 2011-03-01 at 07:59 AM.

Can't wait! I love Dexter. Definitely one of my favorite shows. Was slightly disappointed with the last season compared to the others. Hopefully this one will be better. =)

Deleted
    I'm so happy it's coming this fall, have waited forever. And that trailer looks awesome, thanks for sharing .

I really liked season 5, although the ending to get rid of Lumen was a bit weak. Can't wait for the new season, looks good.

10+ Year Old Account
    when i grow up, i want to be just like Dexter.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Amazing. You have nothing to do now that people who aren't you have cleared Ulduar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    PS: Pandas are awesome.

Holy fuck. Was that Bill Adama? Now I have to catch up on season 5. That trailer is epic. o.o

Saw it on The Show's facebook page an hour or so ago. Freakin' epic...