Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjenk View Post
    A lot of what was "hard" in vanilla was ridiculous gear grinds for resists or in the case of 4h getting 8 warriors enough t3 so taunts don't miss in addition to them being hard. Imagine if lady sinestra had some ridiculous rep grind that took months to start crafting gear and it was hard on most servers to actually find hardcore people, and then you needed to have your tanks in 4/5 t11 but it was back to random drops with no badge gear or free loot...she would have stayed up for months as well as guilds that are even to her would not have a chance.

The actual hardcore raid scene then was not nearly what it was today with the refinement of tools and addons and such to compare it to the scene of today.

Guess what if you took away the gear cockblocks of vanilla raids and magically wiped some top guilds memory of the encounters mc, aq, bwl, and naxx 40 would all be clear within a month given the current gearing rates.
    you never needed 8 warriors with 4 T3 .... We never had them and we killed them without Probs

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skyrem View Post
    I didn't say better. I said difficult and awesome. 40man raids? Yeah I want that again.

---------- Post added 2011-01-24 at 02:06 AM ----------

The word of Paragon is the word of God...
    40 man raids were unbearable, the amount of pain and suffering it took to coordinate 40 people, let alone get 40 people online at once, was tremendous...10/25 was Blizzards best idea yet

Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    When the top four are from vanilla, i think something was done right.
    And also how 10 of the 30 are from vanilla, sorta shows that everything was better.

Not to shocked that ouro was #1, that was one of the most hectic fights in the history of wow.
    It was mainly because they were heavily bugged. Vanilla wasn't hard.

Only someone who didn't actually raid back then would believe so.

Another thing was that theorycrafting barely existed. People just didn't care as much.

Deleted
    Vanilla was bugged compared to cata yes, but of course it was not as bad as some people tries to imply. it was still a game, and when AQ and Naxx were released there were websites out just like today (not as many perhaps but nothing mentionable), and during TBC there were only around 3 specs that really were "broken" (feral dps, retri pve etc). so late vanilla til start of wotlk was surely hard times.. but to say it was the hardest is just dumb, blizzard is getting really really good at making fights nowadays

Sorry buddy, its my personal opinion that vanilla was better and will be the best.
    Cata comes close but i miss my 40 man raiding group.
    Meh, Ulduar in appropriate gear eats all of Vanilla alive... for breakfast... doesn't even need any salt or coffee.

Next.
    Current Haterade® flavor: #$%@ you cherry

Ouro lived the longest of all bosses because of an issue concerning his burrowing. His death was imminent after a fix to that wasn't it?

also, to those going and talking about how this proves how much better vanilla was are forgetting that almost all the fights from vanilla with maybe 5 or 6 total bosses were obscenly simply and designed for people with 10% crit 2k hp and a lvl of dps about even with what we expect from an intelligent lvl 30 toon today. And don't even get me started on the fucked up talent set ups with melee hunters and tanking shaman or caster dps pallies (cause ret wasn't viable).

And yet Paragon came out and said T11 was the hardest tier yet.
    Because they were only wrath all stars. They were mergers of many different guilds who kicked everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Foibles View Post
    And yet Paragon came out and said T11 was the hardest tier yet.

Paragon has also said that LK 25 HC was THE HARDEST encounter ever made, AFTER they got world first. Now they are arguably world first and are saying t11 is the hardest tier. Yeah, I can totally see the pattern here.

Yogg + 0 took the longest to kill, if we don't count broken vanilla bosses like C'thun. 70 days vs 25, but yeah Paragon says t11 is the hardest after clearing it within a month, so totally right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't like threads like this as they are misleading and unless they are from linear progressing raid tell you nothing. Especially start of expansion, just coz you killed Twins you won't work on buggy Ouro, just coz you killed Halfus:hc you won't work on Valiona before BWC bosses.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    what made ouro so hard to kill besides horrible bugs? my guild skipped him completely back then.

15+ Year Old Account
    #6 High Astromancer Solarian

What?!?

It took a while before tansfered were available, so it makes sense Rag and Nef were one of the top. The top players in the world (much less server) weren't as pooled together as they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
    Yeah, there were no test servers back then for raids. Boss after boss was buggy and it would take them days to weeks to MONTHS to fix the bugs and make the bosses killable. Now they will have bug fixers and devs watching as the world first guilds fight the end bosses for the first time and they tweak the fight and fix bugs on the fly.

It's got nothing to do with the content being easier now or more hard back then.
    So much this. If it was so hard that it took this long to get encounters down why on almost all these fights the second kill is that same reset...

If you are trying to label truly hard fights you should look at fights where there wasn't major controversy on the first kill and there was no second kill that reset. Just look at cthun once he was fixed there were multiple kills that first day. 4h was hard but it more had to do with your luck on warrior tier dropping in naxx. Many fights in mc, bwl and aq were how fast you could grind resist gear and reps for 40+people.

Look more at fights like hlk which wasn't killed in the same buff level or lockout. H firefighter that took another 2 lockouts for any other guild to get. Yogg0 etc etc.

---------- Post added 2011-01-24 at 01:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Plaincow View Post
    what made ouro so hard to kill besides horrible bugs? my guild skipped him completely back then.
    No one shot for the optional boss that was "in the race"

don't know if it's been said before, but HC Nefarian shouldn't be really counted as till Paragorn killed it. The tactic they used is no longer available therefore no1 has killed him from that point on.

Deleted
    When the top four are from vanilla, i think something was done right.
    And also how 10 of the 30 are from vanilla, sorta shows that everything was better.

Not to shocked that ouro was #1, that was one of the most hectic fights in the history of wow.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xar0Lf_oC-k
    If this is the fight I guess that is the only boss you have ever fucking done because this is the most stupid and simple encounter ever
    Last edited by mmoc12dbb41d8a; 2011-01-31 at 11:05 PM.

Wasn't C'thun literally impossible for a while until they nerfed him?

Quote Originally Posted by Zinspawn View Post
    #6 High Astromancer Solarian

What?!?
    The original version of Solarian was not the geddon clone now in the game.

The original Wrath of the Astromancer was a stacking debuff that increased your arcane damage taken, so you had to make an infected camp and an uninfected camp to avoid getting gibbed. It was a massive DPS race and very difficult.

The second version reduced her HP by a lot and arcane resistance was buffed vs her spells and she didn't cast mark of the astromancer which reduced arcane resistance, this led to the arcane resist tank strategy.

Third version was the Geddon clone.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    The original version of Solarian was not the geddon clone now in the game.

The original Wrath of the Astromancer was a stacking debuff that increased your arcane damage taken, so you had to make an infected camp and an uninfected camp to avoid getting gibbed. It was a massive DPS race and very difficult.

The second version reduced her HP by a lot and arcane resistance was buffed vs her spells and she didn't cast mark of the astromancer which reduced arcane resistance, this led to the arcane resist tank strategy.

Third version was the Geddon clone.
    Sounds "fun". And by "fun", I mean Dwarf Fortress fun.

To be fair, there are some other factors at play here.

1) In vanilla, the population as a whole was newer to raiding
    2) Some of those fights were overtuned to the point of being unkillable (C'thun) until they got patched. But it's also not entirely fair to track from the time they were patched, because by that point, guilds had put in time to learn the fights and just had to go in and execute post-nerf to get the kill.
    3) It's harder to organize 40 people than 25 or 10. The fight itself may not have been harder, but, getting all of those people to play their roles correctly gets harder with every extra person you add.

The big thing is the overtuning and nerfing. A lot of those vanilla encounters took a long time to defeat because it just wasn't possible to defeat them until Blizzard tuned them. The fight that took the longest to defeat without being nerfed was the Four Horsemen.
    www.justanotherwowblog.com - A blog about gold making, WoW economics, MMO philosophy, and more!

How can Mimiron be judged only by after the first keeper heroic kill and not when it's first available?

Also, is it really fair to include attempt limit bosses since that obviously inflates their longevity?
    Last edited by sicness; 2011-01-24 at 01:37 AM.