BAH! Haven't you heard? Rift stole their customization features from Hasbro!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salicylic View Post
    and Rift makes WOW character customization look like what my dog leaves in the back yard
    Rainbows and sunshine?

Quote Originally Posted by AuthurDent View Post
    I had a "citizen" in Gloamwood being attacked by a local mob... just out along the path, not in a city. Usually I would just ignore that kind of thing and go along my questing.. but ever since playing this game I haven't felt rushed to get to max level... I want to just fiddle around and have fun.

So I stopped and killed the mob. The NPC didn't say anything... didn't have a quest or any other mark on them.. but I happened to see that when I moused over them they did have a 'I have something to say" bubble. So I did.

She thanked me and offered me a reward for helping her with two option.. "No reward is necessary" and "Sure I'd welcome a reward"

I chose the reward (not surprising) and sure enough she gave me some gold and an uncommon item. JUST because I was curious as to why she was out there and stopped to "save" her.

It was just plain neat... made me even more curious as to what else was going on in the world.
    Hmm you should have gone Western style:
    "No thanks necessary ma'am!"
    Then your reward would have been a kiss and a BETTER reward. That's how it always happens. Or she'd just not give you anything. But hey, be humble!

Hearing stuff like this is cool. It keeps the dynamic environment in play. One day you might see a list of everything you can do as a 'secret'. It's fun now because you're discovering things no one has. Those days are always good in an MMO. Enjoy them while they last :T

The point is this
    unless its a totally new genre of mmo
    will ppl want to invest the huge timesink into it?
    something like DCUO i can see the point
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/94518
    but another fantasy based mmo hmmm i,m sceptical
    i have not tried rift nor will i to me it looks like the bastard child of warhammer online with wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dbgokux4 View Post
    Hmm you should have gone Western style:
    "No thanks necessary ma'am!"
    Then your reward would have been a kiss and a BETTER reward. That's how it always happens. Or she'd just not give you anything. But hey, be humble!

Hearing stuff like this is cool. It keeps the dynamic environment in play. One day you might see a list of everything you can do as a 'secret'. It's fun now because you're discovering things no one has. Those days are always good in an MMO. Enjoy them while they last :T
    It's like when you save that NPC in Nagrand by Hemet Nessingwary and she gives you a quest. OMG, something else RIFT stole =(

I enjoyed the random things going on. Made the world a lot more dynamic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by skyclops View Post
    The point is this
    i have not tried rift nor will i to me it looks like the bastard child of warhammer online with wow
    You can't really base an MMO on just viewing it on youtube or reading a review someone posted. I suggest opting in for the open beta on the 15th. It's free and lasts a week. What have you to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    It's like when you save that NPC in Nagrand by Hemet Nessingwary and she gives you a quest. OMG, something else RIFT stole =(

I enjoyed the random things going on. Made the world a lot more dynamic to me.

You can't really base an MMO on just viewing it on youtube or reading a review someone posted. I suggest opting in for the open beta on the 15th. It's free and lasts a week. What have you to lose?
    Time playing on wow or ps3
    Having tried /warhammer online/conan/aion
    And i,m not trying to say rift will suck & i,m a wow fanboi quite the opposite
    I believe the two games can co=exist with eachother & i do hope
    It takes off as competition is good & only benefits the customers
    Just saying me personally will not be trying it
    More inclinced to try DCUO once the dust has settled & its more established
    i do NOT want to try yet another fantasy themed mmo
    Last edited by skyclops; 2011-02-10 at 03:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Time playing on wow or ps3
    Having tried /warhammer online/conan/aion
    i do NOT want to try yet another fantasy themed mmo
    To each their own. I just dislike it when people won't give something the time of day because it looks like something else. I had that mentality when my guildy told me about rift. Tried it, and now I love it. Again, to each their own.

I think I have reached the point where i am no longer "investing"... in fact I gave up the 4+ years I invested in WoW to play Rift.. why? Because I am enjoying playing the game... I don't feel like I HAVE to do something I don't want to do to keep my "investment" moving along.

I am tired of playing a game I really don't enjoy anymore.. doing things I don't really like doing just in order to keep my character from "falling behind"

I just want to log on.. play for an hour or a few.. and enjoy it. Rift has allowed me to do just that.

The point is this

10+ Year Old Account
    The general consensus I am seeing with Rift supporters is that "they are bored of wow". I'm sure when you guys first started playing wow you thought it was great and naturally as time goes on you get bored of the same thing day in and day out. I'm not going to say that wow is better or rift is better because in all honesty I think that comes more to personal preference, but what it does look like is people are saying rift is the best now when in fact it is more likely due to that it is new.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Guh! The 15th can't come soon enough!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanks120y View Post
    The general consensus I am seeing with Rift supporters is that "they are bored of wow". I'm sure when you guys first started playing wow you thought it was great and naturally as time goes on you get bored of the same thing day in and day out. I'm not going to say that wow is better or rift is better because in all honesty I think that comes more to personal preference, but what it does look like is people are saying rift is the best now when in fact it is more likely due to that it is new.
    The problem, for me at least, is that WoW just had a new expansion come out and I'm already bored of it. Cataclysm really didn't bring anything new to WoW. I'll probably never quit WoW forever, but I need a very long break from it and play something I enjoy much more, I played the recent RIFT beta and loved it, so thats what I'll be playing.

The point is this
    i have not tried DCUO nor will i, it is a console mmo thats ported to pc, i will never touch a console port ever again

15+ Year Old Account
    Why do people keep yelling about Rift stealing WoW's UI? There's a generic UI that's used in every MMO - WoW wasn't the first.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    Why do people keep yelling about Rift stealing WoW's UI? There's a generic UI that's used in every MMO - WoW wasn't the first.
    Probably because they were to young to play games before the era of WOW. WOW itself have taken sooooo much from other earlier games. Even from other games which were released after WOW, these "new" features have been added in expansions. But that's how the gameindustry behaves, even the whole computer industry.

WOW just made the MMO genre more simple, and it's a polished game, which were quite uncommon back in the day. I both Hate and Like WOW, twisted, I know... But it kinda took the depth away from MMO gaming (yeah I know Eve still exist but other than that), and made everything shallow and yeah simple.

The thing I miss most in WOW is noninstanced player cities where everone could have a house, or a shop in the gameworld. (Yeah AH would have to die ). But gameworld is to small for this

Mix Starwars Galaxies "pre-CU" and Wow, that would be something

Quote Originally Posted by Horniak View Post
    The thing I miss most in WOW is noninstanced player cities where everone could have a house, or a shop in the gameworld. (Yeah AH would have to die ). But gameworld is to small for this

Mix Starwars Galaxies "pre-CU" and Wow, that would be something
    You know the SWGemu project (basically some clever programmers out there are rebuilding SWG pre-CU and then releasing the code for free) is almost complete?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    You know the SWGemu project (basically some clever programmers out there are rebuilding SWG pre-CU and then releasing the code for free) is almost complete?
    A guildie just told me about old school SWG. Boy I wish I would of played that game sounded awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by jadakin View Post
    A guildie just told me about old school SWG. Boy I wish I would of played that game sounded awesome.
    The thing that made SWG amazing was the imbalances derived from the crafting system. You could literally own the best gun or lightsaber or beast in the game and kick ass in combat, or, you could be the greatest weapon or armour smith in the game, or the best chef, and people would travel to your planet to your (player made) city to visit your shop and buy your merchandise. You could be a legend, not just another player wearing the same armour.

Mind you the game had a lot of bugs at launch, and massively lacked content. But that didn't really matter, the game was a total sandbox and players made their own content, mostly open world PvP.

I've often thought that a game built on imbalances might beat one built on total balance, because there is opportunity to truly rise to the top.

I really want to like RIFT enough to play it but honestly, it was meh. That is the best I can sum it up. I have leveled on both Defiant and Guardian sides and its a flipping BORE. I feel as if I am on rails. At least in WOW I had a choice of three starter areas for each side, in RIFT it appears my progression will always zone a -> b -> c -> d ... etc as in when does it break out to where I can honestly say " well, now that I am level X I can go to any of these new zones to level" ? Last beta was like, wtf? My characters suddenly felt as if they were out classed by mobs that she had blown by earlier.

Graphics wise it looks pretty, I run 2560x1440 with a lot of effects on (lighting to 4) using QC iMac that has 8g of memory. It only has a 512mb 4850 but I can average mid 20s for frame rates for the most part if not higher.

I really would love a new game, but damn, I am not going to play in a rail shooter and by that I mean, a game with so few zones that leveling a new character means the same content over and over and over and over and over and over and over. They desperately need more than one starting zone per side and more zones in general.

Oh, that cost to mail items is ridiculous
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Extra Bonus for Headstart Boxed Players who didn't order CE.

Hello, All-

Many of you have pre-ordered the boxed Collector’s Edition of Rift and have been asking about getting your pre-order items at Headstart. Since you will not have your actual CE code before you have the box delivered, you would not get your items until release. We have been working on a way to fix that. I’d like to announce that we have come up with a solution!

* For Headstart, all accounts with a RETAIL preorder key (physical box preorder only) will receive the Ancient Tartagon Mount and the Bogling Wastrel pet.
    * These items will be available on all characters on that person’s account
    * These items will be removed at the end of headstart, unless the player has applied a collector’s edition key during Headstart.
    * If a player enters a CE key after the items have been removed at the end of headstart, they will get the items back.
    * Unfortunately, due to technical constraints, the bag will not be available until you have applied your Collector’s Edition key.

Thank you for choosing Telara as your new MMO home and we are striving to make this a great experience for you!

just read through this entire thread...and if people are just coming here to see whats going on in the thread, its basically this - wow players calling rift players stupid fanboys, and rift players calling wow players stupid fanboys. oh and also theres a bunch of people comparing screenshots trying to say wow sucks because the graphics arent as good as rifts...like that means something. oh and something about the UIs or something like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    The thing that made SWG amazing was the imbalances derived from the crafting system. You could literally own the best gun or lightsaber or beast in the game and kick ass in combat, or, you could be the greatest weapon or armour smith in the game, or the best chef, and people would travel to your planet to your (player made) city to visit your shop and buy your merchandise. You could be a legend, not just another player wearing the same armour.

Mind you the game had a lot of bugs at launch, and massively lacked content. But that didn't really matter, the game was a total sandbox and players made their own content, mostly open world PvP.

I've often thought that a game built on imbalances might beat one built on total balance, because there is opportunity to truly rise to the top.
    Well put!! I'll look into the SWGemu project, thanks for the heads up Damn I miss that game. mpistoleer + bhpistol + geonosian pistol 30%dmg slice = good times !

As ZEROWASHU said: Leveling in Rift feels very linear. I wonder if we'll never see a little more complex mmo again (except eve )