Thread: What u think?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

What u think?

Hi guys. I'm new to shaman and very new to healing. I have been doing a boat load heroics trying to get gear. I understand that priority is Intel->Spirit-> Haste->Crit->Mastery. I heal fine in heroics, but my guild attempted magmaw the other night and our Resto Druid and Holy Paladin was beating me by quite a bit on healing done. I was finding myself trying to do everything i could to do to increase the distance between us, but i just couldn't close the gap on them. I wasn't sure whether or not it was my gear or myself. Here is my armory link. I am in my ele spec cuz i was doin dailies and i went back to work. I am working on my earthen ring boots atm, and also the only difference in items is that i have amnunae's ring heroic instead of the dark iron ring

When i raid healed i tended to spam healing wave on everyone and making sure that Earth shield and riptide were always on main tank. I would use chain heal and hardly used healing rain. But if i seen targets going down on health I tended to spam healing surge and i would get into a panic. What do you guys do in that situation keep healing with hw or spam chain heal?

And also how often do you use riptide do you continue to put on multiple targets or just the main tank?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...e/dazed/simple

Please be constructive
    Last edited by jermo22; 2011-02-05 at 10:10 PM.

use search function, there have been a dozen of these threads in the past weeks.
    "Master of the Green Beam"

FrosDKong, Healakong, Pallykong

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah but im not worried about someone else. I am new the resto shaman class and im trying to see if its me that is not doing something right or if I'm gemming wrong or reforging wrong or what the deal is. Thus, the reason why i linked my armory. Thanks

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    What I would suggest you doing is having your range gather in an area probably spread out roughly 5 yards apart from each other forming a circle. Healing Rain, though a mana sink, is probably your best bet for helping raid heal. The danger in this strat comes with the Pillar of Flame. so your range needs to be aware and shift to the opposite side and redo the same thing. It has its advantages and dis advantages. I use Riptide most of the time on the MT, but I will use it on the raid more often. Its not necessarily the best to keep it on the tank especially when you have a druid probably rolling hots not to mention a paladin with beacon on them. So it will probably be for your benefit to save riptide for the movement or anyone you need to top off quickly before a healing surge.

I'm guessing you're doing 10 mans since you only listed 2 other healers.

Here's what you do:
    Reforge that haste so that you have more crit. Crit is king in 10 mans, I did 4 hardmodes in 10 mans and it was next to impossible gearing for haste (also tried mastery).

Haste is for 25 mans. If you ever try 25 mans you will see why. 916 haste is what people will say you need, but in 10 mans it's pointless since you will be overwriting earthliving on the target. Getting enough haste for the extra tick of healing rain comes with gear so reforging for crit is what you will do.

In 10 mans, you should be solely tank healing, while trying to throw out a healing rain when you have the downtime and mana to.

You need more gear since shamans have shit for mana regen until they get enough epics to sustain the damage incoming.

Also, Riptide + Healing surge + Healing surge is pretty much how you're going to single target heal in 10 mans. Healing wave is only good when you think there's time to cast it.

If your raid is complaining about your heals, tell them shamans are pretty much only useful for mana tide in our current state in 10 mans. Of course we bring along no tank saving CDs and medicre heals, but we bring MANA TIDE. Thank blizzard for destroying our potential in 10 mans solely because of pvp.
    Last edited by Brokenclass; 2011-02-06 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GittSteiny View Post
    What I would suggest you doing is having your range gather in an area probably spread out roughly 5 yards apart from each other forming a circle. Healing Rain, though a mana sink, is probably your best bet for helping raid heal. The danger in this strat comes with the Pillar of Flame. so your range needs to be aware and shift to the opposite side and redo the same thing. It has its advantages and dis advantages. I use Riptide most of the time on the MT, but I will use it on the raid more often. Its not necessarily the best to keep it on the tank especially when you have a druid probably rolling hots not to mention a paladin with beacon on them. So it will probably be for your benefit to save riptide for the movement or anyone you need to top off quickly before a healing surge.

Magmaw 10 or 25? My guild runs only 10's right now and what we do is have everyone except 1 ranged stand on top of each other less than 15 yards from the boss ( extreme melee range) what this does is ensure that the pillar of flame drops only on that one ranged person, this also makes it extremely easy to aoe heal . Not sure if that would work on Magmaw 25.

But yeah reforge that haste to crit and gem int/spirit in most slots. I have no mana issues and have no problems healing the raid in 10 man magmaw. Also make liberal use of your mana Tide totem.

Chain heal by itself is crap, use it with healing rain. I don't know what yur usual healing compliment is but i run with a holy pally, holy priest and another resto shaman. We shamasn both have dps specs, im enhance /resto and she is elemental/ resto. That way if we get melee heavy we have options.

It might be healing style but I found what Brokenclass says to be exactly the wrong thing to do. My healing done usually breaks down to 22% healing rain, 22% healing wave and 20% healing surge, with other spells making up the remainder. I also have no mana issues.

To properly use mana tide totem, pop it when you have used about 20% of your mana, keep refreshing water sheild as well. Why you pop mana tide early is to reset your mana bar back to full. Keep in mind it increases your spirit by 350% ( pre patch) so those int/spirit gems are coming in useful right now. Mana tide totem is now on a 3 min cooldown (or is it 6 cant remeber and not in game atm). By the time your getting close to 25% mana left you can pop it again.

Personally i use SCT's audio warning set to 80% mana as my low mana warning, then i pop my totem.

I'll try to post the last world of logs report from my last magmaw 10 kill for you.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/j...59b/details/6/

Thats the Breakdown on my own personal performace, i note that some of my %'s were wrong, sorry for that.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/j...m/healingDone/

That shows the healing done. In this case we had both of us shamans healing.

....grumble grumble...damned holy pallies...grumble
    Last edited by Dirtyfist; 2011-02-06 at 06:41 AM.
    Where did you park the invisible car?

I'm currently running a high mastery/crit build and i raid heal just fine rarely mana problems in a druid/pally/shaman set up gget the lightning bolt to mana talent and when his head is down berserk if ur a troll or bloodrage if ur a orc and spam the hell out of lightningbolt u should have a full mana bar everytime his head goes down and empty it afterwards, really great way to get higher HPS and try to be sure to drop mana tide at 80% mana with a trinket and like somebody said that ranged stand in melee is a great tactic also one we did last night was had a frost dk and a survival hunter kite the adds around by themselves and everybody else stayed on the boss and it was a quick kill no deaths HR is god when u are all standing there like that and on maloriak HR rains supreme in ur healing done

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so im assuming u prioritized crit before mastery... So what is the optimum crit % we need or feel comfortable at for us to start using mastery?

Quote Originally Posted by figgis View Post
    I'm currently running a high mastery/crit build and i raid heal just fine rarely mana problems in a druid/pally/shaman set up gget the lightning bolt to mana talent and when his head is down berserk if ur a troll or bloodrage if ur a orc and spam the hell out of lightningbolt u should have a full mana bar everytime his head goes down and empty it afterwards, really great way to get higher HPS and try to be sure to drop mana tide at 80% mana with a trinket and like somebody said that ranged stand in melee is a great tactic also one we did last night was had a frost dk and a survival hunter kite the adds around by themselves and everybody else stayed on the boss and it was a quick kill no deaths HR is god when u are all standing there like that and on maloriak HR rains supreme in ur healing done

Telluric Currents is an awesome talent for mana regen, sadly I cant get used to casting LB as a healer so i stayed the conventional spec.

Also, could you please provide a World of logs link. I would love to see what a mastery build can do. ANy little extra info helps. =)
    Where did you park the invisible car?

Deleted
    One thing that you are doing wrong, if it goes for 10 man atleast. Spamming healing wave is not always the option. I dont know if you have mana problems.

What i do, on Magmaw 10, with 99% of the time a resto druid and holy pala or priest for tank, is i keep an eye out for Magmaw's animation before he does that aoe fire spit thing on the raid. We all stack on 1 person to his left, tank to the right and a mage somewhere out in the open for pillar.
    This way we maximize our total aoe raid healing for druid and shaman(me). Right before it goes off, i cast healing rain on everyone, followed by 2-3 chain heals. This puts everyone on 90% health or higher. I dont have full epics or anything. My gear looks alot like yours and same setup with gems, enchants and reforges. since im a JC i use alot of the +67 intellect gems, which helps on a good mana pool, spell power and crit all together.

Tank healing is not something i will recommend right at the moment, especially if you struggle on raidhealing. And i also think its a really bad idea to start off with as a new resto shaman in raids.

As Dirtyfist said, Telluric Currents in the resto tree is really good to have. + i dont use the talent for ghost wolf in enhancement, since the situations to use it is really rare. atleast in my case.

I much prefer crit over haste because of improved water shield. I have also seen other posts that the the 916 soft haste cap isn't working for people and that it's not worth trying to get to.