Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tremulant View Post
    So while the pop fans are arguing which of the 3 turds is shinier, the true music fans were all united in voting for the only option on the list they really had.

It was a good day for music fans.
    Yes, because I must hate music since I listen to Gaga.

I don't know how else to say it. Gaga not playing guitar, or Eminem not playing keyboards, doesn't make them any less of musicians. To say that Arcade Fire write better songs just for that reason is honestly pretty ignorant. I know they don't have the major record label to back them up, but I like to think I know a good bit about modern music, and the only Arcade Fire album I can name off the top of my head is Neon Bible.

I'd actually say Gaga and Eminem are better song writers because of their bigger fan bases. People are going to argue and say some shit about how Top 40 music isn't as intelligent, or that everyone who listens to pop or rap doesn't have any taste, but clearly those two are doing something right. That song they played on the Grammys didn't exactly stick with me even two minutes after they finished.

People saying that they didn't deserve it, haven't been paying attention. The album was on several "Best of 2010" lists. (#1 on BBC, #2 in TIME Magazine, #2 on Billboard, #3 in Spin, #4 in Rolling Stone, etc...)

The Grammys aren't suppose to be a popularity contest.

Quote Originally Posted by borpo View Post
    I like to think I know a good bit about modern music, and the only Arcade Fire album I can name off the top of my head is Neon Bible.
    Sorry, but Funeral?

It was on more "Best Albums of the Decade" lists than any other album (tied with Radiohead's Kid A).

hmph

who cares.. new radiohead comes out saturday

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by borpo View Post
    Yes, because I must hate music since I listen to Gaga.

I don't know how else to say it. Gaga not playing guitar, or Eminem not playing keyboards, doesn't make them any less of musicians. To say that Arcade Fire write better songs just for that reason is honestly pretty ignorant. I know they don't have the major record label to back them up, but I like to think I know a good bit about modern music, and the only Arcade Fire album I can name off the top of my head is Neon Bible.

I'd actually say Gaga and Eminem are better song writers because of their bigger fan bases. People are going to argue and say some shit about how Top 40 music isn't as intelligent, or that everyone who listens to pop or rap doesn't have any taste, but clearly those two are doing something right. That song they played on the Grammys didn't exactly stick with me even two minutes after they finished.
    Eminem writes his own lyrics, Lady Gaga goes out and snorts coke and gets trashed every night and someone does the work for her, all she has to do is sing into a microphone and the auto tuner does the work for her. Bands like Arcade Fire started out playing the biggest dives in North America and worked tirelessly to get to where they are, very few acts become overnight sensations unless they are the next coming of The Beatles or something. Good musicians and bands that will be timeless and leave their mark on music will be remembered forever, 75 years down the road we will still be talking about The Beatles and all the other musicians who have left their mark on music. What has Lady Gaga done that is so fucking special for music? She hasn't changed anything, she didn't reinvent a genre, she just proved that the record companies care more about selling a product and over publicizing a dumb bimbo then promoting talented hard working artists who can actually make good music without ever faking it. Eminem proved that you can take tough life experiences as a white kid and turn them into some pretty powerful lyrics and in the process become one of the greatest rappers of all time. Eminem will be remembered for a much longer period of time then Lady Gaga or Katy Perry will, because he broke the laws of tradition and wasn't afraid to speak his mind in his music and was willing to offend people if it meant saying what needed to be said, pop singers will never do that sort of thing.

Arcade Fire make amazing music and I don't care what any stupid metal snob thinks because they don't show off ego-mental twiddly nonsense.

nothing gets more epic

Glad they won the award, eminem deserved it too but he's had alot of recognition anyway.

AF also won international album and international band at the brits last night.
    Last edited by Benjamima; 2011-02-16 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    The best music to ever come out of Canada isn't Arcade Fire, however. It's Godspeed You! Black Emperor.
    I love you for this comment. Too true.

Deleted
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor fans representin' in this thread.

Arcade fire had the best album out of the nominees.

I'm just annoyed that My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy wasn't nominated. not even for best rap album! what the hell.

Quote Originally Posted by buddahchase View Post
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor fans representin' in this thread.

Arcade fire had the best album out of the nominees.

I'm just annoyed that My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy wasn't nominated. not even for best rap album! what the hell.
    QFT, one of the only things consistently beating The Suburbs in the "Best Of" lists.

I'm seriously surprised of the amount of anti-arcade fire in this thread. I think they're a fantastic band, and I'm a huge fan! I was so excited to hear that they won. Surprised as hell but pleased. I still think Funeral is their best album.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidal View Post
    I can see this developed badly, but come on? You're saying the backstory and such of Gagas song like Bad Romance are good? Gaga's singing is repetetive and annoying (whilst she can sing, I guess - I'm not doubting that), she doesn't play her 'instruments' and they're fairly standard beats.

You want hard hitting songs with emotion and such?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgLm2gInV4A
    Hospice is an album where you can see emotion and thought has been put into it, to me (and many others), its a fairly obvious sign compared to Gaga's works.

Music, like art, and anything else in life, really is fuelled by how one perceives it, I guess - but calling an act average for gaining an achivement and having a bitter taste for it with only giving it a little bit of 'research' and not seeing how people can accept it to be their art form, and what they find beautiful in their life, is sort of shallow.

Maybe I contradicted myself, I don't care, I'm tired.
    I also love that song
    Can't spell 'NICE BALANCE' without Ice Lance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageissues View Post
    Yeah I went on Youtube earlier this morning and watched/listened to their most popular songs... and they are SO DAMN BORING. I found no deep messages, no instrumental prowess, and no incredible vocals. They are average, and should forever remain average.
    Because Lady Gaga has deep messages, vocals and intrumentals. I mean come on. I agree her music is enjoyable, well-put and such, i actually do like to listen to her from time to time, but really, good? Nah.

Quote Originally Posted by Nourish View Post
    i took the time to actually listen to them after this....there is no way they should have won, imho.
    You think Lady Antebellum, Katy Perry, Eminem, or Lady GaGa should have won? None of those "artists" have ever had an original thought.

Because the cutoff for Grammy nominees is September, and Kanye's latest pile of garbage was released in November.

Deleted
    I love how people think that defending Arcade Fire means we think they're the greatest band of all time or something. They probably wouldn't make my top 50, but they were certainly the most talented act nominated for the award, and one of a few bands of their stature which deserve everything they get.

The Suburbs wasn't the best album of the year, but I can't remember the last time the best album of any year has even been nominated for an award like a Grammy or a Brit. I wouldn't normally associate those shows with good music.
    Last edited by mmoc8b94a8a2c2; 2011-02-16 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyMC89 View Post
    I love how people think that defending Arcade Fire means we think they're the greatest band of all time or something. They probably wouldn't make my top 50, but they were certainly the most talented act nominated for the award, and one of a few bands of their stature which deserve everything they get.
    This. QFT. They are not god's gift to the earth, but out of the list of nominees they were certainly the best. Most deserving band in the world? Probably not. But there lies the problem with these rewards: "the best" is too objective, when art is solely subjective.
    Can't spell 'NICE BALANCE' without Ice Lance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gamz247 View Post
    Because the cutoff for Grammy nominees is September, and Kanye's latest pile of garbage was released in November.
    MBDTF was the best album released last year, hands down.

just sayin'

MBDTF was the best album released last year, hands down.

just sayin'
    It's pretty much unlistenable, so to consider it the album of the year is laughable.

Just sayin'.

Deleted
    It's pretty much unlistenable, so to consider it the album of the year is laughable.

Just sayin'.
    How is it unlistenable?

It was great. The only reasons i can thing of for hating it is if you have prejudice against Kanye due to him being an asshole, or, if you're just one of those people who hates all rap and refuses to give it a chance.

How is it unlistenable?

It was great. The only reasons i can thing of for hating it is if you have prejudice against Kanye due to him being an asshole, or, if you're just one of those people who hates all rap and refuses to give it a chance.
    Well, first, Kanye's voice is irritating as all get-out. Second, the lyrics are just more of the same "I'm a rapper and I have money and can get pussy" bullshit. Some of the music in the songs isn't too bad, but that's about it.

Rap had its chance with me about 20 years ago. I totally lost interest when all the gangsta rap and bling-bling stuff got big, though. I still enjoy listening to Hed PE and Candiria when I grab it from my collection, but that's as far as it goes nowadays.

Just sayin'.
    >Unlistenable
    MBDTW is to hiphop as Radiohead is to whatever music radiohead make.

EDIT: Oh look, the thread's going off topic. It really was inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidal View Post
    >Unlistenable
    MBDTW is to hiphop as Radiohead is to whatever music radiohead make.
    Are you saying that this album is the best hip-hop has to offer? Not really saying much about hip-hop now, is it?

Also I'm pretty sure that mentioning Kanye West and Radiohead in the same sentence without putting "sucks" after Kanye and "is awesome" after Radiohead is illegal in some countries.