Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by helusay View Post
    I know that it is hard to believe that anything bad could possibly happen to WoW, but I have a bit of my own logic to throw into the equation. I am not really a fanboy of WoW, or any other game for that matter. Seeing the trend of "RIFT vs. WoW" and "I am quitting WoW" threads popping up recently, I decided to post a poll yesterday in the forums. The poll was active for the better part of 8 hours before the mods closed it down, and to be honest, I was glad they did because the fanboys and trolls were starting to creep in and turn it into a flame thread. The poll managed to rack up 205 total votes and of those votes, 33.66% of the people polled were leaving WoW. While I can't say that this a good reflection of the entire WoW community, I did think is was interesting.

The results can be found here:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-RIFT-and-WoW

The question at hand, imo, is not if WoW will die, but what would Blizzard be willing to change or willing to do to keep from losing 1/3 of it's customer base?

I must also state that the poll can not factor in the unknown variable of "I am leaving WoW for <game>" people that eventually end up returning to WoW after said game goes bust. I am looking at you former Aion players as a current reference.
    sorry to break this to you but 205 votes does not a poll make c3pio.

OT with a signature of:

Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    Originally Posted by Energon
    People see WoW not as a game but as a lifestyle choice, which is no doubt why they are so aggressive when something comes along that may challenge the validity of that choice.
    I suspect the OP has some motives for wow to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gielnik View Post
    95% of all players never visit the forums (yes, i pulled that fact out of my hat)
    yeah, while the % is fictional, your prolly not too far off. I can't count how many times I've referred people to mmo-champ, EJ,or the WoW forums.

On topic: Lets hypothesize here... WoW is a dying game. Blizzard seeing that its main cash crop is plummeting, decides to pull the plug on X date, while going out with bang, big speeches and videos, in game events, etc etc. The servers are now shut down. Boub and the fine team at curse, are 3 steps ahead of this, and are already tracking the new and wildly popular game (insert new and wildly popular game) Now, MMO-Champion, being just what its name says, covers a new venue. Good thing the didn't name it WoW-champion eh?

*side note* please don't quote me with Rift or other games using the above statement. I know we have some promising games coming out, I was merely using a blanket statement to illustrate a point.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Or you could look at their reports. You know, the ones they are forced by law to provide to stockholders.

So please, just try to stick to common sense.
    Well, if you would like to stick to common sense, these profit and loss reports are released quarterly, last one being released on February 9, 2011 for the quarter covering Oct. 1st - December 31st, 2010. With the release of Cataclysm on December 7th, 2010, of course the numbers were up. But since the current numbers for the next quarter will likely be released sometime in May of 2011. You could not possibly know the current state of subscriptions. So, like I said, stick to the facts.

Sorry I know you want so bad for rift/swtor to kill WoW but it won't be happening. When Blizzard releases Titan they will intentionally want people to switch over to it from WoW and only then will WoW no longer be the kind of MMOs.

Curse will do other MMOs. It's not restricted to 1 game.

---------- Post added 2011-02-18 at 08:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mokoshnek View Post
    People are still playing the original EQ.

I think it's safe to say an MMO with 12 million subscribers isn't going to "die" any time soon.

There is no such thing as another MMO killing another MMO, unless they intentionality kill it for one of their own games. I can promise you 100% that WoW will not stay the most subscribed forever. SWTOR can take that spot, or some other game down the line, but one thing is for certain, it will not last forever.

Games get old, boring, and repetitive. I think the majority of WoW players are bored of the game right now, and only playing because they somehow feel like they are required to.
    Last edited by moaradin; 2011-02-18 at 08:13 PM.

Warcraft. Warcraft never changes.

FO reference...sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Hakto View Post
    sorry to break this to you but 205 votes does not a poll make c3pio.
    Apparently you missed the last line of the paragraph: While I can't say that this a good reflection of the entire WoW community, I did think is was interesting.

Ah reading, it's fundamental!

Now go play with your Chewbacca.

Wow will be fine, titan will come out, and it will be the new most played mmo.
    Don't you worry though, when the next mmo comes out and people leave you behind like the rest of the games, maybe you will understand, that it's not the game, it's you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Esedess View Post
    sideline question: is either this Athene or this Yawning in any of the Top 5 or Top 10 guilds?
    Someone lives under a rock.

EDIT: Would rather not get a ban for mentioning that, so on topic answer:

I would say it'll probably start talking more about whatever is popular at the time.
    For example, if Rift was OMGSOAWESOMEPOPULARRR then mmo will probably start stalking Rift's blues and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    It's MMO-Champion, not WoW-Champion.
    Every time someone says this Boub kills a kitten.

Anyways, WoW will not "die" for quite a while. There will be a point, however, when Boub will probably consider adding coverage for more games so that the site can still be maintained. I personally hope that SW:ToR will live up the hype and will be the game to finally dethrone WoW and eventually gain some coverage here on MMO-C. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by djinn View Post
    Wow will be fine, titan will come out, and it will be the new most played mmo.
    Don't you worry though, when the next mmo comes out and people leave you behind like the rest of the games, maybe you will understand, that it's not the game, it's you.
    That is a very bold statement. Everquest was the most played MMO much longer than WoW has been. Everquest 2 didn't really become the new most played mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    That is a very bold statement. Everquest was the most played MMO much longer than WoW has been. Everquest 2 didn't really become the new most played mmo.
    Titan is not "WoW 2" though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyro000 View Post
    Titan is not "WoW 2" though.
    lol go tell the WoW fanbase that. Titan will fail the moment it is not a official release
    of WoW 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Baygon View Post
    as the title suggests, what exactly happens to mmo-champion when wow dies, cause looking by the recent changes to the game, and the number of i quit threads, the leaving of well known players such as Athene and Yawning, it seems like WoW is on it's last legs...so what happens to this website when WoW dies? anyone have an idea?
    So you want to tell me that in 12mln community few players like Athene set the future of wow just with leaving the game, yes? ppl always write they will quit because they class got nerfed or something, but they never do. It's just QQ-RAGE-QUIT. :P And who the hell is Yawning? oO

Well, if you would like to stick to common sense, these profit and loss reports are released quarterly, last one being released on February 9, 2011 for the quarter covering Oct. 1st - December 31st, 2010. With the release of Cataclysm on December 7th, 2010, of course the numbers were up. But since the current numbers for the next quarter will likely be released sometime in May of 2011. You could not possibly know the current state of subscriptions. So, like I said, stick to the facts.
    Oh, so I no longer "need to be a president or vice president" to have access to their subscriber numbers? Nice turn around there.

You made a reply to mine, saying that WoW is close to death. You lost any ground to stand on after that statement. Further, I find it hard to believe that after 6 years of constant subscriber growth, they're magically bleeding out numbers now. I'm sure in 2 months you'll find yourself with your foot in your mouth.

Apparently you missed the last line of the paragraph: While I can't say that this a good reflection of the entire WoW community, I did think is was interesting.

Ah reading, it's fundamental!

Now go play with your Chewbacca.
    However a sample of 205 people is not enough data to be considered valid in any form.

I did completely understand your post, there is nothing wrong with my reading or comprehension skills.

I do not have a chewbacca to play with so your last sentence is meaningless.

According to http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

You would require a sample size of over 38,000 to have 95% confidence in the results of any poll about WOW and over 60,000 to have 99% confidence in the results.

205 samples makes it meaningless on any level.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    lol go tell the WoW fanbase that. Titan will fail the moment it is not a official release
    of WoW 2.0
    Well you would think with all the whining of "everyone" being sick of WoW they would be happy to hear that Blizzard is making an entirely new game right? (Its supposed to be an MMOFPS apparently)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    of WoW 2.0
    Considering Blizzard has stated that it's new IP, I doubt anyone is still thinking it's WoW2.0
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    I think the majority of WoW players are bored of the game right now, and only playing because they somehow feel like they are required to.
    Where does this enlightening theory come from?

All of you excellent, wonderful people will find a new site to cheer on.
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-02-18 at 08:30 PM.