Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Maloriak 25HC and Dark Intent!

Hello!

Currently there is a heated forum post on my guild forum about this fight and dark intent, so I'm asking you warlocks this; Who would benefit the most from this buff? a fire mage or a shadowpriest? Note; Under the add phases.

The way I see it is that a fire mage gets the most off it under these 2 phases, more dots, faster redotting and so on. But I'm doing some research about this to be 100 % sure.

Anyone got some info about this?

Should be on the spriest, Spriests have excellent dot uptime. Fire mages dont get as much of a benefit from dot damage than shadow priests. Also, spriests numbers were crunched with the assumption that they have DI.

normally id say spriest but fire mages usually do better in this encounter (its also skill based so if ur mages suck give it to ur priest) boomkins are a good choice too.. give it to ur top dps out of those three classes

and fire mages (if they're good) have the same dot uptime as spriests with lb/combustion/ignites, plus they have a higher crit which = better di uptime

in the end its mostly skill based

Shadowpriests are the best target for Dark Intent, the only spells we cast which are not DoTs are Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death, both of which have cooldown. You won't use Mind Spike in PVE since it removes all of your DoTs except for on adds which need to die fast. If you check Newnoises guide on the Priest forum, the section marked "Does your Warlock love you" he provides the math proving that it is always going to be the biggest increase to raid DPS to put it on a Shadow Priest.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Shadowpriests are the best target for Dark Intent, the only spells we cast which are not DoTs are Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death, both of which have cooldown. You won't use Mind Spike in PVE since it removes all of your DoTs except for on adds which need to die fast. If you check Newnoises guide on the Priest forum, the section marked "Does your Warlock love you" he provides the math proving that it is always going to be the biggest increase to raid DPS to put it on a Shadow Priest.
    Even on a fight such as Maloriak under add phases? Because all the other fights I would not argue with you. It's just under these 2 adds phases, who would get the most from it and what would help the raid the most? a fire mage with living bomb, pyro, ignite, combustion vs a SW:P, VT and Mind flay priest.
    Last edited by Kimpan; 2011-02-18 at 05:41 PM.

The adds phase takes up.. what? 10% of that fight at most? Why do you think the mage would benefit the most with DI just because of thaT? Not to mention the adds are a joke and it was easy to burst them all down weeks ago. No offense but to me this post just sounds like.. QQ im a fire mage and i want DI so i can top meters with WTFOMG PWN 50k DEEPZ combustion lolool.

The Spriest is the best option by a lot.

Gherkin, the author of the Dark Intent sticky in this forum, is probably your best bet for solid math on it. I believe you can message him directly if there is no mention of your situation in that thread. Shadow priest is definitely the best for single target, but multi-dotting adds is a different game with different spells being applied.

Nah, It's nothing about that. Our raid has problem taking down the adds and we are trying to find ways to improve the death of the adds.

I'm already getting the DI but I want to make sure it's the best way to give it to me to get the adds down faster then a SP.

Is DI worth swapping mid fight.

if so, id say the fire mage during the green phase and the spriest for the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Zeddicious View Post
    The adds phase takes up.. what? 10% of that fight at most? Why do you think the mage would benefit the most with DI just because of thaT? Not to mention the adds are a joke and it was easy to burst them all down weeks ago. No offense but to me this post just sounds like.. QQ im a fire mage and i want DI so i can top meters with WTFOMG PWN 50k DEEPZ combustion lolool.

The Spriest is the best option by a lot.
    You can't switch DI for that [very important] 10%? Its a valid question. You're dumb.

if you have problem burning the released aberrations during the 10sec window, then give mages, else give Spriests. their dots do more overalldmg and thus dark itnent benefits them more then mages.

Combustion usually takes the #2 or 3 spot on recount for that fight for me, saving it for adds phase and making sure I have all my dots up on maloriak with a nice pyro crit. But again this is normal mode and we DPS him down too quickly and usually have to sit through red/blue and not touch the boss sooooo yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeddicious View Post
    The adds phase takes up.. what? 10% of that fight at most?
    Have you done H-Maloriak? You said "phase" singular and in HC you get two Black Phases and two Green Phases. Handling all add phases flawlessly is by far the key to the HC fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    if you have problem burning the released aberrations during the 10sec window, then give mages, else give Spriests. their dots do more overalldmg and thus dark itnent benefits them more then mages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bignag View Post
    Combustion usually takes the #2 or 3 spot on recount for that fight for me, saving it for adds phase and making sure I have all my dots up on maloriak with a nice pyro crit. But again this is normal mode and we DPS him down too quickly and usually have to sit through red/blue and not touch the boss sooooo yeah.
    It's heroic mode Im talking about

Yeah well, our moonkin is getting one already. Its between the fire mage and sp I want answers about

Like the above poster mentioned, the OP is referring to HEROIC Maloriak. There is an extra AoE phase (Black Phase, which is different than the Green Phase) in which the adds have a significant amount of health and require a good amount of AoE Damage to get down before the next phase occurs.

Fire Mages and Boomkins make excellent targets for DI in this situation. Look at logs of AoE -heavy fights (not 2 target situations which favor Spreist multi-doting, but rather many targets like Magmaw and Halfus), and youll see that the AoE throughput of Fire Mages and Boomkins in a 5+ target scenario is greater than that of a Spriest. That being said, there should be nothing stopping you from switching your DI sub 25% when there are no more adds to deal with and its a straight burn on Maloriak.

survival hunter

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merckx View Post
    You can't switch DI for that [very important] 10%? Its a valid question. You're dumb.
    No you are dumb. Spriest has best up time on solo targets... DI is based off of dot crits... There is no reason you should not be going in to the phase with a full stack on DI. All you need is a dot to crit every 10 seconds and you are fine.

Pick the best player/class for the fight an ignore changing. Even with a macro made, you are just wasting 2 global cooldowns for zero benefit.

15+ Year Old Account
    If the Shadow priest is dotting 6 targets instead of spamming Mind Sear, then he's your guy. And he should be, or he's bad and needs to l2p
    A Boomkin would be second because they multidot too, and Starfall is affected by DI.
    Fire Mage would be third because of cooldown limitations.

Make sure you cast corruption on 2+ targets after shadow flame to keep DI up on your buddy.

R.I.P. YARG