[Music] Between the Buried and Me

I don't think enough can be said about this band. I haven't really listened to them too much in the past but I've really started to get into them recently, and my god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYJHel-mgM (part 1)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4wfkIcKBzg (part 2)

Only they can transition from metal to line-dance country. I highly encourage people to listen to this band!

I didn't click the link, but I'm assuming you mean Ants of the Sky?

Personally, I absolutely love Between the Buried and Me. If you watch ANY videos of Blake Richardson, the drummer, you will be amazed. I know a lot of people can't wrap their heads around Death Metal lyrics and such, but personally the singer has some of the best I've heard. The clean vocals also send a chill down my spine.

It may just be me, loving progressive music, but I think everyone should at least give Between the Buried and Me a chance. Especially their two latest albums, Colors, and The Great Misdirect. Preferably from start to end, as they're some great, seamless concept albums.

Meh. Metalcore. Well, they are better than most metalcore out there (looking at you, As i lay crying), i think they try too hard to be prog sometimes and lack the chops to pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudosavior View Post
    It may just be me, loving progressive music, but I think everyone should at least give Between the Buried and Me a chance. Especially their two latest albums, Colors, and The Great Misdirect. Preferably from start to end, as they're some great, seamless concept albums.
    Indeed, those two albums are easily some of the best in the 2000-2010 decade.

Meh. Metalcore. Well, they are better than most metalcore out there (looking at you, As i lay crying), i think they try too hard to be prog sometimes and lack the chops to pull it off.
    They're about as Metalcore as Avenged Sevenfold is Metalcore. Their first album and a few select songs across Alaska, Colors and The Great Misdirect have some Metalcore elements, but to label them as such is highly inaccurate. Hell, they haven't even had a breakdown in their music since 2004.

Yea... A7X was definitely metalcore at some point. Probably before they realized they could make more money by being even more generic than metalcore.

What genre would you put them in? Prog metal? With giants like Cynic, Athiest, Opeth and Dream Theater? BTBAM doesn't really compare to them =/

15+ Year Old Account
    Colors is just amazing. great band.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been listening to these guys since their inception in the late 90's. The Silent Circus was a spectacular piece of work, albeit, Blake and Dusty (orginally from Glass Casket) are not part of the band as this time. For those that are a fan of earlier BTBAM, check out Prayer for Cleansing. It was Tommy and Paul's original band (with Tommy on Guitar) and showcases their hardcore roots quite well.

Also keep your eyes peeled for a new Glass Casket album coming out soon. If it's anything like their two previous efforts, it will be devastating.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
    Yea... A7X was definitely metalcore at some point. Probably before they realized they could make more money by being even more generic than metalcore.
    A7X is a good band, I don't get why it's cool to hate popular bands just because they're popular. Yeah, their sound is marketable, but that doesn't automatically make it bad. But anyways, what I was getting at was A7X's first two albums were absolutely metalcore, but they sound nothing like their new albums now. BTBAM is similar, albeit with far less metalcore in the beginning and even more diverse sounds later on.

What genre would you put them in? Prog metal? With giants like Cynic, Athiest, Opeth and Dream Theater? BTBAM doesn't really compare to them =/
    I wouldn't put them in any major genre, because their music doesn't conform to any particular genre more than the other. I mistakenly put Agalloch under the Black Metal Label, but after listening to their entire discography I laugh at that label, as I'm sure anybody who's actually listened to them would.

And one last thing that I didn't cover earler, what makes you say they don't have the chops for prog metal?(I'm assuming you mean technical skill, otherwise ignore everything I say from here on out). They are all clearly jazz-trained and extremely skillful, they just don't try to explode your face with 10,000 guitar and drum solos per song. I'm a classical guitarist myself, and can say without a doubt that some of their stuff is ridiculously hard to play. That doesn't necessarily make good music, though.

I've personally been unable to get into any of their releases post-Alaska. The Silent Circus is one of the best metalcore albums ever recorded. If you look at a lot of metalcore after 2003, you'll see major influences from that recording.

I'm really starting to think that BtBaM is a really underrated band. Hardly anyone mentions it as one of their favorites or even a 'good' band of today.

But on an unrelated note, I'm extremely pumped for their new album coming out April 12th.

I'm really starting to think that BtBaM is a really underrated band. Hardly anyone mentions it as one of their favorites or even a 'good' band of today.

But on an unrelated note, I'm extremely pumped for their new album coming out April 12th.
    Posted their new EP sneak peek in the metal thread =D

Woah haha this caught my attention on the front page, kinda suprised to see a BTBAM thread here!

I got into them around the Alaska album, Colors is a fucking masterpeice though. I would suggest anyone who hasn't heard them before to check that album out.

I haven't listened to The Great Misdirect yet though, or any of the new previews. I should get on that!

15+ Year Old Account
    i learned of this band when i was in college. one of my good friends hosted a late night metal show on the college radio station and he recommended them to me. they are pretty tight. shortly after he introduced me to their music, my friend and i saw the lead singer at barnes and noble and asked him if he would spend some time in the studio with him for a show. the dude was cool as shit and hung out the entire time, answered questions from callers, and just generally talked about their music. was an awesome show that night.

ive dug them ever since.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Hell, they haven't even had a breakdown in their music since 2004.
    White Walls?

Between The Buried And Me is my absolute favourite band ever. Unfortunately, they are playing their headlining show in Vancouver the day after Tiesto comes to Kelowna, so I doubt I'll be able to make it to the show...*sigh* Can't wait for the new EP though, shit's gonna be dope!
    There's A "Hardmode" In My Pants, And I Want You To "Beat" It.

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    • [li]I will track down anyone mentioning an emulated server/sandbox on my forums, find where he lives, and steal all his left shoes.[/li]

I think my brothers playing a show with them in Pittsburgh in april sometime . Small world. Good band.

---------- Post added 2011-02-27 at 05:35 AM ----------

You'd probably like the new Emmure album too.

I can't get into it right now unless I'm pvping, cause I'm too busy enjoying the new Bayside album.
    Stream: Gurkalicious

Fantastic band, that I discovered this year.
    About labels, I'd call them "Progressive Metal", that's probably the one that fits the best.
    Alaska hasn't clicked yet, but Colors and The Great Misdirect are fantastic, I'd say the Dream Theater-influence on TGM is pretty clear, if they're continuing to move on to a more progressive-way, I'll be happy.

Got into these guys after hearing Selkies: The Endless Obsession on one of my internet radio stations and picked up Alaska. Knew about them way before that, though, thanks to ads run in the early days of the revamped Headbanger's Ball (of all places). After seeing the Sun of Nothing "interpretation" on the Victory Records website though, it was all over. Colors and The Great Misdirect are 2 just indescribably awesome albums, and I honestly couldn't be happier that they're moving in a more progressive direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Honestly, I'd put Colors on par with Focus or Morningrise. That album is just fantastic.

(Also, nice name )

---------- Post added 2011-03-01 at 02:14 PM ----------

Pumped for it, but the name makes me cringe.