Deleted

[Movies] PotC Original trilogy - Bad ending?

I rewatched all 3 parts in row several days ago, paying attention to the story and everything and when it finally ended I had bitter-sweet feeling left inside me regarding the will-elizabeth relationship.
    I'm not talking about the overall ending, nor saying that it should always end happily. I'm talking about how their relationship quickly progressed in 1st movie to the point where they're like, ok we're getting married, what now?

And when 2nd part begins new trend sets in, and continues in 3rd movie, where it every once in a while finds a new reason to off-set their relationship/wedding. Finally after full 2nd and almost full 3rd movie they rushly get married and Will receives the curse, so bam all of the sudden new thing off-setting their relationship. Seriously is it just me that felt director should've moved on from their relationship in 1st part and deal with other stuff in 2nd and 3rd?

Just my 2 cents, hopefully I won't get flamed by fans for this.
    Last edited by mmoc98b28eb1ac; 2011-11-03 at 11:27 PM.

I thought of this when I saw your first line.
    Last edited by Tootsweet; 2011-11-03 at 11:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have said many times in the past that the Will and Elizabeth characters should have not returned after the first movie outside of maybe a cameo. Their story was already told and finished in the first movie. The series should have been just like the Indiana Jones movies. Each new movie should have focused on Jack and a whole new adventure with a whole (or at least mostly) brand new cast of supporting characters. Bring back some of the Black Pearl crew members like Gibbs, Barbosa, and the obvious RD-D2/C-3PO comic relief pair maybe, but nothing more. Hell, even the monkey would be fine to bring back. Will, Elizabeth and Norrington should have been reduced to a cameo or mention and nothing more.

Deleted
    Imho it should've been like lily and marshal in himym. They got married but continued to be awesome in their own way

Deleted
    I have no problem with it tbh. Star-crossed lovers scenario most likely?

And I thought the plot was nice, if a bit confusing sometimes, and got tied up nicely, with a good opening for a continued story. That said, I very much dislike the 4th movie... *sigh*

Deleted
    Am i the only one who enjoyed all of the PotC movies?
    Altough i have to admit that the calyptos scene before the final battle (in movie 3) and the 3D effects in the fourth movie was disappointing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the first movie and hated both sequels

didn't see the other thing they made more recently, its a pity it didn't have legs beyond the original story

In my opinion POTC kind of suffered the same problems the Matrix did. The first one did so well that they seemed to rush the next two out. However, I didn't mind the Will-Elizabeth romance to be honest. The confusing part for me was the whole Elizabeth-Jack part.

The first trilogy was great imo. The first one was clearly the best but pt 2 and 3 were decent enough flicks thanks to Bill Nighy and the storyline surrounding the flying Dutchman. I didn't care that much about the Will/Elizabeth story, I just considered it transport moments of sort. I can't really comment on the ending because I didn't care enough about it pretty much. The fourth film was plain and simple garbage in my opinion, it was lackluster in the same way 2 and 3 were but without Bill Nighy carrying the film it just when down the poopstation.

My 2 cents anyway, I love the Davy Jones character which makes me okay with pretty much anything they do in pt 2 and 3.

The only one of these movies I liked was Curse of the Black Pearl. I don't like ANYTHING about any of the others. I wish they had stopped at one.

I liked the whole series but I definitely agree that they should have just left the love-story plot behind. I really enjoyed On Stranger Tides more than the 2nd and 3rd movies just because it focused more on Jack Sparrow than it did anything else. I wish they had done this for all of them, because I really didn't care about Will and Elizabeth after the first movie. Okay, you're married, go live a happy life. Oh well. They're still good movies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I liked the whole series but I definitely agree that they should have just left the love-story plot behind. I really enjoyed On Stranger Tides more than the 2nd and 3rd movies just because it focused more on Jack Sparrow than it did anything else. I wish they had done this for all of them, because I really didn't care about Will and Elizabeth after the first movie. Okay, you're married, go live a happy life. Oh well. They're still good movies.
    Good? Definetly. But they had potential for greatness (similar to lotr) that they imho didn't succssed at using it.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I loved the first movie and hated both sequels

didn't see the other thing they made more recently, its a pity it didn't have legs beyond the original story
    I am exactly the same way. The first one was good, but they were trying so hard to play off of the success of the first film that they shoveled out crap to make money as quickly as possible. I haven't watched the most recent film, but even my friends that love the other movies said it was very blah.

The characters were popular and a romantic arc is a staple in adventure movies. It also allowed them to take the themes of love and duty--very strong from the first movie--and really play them up into a much more emotional and tragic storyline for the second and third movies (not just Will & Elizabeth, but also Davy Jones and Calypso).

The 4th movie was not liked as much, and I suspect not having Will and Elizabeth or a strong romantic arc was a big reason for that.

---------- Post added 2011-11-05 at 01:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
    I am exactly the same way. The first one was good, but they were trying so hard to play off of the success of the first film that they shoveled out crap to make money as quickly as possible. I haven't watched the most recent film, but even my friends that love the other movies said it was very blah.
    Second and third were not as good as the original, but they are alright for what they set out to be: they are big, loud, and fun. The characters are memorable and the action is great. Davy Jones is a good villain (Bill Nighy could make reading the back of a cereal box seem epic) but IMO Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) is one of the alltime best movie villains and I am glad they brought him back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    The characters were popular and a romantic arc is a staple in adventure movies. It also allowed them to take the themes of love and duty--very strong from the first movie--and really play them up into a much more emotional and tragic storyline for the second and third movies (not just Will & Elizabeth, but also Davy Jones and Calypso).

The 4th movie was not liked as much, and I suspect not having Will and Elizabeth or a strong romantic arc was a big reason for that.

---------- Post added 2011-11-05 at 01:38 PM ----------

Second and third were not as good as the original, but they are alright for what they set out to be: they are big, loud, and fun. The characters are memorable and the action is great. Davy Jones is a good villain (Bill Nighy could make reading the back of a cereal box seem epic) but IMO Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) is one of the alltime best movie villains and I am glad they brought him back.
    The director should've atleast followed the timeline set in first movie. Rhytm of story development completely changes.

I liked all of the movies so far, yes, shoot me if you like. Barbossa is a bad ass, as is Jack. Elizabeth was a text book Mary Sue, and Will was bland and uninteresting, they should of been dumped after the first movie, the sequels would of been much better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I liked all of the movies so far, yes, shoot me if you like. Barbossa is a bad ass, as is Jack. Elizabeth was a text book Mary Sue, and Will was bland and uninteresting, they should of been dumped after the first movie, the sequels would of been much better.
    Fitted 2 and 3 in one movie (with cuts ofc), and made on stranger tides 3rd? = Epic trilogy

If you remove all the Elizabeth and Will scenes you won't miss anything, and both movies will fit together in one bigger movie

Personally I only liked the 1st and 4th PotC