Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I just ordered my computer, I'd like to know what you think of it?

1x ASUS G73SW-A1
    - Display: 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen (1920x1080)-
    - Dead Pixel Warranty: ASUS Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) 30 Day Pixel Guarantee - (Included on ASUS Standard NON-Upgraded Displays)
    - Processor: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache) - Standard
    - Thermal Compound: Stock OEM Thermal Compound ( IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU Provided FREE with Processor Upgrade!)
    - Graphics Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 460M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
    - External Display Video Adapters: No Video Adapter
    - Ram: 12,288MB (12GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB 2x2GB)-
    - XOTICFX Backlit Keyboard: Flame Red Backlit Keyboard Modification
    - XOTICFX Backlit W-A-S-D Key Color Options: Standard Matching Color WASD Keys
    - Optical Drive: 4X Blu-Ray Reader / 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive - Standard
    - Primary Hard Drive: - 1,000GB (1TB) 5400RPM (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)
    - Second Hard Drive: - 500GB (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid 32MB Cache (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) - Default

This thing is going to be my baby!
    Q. Why are there so few female politicians?
    A. Because it takes too long to makeup on two faces

wth do you want us to say? Grats? Great job?

If you wouldn't be insecure about the purchase you wouldn't come here asking random people what they think..
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier10101
    Yep, humans went around in those days casting balls of nature and stars at each other, and healing each other on the battlefield with thrown leaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skvadrin View Post
    1x ASUS G73SW-A1
    - Display: 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen (1920x1080)-
    - Dead Pixel Warranty: ASUS Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) 30 Day Pixel Guarantee - (Included on ASUS Standard NON-Upgraded Displays)
    - Processor: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache) - Standard
    - Thermal Compound: Stock OEM Thermal Compound ( IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU Provided FREE with Processor Upgrade!)
    - Graphics Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 460M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
    - External Display Video Adapters: No Video Adapter
    - Ram: 12,288MB (12GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB 2x2GB)-
    - XOTICFX Backlit Keyboard: Flame Red Backlit Keyboard Modification
    - XOTICFX Backlit W-A-S-D Key Color Options: Standard Matching Color WASD Keys
    - Optical Drive: 4X Blu-Ray Reader / 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive - Standard
    - Primary Hard Drive: - 1,000GB (1TB) 5400RPM (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)
    - Second Hard Drive: - 500GB (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid 32MB Cache (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) - Default

This thing is going to be my baby!
    Looks like shit for wow, even my laptop would do it better :S

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpoof View Post
    wth do you want us to say? Grats? Great job?

If you wouldn't be insecure about the purchase you wouldn't come here asking random people what they think..
    This subforum is about threads regarding computers. He's asking you what you think of it.

I agree tbh.. And now that I read through the specs;

2x4GB and 2x2GB ram sticks? You need 12 GB for a laptop or whatever that is? 17" screen? 1080 (hd) runs on WAY higher inch measurement then 17.. CPU is average / bad, graphics card was a terrible choice because of the M-model..

EDIT: Clarification;

Relative opinion here according to what you paid for this purchase, but judging by the specs and the forum you are posting in (a gaming forum), I'd presume that the laptop / PC is for gaming.

- 5400 RPM on the harddrive is terrible, you won't be gaming alot with this anytime soon.
    - CPU is average as I said, merely due to it being almost identical to old generation Core2Duo CPUs (which would've cost you less and probably have the same performance judging by your other parts), 6 MB cache isn't alot while there are 12MB floating out there.
    - Graphics card is bad, it's an old generation and probably cheap aswell (maybe that's why you chaught it to not waste money), GTX4xx series are great, but the 460 mobile is after all a 460 mobile.
    - 12 GB you won't ever use unless it's a MAC you're buying (which would show that you'd have other specs), it is a waste of money, especially having different sticks which would result in dual-channel memory not working.
    - 17" screen on a laptop is fine, but it's a laptop, and if it "truly" is an 1080p native screen, keep in mind that it would be too small for you to see the real HD. It would look good, but it wouldn't look as good as on a 22" 1080p screen, or a 50"+ plasma TV.

So, in my opinion, terrible choice.
    Last edited by Kpoof; 2011-03-15 at 06:18 PM.
    Yep, humans went around in those days casting balls of nature and stars at each other, and healing each other on the battlefield with thrown leaves.

Well, its a laptop bro.... Not really much we can comment on.

Its nice for what it is, a portable PC with "Minimal" gaming potential.

If it was a desktop I'm quite sure you would recieve alot of good information and constructive suggestions to make it better without much more $ invested.

My suggestion: If you plan on gaming significantly build a PC, its fun and exciting to see what happens!

10+ Year Old Account

2x4GB and 2x2GB ram sticks? You need 12 GB for a laptop or whatever that is? 17" screen? 1080 (hd) runs on WAY higher inch measurement then 17.. CPU is average / bad, graphics card was a terrible choice because of the M-model..

It's a laptop... The GTX 460M is a Mobile GPU seeing as you can't get a standard GTX 460 in a Laptop. The CPU outperforms most Phenom II desktop based processors and 17.3" is standard on Laptops for 1080p.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

15+ Year Old Account

I'm not entirely sure what to say to you after this.

Besides you're wrong? About everything except the RAM... And no, I'm not being sarcastic.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Why are you here if you cant give some proper feedback instead of wasting your time being a dick

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what to say to you after this.

Besides you're wrong? About everything except the RAM... And no, I'm not being sarcastic.
    I'm wrong? Well, if you are so sure, then why are you on this forum asking for opinions?

I didn't mean literally "runs on way higher inch measurement", I meant merely that if you are going to watch HD movies, you might want to prefer to watch them through a HDMI on a TV or something, because on that of a small screen, you'd barely notice the difference between 720p and 1080p with your eyes if you weren't looking for it.

Like Elgand said, if you'd be going for gaming, this isn't your best choice. 5200 RPM is still very slow, and 12 GB won't help you besides emptying your pocket and not running on full potential with the different RAM modules.

Yes, the GTX 460m is indeed the same, but I was merely pointing that if you really are going to play games alot on it, a 470 would do much better, or even a 480. The 460 is itself a good card though, so no real points there. It's just the RAM, HD and the CPU that worries me.

Deleted
    I'm wrong? Well, if you are so sure, then why are you on this forum asking for opinions?
    He isnt the one asking for help

15+ Year Old Account
    you're essentially saying that a gtx460 isn't worth it beacuse the gtx470 and gtx480 are available...it is possible the laptop isn't offered with either, in which case the 460 is his best choice. it's not a bad card by any means; just because it's not "the best" doesn't make it bad.

he has two hard drives, I'm making the assumption that windows and OS are on the 500GB and the 1TB is a storage drive, but we will see.

it's a laptop, he may as well get the best screen he can (which he did), I don't see the point in criticizing him because it's "small" (large by laptop standards). Would he have been better off getting a lower resolution screen? If not, then he made the best choice.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

I changed the HD on my order from a 1TB 5400 rpm to a 750GB 7200 rpm

---------- Post added 2011-03-15 at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    you're essentially saying that a gtx460 isn't worth it beacuse the gtx470 and gtx480 are available...it is possible the laptop isn't offered with either, in which case the 460 is his best choice. it's not a bad card by any means; just because it's not "the best" doesn't make it bad.
    as such is the case. The Asus G73SW-A1 automatically comes with a 460, i had no other choice

I have a xps m1530 that I bought way back...and it was poop after a few months. But even now with a few tweaks here and there it still runs a few graphic intense games, of course not in the best of settings xD. Any who my point is the gtx 460m is what I think a lot of gaming laptops will come with currently...(I think). Well, of course there would be others that are better but its more costly, while this might be decent for a "cost effective" gaming laptop. Plus it can run most games, even if you are getting about 10+ fps in ultra settings. Look at me I can't even select ultra haha. So, I think its fine for a gaming laptop and if it was for a good price, its fine.

P.S I could be wrong and all silly about this =P. But that's what I think.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kpoof, word of advice: Watch what you say in this forum, it is up for scrutiny by other posters, including Computer forum moderators. I'd also tone down your apparent level of hatred and anger, it's unbecoming of you.

On topic: The laptop is decent, should be fine for games. I know it would most likely out-perform my current desktop (soon to change with i5-2500k :3) but it still could be better. Also, not sure if you really need the i7 as it's a huge price jump for really just hyper-threading. Are you going to be doing character/video rendering and stuff like that? Like making videos etc etc?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post

Good choice the faster speed is better then 300Gb extra space its pretty hard to use up 1TB for me at least it was I got about 550Gb used up in mine. atm Im building a PC and chose a WD 500GB 7200 RPM over the Seagat 1TB 5400. Also Good choice on the SSD put your most used programs + your OS and you will operate at amazing speeds. Overall great choice for a laptop IMO DESKTOPS FTW! ---> and some peoples argument might be I need it for school or work.... my response get a cheap one then but if you need gaming on the go then you made the right choice.

---------- Post added 2011-03-15 at 01:14 PM ----------

On topic: The laptop is decent, should be fine for games. I know it would most likely out-perform my current desktop (soon to change with i5-2500k :3) but it still could be better. Also, not sure if you really need the i7 as it's a huge price jump for really just hyper-threading. Are you going to be doing character/video rendering and stuff like that? Like making videos etc etc?[/QUOTE]
    Actually since they are expecting the 8 Cores to come out the i7's dropped a lot I picked up my i7 960 for 219 and I don't regret it.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i5-2500K for $180 > i7-960 for $220 though still. :P

microcenter

Or if you want the fancy 2nd gen i7-2600K, they have it for like $250.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Kpoof, word of advice: Watch what you say in this forum, it is up for scrutiny by other posters, including Computer forum moderators. I'd also tone down your apparent level of hatred and anger, it's unbecoming of you.

On topic: The laptop is decent, should be fine for games. I know it would most likely out-perform my current desktop (soon to change with i5-2500k :3) but it still could be better. Also, not sure if you really need the i7 as it's a huge price jump for really just hyper-threading. Are you going to be doing character/video rendering and stuff like that? Like making videos etc etc?
    I'm going to game design school. So not only will I be needing to run games, I need the muscle for photoshop, maya, 3ds max, and lots of rendering/editing software. as the poster above me said, the i7 dropped in price so I was able to get it for a relatively good value.

Stood in the Fire chase_the_mofo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Attention whore, where are admins to lock this troll thread?

Here. -llDemonll
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-03-15 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    i5-2500K for $180 > i7-960 for $220 though still. :P

microcenter

Or if you want the fancy 2nd gen i7-2600K, they have it for like $250.
    BUT then you don't get too say you have a i7 :P