Mind numbing/tongues and HoTs.

Do cast speed slows like mind-numbing poison, curse of tongues, and necrotic strike still affect the time between hot/dot ticks since they are affected by haste, and this is "negative haste" ?

Thanks.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

15+ Year Old Account
    i dont know but, cast speed is what you use to cast spells not to put up hots ;P
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

they made hots and (non-melee) dots scale with haste ..first by the glyphs of corruption and rejuv, then for every hot/dot in 4.0.... with the glyphs, putting up the cast speed slow would increase the time between ticks (because haste reduced duration and time between ticks, so this did the opposite)

I was wondering if that was still the case or not....
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

"Haste has been auto-updating for DoTs for quite some time, in fact it has been doing it since patch 4.0 went live. If you gain or lose a haste effect, then all of your currently applied DoTs will automatically alter their tick times based upon your new haste effect.

Similarly, all cast time debuffs also influence DoT tick time. If you have DoTs rolling on a target and are hit with Curse of Tongues or a boss effect such as Malleable Goo on PP, then all of your DoTs will have their tick times reduces by exactly the same ratio as your casted spells -- which really sucks for Malleable Goo by the by, 5 second DoT ticks are not cool, not cool at all.

Edit -- It should be noted that Haste is the only mechanic which automatically updates itself, no other effect does this.

Crit, spell power, and damage increasing effects will only auto-update on DoTs if they have an auto-refresh mechanic such as shadow priests with Sin and Punishment. If you do not have an auto-refresh mechanic on your DoTs, then all of these values are fixed upon cast.

Also note that the above only applies to buffs that you gain -- debuffs that the mob or player gain will automatically cause the spell to update. If you gain a buff which increases your damage by 30%, then your DoTs that are already on the target will not gain this benefit unless they either auto-refresh or you manually cast them. If a mob or player gains a debuff which increases damage take, then all DoTs currently on the target will gain the added benefit. Similarly, if you lose a buff that increase your damage by 30%, then your DoTs will not reflect this unless the they auto-refresh or you manually recast them. "

http://www.threadmeters.com/v-7nj/Grux_How_DOTs_work/

If it does not affect your haste, it will not affect your hots.

If it is a purely "cast time" effect on your character then your hots will NOT be affected.
    example:
    Curse of tongues:
    Forces the target to speak in Demonic, increasing the casting time of all spells by 30%. Only one Curse per Warlock can be active on any one target. Lasts 30 sec.

This spell, if working as intended, should increase the cast time only of any spells with a cast time by x amount. When they originally made it so that dots scaled with haste, i do believe that there was an un-intended/forseen effect that would increase the tick time of a dot by x amount, but i believe it was hotfixxed in late 2009 and that hotfix would have proceeded into the current version of the game. Im not able to log on and double check it at the moment to confirm, maybe you could get a warlock buddy to duel you and not kill you in .00006 seconds to try it out.

Cast time debuffs used to affect my pallies judgement mana return "HoT". I'm not sure if it still does but if it slowed that down I don't see why druid HoT's wouldn't be pwned too.

side note, haste will NOT be automaticlly applied to your HOTS

The haste effect (increase or decrease) is calculated when you cast your hot OR you refresh your hot

Example, I have my normal haste and cast a hot
    Hot is ticking
    I get haste buff
    Hot is still ticking as it was before i got the haste buff
    I refresh/cast a hot on a player
    The NEW hot now has the modified haste(the buff)
    the buff falls off
    My hot STILL has that haste value untill the hot expires or is refreshed/reapplied

I just checked the spell details for malleable goo, mind-numbing poison, and curse of tongues. Malleable good reduces spell haste, and the other two player debuffs reduce casting speed. Iamtheway is probably right in that they don't affect hot/dot ticking.

Ive never really noticed a difference in my hots ticks, both before and after cata when CoT was put on me, or any other thing that was an increase in cast time. In pvp i usually just annoyed ppl when i had mind numbing/other cast time debuffs on by hotting fully up and running away like a coward

Quote Originally Posted by Woogs View Post
    I just checked the spell details for malleable goo, mind-numbing poison, and curse of tongues. Malleable good reduces spell haste, and the other two player debuffs reduce casting speed. Iamtheway is probably right in that they don't affect hot/dot ticking.
    Hmm....I'll probably still have to find someone to test this with. was hoping to get a more concrete answer, but it doesnt seem like many people are in agreement.

The tooltip says "reduces casting speed" nothing about haste in general.. Going from that term, it should not reduce your haste.. And therefore not your dots/hots..
    But might have to test it to be sure!