Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spondoo View Post
    The absence of world PvP in GW:2 greatly disturbs me..
    Kinda hard to do when there isn't 2 or more factions to compete each other (alliance & horde) I think.

Personally I think it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    "Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind." - Terry Pratchett

OT: Let's say I absolutely loathed everything about GW1, will I loathe this too?
    GW2 has little to do with GW1 tbh. Except for the "Skill-Deck", but even that was altered to be more dynamic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    You don't think the WvW mists can satisfy your desire of world pvp?
    Isn't WvW just like huge scale BGs? So its basically structured zerging is how I would interpret it, which isn't always fun. It's fun the first few times but then it just becomes a big ranged vs ranged and melee get picked off so easily. Though with the no designated healer style it might be less frustrating and the fact the melee type profession can opt to use ranged weapons as well. Ranged thief and ranged warrior can work.

World PvP was random and spontaneous which made it fun. One second you'd be running around farming, unaware, the next some rogue would open up on you then you'd crush his face and have to hide and recover while he ran to res. And then he'd bring more people then you'd ask some guildies and general if they wanted to destroy some horde.
    You better herp yourself before you derp yourself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanyKong View Post
    Those are team compositions designed to complete very specific tasks.
    Which was the point being made. You said there isn't one best build, but there clearly is if as you say "there are certain builds that are better than other builds at certain tasks.". The number of options available in a game doesn't change that fact. Sure WoW might only have 40 where as GW2 has 1200 but it doesn't change the fact that there are general options and specific options that you will be taken. Choice for the sake of choice isn't a good thing. And having less choices isn't a bad thing either. 1200 skills might sound like a loot but how many are truly unique and not just minor differences for "class flavor". Where most of the 40 are different far more then in just minor ways.

Holy trinity doesn't refer to singular roles. It refers to having 3 basic roles that need fulfilled. GW2 is simply allowing everyone to provide those roles and with the ability to choose your own build is also allowing some to be better those roles then others. Everything in GW2 will still need those 3 basic roles in order to succeed and that is where it is only renaming the trinity instead of "doing away with it". GW2 isn't restricting the trinity to the class you choose.

If every class can do the same role equally then is there really a large variation in skills? Does it really matter if there is 1200 over 40? Just use 40 skills and have every class have unique animations/models for when they use those skills. But thats besides the point of the Trinity. GW2 hasn't done away with it but has merely renamed it and is approaching it differently.

Which isn't bad, but also isn't all its hyped up to be at times. I have nothing against new and different approaches to things. I just don't like how almost every game that comes out uses marketing to say what they are doing is different and all new and revolutionary when it really is the same thing with a different label. And I have nothing against GW. Their way has clearly worked enough to do a sequel, and in the end thats all that really matters.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2011-04-19 at 07:34 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Spondoo View Post
    Isn't WvW just like huge scale BGs? So its basically structured zerging is how I would interpret it, which isn't always fun. It's fun the first few times but then it just becomes a big ranged vs ranged and melee get picked off so easily. Though with the no designated healer style it might be less frustrating and the fact the melee type profession can opt to use ranged weapons as well. Ranged thief and ranged warrior can work.
    There is a bit more to it than that. It is an objective based "battleground" if you will. It is supposed to be very big though, like 3 or 4 maps put together or something like that. What little we know is that include objectives for all styles of play that include the big zergs or even the solo play if you want. If you want to gank than go pick on the soloers. It includes 3 different worlds (servers) at one time and will last a week before they rotate the servers.

It does look interesting and with no monthly fee that is damn sweet. I enjoy WoW, but not so much anymore. I raid twice a week and being that I've done everything else you can do basically I'm so bored of the game now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    I know it's fun to b1tch about something but please..your post is full of non-sense.. ..if you don't know anything about game, don't comment it.

It's true that OP post may confuse some people. Elementalist can't use "all specs" in combat.. he just can use all Elements .. difference between WoW mage and GW2 Elementalist is that Mage is specing into one element while Elementalist is specializing into each element and can use them in combat but each player can be specialized in each element differently (by weapon choices and different traits)

And of course there is small scale PvP ... and believe me... GW2 will have more RPG elements than WoW will ever have.
    Stop... just stop talking

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn View Post
    Stop... just stop talking
    Because you said so? give me proper reason Mr. Turd.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    So we're to basically say he's correct since he's SUPPOSEDLY in the Alpha?
    What are you talking about? Everything I said is from my own knowledge of playing the demo and the official wiki. I am not saying the OP is correct, I don't even think he is an alpha tester, but everything he has stated has been around for a while, go to any fansite, check the wiki, or read the official articles and you can find it. Not everything they said is completely accurate though, there will be no 10 man dungeons.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-19 at 09:00 PM.

I'm going to step in this thread quickly and then leave.

There is so much mis-information in this thread it's not even funny. From both the OP and the thread responders. Too much to even quote. If you want GW2 information, I recommend their website, wiki, PCGamer, Kotaku, and precious few other places. Not MMO-Champion.

So many arguments have been started over things that are wrong in the first place.

Just to clarify:

GW2 is pretty much nothing like GW1. The only thing they share is storyline and world. GW2 will not be a traditional MMO. But it will be a MMO. There is no PVE content involving groups larger than 5 planned. PVP has not had a declared limit, but it is speculated that it could go as high as 90v90.

I'd like to say that I think GW2 will be the greatest thing ever and I will quit WoW to play it, but I'd be lying to myself. Unfortunately, I'll probably end up playing it for a month or two then going back to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleina View Post
    No offence, but there are some untrue statements in this write up.
    First, GW2 isn't in an out of house alpha yet. All of this information could be gleaned from about an hour of reading Guildwars2guru.com. There is no 10 man "raiding" scenario. Just 5 mans. This way, the developers have very few variables when considering the difficulty of an encounter. Not saying that it will be "Ez mode", What I AM saying is that encounters will RELY on every player knowing their class inside and out + having a high amount of skill to execute. They've stated on numerous occasions that the repeatable branched exploration mode (where choices can change what bosses/ what happens in the dungeon) will take more than your average PUG to complete. By looking at their track record with Hard Mode/ End game from GW1 I'd fullly expect them to deliver. I love seeing your enthusiasm but make sure to double check your facts when posting anything about it.
    They do have 5 & 8 mans already confirmed my appologise didnt mean to say 10mans bad habbit casue of WoW lol.
    Last edited by Spawnxxx; 2011-04-20 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnxxx View Post
    They do have 10mans already confirmed thank you though
    Do you have a source for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Olgierd View Post
    Skill limit is a major turnoff for me. DCUO has the same problem: "Oh, you have all these amazing powers, but wait, you can only use 6 of them at a time. Sure, you could be a lot more versatile and awesome, but nuh-huh."

Limited action bars are for consoles.
    Currently as a Elementalist in the Alpha I have access to 20 abilites all while in combat by simply swapping my stance from fire/ frost / earth / electricity or capt planet oh wait nvm that last one is a secret hahaha anyways I cant reach max level yet but by the time i reach max level i will have access to over 45 spells total while in combat

---------- Post added 2011-04-20 at 12:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Do you have a source for that?
    Anet already confirmed 5 / 8 mans at Pax East 2011. During a Interview with some gaming site. not at the actaul pax east panel but outside of that on the GW2 showing floor while doing interviews. Sorry I didnt mean to say 10mans Im use to saying that from WoW but yes 8 mans are confirmed and they also meantioned about Elite missions which in GW1 were 12mans but we will see.
    Last edited by Spawnxxx; 2011-04-20 at 12:16 AM.

I know about the 5 man dungeons. This is the first I've ever heard about a 10 or 8 man instance. I still don't believe it unless I read from an ANet rep about it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are only 5 man dungeons stop trolling.

http://www.guildmag.com/gmblitz-inte...colin-johanson
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-20 at 12:30 AM.

Sounds awesome, definitely excited

It depends on how good the PvP is and when the release date is. If SW:TOR comes out first, I probably will forget about GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnxxx View Post
    [snip]
    Besides the fact that you're quite obviously trolling, Alpha's are covered under voracious NDA's. Would be amusing to see an IP log followed by a proper dick-wholloping in court from Arenanet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    If it still does the "You can only have x amount of your skills 'equipped' out of y total skills to choose from" crap like the first did, no thanks. Limited to 8 abilities? Fuck that shit.
    At least it makes you think about what abilities your taking or at least how they work together. What's more you have so many abilities to choose from with so many different affects. Yes in wow you have more skills at one time, but overall you have far less and they do far less interesting things.