too bad that beta-forums can't be opened any more, wanted to look if it was adressed by Anet they could have just locked them but keep it readable

---------- Post added 2012-06-20 at 04:28 AM ----------

Colin again on Guru:

Hey all,

I just wanted to say first thank you for all the feedback, comments and suggestions. I wanted to clarify a couple of points, since I think folks raise valid questions here that a worthy of a response:

- This blog post doesn't address stuff from BWE 2 and how we plan to respond to the feedback from it, because this post was written and submitted before BWE 2, long before we compiled all the feedback from the BWE. The posts that go up on our blog are usually written weeks/months in advanced and sent over for editing and then posted when there is a downtime where there isn't anything currently scheduled on our blog. However, keep an eye out on TenTonHammer where Jon and I are currently working on answering questions for Lewis Burnell that answer some very BWE 2 specific questions, many of which have been asked in this very thread.

- This blog post was written from the perspective of the content design team and the folks on it who are directly responsible for the production of event, story, and dungeon content in Gw2. Stuff like cash shop, traits, skill progression, etc. are all handled by other teams in the company, and as such really aren't the focus on this article. The focus here is how we develop content specifically at ArenaNet on the Content Design team, and the metrics we use to help track the success of that content specifically, vs. how content is developed for games with subscription models. The cash shop isn't mentioned in the article because quite frankly, we simply don't design content on our team with the intent of the cash shop being needed to do any of it. Our bonus hope from this article was also to help explain why you should fill out those little surveys in the BWE events!

Hope that helps a bit, I know in this time after the BWE everyone is looking for more information, release dates, or wants to talk about stuff directly tied to this BWE. When this blog post was written, that information wasn't currently available, thus the content presented within.

We realize a lot of you are insanely excited at this point and just want more information period that helps get us towards release. We'll absolutely be getting more information out for all of you, but as usual with our development philosophy until we've fully tested and are happy with changes we're making, we don't want to talk about them. Keep an eye on the internets, lots more is coming from us to shed light into aspects that are probably more up the Gw2Guru fans alley, plog bosts like this content one are really intended more for the casual gaming audience to help draw more attention towards the game and its development.

All the best and thanks again for all your comments everyone! (Insert obligatory smile)
    -Colin
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...7#entry1534827

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Johansen
    plog bosts
    I lold

Is event scaling based on players participating or player contribution?

Quote Originally Posted by Gisei View Post
    Is event scaling based on players participating or player contribution?
    hm what's the difference? I think they said that you have to do a minimum of damage, but reviving others counts towards participation too. When you can't do enough damage the event won't scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    hm what's the difference? I think they said that you have to do a minimum of damage, but reviving others counts towards participation too. When you can't do enough damage the event won't scale.
    I hate when I can't find the right wording... uummm

Would an event scale the same for 20 players playing sub-par as it would for 20 players playing very skillfully? Or perhaps not even based on skill. Would an event scale the same for 20 lv10 players as it would for 20 lv80 players scaled down to 10?

Probably no difference in the levels since they are hoping the down leveling (stills needs a bit of tweaking) will be enough to stop higher levels from being OP. So 20 players with 5 derping and standing in fire with 15 being baller would probably scale the same as 20 people being baller.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

I hate when I can't find the right wording... uummm

Would an event scale the same for 20 players playing sub-par as it would for 20 players playing very skillfully? Or perhaps not even based on skill. Would an event scale the same for 20 lv10 players as it would for 20 lv80 players scaled down to 10?
    no, events will be easier for downscaled lv.80 players because those are naturally more powerful (despite downscaling) than real lv.10 players. But because of downscaling these lv.80 players can't grief the event, they can't oneshot enemies and therefore break the event.

on the sub-par vs. skillful play scaling: as long as one is helping in killing an enemy, the event is scaling. Helping would be reviving or doing a min. amount of damage.

Consider this: when someone is playing bad, he is probably dying soon. When he is dead he doesn't count toward participation and the event is scaled back.

no, events will be easier for downscaled lv.80 players because those are naturally more powerful (despite downscaling) than real lv.10 players. But because of downscaling these lv.80 players can't grief the event, they can't oneshot enemies and therefore break the event.

on the sub-par vs. skillful play scaling: as long as one is helping in killing an enemy, the event is scaling. Helping would be reviving or doing a min. amount of damage.

Consider this: when someone is playing bad, he is probably dying soon. When he is dead he doesn't count toward participation and the event is scaled back.
    Kk. I was hoping it would adjust based on contribution rather than simply participation. Unfortunately, unless down scaling gets a lot of tweaking, a lv80 most likely can 1 hit most lv10 mobs. My lv28 Necro could steamroll lv10 content, and a lv80 is just that much more powerful. I'd like it if event scaling would take into account down scaled players extra power, and adjust it so they aren't doing too much. Then again, tweaking down scaling would be a simpler approach.

Deleted
    Why I have GW2 dreams? Does anyone else have these? Dreaming about playing?

In my dream we were testing some dungeon boss. It was very hard to even get into room and boss filled floor with red-do-not-stand-here circles, loads of moving. When we finally got the boss down there was no loot, since it was beta, but my brother decided to take dragon decoration from the wall. That decoration somehow turner into very cool IRL headphones. I woke up into part where I was considering should I also take one or not. >_>

It has been almost two weeks from last BWE and still I have these dreams. D:

Kk. I was hoping it would adjust based on contribution rather than simply participation. Unfortunately, unless down scaling gets a lot of tweaking, a lv80 most likely can 1 hit most lv10 mobs. My lv28 Necro could steamroll lv10 content, and a lv80 is just that much more powerful. I'd like it if event scaling would take into account down scaled players extra power, and adjust it so they aren't doing too much. Then again, tweaking down scaling would be a simpler approach.
    it's not steamrolling in dungeons at least, as a lv.80 player mentioned
    What about downscalling?
    Like when you go AC (Ascalon Catacombs - Dungeon) with all triats and good gear?
    It's still challenging like 35 or 40 (scaled to 35) or become walk in the park?
    Definitely challenging. Have a bit more damage, that's all.
    but I agree, they should have an eye on this and tweak it so this one-shots aren't possible. Otherwise downscaling would become obsolete. It's there for this reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Yeah, I noticed this, but I'm assuming that that isn't how it will be post launch.

I could get gold by arriving for that last 20 seconds of the event and get gold. I only got bronze if I was extremely late, and I didn't think silver existed for a while.
    Thing is, in the wayfarer's hills, I did some events in the north with my elementalists, for which I technically was 2 level short. But there was a big group and I was able to stay at a distance(using staff), so there was no danger. I pretty much slammed the final boss constantly, but sometimes ressed people and healed a bit with my water skills and I only got bronze participation. Happened a bit later as well. So while in general it might be a bit too easy, there are still faults in the system. I reported it, I hope they can see what the problem was.

everyone who wants to participate in a simple flag-game (pre GW2) take a look in this thread:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1149530-GW2-the-Flag-game-let-s-try-it-now!?p=17239437#post17239437

just place the flag ^^

Does anyone agree with me that they can't achieve a perfect balance with downscaling?

Say you're a lvl 80 with full lvl 80 tiered gear and runes and etc. You have every skill your proffession can have and every elite, with traits. Now you go back to a lvl 15 zone to kill, lets say the Shadow Behemoth. You will get downscaled to that lvl, but you will still have a lot more skills and more powerful gear. I know that your gear downscales as well, but people lvling and just hitting 15 cant possibly have the best gear for a lvl 15 at that point unless they twink themselves. You on the other hand, would be a twink lvl 15.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    Does anyone agree with me that they can't achieve a perfect balance with downscaling?

Say you're a lvl 80 with full lvl 80 tiered gear and runes and etc. You have every skill your proffession can have and every elite, with traits. Now you go back to a lvl 15 zone to kill, lets say the Shadow Behemoth. You will get downscaled to that lvl, but you will still have a lot more skills and more powerful gear. I know that your gear downscales as well, but people lvling and just hitting 15 cant possibly have the best gear for a lvl 15 at that point unless they twink themselves. You on the other hand, would be a twink lvl 15.
    I dunno, every 5 levels you can buy a new armor- and weapon set for bugger all karma. Sure, they won't have SuperMegaAwesomeCrikeyFantastic gear, but it's not like they'll have a reason for using level 6-7 gear at level 15.

That said, yes, you will be more powerful than a level 15 proper character - but you won't be nearly powerful enough to steamroll through anything. You'll still need to use all your skills, your dodge, et cetera about as much as a level 15 character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post
    Why I have GW2 dreams? Does anyone else have these? Dreaming about playing?

In my dream we were testing some dungeon boss. It was very hard to even get into room and boss filled floor with red-do-not-stand-here circles, loads of moving. When we finally got the boss down there was no loot, since it was beta, but my brother decided to take dragon decoration from the wall. That decoration somehow turner into very cool IRL headphones. I woke up into part where I was considering should I also take one or not. >_>

It has been almost two weeks from last BWE and still I have these dreams. D:
    I have never tried the game and I keep having dreams about launch, me and my friends playing together, doing dynamic events in the starting zones. Then I wake up sometime “AW HELL NO”.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    ZOMG so much awesome. Do want that rifle
    (That's the same bow we were talking about yesterday)

Also, GWinsider seems to have missed the significance of a race specific flamethrower model.
    Gah, I tried to look at the models but the bright red background hurt my eyes too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    I have never tried the game and I keep having dreams about launch, me and my friends playing together, doing dynamic events in the starting zones. Then I wake up sometime “AW HELL NO”.
    Damn you guys... I only have nightmares about resubbing to WoW... but waking up seems much more better for me :P
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Deleted
    Something that I have been thinking about is, how big an influx bots will be in GW2, given that there won't be any big incitement for them to be farming gold as we got a road block in terms of the gemshop and all...

I haven't been able to find any thing directly talking about this besides of what we got from the gemshop/microtransactions, but is something that I have been thinking about lately.

What are your guesstimates of botting and goldfarming of times to come?

@griefing:
    There are and will be ways to grief other players. Popular right now is the Mesmer's Teleport, which can drop unwary players who merely zone into an area right off a nearby cliff for example.
    You cant really stop it, just try to minimize it while constantly asking yourself if the cure isnt worst then the disease.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    There are and will be ways to grief other players. Popular right now is the Mesmer's Teleport, which can drop unwary players who merely zone into an area right off a nearby cliff for example.
    You cant really stop it, just try to minimize it while constantly asking yourself if the cure isnt worst then the disease.
    Mesmer portal was changed on BWE2 so that there is "press F to teleport". It is changed because this was possible (moving afk/zoning people)
    Last edited by mmoce60d2079f6; 2012-06-20 at 01:38 PM.