Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    It's gonna get ugly when people learn what this game is REALLY about. Because as genious as the devs are in their marketing videos, they are skirting this fact, and with very good reason.

Again, not a bash, just common sense. People want to constantly progress in every aspect of their lives. And that includes their video games.
    I agree a lot of peopple are going to be getting a bit of a shock. But I do not think Anet is skirting the problem. They have come out and said, on several occasions, "endgame starts at level 1". It's in one of the convention videos and various articles . . . I posted a link to one just a few pages back. It is also a topic of lengthy discussion on guru: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...on-t15527.html

I think Anet is emphasising the 'lack' of typical endgame as much as they can, I would imagine they don't want a load of negative criticism from people when they hit 80. But people see mmo and think endgame in the wow sense (or if you like, see game and assume power creep), so until they've read a few articles or watched a video or two, they won't realise it's different. But Anet can't grab every person who hears the words 'guild wars 2' and individually tell them about endgame.

---------- Post added 2011-06-07 at 11:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    I know most of our leveling will come from Personal Storyline, but players that want to level together, will they still be able to level together, while doing the personal storyline? Or will they only be able to do "side" options? (PvP, dungeons, etc).
    Where do you get this from?

You gain xp from dynaimc events, from dungeons, and from PVP. It's been stated that you could level 1-80 just through PvP if you want to. Personally, I'm planning a mixture of dynamic events and personal story. But the impression I get (and I'm fairly sure this is right) is that you could never touch your personal story, and still hit 80, get gear and so forth.

Edit to add links:
    PvP: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_PvP
    Dynamic events: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dynamic_Events
    Last edited by Sapho; 2011-06-07 at 10:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapho View Post
    Where do you get this from?

You gain xp from dynaimc events, from dungeons, and from PVP. It's been stated that you could level 1-80 just through PvP if you want to. Personally, I'm planning a mixture of dynamic events and personal story. But the impression I get (and I'm fairly sure this is right) is that you could never touch your personal story, and still hit 80, get gear and so forth.

Edit to add links:
    PvP: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_PvP
    Dynamic events: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dynamic_Events
    Yeah, you don't have to level using your personal story. I would say the personal story is not the "intended" way to level, it's there as a side-quest for you to experience and make some impact on your game world. But, isn't it a must to do your personal story to get the dungeons? Or are the "dungeon-stories" just there at the dungeon for you to do whenever you want, assuming you're above the minimum level?

Didn't think of this before so clarification would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    I don't truly believe that it's the "coming from WoW" mentality. It's the "I play video games" mentailty. Most video games are set up with a goal to become as powerful as you can via skills or items, in order to kill someone(thing), or that you will constantly become more powerful and always have ways to improve your items and stats. This will hang people up, as a great many people looking at this game do not, and will not realize this is different.

I'm not saying it's bad by any means. It's different and might work wonderfully for a great many people. But I don't believe it can be summed up as the WoW midset. It's gonna get ugly when people learn what this game is REALLY about. Because as genious as the devs are in their marketing videos, they are skirting this fact, and with very good reason.

Again, not a bash, just common sense. People want to constantly progress in every aspect of their lives. And that includes their video games.
    I don't think its going to get ugly by any means. Yes some folks are going to be shocked by the game because it does not meet their expectations. Frankly that happens on any game. However Anet has been very clear what their focus is. If folks go in expecting Wow style end game raid content after watching the videos and interviews its their own fault for not actually listening.

Yes I expect folks to abandon wow for a bit and then decide that GW2 is not what they wanted. They will go back to wow and play their raiding treadmill. However the beauty of GW2 is that when a tier winds down and they are waiting for the next content patch they can go and try out GW2 without having to pay extra money. There is no need to waste money restoring a sub for a week or two when your bored with your current game you can just log in, patch up and away you go.

Right now I do little in wow outside of raiding. Mostly thats a time issue on my part but I've also grown bored with the rest of the game. I'd played through both sides of the world pre cata, haven't redone horde side but have done alliance. Once you've done the content once it is the same every time, outside of quest phasing the world never changes.

the way GW2 is set up I could wander through a zone I've been through 20 times and theres a chance I'll see something new. Maybe an event I've already done is playing and I can either join in or wander off. Then agian maybe an event I've never seen before has started. I dont have to worry about loosing the challenge because I discovered something new in a low end zone, My character will be scaled to match the encounter. by comparison if someone tells you about a cool quest you missed in wow in a lvl 40 zone you just go in and one hit every enemy in your path at 85 and your victory feels hollow.

Who is John Galt?

Good question regarding dungeons, and I can't think of anything I've read off the top of my head to answer it. It's true they can be played in different modes including one for your personal story (edit: turns out I was wrong about this bit) . . . hmm lemme go search.

Ah-ha gotta love google.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/19/gu...ngeon-reveals/

The first time you play a dungeon, you’ll play through its Story Mode, where one or two members of Destiny’s Edge show up as friendly NPCs to drive the story forward. These stories will be distinct from your character’s own personal story, although you play as your character in both.
    Beating a dungeon’s Story Mode will unlock its Explorable Mode, which tells varied follow-up stories in that same area, unrelated to Destiny’s Edge. This mode is designed to be extremely repeatable, and while not random, will have multiple paths that cause different scenarios and enemies to appear.
    I think the confusion may have come from the use of the term 'story mode' as that does sound like personal story - but apparently is totally distinct from it. So no, it seems pretty certain you won't need to play through your personal story to access the dungeons.
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapho View Post
    Good question regarding dungeons, and I can't think of anything I've read off the top of my head to answer it. It's true they can be played in different modes including one for your personal story (edit: turns out I was wrong about this bit) . . . hmm lemme go search.

Ah-ha gotta love google.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/19/gu...ngeon-reveals/

I think the confusion may have come from the use of the term 'story mode' as that does sound like personal story - but apparently is totally distinct from it. So no, it seems pretty certain you won't need to play through your personal story to access the dungeons.
    Yeah, this is basically what I thought. So, you actually don't have to play your personal story at all to get access to basically everything. Might be some gear or titles you're missing out on, though.

I know they don't want gear to force anyone into a particular playstyle (they say in that article that while dungeon sets will have a particular style, you will be able to get the exact same stats through DEs, pvp etc.) so I can't see you missing out on gear by not doing the personal story. At most, there might be titles and particular gear appearance.

Hoping someone a bit more knowledgeable than me can clear this up, but do you play the Story Mode of a dungeon solo (with NPCs from Destiny's Edge helping you out) and the Explorable Mode you play with other people, or do you play with other people in both?

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    Hoping someone a bit more knowledgeable than me can clear this up, but do you play the Story Mode of a dungeon solo (with NPCs from Destiny's Edge helping you out) and the Explorable Mode you play with other people, or do you play with other people in both?
    As far as I know, you play with others in both.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Psh... Only cause I'm fanboy-ing just as hard over AC3 and ME3 (now Halo 4 as well)

/jest

---------- Post added 2011-06-06 at 11:37 PM ----------

I know, but it's in people's signatures for crying out loud.

ME3 is gonna be amazing. Its AC:Revelations not AC3. AC3 is still coming =)

Nice game and stuff. Might pick it up if it stays free.
    (not quitting wow though) My only issue is whats up with over half the races w/ human faces? Is that always neccessary in modern mmos? All humans?(norn,HUMANS,sylvari)

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Nice game and stuff. Might pick it up if it stays free.
    (not quitting wow though) My only issue is whats up with over half the races w/ human faces? Is that always neccessary in modern mmos? All humans?(norn,HUMANS,sylvari)
    Sheeps want to play themselves and/or what they're familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefuu View Post
    Sheeps want to play themselves and/or what they're familiar with.
    GW2 needs orcs or some sorta green people, maybe even demons

I disagree, orcs are bad character in most games (heck, i dont even like WoWs orcs) and demons are a big no no in a game without factions.

Deleted
    They've got a ferocious race, the charr, a cute little race, the asura, a elven-style nature boy race and 2 humans: normal(ish) and barbarian (viking) like.

It's pretty much covered in my honest opinion.
    Last edited by mmocf7632e0726; 2011-06-07 at 07:46 PM.

I think the races are fine. Sure, there could be a bit more variety but honestly, it doesn't make a big difference. I enjoy playing Humans because of their vulnerability but also because they have the ability to become the greatest (and often do). Their eternal struggle against life and death is also very interesting.

Its it weird too say, that i really hate GW1 but GW 2 will imo be such a great game. it just feel like 2 totally different game.

Quote Originally Posted by Schalde View Post
    Its it weird too say, that i really hate GW1 but GW 2 will imo be such a great game. it just feel like 2 totally different game.
    They are two totally different games. But, at heart, GW2 will still be a Guild Wars game. With ArenaNet doing whatever they want it can only turn out good.

10+ Year Old Account
    There aren't any orcs in the Guild Wars universe. And demons are servants of Dhuum and Abaddon, so that's a no-go.

Just read this on the Wikia and thought it was funny.

NcSoft Servers Down.Edit
    NcSoft has announced that due to extensive PVP play, their servers were completely destroyed. Because of total server destruction: All guilds were disbanded, account titles removed, and Kamadan was razed to the ground. NcSoft is refusing to reopen the newer servers due to them being cheap, until all accounts mass into one army and conquer the Blizzard servers. When conquered NCSOFT will have a new set of servers for all accounts to use.
    Last edited by Blznsmri; 2011-06-07 at 08:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    No personal story is "personal" which means it's solo content, you can have other people join you but then they'll just be helping you with your story. So basically there isn't much point in not doing it solo.
    I'm pretty sure he was talking about dungeons not personal story.

And with regards to racial differences: remember there is only one faction in GW2. Although given that they have managed to make Charr into good guys (for why this is a big deal go play GW1) so orcs and demons might not be so difficult. But if they want to keep it clearly in the same world as GW1 they can't really introduce whole new races (orcs) or make demons good.

Then stick with wow mate, stop trying to get wow stuff over to GW2, take it as it is, if you dont like it, so be it.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"