It's a whiny rant that is all over the place and 50% anger at playing World of Warcraft. In some weird buyer's remorse psychology endemic to the compulsive genre of MMOs.

Really shameful video by Dontain.

edit: The pandering and bandwagoning on the Wildstar train at the end of the video is delicious, however.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-05-22 at 02:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Is that video worth watching at all? Or is it just a whiny rant?
    Its 90% bullshit not worthy of my precious time, his wow rant blaming the casual nature of the game is just mind numbingly stupid. A terrible video.

Rupert Stonebreaker is born! =D

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Curious if anyone's seen Dontain's video about GW2's gem store? If so, what did you think about it?
    I saw it and it's honestly garbage. He really failed hard with his rant about how NCSoft uses the money, he's so damn clueless on how publishers work especially publishers who actually own said game dev company like it is with NCSoft and Arenanet, and it might be that way between NCSoft and Carbine Studios as well if I'm not mistaken, so I wonder if he will complain about the relationship between Carbine and NCSoft in the future like he did in this video in regards to Arenanet and NCSoft.

The only point he made that I can agree with is that GW2 needs more permanent content. These living story updates should have at least one or more pieces of content that should stay in the game indefinitely in one form or another, such as the weapon facilities dungeon, would of been cool if that was a full on dungeon, especially if it was a dungeon like the others where you could earn tokens to buy a full fused armor set.

Interesting. :P Well, I agreed with some of it, but not all. I share his distaste for RNG boxes, whether they're a fact of life or not. Living Story is subjective, I suppose, but I haven't considered any part of it necessarily "fun" so far and it's definitely not content that keeps me playing or even interests me enough to bother participating in it at all most of the time.

The WoW rant though, yeah. I may be incredibly biased when it comes to this, but Wrath was as good as it got. Cataclysm was just a horrible, horrible expansion that single-handedly quashed any remaining addiction I had and it had absolutely nothing to do with how "casual friendly" the game was. Hell, Wrath was a LOT more enjoyable in that respect. Apparently Blizzard did quite a bit of backpedaling after I quit when the 'return to BC difficulty' didn't exactly work out for them, but that was still only a small part of the problem. That's just my perspective though. I was certainly soured enough though that MoP wasn't particularly appealing (pandas didn't help) despite claims it was going to be more Wrath-esque. Maybe if WoW ever goes f2p I'll return for nostalgia's sake.

Regardless, I always see people defend basically any practice of a game company to earn money because it goes to support the game, but that's seemingly not true all of the time.

The Secret of Southsun has a lot of fun, unique content that concludes with the storyline, but also leaves behind permanent experiences for players as a direct result of the outcome of the storyline for players to enjoy for years to come.

Of course, the playable content is very different as well. Southsun includes content like the Crab Toss mini-game, a new open-world beast that is unleashed for large mega battles on the island between lots of players, and of course, the unforgettable Lord Faren on the beach in his finest beach attire.
    source

hooooooraaaaaaayyyyy!!! a new meta event BOSS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    source

oh that is some good news. Finally a reason to go there more often!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Actually Firefall looks like it will have eSport potential in the future. It's already rather robust w/ many facilitating features out of box.
    i am currently in the beta and that game is still a ways from being ready for anything whether it's just general gameplay or eSport aspiration. but maybe i should have been more specific, there is no conventional MMO and Firefall is not really an MMo in the traditional sense and the type of MMO it is is an FPS which is a gametype with great eSports success ala CS.
    And there is the quasi-MMO Bungie is making called Destiny or whatever. Bungie actually broke esports in the West with Halo. MLG exists in part because of it.
    that really is saying nothing to support your claim that Destiny will have any eSport viability.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    i am currently in the beta and that game is still a ways from being ready for anything whether it's just general gameplay or eSport aspiration. but maybe i should have been more specific, there is no conventional MMO and Firefall is not really an MMo in the traditional sense and the type of MMO it is is an FPS which is a gametype with great eSports success ala CS.
    that really is saying nothing to support your claim that Destiny will have any eSport viability.
    Firefall not being release ready has no effect on the potential for the game to be a viable esport. It has many tools in place already that facilitate an esport environment. I am also in the beta.

Destiny is being developed by the developers which have some of the highest success in esports. Would you not say that a quasi MMO made by the same developer featuring multiplayer has the potential as it's ancestral Halo to facilitate an esport culture? It probably has the most potential of any recent shooter, MMO or otherwise, from pedigree alone. That's important stuff.

Those two games do have potential to be esport titles. Guild Wars 2 is not alone among MMOs in this. Though if we phrase it as, "conventional MMO" then that is a finer statement.

I actually agree with Fencers on Firefall about the esports capability.

Not so sure about Destiny though.

but those are FPS (or TPS, whatever). I don't think they belong in the same category as a fantasy mmorpg. I believe GW2 has the best chance at it for a fantasy title, but I also believe there isn't much of a chance.

GW2 would need massive funding to make it as an esport. Fan run tourneys are okay, but I mean I could create a Super Contra tournament and brand it an esport too.

There has to be actual professional play and organization. And I am not sure there is popular traction for that in the esport scene among the MOBA/FPS/RTS games of the moment.

Who knows though.

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 would need massive funding to make it as an esport. Fan run tourneys are okay, but I mean I could create a Super Contra tournament and brand it an esport too.

There has to be actual professional play and organization. And I am not sure there is popular traction for that in the esport scene among the MOBA/FPS/RTS games of the moment.

Who knows though.
    WTF are you talking about? GW2 is implementing features for it to become an eSport in the future, it is NOT an eSport now and no one is saying it is. CA and SM are still BOTH in beta, but even in a beta state there is excitement for them from "professional players and organizations". and most eSports grew organically from the "fan tourneys" you deem just "okay", like it's something to be embarrassed about. pumping money into eSport aspirations is always an option but GW2 still needs to get some features and balance taken care of before it will make that push and from the way ANet feels word-of-mouth is the best form of advertisement i believe that they will pump in money once the grass-root PvP communities have solidified.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

source

Well, that's one way to make sure people actually visit the place more often. Guess the Karka Queen will become the new loot piñata?

Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    Well, that's one way to make sure people actually visit the place more often. Guess the Karka Queen will become the new loot piñata?
    or they proof that they can design interesting encounters and want to give us hope for future boss changes

WTF are you talking about? GW2 is implementing features for it to become an eSport
    Keyword: Implementing. Which is nice of GW2 as it is of other titles.

However, features alone are not what makes a game an esport. Funding does.

That is wtf I am talking about: money.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-05-24 at 03:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keyword: Implementing. Which is nice of GW2 as it is of other titles.

However, features alone are not what makes a game an esport. Funding does.

That is wtf I am talking about: money.

• League of Legends was released in 2009.
    • It had it's first competitive tournament in 2010 with a $7000 prize.
    • In 2011 it reached a new level participating in the S1 World Championships with a $50,000 prize and 1.6 million viewers over the event peaking at 210,000 viewers.
    • Season 2 in 2012 saw a prize pool of $2 million with a $1 million grand prize, 8.2 million unique viewers with a peak of 1.1 million concurrent viewers.

Don't fret about the money Fencers, ANet can afford to throw a couple millions to kick this off when it's ready.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    • League of Legends was released in 2009.
    • It had it's first competitive tournament in 2010 with a $7000 prize.
    • In 2011 it reached a new level participating in the S1 World Championships with a $50,000 prize and 1.6 million viewers over the event peaking at 210,000 viewers.
    • Season 2 in 2012 saw a prize pool of $2 million with a $1 million grand prize, 8.2 million unique viewers with a peak of 1.1 million concurrent viewers.

Don't fret about the money Fencers, ANet can afford to throw a couple millions to kick this off when it's ready.
    I am aware of that history. I have even posted such on multiple occasions. Most recently: link.

We will have too see how the money rolls in as it is a key factor in esport viability.

Unrelated commentary: I do support GW2 becoming an esport, by the way. Greatly enjoy esports as a concept and wish to see a greater variety of games recognized as esports.

or they proof that they can design interesting encounters and want to give us hope for future boss changes
    I honestly don't believe a meta boss can be interesting because of how many people will be rushing it and the scaling will always not be enough. The other day i did Shatterer with 3 person, which proved almost impossible, then two more came and it became a lot easier and at last we were 10-12 people and it was just faceroll faceroll faceroll. Unless ANet implements a "enrage" timer, event scaling up to 100 people and a fail mechanic to meta bosses, i don't think they'll become something good.

I honestly don't believe a meta boss can be interesting because of how many people will be rushing it and the scaling will always not be enough. The other day i did Shatterer with 3 person, which proved almost impossible, then two more came and it became a lot easier and at last we were 10-12 people and it was just faceroll faceroll faceroll. Unless ANet implements a "enrage" timer, event scaling up to 100 people and a fail mechanic to meta bosses, i don't think they'll become something good.
    with exception of the huge lag and the too long phases the Karka-Queen battle was something I would call awesome.

(1500 posts - yehaa )

Meta bosses already scale up to 100, or are supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.