I'd love if each n every class hade more abilities. I'd love a high skillcap for pvp but Im afraid that 8-10 abilities/class wont make it possible

Quote Originally Posted by ShogunAkke View Post
    I flipped a coin to choose between thief and Ele as my main. Looks like I'm playing Ele, haha.
    Flipping a coin is always the best way. In that moment when the coin is in the air, you begin to wish it would land on heads (or tails), and you have found your answer. The actual outcome of the coin toss isn't that important.

Quote Originally Posted by CakeomgCake View Post
    I'd love if each n every class hade more abilities. I'd love a high skillcap for pvp but Im afraid that 8-10 abilities/class wont make it possible
    Lets look at something basic, like the warrior.

You have your heal, elite, and 3 utility skills. That is 5. You have your 5 weapon skills plus the 'burst' skill which changes function based on amount of adrenaline used. That makes a total of 11 so far. You also have your weapon swap which adds another 5 skills and another burst skill, which brings us to 17 skills.

So 17 skills wouldn't be enough? Don't forget traits add more depth to those skills. There are also underwater weapons as well that add more variety to the skill list.

So there are a lot more than 8-10 skills/class
    Quote Originally Posted by The Decemberists
    Find him, bind him, tie him to a pole! Break his fingers to splinters and drag him to a hole! So he wakes up naked, clawing at the ceiling of his grave!

From the current information we have been given and without any actual PvP footage of the game, it is very safe to say that there will be a high skillcap.
    GW2 adds some mechanics that add to the skillcap, most prominently with dodging and projectile physics, which means ability management will not be the only thing determining player skill.
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/gw2-pvp-systems-information-summary-t19633.html
    ( This link also shows a compiled list of information regarding pvp )

Also, the skillbar is made up of more than 10 abilities. The first 5 abilities are determined by your weapon and other variables based on your profession. Also, they are hot swap-able to a second weapon set to put 10 abilities on the first 5 ( and more in the case of the Elementalist with each Attunement ). On the second half of your skillbar are your utility skills, made up of 1 Healing Skill, 3 Utility skills, and 1 Elite skill. These can all be changed from a list of skills depending on your class.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skill_bar

AlsoAlso, at Gamescom, ArenaNet will be showcasing some 5v5 PvP with a group of players from a gaming guild which will shed a lot of light on PvP in this game.

<3

Gamescom oughta be good. And Sylvari week next week. Good time are coming.

Deleted
    I want Gamescon so badly... but oh well! This week will let me the decide whether I'll be playing an Asura or a Sylvari \o/.

Deleted
    I wish there were racial spells at gamescom ... we will see , hehe.

10+ Year Old Account
    They really have to incorporate the tree/nature aspect alot in the Sylvari for me to not think of them as just another elf'ish race. I really hope they accomplish that.
    So far the Asura and Charr look amazing, if Sylvari design fails (according to my preferences) all my professions will be either tiny or furry

Edit: Anyone remember what that necromancer site was called again?

10+ Year Old Account
    don't worry about that, GW 1 pvp (apart from some gimmick builds like IWAY/B-spike) was very skill-based.
    It's not comparable to wow in any way. Especially GvG relied heavily on tactics, knowing when to split up your team, how to split
    it up. Whereas in wow, people just stand wherever and hit each other.
    IMHO, the 8-skill limit actually made pvp harder
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    yes, thanks!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    don't worry about that, GW 1 pvp (apart from some gimmick builds like IWAY/B-spike) was very skill-based.
    It's not comparable to wow in any way. Especially GvG relied heavily on tactics, knowing when to split up your team, how to split
    it up. Whereas in wow, people just stand wherever and hit each other.
    IMHO, the 8-skill limit actually made pvp harder
    Indeed so, never played better pvp than in GW1, be it HA or GvG.

With GW2, what I'm afraid of is that it will lack so many of the things that made GW1 awesome. One of the biggest mechanics I'll miss is bodyblocking, especially in pvp. Not to even mention secondary professions, but that was just too unique to the old class system.

In the end, I think I'll just have to try and not compare them (too much)...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chroniko View Post
    Indeed so, never played better pvp than in GW1, be it HA or GvG.

With GW2, what I'm afraid of is that it will lack so many of the things that made GW1 awesome. One of the biggest mechanics I'll miss is bodyblocking, especially in pvp. Not to even mention secondary professions, but that was just too unique to the old class system.

In the end, I think I'll just have to try and not compare them (too much)...
    I'll miss the 8v8 gvg the most. I'm worried about 5v5 teams being too small, removing the viability of splitting up like in gvg.
    Removing secondary professions is something i'm happy about. It made pvp very gimmicky at times.

An example is blood spike. For the people who didn't play gw or didn't do pvp often,
    Blood spike is a 8v8 build where you took 7 or 8 necromancers who all took life draining skills.
    They then all used their (usually 2-3) life drain skill at the exact same time on the exact same person.
    Because of the fact that life drain could not be pre-protted (Prot monks in gw were healers that worked proactive, using
    beneficial, damage reducing enchantments on the allies) since life drain is different from damage,
    the healing monk had to have fast reactions and keep his head cool

apart from their spike skills, every necro used his secondary profession (mostly rit and monk) to heal the group.

The build was fairly easy to counter for a group that knew what it was doing, but some b-spike guilds got top 50,
    with a build that is very easy to play.

About bodyblocking, I can see why they removed it, but I used to love it as well
    Bodyblocking the flag runner was an art
    One gvg, in one of the nightfall maps (the one with all the water, think it was Istan-style),
    I bodyblocked the entire enemy team while they tried to reach their guild lord while we were attacking him
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    body blocking ( collision detection the correct term perhaps?) was useful in warhammer RvR, but I think it caused the big lag that game had.

Deleted
    I'll miss the 8v8 gvg the most. I'm worried about 5v5 teams being too small, removing the viability of splitting up like in gvg.
    I thought the same at first, but then someone mentioned to me that since there will be no healers to take into account (and all professions will be more or less "self-sufficinet"), splitting could still be viable - 3/2 or maybe at least 4/1... now if it ends up being useful at all is another matter.

Bodyblocking the flag runner was an art
    Oh yes, blocking flag/relic runners was much fun, unless you had lag issues, in which case it was hell. ^^
    Am hoping that the "control" role (they mentioned knockdowns/knockbacks and such, iirc) will be a good replacement for it in such cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    The should implement body blocking in 2, but let Asura run through peoples legs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chroniko View Post
    I thought the same at first, but then someone mentioned to me that since there will be no healers to take into account (and all professions will be more or less "self-sufficinet"), splitting could still be viable - 3/2 or maybe at least 4/1... now if it ends up being useful at all is another matter.
    Oh ye, hadn't really thought of that, I hope the maps will be more complex than wow's arenas, as in, more than just a 20m by 20m box
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

A really interesting idea for GW2 arena's, could be random walls of fire/poision/whatever that appear, that you could combo attacks with like you do with other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    A really interesting idea for GW2 arena's, could be random walls of fire/poision/whatever that appear, that you could combo attacks with like you do with other players.
    No. Period.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefuu View Post
    No. Period.
    if well-executed, it could work, GW1 had stuff like that, fire in burning isles, coral in jade isle, etc
    Monk, I need a monk!!!