The asura in that video looks oddly like the one I keep seeing in the "Bookah please" pic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrowmore View Post
    The asura in that video looks oddly like the one I keep seeing in the "Bookah please" pic
    That's Vekk, he's the first Asura you encounter in GW1 and the one you get to have in your party.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    People at GW2 Demos, Y U NO PLAY THEIF???

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Except for the fact that GW2 is being made to run well on low end computers...
    doesn't change the fact that there are 100 people in the same place and no game can handle that

you doing your event with 4 other people on your dual core with 8600gt is one thing, the other is going to a massive fight where everyone in the server join, and don't expect high end computers handle it smoothly either

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    heres good example of lag from lots of people http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhodYaM3oXo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonne View Post
    doesn't change the fact that there are 100 people in the same place and no game can handle that
    I've actually seen several games that can handle that. It's mostly about clever optimization and scaling down on tessellation when the amount of characters increases. Just think back to e.g. Serious Sam: there were several fights where the game could easily throw 100+ enemies at you at once, and it still ran playably on Pentium II - machines. There's also e.g. a multiplayer game for PS3 that can push 64 simultaneous players in the area, and PS3 is seriously underpowered by today's standards. To a computer a model controlled by a player or AI does not make a difference to how fast it renders, so the only limiting factor could be network lag and how good the developers are at optimizing their stuff.

---------- Post added 2011-09-12 at 12:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    heres good example of lag from lots of people http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhodYaM3oXo
    WoW is a somewhat poor example in that it has ALWAYS been poorly optimized and its graphics engine was outdated already back when WoW first came out. Ask anyone working in the field and they'll agree.

Ok, we assume having 100-200 players in an event won't make it laggy, fine (I actually believe it's possible, even if I have concerns, cause WoW's engine is highly unoptimized, as GayGirlie mentioned above).

BUT

The reason I believe most people (including me) are concerned about these "random" big boss events is called "retardness". I join a guild to meet likeminded people. And I'm just disgusted by the amount of bad players there are in the game. What does an instanced scheduled organized raid give me? Going there with the guild I've chosen, reducing the amount of clueless idiots as much as I can. What does a random dynamic event give me? 99 more people, that I don't know, and that can pretty much be a complete failure. You say - there's no holy trinity so it's every man for himself. That's fine, but the boss' scaled dmg and abilities don't care if person X is the most badass engineer in the GW2 universe, or the worst retard. He scales. So you could realistically be fighting a 100-man tuned encounter with a 30-man cored. In WoW, for a proper HC mode content, if out of 25 people 2-3 suck, you're dead. Multiply by 4, and we either get a limit of 10 fail guys per 100-man event, or we die. Or, we get an event that's horribly undertuned. And we all know from our previous experiences that carrying and boosting baddies is beyond annoying, especially when repeated lots and lots of times :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ruak View Post
    What does an instanced scheduled organized raid give me? Going there with the guild I've chosen, reducing the amount of clueless idiots as much as I can. What does a random dynamic event give me? 99 more people, that I don't know, and that can pretty much be a complete failure. You say - there's no holy trinity so it's every man for himself. That's fine, but the boss' scaled dmg and abilities don't care if person X is the most badass engineer in the GW2 universe, or the worst retard. He scales. So you could realistically be fighting a 100-man tuned encounter with a 30-man cored.
    Just because someone's there, doesn't mean they will be factored into the scaling. They have to be actively participating in the fight. We don't know much about the conditions required for someone to be "participating", other than it taking more than just hitting something once in a while and then backing off. Anet has promised to include things like throwing buffs on your allies in that definition as well, but we know even less about that.
    Last edited by Barrowmore; 2011-09-11 at 11:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To add to what barrowmore said if there are indeed bad players in the area and they die don't revive them,leave them as is and the boss will scale back down,problem solved.Though i personally wouldn't encourage it just a suggestion.

Deleted
    The reason I believe most people (including me) are concerned about these "random" big boss events is called "retardness". I join a guild to meet likeminded people. And I'm just disgusted by the amount of bad players there are in the game. What does an instanced scheduled organized raid give me? Going there with the guild I've chosen, reducing the amount of clueless idiots as much as I can. What does a random dynamic event give me? 99 more people, that I don't know, and that can pretty much be a complete failure. You say - there's no holy trinity so it's every man for himself. That's fine, but the boss' scaled dmg and abilities don't care if person X is the most badass engineer in the GW2 universe, or the worst retard. He scales. So you could realistically be fighting a 100-man tuned encounter with a 30-man cored. In WoW, for a proper HC mode content, if out of 25 people 2-3 suck, you're dead. Multiply by 4, and we either get a limit of 10 fail guys per 100-man event, or we die. Or, we get an event that's horribly undertuned. And we all know from our previous experiences that carrying and boosting baddies is beyond annoying, especially when repeated lots and lots of times :P
    That 100-man tuned boss doesn't hit much (if any?) harder than 10-man tuned as there is no dedicated healers. It will gain more HP to prevent it being zerg down fast and might gain new abilities, so killing it might take little longer if there is lot of players who keep failing, but thats just extra challenge then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrabblet View Post
    People at GW2 Demos, Y U NO PLAY THEIF???
    There was a good thf video posted twice in this thread already. The maker was ImperfectBlock. It was added to youtube Monday-ish. I've seen a few others on youtube, but this one is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    That 100-man tuned boss doesn't hit much (if any?) harder than 10-man tuned as there is no dedicated healers. It will gain more HP to prevent it being zerg down fast and might gain new abilities, so killing it might take little longer if there is lot of players who keep failing, but thats just extra challenge then.
    Im pretty sure that if there are 100 people the boss will hit like a 18 wheeler on riods. No dedicated healers won't mean shit sense each class can self heal and your survival is based on knowing when to heal yourself and dodging.
    Last edited by morlem; 2011-09-12 at 12:35 AM.

Deleted
    The reason I believe most people (including me) are concerned about these "random" big boss events is called "retardness". I join a guild to meet likeminded people. And I'm just disgusted by the amount of bad players there are in the game. What does an instanced scheduled organized raid give me? Going there with the guild I've chosen, reducing the amount of clueless idiots as much as I can. What does a random dynamic event give me? 99 more people, that I don't know, and that can pretty much be a complete failure. You say - there's no holy trinity so it's every man for himself. That's fine, but the boss' scaled dmg and abilities don't care if person X is the most badass engineer in the GW2 universe, or the worst retard.
    I would just like to say that this line of thought, is what kills a community. Words like "retard", "badies", "clueless idiots", etc, bring nothing but negativity to the community. There are two other solutions to the problem you mentioned: a) you can leave and go do some other event and b) you can help the people that are failing to understand the fight, by guiding them (again, without being a jerk about it. Being nice to others can take you a long way).

I think one of the biggest things that ANet could do to improve frame rates on big fights is reduce the number of information that is shared between players, via combat log. I don't know if there will even be a combat log, but if it does exist and is kept to a minimum of "what is happening to me", it will reduce the lag.

I too am concerned about frame rates in big fights, but there is only one thing to do here: wait for the game and test it ourselves
    Last edited by mmoc3c164f0e8f; 2011-09-12 at 12:46 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    but there is only one thing to do here: wait for the game and test it ourselves
    Very true, we're a couple months away...patience is a virtue!

Quote Originally Posted by Malbabo View Post
    You probably heard of phased areas? They are using this concept like never before. The herb that you are collecting, on your way to a quest? Phased! The quest mob that everyone needs and is unique? Phased. So why wouldn't they phased the area, just for the people that have fought in that event? And they have said that some events will be triggered by players, so why not these big ones? I don't know and neither do you.
    Phasing isn't really the correct term to use here. Phasing, as it's used in WoW, separates players into different environments using the same area of the map. This is counter to ArenaNet's design philosophy because they want to remove boundaries that keep people from playing together, while phasing is a boundary. Gatherable nodes are not 'phased', just everyone has their own copy of nodes that exists only for them. I don't believe they have shown any phasing on mobs, and the hypothetical "unique quest mob" is not a problem in GW2 because mob tagging doesn't exist. Multiple non-partied players can engage a mob and all receive their own loot and credit.

As someone who intensely dislikes WoW's implementation of "phasing technology" I felt this needed to be addressed.

Deleted
    What is the correct term?

Deleted
    A huge and wonderful difference in GW2 is that IF you participate in content, EVERYONE will be rewarded. No more grinding 1 dungeon for that specific piece of gear, or grinding the same dungeons over and over for points to buy gear....there will be gear, but the grind? No.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaMu View Post
    A huge and wonderful difference in GW2 is that IF you participate in content, EVERYONE will be rewarded. No more grinding 1 dungeon for that specific piece of gear, or grinding the same dungeons over and over for points to buy gear....there will be gear, but the grind? No.
    This is slightly incorrect as players can do specific dungeon content for unique gear skins in GW2, just not for significant stat changes at max level, and there's no grinding necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrowmore View Post
    This is slightly incorrect as players can do specific dungeon content for unique gear skins in GW2, just not for significant stat changes at max level, and there's no grinding necessary.
    At least you won't have to farm it for months only to have a Guardian take that Pistol

Deleted
    In before "Every weapon is a hunter, err, ranger weapon!"