The new achievements stuff sounds good. But reading the combat section kinda got me spooked a bit :s

Deleted
    I like to say that GW2 controls like an MMO and has abilities like a MOBA (tools that you can use in diverse ways to adapt to changing situations), but its physical interactions are like an FPS (dodging projectiles, attacking from out of range, etc.). We are really happy with the way we were able to blend these three styles of play—and hopefully you will be too.
    We knew this already, but for some reason it is great to see it on paper (or in this case pc screen). It made me extremely happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the daily, monthly and repeatable achievements just sound like quests to me. I really hope I am wrong though.

Deleted
    The achievement system is Anet's grind system. The reward, titles, give no advantages ingame and are therefore not mandatory. It's just another incentive for players to continue playing the game after completing all the dungeons and elite DEs. It is similar to GW1's title system, only in this case they don't buff your PvE skills but give gold and exp instead.

I'm sure there will be a new GWAMM and an insane grind required to achieve it.
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2011-12-21 at 01:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The new achievements stuff sounds good. But reading the combat section kinda got me spooked a bit :s
    Really? There was nothing there we didn't already know already other than slight changes in how the animations 'look' and 'feel' and the thief's steal changes. Could you explain why it 'spooked' you?
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Really? There was nothing there we didn't already know already other than slight changes in how the animations 'look' and 'feel' and the thief's steal changes. Could you explain why it 'spooked' you?
    The way it was worded kinda made me scared with "skill queue" and animation timings. Do not enjoy waiting on animations over rapid skill use. I hope it is as fluid as they claim.

The way it was worded kinda made me scared with "skill queue" and animation timings. Do not enjoy waiting on animations over rapid skill use. I hope it is as fluid as they claim.
    I think you misunderstood, the entire point to the post was because they got rid of the time you need to wait for the animation to finish, you can chain skills without any delay as long as the skill can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    I think you misunderstood, the entire point to the post was because they got rid of the time you need to wait for the animation to finish, you can chain skills without any delay as long as the skill can be used.
    No, I got it. But thanks though. I am saying hope the combat is as fluid as Anet claim it to be. Having no hands-on with the game myself, I can only make this face IRL :s

No, I got it. But thanks though. I am saying hope the combat is as fluid as Anet claim it to be. Having no hands-on with the game myself, I can only make this face IRL :s
    Ah okay gotcha. It sure as hell looks fluid and that's more than I can say watching any other MMO in the past X amount of years.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get you, 'skill queue' probably wasn't the most comforting term to describe their combat system, but in all honesty I kind of glazed over that term since all MMOs have skill queues because of latency and the fact that player input is managed through their servers. It's usually not even noticeable because of GCDs and CDs in general unless your internet connection sucks.

It won't be like Lotro's skill queue system if you're familiar with that, thats a good example of skill queues poorly handled.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

I am familiar with LoTRO. What really sent shivers down my spine was thinking of the older animation system and chain skills where the first thing that popped in mind was... Aion.

I love 99.9% of Aion. Except fighting anything in the game is the worst!

I am familiar with LoTRO. What really sent shivers down my spine was thinking of the older animation system and chain skills where the first thing that popped in mind was... Aion.

I love 99.9% of Aion. Except fighting anything in the game is the worst!
    I thought I could enjoy aion.

Got a trial and fought one mob

/un-install
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

/un-install
    maybe that depends per class ?
    i really enjoy'd tanking on my templar
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

10+ Year Old Account
    I had no problems with the aion combat either. In fact, if it wasn't for the endless grinding I would have played the game a lot. Can't wait till it goes f2p
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    I think I'll pass. :P
    *sadface* I really only want to get that White Raven, but I can't be assed to finish up. More importantly not sure how to grind for money and stuff in Guild Wars. :\

/un-install
    Yea. For me, personally, it was pretty much the worst combat I ever played in an MMO. So sluggish, so unresponsive... argh.

What a shame because everything else in the game was rather good. Esp. when they added tons of quests and stuff so you didn't have to mob grind to cap. Aion has changed a lot since launch but that combat...

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea. For me, personally, it was pretty much the worst combat I ever played in an MMO. So sluggish, so unresponsive... argh.

What a shame because everything else in the game was rather good. Esp. when they added tons of quests and stuff so you didn't have to mob grind to cap. Aion has changed a lot since launch but that combat...
    I didn't play Aion, but I don't have any fears about Guild Wars 2 being like that. If they have 'improved' the combat since the gamescom and Gstar (Where people playing demos complimented on the game's tight controls and responsive combat) I see no need to be worried over the use of the term 'skill queue'. I have much more faith in ArenaNet than I do in NCsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I didn't play Aion, but I don't have any fears about Guild Wars 2 being like that. If they have 'improved' the combat since the gamescom and Gstar (Where people playing demos complimented on the game's tight controls and responsive combat) I see no need to be worried over the use of the term 'skill queue'. I have much more faith in ArenaNet than I do in NCsoft.
    What happened with aion is that everything was automatic. No positioning requirement no nothing. If you hit an attack command it would auto run you to the target (behind infront whatever) and then attack. However this was extremely un-responsive. Instant casts take about 2 seconds to go off, it is awful.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    What happened with aion is that everything was automatic. No positioning requirement no nothing. If you hit an attack command it would auto run you to the target (behind infront whatever) and then attack. However this was extremely un-responsive. Instant casts take about 2 seconds to go off, it is awful.
    Sounds just like LotRO to me.

Yea, but LotRO had that internal queue thing that you couldn't really turn off. So skills fired in the order you mash the keys. I prefer Rift's combat where you are only bound by your GCD and half the attacks are not on the GCD. The thing was in Aion you were locked into the animation sequence of that skill- casting a fireball meant you had to literally cycle that motion.

I dunno. Hard to judge on GW2. They say they took care of the problem of animation queues but till I can play it myself- I am just a little nervous.