Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Ok you got me on the numbers, my point still stands - just because there aren't hexes in GW2 doesn't mean a class that relied on hexes can't be in GW2.
    It would be a totally different class though. You can call a class a Paladin, but if they launch fireballs out of their ass and summon undead minion armies.. then they aren't really Paladin's then are they? They can be called that, but if they are doing the fore mentioned things then clearly they aren't a Paladin as people ever knew them.

To put a Mesmer in GW2 and give them no hexes, when hexes were the basis for the class and what people knew and loved them for (as well as interrupts and e-denial) ...how can they possibly be Mesmers if they have none of these things? Mesmers didn't have much in the way of direct damage skills that you could give them without them being hexes, so what can they do with them that would allow them to still be a Mesmer when they've removed all the foundations of what they did and how they did it?

The only thing I can think of, for them to do with Mesmers, if they put them in GW2, would be for them to go the rout of the Mentalist in DCUO. Give them little pinkish-purple energy blasts, let them stun opponents, make duplicate phantom versions of themselves to draw attacks, cause an enemy to appear to be human so that his own kind turn and attack him. That could be kinda mesmerizing I suppose, if they take from those ideas, but it still not going to be a Mesmer as a Mesmer was in GW1. It would be like comparing a Monk from GW1 to a Monk from AD&D. Same name, but not the same class.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Skills videos if anyone missed them:

Glue Shot
    Grenade Satchel
    Rifle Turret
    Skill Absorb
    Jump Shot

Honestly I am surprised they are only able to use guns as weapons. ArenaNet said before in an interview they didn't want to limit the number of weapons a profession could have, but thats what they did here. Maybe they are still deciding on a couple melee weapons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokstrin View Post
    It would be a totally different class though. You can call a class a Paladin, but if they launch fireballs out of their ass and summon undead minion armies.. then they aren't really Paladin's then are they? They can be called that, but if they are doing the fore mentioned things then clearly they aren't a Paladin as people ever knew them.

To put a Mesmer in GW2 and give them no hexes, when hexes were the basis for the class and what people knew and loved them for (as well as interrupts and e-denial) ...how can they possibly be Mesmers if they have none of these things? Mesmers didn't have much in the way of direct damage skills that you could give them without them being hexes, so what can they do with them that would allow them to still be a Mesmer when they've removed all the foundations of what they did and how they did it?

The only thing I can think of, for them to do with Mesmers, if they put them in GW2, would be for them to go the rout of the Mentalist in DCUO. Give them little pinkish-purple energy blasts, let them stun opponents, make duplicate phantom versions of themselves to draw attacks, cause an enemy to appear to be human so that his own kind turn and attack him. That could be kinda mesmerizing I suppose, if they take from those ideas, but it still not going to be a Mesmer as a Mesmer was in GW1. It would be like comparing a Monk from GW1 to a Monk from AD&D. Same name, but not the same class.
    It's not really about whether or not they have hexes, it's the effects those hexes did,

they could easily make a lot of hexes ground targetted, arcane conundrum for example (the one slowed the opponent's cast time) and stuff like that. They decide the mechanics.

The thing is, the next profession is confirmed to be one from gw1, so that doesn't leave a lot of options for a scholar

---------- Post added 2011-05-19 at 07:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ampd413 View Post
    Skills videos if anyone missed them:

Glue Shot
    Grenade Satchel
    Rifle Turret
    Skill Absorb
    Jump Shot

Honestly I am surprised they are only able to use guns as weapons. ArenaNet said before in an interview they didn't want to limit the number of weapons a profession could have, but thats what they did here. Maybe they are still deciding on a couple melee weapons.
    don't forget they have a lot of skills that replace the weapon skill slots

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    It's not really about whether or not they have hexes, it's the effects those heces did,

they could easily make a lot of hexes ground targetted, arcane conundrum for example (the one slowed the opponent's cast time) and stuff like that. They decide the mechanics.

The thing is, the next profession is confirmed to be one from gw1, so that doesn't leave a lot of options for a scholar
    The only problem I see at the minute with the 8 professions in GW2, is what is really left to add into the game for new professions, if they decided to later on?

Ritualist was mergeed into Necro kind of. Dervish and Paragon, could agure into warrior, etc. Theres no much leen way for adding anything new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ampd, anyway you'd be willing to put a list at the top of the page with recent additions? It's hard to scroll through all the pages looking for new things. I'd like to just see on the front page what was added so I know what to look at.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Thiefs are the better gunnerclass imho! =<
    Engineers need a faster Gatling Turret as Elite Skill! The icon of the Rifle Turret is much cooler than the skill itself.
    Last edited by Mistral; 2011-05-19 at 05:22 PM.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    The only problem I see at the minute with the 8 professions in GW2, is what is really left to add into the game for new professions, if they decided to later on?

Ritualist was mergeed into Necro kind of. Dervish and Paragon, could agure into warrior, etc. Theres no much leen way for adding anything new.
    well they could go with chronomancer or commando

Rit is basically replaced by the engineer

Arrow

I'm sorry to say it but that's an utterly retarded analogy.

As for the rest of your post I don't get why it's hard for you to imagine, hexes have effects most of those can exist without being declared hexes.

Hexes are just a game-mechanic, the way you go about it doesn't matter.

Like in GW2 as far as I know there won't be enchantments but there will be "boons"
    That one might be a little far fetched, but the one I closed with, that you ignored, was much more fitting. If a class does not function in any way the same as it does in another instance/game/edition then how is it the same thing in anything other than name?

So basically you're saying that Mesmers can still be Mesmers in GW2 if they don't include Hexes but instead implement Vexes for them to use instead. I guess I can agree with that. If they are simply renaming things like Enchantments to Boons, then why not Hexes to Vexes?

However, if they add in Mesmers to GW2 and don't implement a renamed version of Hexes to the game... they I still don't see how they could be Mesmes. Mesmers interrupt, yet they can't do that in GW2. Mesmers energy denial, yet they can't do that in GW2. Mesmers punish you for using or not using skills, but they can't do that in GW2. Mesmers hex the crap out of targets, but if there are no Hexes (or something the same by a different name) they they can't do that in GW2.
    How then, can a Mesmer do anything we know and love Mesmers for doing, in GW2? How can a Mesmer be a Mesmer if they don't have any of the functions that are associated with Mesmers?
    Last edited by Rokstrin; 2011-05-19 at 05:19 PM.

I'm not gonna bother with all your "but they can't do that" when in fact they can.

(and the once you closed with I added and it was just a far fetched)
    Wait, they can do that stuff in GW2? Cool, would you mind sharing the source for that information then? As thus far I've yet to see anything that supports any class being able to do Interrupts (no Distracting Blow, no Disrupting Chop, no Distracting Strike, no Shivers of Dread, and even the Rangers don't have any Interrupts in GW2), Energy Denial (no "Fear Me", no Equinox, no Debilitating Shot, no Quicksand, no Depravity, no Malaise, no Wither) or skills that punish you for actions (no Spiteful Spirits, no Soul Leech, no Insidious Parasite, no Spoil Victor, no no Mark of Subversion) The closest thing so far to a Mesmer skill in GW2 is Daze which is kinda like BlackOut I guess ...so you're not only assuming that these mechanics are in GW2 (despite being left out of the skills of all the other classes) but that the Mesmer will not only have access to these game altering mechanics, but also be the Only Class to have them? Seems far fetched to me and they've said nothing to support that they'd do any such thing in GW2.

So, since the above information pretty much sums up the Why they can't do any of the things they did before, that comes back to me asking you the same question again. How can a Mesmer be a Mesmer in GW2 when they won't have any of the same functionality? It's a Perfect analogy then to compare them to a Monk in GW1 and a Monk in AD&D. Two different things by the same name does not mean they are the same. Football in the USA and Football in other parts of the world are two completely different games (Soccer).
    Last edited by Rokstrin; 2011-05-19 at 06:14 PM.

salad engineer for life.

Deleted
    Looks pretty interesting so far. Finally I will be able to jump! Will probably play Charr Ranger and Norn Thief

10+ Year Old Account
    Char engi. YES!!!!! so excited for this game

Oh man, dem salad turrets

I don't think I will play an engineer unless I run out of other things, but gotta love the fact it's a completely new class and something different. Definitely gonna add some new things into combat.

Engineer sounds pretty awesome. Not to mention (OH MY GOD) a ranged non caster class without a pet, so double thumbs up.

Wow, so engineer was true! O_o Want, want, want!

Who else is excited to see dem sexy engineer armor sets?
    Last edited by Digglett; 2011-05-19 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokstrin View Post
    Wait, they can do that stuff in GW2? Cool, would you mind sharing the source for that information then? As thus far I've yet to see anything that supports any class being able to do Interrupts (no Distracting Blow, no Disrupting Chop, no Distracting Strike, no Shivers of Dread, and even the Rangers don't have any Interrupts in GW2), Energy Denial (no "Fear Me", no Equinox, no Debilitating Shot, no Quicksand, no Depravity, no Malaise, no Wither) or skills that punish you for actions (no Spiteful Spirits, no Soul Leech, no Insidious Parasite, no Spoil Victor, no no Mark of Subversion) The closest thing so far to a Mesmer skill in GW2 is Daze which is kinda like BlackOut I guess ...so you're not only assuming that these mechanics are in GW2 (despite being left out of the skills of all the other classes) but that the Mesmer will not only have access to these game altering mechanics, but also be the Only Class to have them? Seems far fetched to me and they've said nothing to support that they'd do any such thing in GW2.
    The absence of given mechanics in existing classes does not imply that such mechanics are unavailable or unable to be implemented. More than one poster showed ways to approach the situation. The assumptions are yours.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Oh man, dem salad turrets
    You realise every race will have the same style of turrets right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    You realise every race will have the same style of turrets right?
    No one besides ANet knows if that's true.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyo View Post
    No one besides ANet knows if that's true.
    It's kind of logical, they aren't going to want PvP players to have to memorize 25 different styles of turrets. Do you want to?

All warriors have the same banners, etc. Why would Engineers be special?