Yeah I don't think taking one example of a dungeon run is indicative of how everything is.

What I do think we can take away from it is that you can't really have a weak link in your group in order to efficiently run the explore mode dungeons.

I agree about the time it will take to complete a dungeon, I was just using it as an example.
    I do not think every run will take the same amount of time to complete. Of course the first runs to a dungeon will be a nightmare hehe so probably those will need a lot of time, that if you actually manage to complete them.

I guess in GW1 if you left the dungeon it counted as reseting it? Could a single member of the group leave the instance and come back?
    If they do not allow to leave instances on GW2 and do not add a repair NPC inside the dungeon, it would mean that wiping a lot would break your armor and you would need to lose your progress in order to repair. Anyways, we will see how it works later on, maybe on next betas or when it is released.

Thanks for all the answers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    What I do think we can take away from it is that you can't really have a weak link in your group in order to efficiently run the explore mode dungeons.
    I feel it's worth noting: same is true of HM raiding in WoW, until the content gets nerfed.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I feel it's worth noting: same is true of HM raiding in WoW, until the content gets nerfed.
    Sure. I'm just saying that you can't say all dungeons will take 4 hours to run. If you have competent players then the run will be fine. The same thing applies to any challenging content of any game.

People need to stop thinking dungeons are the same as Warcraft dungeons.

I understand this is a primarily Warcraft related website and forum. For goodness sake though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    People need to stop thinking dungeons are the same as Warcraft dungeons.

I understand this is a primarily Warcraft related website and forum. For goodness sake though.
    If you think that's bad, people are QQ'ing on Reddit that combat is boring because they don't have enough buttons to spam.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    If you think that's bad, people are QQ'ing on Reddit that combat is boring because they don't have enough buttons to spam.
    I love how they can't comprehend that when you're not playing whack-a-mole with your abilities, you're supposed to be dodging and getting the fuck outa the way, or gaining a positional, strategic advantage!
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Really?

Is this from actual testers or just people looking at the game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man, that's hilarious...
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    The general consensus seems to be that the 1 spam quickly gets tedious and that most of the time you are just using 2-5 on cooldown (since those cooldowns are usually substantial). I'm hearing good things about dodging -- nobody is contesting that -- but the act of actually killing the mob is kind of disappointing. A lot of people are comparing it to WoW combat, except worse because the secondary spells in WoW (2-5 in GW2) usually have short cooldowns so that you don't feel as though you are mashing 1 all the time
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...ut_the_combat/

/facepalm

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    That's..........infuriating .

Some days I just wanna bury myself under comforters and sleep for years. Really bringing me down, internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Some days I just wanna bury myself under comforters and sleep for years. Really bringing me down, internet.
    This is how the internet makes me feel

Edit: More seriously, however, many of the people responding to him are disagreeing.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-03-24 at 07:37 PM.

All the beta complaints on Reddit should say "this game is not like World of Warcraft" because that's pretty much why those guys are complaining.

---------- Post added 2012-03-24 at 03:52 PM ----------

I really hope ANet doesn't "fix" this for those idiots.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be correct to say that skills in GW2 work more like MOBAs (LoL, HoN). Keeping them off cooldown all the time isn't always the best option, and when they are applied is what matters. It's the reason utility skills and some other weapon skills have long cooldowns; they're meant to be applied with thought, not spammed.

The OP quotes the opinion of "Min/Max MMO pros", which I find amusing because GW2 is very different from other mainstream MMOs. It's especially funny because I bet you those "MMO pros" haven't played the game.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

That's not even the worst post...There's one right now that I can't believe has that many upvotes when it's just the guy complaining the entire time and talking down on the game. To me it seems like he's probably spent his entire time playing just killing basic mobs that aren't challenging and then went to reddit right away to complain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I think it would be correct to say that skills in GW2 work more like MOBAs (LoL, HoN).
    Somebody with a reddit account should totally go post this "revolutionary" idea onto that reddit post.

I refuse to subject myself to that community.

This was an interesting comment I felt:

As said by another poster, you don't spam 1 unless you're attacking a world destructible object, you just set it and forget it.

Without going into too much detail (because I want to make a really long post on the beta feedback boards about it) the game has a ridiculous amount of control problems that you probably wouldn't notice as a "casual" MMO player and you won't see in videos.

To hit a few problems with combat:

Some skills are generally worthless. This could be a "it's a beta" numbers issue (which I suspect) or could be a result of PvP balance (which I also suspect.) Almost all skills with blind, daze, or some other effect attached to them do basically zero damage, which is a terrible design since some kits will have 2-3 of them, meaning they do almost no damage, yet all CC effects suffer from DR so it's not like you're gaining survivability from using them.

Movement is really floaty. You can jump forward and change directions in the air. There is a weird acceleration when you stop/start moving. You get hung up on the littlest bits of terrain. The experience is just overall unenjoyable.

Dodge is worthless. People keep complaining "look at these noobs, they never dodge!" but the reality is dodge is the same speed as just strafing (maybe 10% faster, dodging does not make you run faster OOC like it does in Ocarina of Time) and the only thing you gain from it is ranged evasion. The main use of it is to dodge backwards to drop threat when group fighting, and to move at full speed when you are slowed to escape AOEs.

Keybinds in GW2 suck ass. You cannot use modifier keys, and some classes (like Elementalists and Mesmers) have at least 15 hotkeys. I can reach maybe 10 comfortably without using shift/alt/ctrl.

Weapon Swapping is way, way over-rated for some classes. I was playing a Thief the majority of the day and every weapon set had the same theme of: auto-attack, 1 nuke, 1 gap closer, 2 utility. The weapon sets I ended up using were Short Bow anytime I attacked more than 1 NPC, and I flipped between all the X + Dagger combos, which had the best nukes for single target (except pistol, which was worthless and probably broken.) If Short Bow didn't have Trick Shot (auto-attack bounces up to 3 times) I would have been using Dagger+Dagger for everything because it has the second best AOE.

NPC scaling is fucking awful. We had a pile of maybe 25 people and the gold boss at the end of the quest chain was just 1-shotting people with auto attacks, as players did virtually no damage to him because of health scaling. There were also a bunch of mobs with really shitty nearly unavoidable attacks (burrow worms especially.)

Other stuff I don't want to talk about, but are problems:

Skills with multiple uses
    Skills that can be modified after using them
    Pet AI and general gameplay problems
    Destructible objects being immune to vuln and DOT debuffs; not being auto-attackable sometimes

This got a lot longer than I thought it would... Anyway, combat is a lot less fun than I thought it would be. Cross-class skill combinations seemed worthless and damage scaling seemed way off, but those are just adjustable numbers. Team fighting in general was terrible because of needless effect spam (which a lot of press people have already commented on.)

I'm pretty burnt out on it after only playing for 1 day, but it is a beta and not a demo, and I expect at least a few of the problems I listed above to be fixed well before launch.

Feel free to ask any questions if I missed something. Yes, the combat is better than TORs.
    I have not played the game so there is way I personally contest the validity of this stuff. However, I do think these would be important issues to iron out if they are at least partly true.

10+ Year Old Account
    The word's of people who aren't used to guild wars 2 style of combat means nothing to me, while technical issues are a legitimate concern only thing I can gather from all that is they're a bunch of bads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now you see why I do not expect the game to launch in the summer. ^_^