10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Weren't ALL of the servers stationed in Dallas?
    I think they were, but I was hoping on the population causing my latency when I changed servers from one marked "full" to one marked "medium". Wasn't the case apparently.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I think they were, but I was hoping on the population causing my latency when I changed servers from one marked "full" to one marked "medium". Wasn't the case apparently.
    Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. Your latency wouldn't have changed if they're all in dallas and beta servers are always wonky as shit. The amount of wonkiness varies from different player and it's not always their internets fault.

Does anyone else think that once you completely uncover a zone, or maybe when you complete it by 100%, that you should be able to see all of the events going on in that zone? Once you finish it you aren't really there for adventuring, but you probably still want to do some of the events. I thought it was kind of a pain to run around and just hope you'd get close enough to a DE for it to be on your map.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Does anyone else think that once you completely uncover a zone, or maybe when you complete it by 100%, that you should be able to see all of the events going on in that zone? Once you finish it you aren't really there for adventuring, but you probably still want to do some of the events. I thought it was kind of a pain to run around and just hope you'd get close enough to a DE for it to be on your map.
    I wouldn't like much that would take away the "alive" feeling of DEs tbh. Conceptually it feels like it would take something away from the natural and random sense of them.
    I may feel differently once I've actually played though lol

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    I wouldn't like much that would take away the "alive" feeling of DEs tbh. Conceptually it feels like it would take something away from the natural and random sense of them.
    I may feel differently once I've actually played though lol
    You probably do 80-90% of the DEs in the zone just by leveling through it with hearts, but once you out level the zone I feel like there's a pretty good chance that you'll never see the ones you missed.

It might be different in the later zones once the power plateau happens, but as a level 25 in the lvl 1-15 zones there wasn't as much of a challenge. However, the shaman in the charr zone still 1 hit me, and I was still afraid to get in melee range with it lol
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-05-01 at 03:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jon Peters on the melee vs range controversy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Peters
    Hey all. I wanted to talk about this a bit since it is a hot topic here and also on the internets. The intention is that both styles are viable. Certainly right now Melee is more difficult than ranged. There are some things we will try to do to address this, but I think the more you play you would find they are closer than you think.

First what’s already there:
    1) Melee does more damage. Melee damage is simply higher than ranged damage across the board.
    2) Melee has more control. With a few intentional exception Melee has a lot more control than ranged.

What Melee needs:
    1) defensive tools on more weapons, particularly on lower armor professions.
    2) ai needs to favor Melee a bit less than it currently does.

What else:
    Finally because of the more action based nature of combat Melee needs to be taught better. Effective Melee requires skills that translate over from FPS games which are notoriously harder on casual players. You have to wasd to move, constantly aim with your mouse camera, and hit skills on 1-5.

Some tips:
    If you have learned any good Melee tips that you think we should pass on to newer players feel free to post them here. I’ll start with a few tips of my own.

- If you don’t have mouse look on when using a skill you will turn to face. I sometimes let go of mouse look as I activate to help me aim through the chaos and then click it back down in between attacks.

- Melee has a lot of hard hitting skills and good setup. Utility skills Can really help set up big Melee attacks. Bulls charge on warrior, scorpion wire on thief, judges intervention on guardian.

- know when to run. No matter what you are not a tank. You have to move in and out avoiding damage. If you have to soak damage try and bring boons like Protection and Regeneration or conditions like Blindness and the very undervalued Weakness.

Thanks for reading this all. Rest assured we will keep working on this and just keep in mind the subtle differences in GW2 combat that take a while to sink in.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    You probably do 80-90% of the DEs in the zone just by leveling through it with hearts, but once you out level the zone I feel like there's a pretty good chance that you'll never see the ones you missed.

It might be different in the later zones once the power plateau happens, but as a level 25 in the lvl 1-15 zones there wasn't as much of a challenge. However, the shaman in the charr zone still 1 hit me, and I was still afraid to get in melee range with it lol
    Huuummmm...I thought there'd be more that you would never see, guess it was exaggerated. I imagined something like max 50% of DEs per zone per char before you move on level wise.
    I hope they didn't have all DEs implemented in the beta then.
    I'd just rather have the surprise of new DEs on an alt that run through and try to complete everything on a character. But it does seem from the livestreams I saw that you tend to see a whole chain and u just get pulled along with them until completion; so yh, maybe u do just see almost everything. Somewhat disappointing.

Huuummmm...I thought there'd be more that you would never see, guess it was exaggerated. I imagined something like max 50% of DEs per zone per char before you move on level wise.
    I hope they didn't have all DEs implemented in the beta then.
    I'd just rather have the surprise of new DEs on an alt that run through and try to complete everything on a character. But it does seem from the livestreams I saw that you tend to see a whole chain and u just get pulled along with them until completion; so yh, maybe u do just see almost everything. Somewhat disappointing.
    You have to do at least a zone worth of hearts before you move on, but with 5(currently 3) starting zone's it's not like you have to do everything to move on.
    I did not touch the Charr or norn 1-15 zones besides jumping puzzles on my necromancer before moving on to 15-25 zones. We won't talk about 15-25 zones due to 25+ zones not being available currently so it not being the best judge.

Also hearts are different than DEs, and some DEs are more common than others.
    There were some DEs that I saw multiple times within an hour, and some I did not see once while leveling in that area.

Deleted
    Thanks for linking that, nice to know they're on the same page as us about it.

Awesome
    pfffff to those who said that there will be very little optimization after the BWE.
    1 day after Anet have identified what needs to be done.

I can't wait until ppl really eat their naysaying words come release

So Peters basically said what I said in a few threads; keep moving, use terrain, build smart, keep the camera in constant motion. Sick of these Anet guys stealing my tips. Pfft.

I would love if there was a way to change the speed at which the screen spins. I had to turn my mouse DPI extremely low to find the setting I wanted to use which made it take forever to move my pointer around the screen. GW1 was too slow in contrast and now GW2 is too fast (for screen spinning).

Quote Originally Posted by masterpiece View Post
    I would love if there was a way to change the speed at which the screen spins. I had to turn my mouse DPI extremely low to find the setting I wanted to use which made it take forever to move my pointer around the screen. GW1 was too slow in contrast and now GW2 is too fast (for screen spinning).
    I thought the screen turning was perfect.
    The mouse turning, however, should be much faster.
    Keyboard turning in any kind of competitive PvE or PvE environment is already pretty bad, but people still do it in less serious content and should not be punished quite as much as they currently are with keyboard turning.

(Note: I don't keyboard turn. I actually never let go of my right mouse button, which is why I had to turn off fast casting and double hit my ground 2-5 staff skills instead.)

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    You have to do at least a zone worth of hearts before you move on, but with 5(currently 3) starting zone's it's not like you have to do everything to move on.
    I did not touch the Charr or norn 1-15 zones besides jumping puzzles on my necromancer before moving on to 15-25 zones. We won't talk about 15-25 zones due to 25+ zones not being available currently so it not being the best judge.

Also hearts are different than DEs, and some DEs are more common than others.
    There were some DEs that I saw multiple times within an hour, and some I did not see once while leveling in that area.
    Yh......I'm a bit of a purist though when it comes to starting zones and I like to keep things race orientated. Maybe I'll get over that lol. Good to know there's at least enough content in a zone to lvl enough. The interaction of hearts and DEs sounds like it makes play flow nicely too.
    I also hope they up mob xp too....from what ppl said it makes it harder to level...
    But hey....beta. All this will be balanced I'm sure to exactly what they know works best.

Yh......I'm a bit of a purist though when it comes to starting zones and I like to keep things race orientated. Maybe I'll get over that lol. Good to know there's at least enough content in a zone to lvl enough. The interaction of hearts and DEs sounds like it makes play flow nicely too.
    I also hope they up mob xp too....from what ppl said it makes it harder to level...
    But hey....beta. All this will be balanced I'm sure to exactly what they know works best.
    So you want to level only in your starting zone, and you do not want to do all of the content in that zone to level or repeat content?
    You'll likely be SoL, then, it's not how the game is designed. :P

Yea. It's kind of grind game, Banes.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    So you want to level only in your starting zone, and you do not want to do all of the content in that zone to level or repeat content?
    You'll likely be SoL, then, it's not how the game is designed. :P
    Not exactly. Maybe the whole, ur very unlikely to see content twice on 2 separate characters that was extensively talked about, was just overplayed.
    Just personally, if I'm making an asura i'd like, at least in the very beginning zone, to be able to stick to asura content. It builds the story for me. Did the same in wow with the races. Dwarf, I did all the dwarf quests I could find.
    GW2 has enough content so that's awesome. I can always go level in wvw for a bit if I want to. Not like ur not given lots of options.
    After the starter zone though ofc I want to branch out and see the world Don't worry, I'm not SoL xD
    Oh......that's only for the first character of any given race I make....once I've experienced the zone I have no problem at all on running through wherever on a 2nd toon of that race.
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-05-01 at 04:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently they turned up XP gains during the server downtime (which was to implement a few mostly backend changes).

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I think jumping in GW2 actually slows you down. So you can't do that "jump-turn" thing like you do in WoW. But I never tested it, I found kiting to be really difficult though. It's a lot more than just running and shooting, since you actually move slower by strafing than if you just run forward.

It was fun though, and wasn't frustrating for me.
    I was definitely able to do jump-turning as an engineer. I even jump-disengag- I MEAN ROCKET JUMPED away from mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I was definitely able to do jump-turning as an engineer. I even jump-disengag- I MEAN ROCKET JUMPED away from mobs.
    I really hope they remove the pause from the start of jump shot

Edit: Oh, you mean rocket boots