Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So people really AFK on their flying mounts on STV / Un'Goro / Any other weird place while they have nothing to do?

No, they just afk on the Capital Cities while waiting for their BG/Dungeon Queue.

Flying mounts didn't kill world PvP. You can blame the Dungeon Finder and the fact that Trade Chat is only on Capital Cities for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post

Yeah, these pollute the ozone with their awful gases.

OT: No, not really at all. They made it more conveinent.

lawl i actually thought it was guna a joke thread about something like this X]
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomthulsa View Post
    Nobody complained when they were introduced in Burning Crusade.

You couldn't fly in Azeroth in the Burning Crusade, and World PVP was vivid.

10+ Year Old Account
    An igloo in Canada awaiting the end of the world...
    If there was a huge demand for world pvp, blizz wouldn't have "destroyed it". I have to admit that world PVP in TBC was pretty awesome but i had more fun raiding towns than actually doing the various pvp objectives throughout outland.

Slightly off topic, but i love the fact that they put in an area like TB where if you want to pvp you can go nuts and there isnt any hiding in the sky, it's confined.

Back on topic, honestly i can appreciate the sheer size of azeroth and its environment better from above than on the ground.

I guess for the dev , they have better option to make the design of the world map

now you have a fly mount , you have no chance to get stuck in a hole or whatever

I was doing stuff on my groud mount in org and I said , fuck that , gimmeh mah flying mount

The world of warcraft map grow bigger and bigger, I dont see why they should remove the fly mount

If people in the game seriously wanted to be social with strangers or engage in world PvP, then they'd do those things.

Flying mounts wouldn't really make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricityscape View Post
    You couldn't fly in Azeroth in the Burning Crusade, and World PVP was vivid.
    In Outland it was vivid, and it still is. In Azeroth, it was long dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always liked encountering other players while traveling. Now, they all sit in hubs, and when going place-to-place, it feels like you are alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzeke View Post
    I always liked encountering other players while traveling. Now, they all sit in hubs, and when going place-to-place, it feels like you are alone.
    Of course they do, and of course it does. Some of us have done the content ad naseum and have no reason to *be* traveling anywhere. On my main, I log in, do the JC daily, check the AH, run an old dungeon for gold/recipes (since I've polished off all the reputations and dailies currently available), and then log out. Why would I choose to sit somewhere other than a hub? I can watch trade for tradeskill work, keep an eye on the AH, etc. Unless I'm doing archaeology, there's no reason for me to be anywhere else. Don't tell me that people didn't gather in capital cities at endgame in Vanilla. I simply won't believe you. Let me put it this way, either I'm logged in sitting in a hub, I'm logged in questing (if I have stuff to solo on my alts, sometimes I'm waiting for a guild dungeon run on them and so I don't have anything to do until the appointed guildie(s) show up), or I'm not logged in at all.

As I said in my previous post, I felt alone in Azeroth well before flying was allowed. I spent over a year questing old world across six characters. I didn't run into many people "traveling" or doing anything at all. Oftentimes, I was the only person from my faction in a given zone. The only times I ran into a lot of people were when I was in my late level 20s and our server had the burden of being designated a destination for new players. Then the starter zones were absolutely packed. But after a few weeks, that thinned out completely and I went back to running into no one while questing again. And this is before the dungeon finder was ever introduced, so you can't really blame it on that either. One of the problems you're running into is that people have already leveled their characters. It's like children - you spend more time paying attention to your first one, by the time you have a few alts you just want it to be *done*. So you shortcut, travel as fast as possible, and don't pay as much attention to the scenery. If you had a server made up of entirely new players, starting at level 1, you'd find the interaction you crave. You're not looking at the root cause of why there's little interaction, you're simply seeing side effects and symptoms.

flying has actually increased my enjoyment of the scenery and landscape. Stuck on a ground mount you miss sooooo much. I can fly around and check the landscape and scenery from all sorts of angles and see stuff I never could before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozles View Post
    threads like this make me sad. this is a game, afterall. people don't want to make the landscape look bigger, or have it more realistic. you want realistic? go outside and get some fresh air. people want games to be as convenient as possible, while still holding up challenge wherever possible and necessary (i.e raiding). this is why people think that everyone that plays warcraft is a virgin in their basement. mmo games shouldn't be realistic, they're a fucking video game.

stop making threads like this.
    you're statements speak for one group of people. some people like having actual worlds to their game and not feel like it's little more than a lobby to wait in.

This is just another in a long line of irreversible changes Blizz made. You cant undo it now - too many people will complain and vote with their money - which is all Blizz cares about.

I agree with the OP. That is why Guild Wars II is bound to be successful. Flying mounts ruin the sense of the zone being big. So I do agree. Flying mounts have ruined the sense of the world being huge.

Look at a simple analogy. Howling Fjord with a mount vs. Howling Fjord with a flying mount. It's incredible with a ground mount. The flying mount just ruins the view.
    Last edited by Kynario; 2011-05-08 at 10:40 AM.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Deleted
    Flying mounts ruined nothing from my point of view, so let me use them, thanks.

However I agree their use during 80-85 leveling made the experience much less interesting (but I'm weak and couldn't resist using it), so maybe prevent their use during the next stage of leveling.
    Last edited by mmocafd6fe3fae; 2011-05-08 at 10:43 AM.

It's bullshit.. I my self love the feel of a ground mount, and I often chose to run around on the ground rather than fly.. BUT there is no chance in hell that I would be farming archaeology on a ground mount.. Doing such a proff is way to boring with mount speed: 220% (Guild Perk)
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Deleted
    Compared to "Blizzard Airlines" mine mounts are prety good

Deleted
    The only thing that bugs me about flying mounts is that they're now allowed in the capital cities. I know it's a somewhat inconvenience to get around to places as quickly as possible - but it was nice to do that on your ground mount. It seems that there isn't really a need for anyone to use ground mounts anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    What really ruined the atmosphere in WoW is the never ending stream of complaining about everything. Just my opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chellybear View Post
    The only thing that bugs me about flying mounts is that they're now allowed in the capital cities. I know it's a somewhat inconvenience to get around to places as quickly as possible - but it was nice to do that on your ground mount. It seems that there isn't really a need for anyone to use ground mounts anymore.
    Well i use ground mounts in Ogri but not in SW its too big and i was explore his streets over 5 years anyway

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominating View Post
    I understand that flying mounts are a convenience for players who have no patience for the environment of this game, and would rather instazoom to their mining/herb/arch nodes, or can't be bothered spending an extra five seconds reaching an NPC. But it has become apparent that letting flying become the norm for all of Azeroth has killed the sense of scale that was once so incredible in this game.

WoW has a beautiful art style, complimented by a huge draw distance that creates the feel of a large, comprehensive world that's completely open. One thing about WoW that's great is that nearly every environmental feature is accessible by the player. Now, some think flying seals that deal by letting you park your dragon on top of mountains and buildings you couldn't reach normally on ground. But while it's great that you have a freedom in accessing all parts of the game world, it kills the sense that the nature in the game is something immense and massive; what's the point of gigantic, imposing mountains, towering buildings and ziggurats, or vast oceans if you can just zoom on top or over them? Part of any atmosphere in a game is a sense that the player is smaller than the environment; when you can just instantly reach everything in the game, a sense of scale is destroyed. Plus, if you can just fly over ANYTHING in the game, there's no sense of a dynamic environment or any real danger in the game. World PvP is ruined.

Not to mention that flying mounts are inherently boring; flying in WoW is the exact same as swimming in the sky. I understand that the engine can't accommodate more visceral flying in, say, Aion, where you can glide and thrust rather than just fly in a complete straight line with an absurdly unrealistic ability of precision. If flying is really so big a convenience for players, I'd like to see Blizzard make attempts to have it be more fun--flying mounts are far more monotonous than ground mounts.

I know the common response would be to just stay on your ground mount and STFU. But the problem is that nobody else will do this, including enemy players; thus, social interaction and WoW's famous world PvP is going to be hindered because players are incentivized to hop onto their mounts and derp around in the sky. Random, spontaneous player interaction in the game world is killed, all for the sake of "convenience."

The bottom line is that I'd like to see flying mounts removed all together from Azeroth, and at least confine them to Outland or Northrend; they limit player interaction and reduce the sense of scale in WoW, two negative impacts that make this game less and less of a social MMO experience.
    I see your point, but such a huge thing is neeever gonna be removed after it have been implemented, Blizzard would piss too many players off. Especially all the kids