Marvels Agents of SHIELD season 5 had way better writing with better, villains, story arcs, conclusions than Game of Thrones.

After D&D ran out of GRRM's book material, GOT essentially became an action adventure show in the genre of Marvels Agents of SHIELD. But GOT writing was no were near the quality of MAoS.

GOT was amazing in the early seasons and it makes me sad that it didn't end as well as it started.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2019-05-29 at 01:15 AM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Read my second post above; I wasn't arguing "prequels are bad", I was making the point that subverting expectations was a key part of what made audiences enjoy GoT, and you can't functionally subvert expectations in a prequel. Because the expectations are that history worked out pretty much as we know it already did and created the setting we've already seen. You can change some details, like maybe it wasn't X who led the charge that pushed back the Night King, but Y, and X just took credit for it. But you can't change the fact that they fight the Night King and push him back. We know that's going to happen.
    Eh..idk... I think it's possible when you have a situation where you ultimately know part of the ending (i.e. the Long Night will end) but the stories you've heard may or may not actually match up with what actually happened. Hell, they seemed to indicate that there's a lot more to the Others and the Children of the Forest than was let on in the GoT series.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

5+ Year Old Account
    Kit is on rehab, stress, n the ending of GoT.

Poor guy...

God, fuck those producers n fuck their star wars movie

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Kit is on rehab, stress, n the ending of GoT.

Poor guy...

God, fuck those producers n fuck their star wars movie
    You dont know if its related to the game of thrones ending.

Everyone has a bad spell at work doesnt mean they need to go to rehab, you're unaware of his personal life and should not rush to judgement.

Im all for hating on D&D but life is more complicated than that.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    You dont know if its related to the game of thrones ending.

Everyone has a bad spell at work doesnt mean they need to go to rehab, you're unaware of his personal life and should not rush to judgement.

Im all for hating on D&D but life is more complicated than that.
    Apparently someone hasn't seen the actors reactions to hearing how s08 played out..

5+ Year Old Account
    Apparently someone hasn't seen the actors reactions to hearing how s08 played out..
    It's going to be very interesting to learn what they have to say when they're allowed to talk more freely.

Most of them are thankful to D&D for hiring them in the first place.

Kit Harrington was literally a nobody before thrones.

Now he has a farm in the country and a wife from this show. I think they're still on his xmas card list tbh.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Is there a reason why this thread is showing pages up to 1458 but is stopping on 1455?
    too popular, probably.

Dunno how many of you know this, but its been confirmed that D&D got the reigns to the genius writing of GRRM by meeting him, having a dinner (of course) and correctly answering his riddle of who is Jon Snows mother.

So the wolverine Origins buddy/duo got gifted the reigns to a series the author himself wrote to be unfilmable because way back when ole george wrote the thing he was writing for TV at the time and hated it and spawned the epic series a series of ice and fire. And the size and scope of the story would have been unfilmable if not for HBO's funding and support.

Kinda puts things into perspective a bit. George never ment for it to be a TV show and he gave these guys a chance because they were fans of the books basically.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it also explains why the earlier seasons were so good. Because they mostly relied on his writings and being massive fans/nerds of his writings they were largely pretty faithful and could pick and choose the best bits for TV then once that blueprint ran out it lost the plot rather quickly and noticeably.

10+ Year Old Account
    While hating on D&D is the cool thing to do (I even do it myself), you have to accept that when they started the show, they expected GRRM to at least finish his next book.

They thought they would be adapting the show from books, not having to write it themselves. Seasons 1 - 4 were fantastic, so they did a great job when they had the material.

I think it's obvious GRRM is also having problems wrapping it all up.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2019-05-30 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Here's the problem with the prequel;

We know exactly how it ends.

A major narrative feature that Martin relies on is subversion of expectations; Ned Stark was the classic hero, and BOOM, dead. Okay, maybe it's his eldest son Robb, we can get behind him, and oh god it's the Red Wedding what the fuck. Repeat over and over.

You can't subvert expectations with history, since we know what the outcome is. The only twists you can throw is that maybe you get there a different way than was written in the histories, but you still reach the same point. You have to, because that's what already happened, and we know that.

Worse, if you try, then you're stuck explaining your bullshit and twisting it back to fit back into history.

That (plus sex and violence) is what made GoT a phenomenon; the feeling that there was real risk for characters and "plot armor" isn't a thing. But a prequel has to provide that plot armor. It can't not, because if we know Billy did the thing in Year 42, then Billy has to be there in Year 42 to do the thing.

In GoT, until midway through the last season, "The Night King and his wights annihilate all humanity in Westeros" was a potential outcome. Unlikely, given how tragic it is, but certainly plausible. When they're telling the prequel, there's no such worry. We know they don't. We know that the living beat them back and wall them away for thousands of years. That's history. There's no way to subvert expectations with that, not without making your original story a lie.
    Well, sort of. I think the prequel is distant and vague enough that we don't know what's happening with the characters. I mean, we know there's gonna be maybe a Bran the Builder guy who'll make a wall (maybe? cause history sometimes gets weird like that), and we know Valyria will blow up, and there's other stuff like that. However, it's my understanding that it's not like it's going to be events taking place anywhere near the Game of Thrones events in time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    While hating on D&D is the cool thing to do (I even do it myself), you have to accept that when they started the show, they expected GRRM to at least finish his next book.
    Technically he did. When they got the rights and started working on it, he'd only published up to A Feast for Crows. A Dance with Dragons came out in July 2011, a couple months after season 1 aired.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I think it's obvious GRRM is also having problems wrapping it all up.
    Because he's not a writer. He comes up with many good ideas and is able to handle a multitude of plot threads very well, but the writing itself is repetitive and tends to sprawl all over the place when it should be focussed. Lately, it feels like he's written off more than he can chew...

Writers write. He keeps taking sizeable hiatuses from doing so (I believe he's stated as such on his own blog at some point). Also, given the reception that several of his plot points have garnered from seasons 7 and 8 I doubt he'll be as motivated to finish the series.

For myself I've stopped waiting for him to finish. I'm for the most part satisfied with the conclusions as they happened in the series. I agree with most that season 8 felt rushed, but, apart from Cersei's somewhat merciful death, I enjoyed it and am ready to move on to some other story. I will, however, probably pick something that's already completed so as not to repeat this "waiting a decade for the next chapter" nonsense. :P

So now that Sam is a Maester that basically he means he has to ignore Gilly/his kid and serve his role as maester to Bran and take a vow of celibacy.

Yet another ending D&D didnt even think of/care about.

Just imagine someone makes series out of Malazan books,but again,maybe better not,to ruin masterpiece like GoT got ruined.

15+ Year Old Account
    So now that Sam is a Maester that basically he means he has to ignore Gilly/his kid and serve his role as maester to Bran and take a vow of celibacy.

Speaking of maesters, what happened to the original maester (can't remember his name) who was faking his limping leg. The one who was banging the hooker in one scene. I've forgotten what happened.

I always thought he would have a bigger role in the show considering all that fake limp etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Speaking of maesters, what happened to the original maester (can't remember his name) who was faking his limping leg. The one who was banging the hooker in one scene. I've forgotten what happened.

I always thought he would have a bigger role in the show considering all that fake limp etc.
    Pycelle was killed off by Qyburn's little birds in the last episode in season 6, when the sept was blown up.

GRRM was a good writer when he needed to be. Problem was that he always wanted to go all Hollywood. Goal achieved. Now it seems he just lacks any ambition for completing his books.

I mean he was already in training, and the head Maester let gilly/lil sam stay there with Sam.

- - - Updated - - -

With Bran the Broken being King >_> , who else does that leave in case the worst should happen to be a claimant on the throne?

Queen Sansa the Slow Learner
    Arya the Murder Princess
    Tyrion the Imp
    maybe knights afterword, Ser Davos the Cant Fight for Shit or Ser Brienne the Big Woman, Ser Podrick the Magic Cock or even Ser Bronn the Lover of Bad Pussy
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Hmmm, I'll think about it. When A Dance of Dragons came out, this was the thread where we discussed the book, spoilers included even though the show wasn't that far yet.

I might just change the thread title to "Game of Thrones universe" or something like that.