Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    tWoW has been delayed til 2016.
    What the fuck? George needs to spend less time on talk shows and more time doing some actual writing >.<

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    He's slothful when it comes to writing. Wait; no, Martin doesn't write anymore. He just explains the gist of what he thinks about to his team of editors - who go back to the writing room and brainstorm what needs to be cut, changed, edited and so on, refining their script over and over again for years on end until they think it's ready to be stamped with Martin's name on it before being shipped off to the printer - while Martin sits back in lazy boy, indulging in all that revenue coming in from the books and show...

21st century writing for brand names folks! It's true.
    This is actually true, a friend of mine is from New Mexico and she has a cousin who works with GRRM, he was a writer in his own right before deciding to join his team.

I don't think he's as uninvolved as you imply but the gist of what you are saying is correct, at least according to what I've heard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    What the fuck? George needs to spend less time on talk shows and more time doing some actual writing >.<

- - - Updated - - -

This is actually true, a friend of mine is from New Mexico and she has a cousin who works with GRRM, he was a writer in his own right before deciding to join his team.

I don't think he's as uninvolved as you imply but the gist of what you are saying is correct, at least according to what I've heard.
    It is not like he is the only one to do it though.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    So apparently another guide book for ASOIAF came out today..... anyone have the books and the maps within.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    It is not like he is the only one to do it though.
    No, but most people are under the impression that the author of big name franchises actually wrote them. Usually, they write a book or two, then get editors to help them out, then just let the editors do it for them. That was what I wanted to clarify. Many fans think that Martin is all great and all (and he is imaginative); it's just that he didn't write those 1500 pages on the last ASOIAF you read.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, but most people are under the impression that the author of big name franchises actually wrote them. Usually, they write a book or two, then get editors to help them out, then just let the editors do it for them. That was what I wanted to clarify. Many fans think that Martin is all great and all (and he is imaginative); it's just that he didn't write those 1500 pages on the last ASOIAF you read.
    You mean like what I said Patterson did?

And of course he does not do it all on his own. I don't want him to, it would even take him longer to write it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    In some ways, George is too good for his own good.
    He's good, he's but he's really not that good, especially when you look at where the bulk of his books comes from.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I stumbled upon this earlier today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...RULY-look.html

Pretty interesting, eh? I really like how imposing the Iron Throne looks. It doesn't look particularly safe though so I can understand why it was toned down for the show.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Just saying but Stephen Erickson put out 10 books with an average page count of over 1k per book in just under 12 years, in comparison GRRM put out 5 books with an average page count of 850 in 15 years and Malazan is EVERY bit as complex as Song of Ice and Fire, so you can't really use complexity or length as an excuse for his slow ass writing speed.
    Mozart created far more symphonies than Beethoven. Both of them are rightly considered geniuses. We don't slam Beethoven for writing fewer symphonies, or even say he was slow.

- - - Updated - - -

He's slothful when it comes to writing. Wait; no, Martin doesn't write anymore. He just explains the gist of what he thinks about to his team of editors - who go back to the writing room and brainstorm what needs to be cut, changed, edited and so on, refining their script over and over again for years on end until they think it's ready to be stamped with Martin's name on it before being shipped off to the printer - while Martin sits back in lazy boy, indulging in all that revenue coming in from the books and show...

21st century writing for brand names folks! It's true.
    Wow, this is so cynical. Especially since Martin and his editors have been quoted as saying that Martin still works on a typewriter and has difficulty working anywhere but at home. That doesn't read as collaborative work to me. It screams "I need peace and quiet". I don't believe for a moment that his editors are on the level of ghostwriters.

Does he engage in collaborative work? Most likely, but the implication that he dooesn't do his own writing at all is rather ridiculous.

And it's insulting words like "slothful" that indicates just how disrespectful and entitled people are. GRRM is not your bitch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    You mean like what I said Patterson did?

And of course he does not do it all on his own. I don't want him to, it would even take him longer to write it.
    Fairly certain his pace is precisely because he doesn't phone it in like Patterson.
    Last edited by Sooba; 2014-10-29 at 03:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who gives a damn who writes the books as long as they are good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Who gives a damn who writes the books as long as they are good?
    But I... errm... uh....

<crickets>

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    and Malazan is EVERY bit as complex as Song of Ice and Fire
    Malazan is significantly more complex, tried reading up to the 3rd book and realized that I have no idea what is happening and how it's connected to the other books.

10+ Year Old Account
    So this aint about the TV program, more the books and a quiz show.

I watch this show called Tipping Point at the gym (the question appears on screen, and the answer is then displayed, so good to watch when listening to music).

Anyway, this question annoyed me, and I just want to double check that it should annoy me

The question was what book series does the books A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords come from.

I though to myself, well It's a Song of Fire and Ice, but I bet they have the answer as Game of Thrones, which they did...

So should this annoy me?

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post

I watch this show called Tipping Point at the gym (the question appears on screen, and the answer is then displayed, so good to watch when listening to music).

Anyway, this question annoyed me, and I just want to double check that it should annoy me

The question was what book series does the books A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords come from.

I though to myself, well It's a Song of Fire and Ice, but I bet they have the answer as Game of Thrones, which they did...

So should this annoy me?
    Yes, yes it should. Game of Thrones is the first book, not the series. Now i'm annoyed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post

So should this annoy me?
    Is that exactly how the question was presented? Because that could be an important difference. If it's like you wrote, then yes you should be annoyed. A Game of Thrones is the first book, and the series is A Song of Ice and Fire by the way Not Fire and Ice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    A Song of Ice and Fire by the way Not Fire and Ice.
    Eh why are you telling me that? Oh wait nvm haha, can't help writing it the other way.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2014-11-11 at 02:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Malazan is significantly more complex, tried reading up to the 3rd book and realized that I have no idea what is happening and how it's connected to the other books.
    Agreed, but this is a GoT thread so I thought I'd err on the side of GRRM .
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    A bit late, but David Benioff confirmed last week that Bran wouldn't be appearing in Season 5.

Understandable, but I wonder why Brans actor said that he'd already filmed some stuff when Hodor's actor said he wasn't in it, last minute removals perhaps?

Some news about Telltales Games GoT project, six episodes, playing as a different character each episode, all the characters will be connected in some way to House Forrester (Northern House "Iron from Ice"), the series will begin towards the back end of Season 3 of the show, and end before the beginning of Season 5.
    Last edited by mmoc8116b97f51; 2014-11-13 at 09:41 PM.

Sounds like Telltale's game will be 4-6 hour long standalone episodes with a little bit of inter connectivity going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Deleted
    Strange they chose that motif, I wonder if that's to simply keep up awareness that Bran and the Three Eyed Raven will be missing this season and back for the next one.