Jon Snow knows things now...
    1 - His pants are brown
    2 - His sword is a bit weird
    3 - His pants are suddenly heavier
    4 - He should NOT have joined the Nights Watch
    5 - His pants are warmer than expected
    6 - He has shat himself
    http://www.reddit.com/r/thingsjonsnowknows/

for those that don't get it... there's a reddit sub called things jon snow knows with 17,000 subscribers and 0 posts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    *Winter is HERE
    lol, what happened at Hardhome was just a friendly hello

10+ Year Old Account
    Easily the best episode of the season. That ending sequence was great, I just hope they didn't pour all of their budget into it.

Jon's scenes were excellent. I have no more misgivings about Kit. His whole arc this season has has been decent, and was satisfying even in the bounds of that one episode. The other Wildlings including not-Val were cool too, especially Wun-Wun. Even that dickhead Thenn wasn't just another bad guy.

I'm... not really buying the Tyrion/Dany partnership though. I can imagine they were ecstatic about pairing up the two fan favourites, but... eh. It didn't feel natural to me.

Deleted
    How many wildlings were saved at then end? It looked like a great part of them were massacred, I mean, when the fog came and this dude closed the gates most of the people that were outside died in the minute.

Well Jon mentions something to the effect of 5000 actually going with them, but I doubt they had that many on the boats by the time shit hit the fan.
    "And if it ends with both of us dying in an explosion taking out a Reaper - remember, I took the killshot." ~ Garrus Vakarian

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drachman View Post

- - - Updated - - -

As for Tyrion being a Targaryen, there's already too much of his life that's been a lie. All the hatred Cersei has for him and his father had for him. His relationship with his brother. Him killing his brother, I doesn't make sense to undo all that really. Plus, him on a Dragon would look a bit strange lol.
    Oh look. Another person who thinks his parentage somehow magically changes his relationship with his dead father and soon-to-be dead sister. It doesn't give him some free pass. His family is still his family. (And he still had the same mother) If anything it makes it harder because he would realize his biological father wasn't some strong capable ruler who happened to hate him, but rather a partially insane tyrannical monster.

They've already foreshadowed his mounting a dragon with that special seat he designed.
    Last edited by Sooba; 2015-06-01 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    They've already foreshadowed his mounting a dragon with that special seat he designed.
    That's actually a great point, assuming you mean the seat he had designed for Bran so he could ride a horse, way back in Season 1. One of the classic storytelling tropes is the ending embedded in the beginning. Makes perfect sense that Tyrion would design a special harness for a dragon. I'm 100% on board with Tyrion being one of the 3 heads of the dragon.

PLUS, when he goes to visit Jon at the wall in Season 1, he mentions that he always loved dragons as a child. It's the perfect set-up: downtrodden imp, abused and hated his whole life, gets to unleash hellfire on his enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrus View Post
    Hello my new desktop background. XD
    yup, I did the same

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The best scene in this episode was Tyrion and Dany sitting at a table drinking wine.
    There's not much those two can't do.

Kind of disappointed to see zombies.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warhoof6556 View Post
    That's actually a great point, assuming you mean the seat he had designed for Bran so he could ride a horse, way back in Season 1. One of the classic storytelling tropes is the ending embedded in the beginning. Makes perfect sense that Tyrion would design a special harness for a dragon. I'm 100% on board with Tyrion being one of the 3 heads of the dragon.

PLUS, when he goes to visit Jon at the wall in Season 1, he mentions that he always loved dragons as a child. It's the perfect set-up: downtrodden imp, abused and hated his whole life, gets to unleash hellfire on his enemies.
    In the books it makes it clear that he had dragon dreams as a child. The foreshadowing also got blatant by the middle of book 5. Kinda like Mel's "All I see is Snow" (paraphrased), Moqorro lists a bunch of dragons (Targaryens) to Tyrion but caps it off with "And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all." The imagery used is very clear. Tyrion isn't just among dragons. He IS one. He's snarling along with the rest of them.

And suddenly certain wonderful patterns emerge. All three heads of the dragon had their mother die in childbirth (Lyanna, Joanna, Rhaella). All three were raised by a man who was not their biological father (Ned, Tywin, Illyrio). All three were in some way an outcast. Then there's the Tyrion / Jaime connection. Each will have killed the other's father, (conveniently evading the kinslaying curse in the process).

And contrary to those who think it somehow makes Tyrion's relationship with Tywin somehow "less", it in fact complicates it even more. How ironic that Tyrion, the one who wasn't fully Lannister, was the one to best learn his father's lessons. GRRM is making a very pointed statement about nurture vrs. genetics here. The one who raised you is your father. And now Tyrion will have to grapple with the fact that Tywin was justified in his resentment of his son. Tyrion wasn't on trial for being a dwarf. He was on trial under suspicion (I'm not sure Tywin was 100% sure of the truth) of not being his own.

Yet much like Jaime and Cersei's incest, Tywin could not bring himself to admit the truth. Even moreso publically. So he was unable to outright kill Tyrion, because it would be admitting to the truth. Instead he mistreated Tyrion in his resentment, and left Tyrion to die in a myriad of passive ways. And now Tyrion will lose even Casterly Rock, the place he believed to be "mine by rights". He's a bastard, not the trueborn heir. (Speaking of bringing it around to the beginning, remember what he tells Jon about dwarfs and bastards? )

I could go on at length about all the ways this works beautifully narratively. And some of the implications -- Suddenly Cersei only has one true "valonquar" for example.

And yes, that's the seat I'm speaking of. Tyrion didn't just make it for Bran. He designed and made it for himself so he could sit atop a horse. Bran just happened to be able to make good use of the design.
    Last edited by Sooba; 2015-06-02 at 12:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I've been skimming through the recent posts and..you guys think Jon will die and be resurrected as some ancient hero? Why? Or rather, where can I read up on this theory.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

Deleted
    And the silence in the end, it hit me far worse than any dramatic music would have.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    So I've been skimming through the recent posts and..you guys think Jon will die and be resurrected as some ancient hero? Why? Or rather, where can I read up on this theory.
    Short form: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Azor_Ahai
    http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Azor_Ahai/Theories

Long Form: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...9589-rlj-v-65/

Video Form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3o2LqFZcGU

10+ Year Old Account
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    That is a nice wallpaper. If anyone has any of the Jon Snow sword battle, please PM them to me.
    If anyone passes any down to you, would you mind doing the same for me? I'm using one with "Winter is Coming" but with House Stark sigil. I would love one of Longclaw but there doesn't seem to be any at 1920x1080p whenever I search for it on Google. I've seen a few but they were just horrible to be honest.

And suddenly certain wonderful patterns emerge. All three heads of the dragon had their mother die in childbirth (Lyanna, Joanna, Rhaella). All three were raised by a man who was not their biological father (Ned, Tywin, Illyrio). All three were in some way an outcast. Then there's the Tyrion / Jaime connection. Each will have killed the other's father, (conveniently evading the kinslaying curse in the process).
    Huh? Who's Tyrions father exactly?

If I'm reading this right, you just blew my mind. Now it makes sense. Dany and Tyrion are brother and sister, then? Joanna Lannister was Aerys Targaryen's paramour. That means Dany and Tyrion had the same father (Aerys). That explains how quickly they took to one another in last night's episode. It certainly points to a stronger relationship than simply advisor and queen.

And Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, that would make him Tyrion's nephew?

10+ Year Old Account
    The Lannisters have a bigger and stronger army than the faith militant. And so do the Tyrells. Why on earth aren't they combining forces and crushing the faith militant?
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    The Lannisters have a bigger and stronger army than the faith militant. And so do the Tyrells. Why on earth aren't they combining forces and crushing the faith militant?
    Tyrells have two immensely important heirs stuck in prison. And the Lannisters have lost a LOT of power with Tywin dead and basically every one of their allies (Except arguably the Tyrells) breaking off from them due to Tywin's death.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Because they fear the second they go in with force they will immediately kill Maergery/Lorys