Help ! windows update has destroyed my computer!

Hey guys, im posting from my brothers laptop because a windows update has like totally destroyed my PC!

Ok, so this is what happened. When i turned on my computer the other day there was a window update being installed on my computer before i could log into it, ok no problem havent had a update in a while.
    So while i was waiting for it to update i got a snack, and when i returned it was on the login screen as normal.
    I tryed moving my mouse and it wouldnt work. then i tried typing and it wouldnt work.
    Ok.. wierd. i reset my computer, went to the login screen as normal and same problem, mouse was frozen and keyboard wasent working.
    At this stage i was like hmm.. maybe my keyboard and mouse isnt working, but then i tried usin my mouse and keyboard on my brothers laptop and they worked.
    No problem, turned the swtich off and left my computer off overnight.

Next day i still have the same problem.
    When i turned the computer on i could use the keyboard to select ''start windows normaly'' and clicking f12 and moving through all the options and things that come up when you press f12 etc.
    I got my brother to look at my computer and he couldnt fix it either, so right now im not sure whats going on but as far as i know, the last windows update broke my computer and i cant log to my pc because my mouse or laptop wont work when im on the login screen.

Has anyone had the same or similar problem? is there a way to save my computer without losing all my photos and music?
    Im not a very intelligent person when it comes to computers, so bare with me if i have any questions please! thankyous!

EDIT: For anyone who doesnt understand what im talking about, its this login screen to my pc that is pretty much ''frozen'
    Last edited by tilatequila; 2011-05-14 at 04:25 AM.

Deleted
    After you switch on the power to the laptop - you'll usually see either the Manufacturer Logo or BIOS doing its thing.

You'll want to be mashing F8 as its about to complete, and keep doing so until you get to a Windows boot options menu. First, try and select "Last Known Good Configuration". If that doesn't help the situation, go back and select "Safe Mode".
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-05-14 at 05:18 AM.

Thanks, i'll try that out soon !

---------- Post added 2011-05-14 at 05:42 AM ----------

Ok

Ok,so i done last known good configuration and i could use my keyboard and log in!
    but once i logged in nothing was there! just the bar at the bottom but without all the little syymbols.

I tried safemode aswell, things still werent really working properly though, all my files and desktop items were there, but my mouse wasent working! ialso tried multiple mouses and none worked.
    Also the screen was enlarged for some reason too.

Making some progress though..

---------- Post added 2011-05-14 at 06:41 AM ----------

bump!

Quote Originally Posted by tilatequila View Post
    Also the screen was enlarged for some reason too.

---------- Post added 2011-05-14 at 06:41 AM ----------

bump!
    It happened once to me on XP , when I changed the resolution the icons went out of the screen , use auto arrange or change back to the old resolution .

USB mouse/keyboard?

I have not had problems like this DIRECTLY related to a windows update; however multiple times in the past my computer has started up and keyboard/mouse would not register input. I never found the -exact- problem, but I'm rather sure it has to do with how windows caches USB drivers.

IF keyboard works perfect though DOS booting/BIOS, once windows is loaded is the keyboard/mouse powered? Look at the numlock/capslock lights, will they turn on? If you have a wired optical mouse is the lazer light on?

What is happening is windows does not recognizing the USB device for some reason.
    SOLUTION: Start up windows normally,
    WAIT 5 full minutes at the login screen. Try keyboard/mouse,
    if/when it doesn't work, unplug the keyboard/mouse, wait 20 seconds, plug them into DIFFERENT USB slots, wait for windows to sound the de-dum of new hardware. This has always worked, but has taken up to 5 minutes for windows to recognize a USB plugged in[at login screen]

Windows update might have messed with windows drivers cached for your USB devices; and for some reason, it takes a very long time for windows to register a new USB connections/drivers at the login screen.
    Last edited by RustyMetal; 2011-05-14 at 01:27 PM.

ok no problem havent had a update in a while.
    Not to nitpick, but there are usually updates weekly from MS. If you're not receiving an update for months on end, you should probably look to your settings

Deleted
    You need to find a way to run System Restore.

Once logged in, press [WindowsKey] + [R].

Type in: rstrui.exe

Use arrowkeys, tab, and the spacebar to navigate and select an appropriate point to restore to.