Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Front Page advertisement...

So whats up with the RIFT ad on the front page of ( at least what I thought ) was a WoW dedicated news site??

Is MMO-Champion going the way of Wowhead?

Deleted
    I think that Google chooses the adds. Since the site is called MMO-Champion, Google puts ads for MMOs on the front page.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    I think that Google chooses the adds. Since the site is called MMO-Champion, Google puts ads for MMOs on the front page.
    Oh the irony eh?

Honestly, if your site is named mmo-champion, why not be about all of em? you know more then one thread of each?
    Main thread areas for each game even.

I saved a pic of the front page the first time it happened titled irony.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are these add things you speak of?

:3

Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post

Yeah it's pretty damn annoying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarionSilver View Post
    What are these add things you speak of?

:3
    I see what you did there.
    AdBlock ftw?

I don't understand... This site IS called MMO-Champ. While a huge part of it might be dedicated to just wow, you are allowed to talk and discuss about other MMO's on the forums. I don't see how this is odd at all unless they plan to make this site ONLY about warcraft. But then we would only see gold farming/selling advertisements.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Oh the irony eh?

Honestly, if your site is named mmo-champion, why not be about all of em? you know more then one thread of each?
    Main thread areas for each game even.

I saved a pic of the front page the first time it happened titled irony.
    There is no irony.

Google simply picks the ads based on the name and the demographic. MMO-Champion is sweepingly called "MMO"-Champion, of course, but the demand was for WoW news primarily.

Not like Boub said "Fuck you other MMOs, I piss on your faces." WoW is just the top dog at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    I just wish the rift add wasn't so distracting.

Google chooses adds based on what websites you go to, what website you're on and your location. Stop being stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of who chooses the adds, the big ol' one surrounding the main page is new
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

10+ Year Old Account
    [] New
    [] Fresh
    [] Exciting

When making new threads, please make sure the above boxes are filled out.

For real though, it's MMO-Champion, not WoW-Champion.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilyania View Post
    I don't understand... This site IS called MMO-Champ. While a huge part of it might be dedicated to just wow, you are allowed to talk and discuss about other MMO's on the forums. I don't see how this is odd at all unless they plan to make this site ONLY about warcraft. But then we would only see gold farming/selling advertisements.
    They do intend it to be wow only, they keep any non wow games to one thread, and lock thousands of others.

And we do often see wow gold site adds.

Deleted
    Boub was interview back in 09 and the website that interviewed him asked the same question. His response was "originally the site was meant to report on all sorts of different MMO's, but he underestimated just how much WoW news there would be and as such, dedicated the entire site to reporting WoW news only". Or something similier to that. Point is your allowed to talk about other MMO's, but Boub is one man and theres simply too much news to report on WoW.

Edit: Link to interview :- http://wow.joystiq.com/2009/05/05/15...-mmo-champion/

and quote your looking for :-

Where is MMO-Champion headed today? Will the site remain focused on World of Warcraft, or will it grow to include other MMOs?
    The original plan was to include other MMOs, but I didn't expect the WoW part of the site to be so popular. It takes all my time now, and I don't think you will see any other MMO covered on MMO-Champion.

I really want to talk about a few other games like EVE Online or Diablo 3 -- but it won't be on MMO-Champion, and I won't do it until I have the time to do something nice with each site. I don't really want to use MMO-Champion's popularity to launch tons of new sites and just report official posts for every MMOs out there without any further research.

There are still a lot of things I want to do with MMO-Champ. You might see some of them in the next few weeks or months, but I can't really give any details on that yet. Let's just say that I'm definitely not done with WoW for the moment.

There are also a few things on the work at Major League Gaming. We launched a new Ventrilo hosting service called MLGVoice, and the WoW tournaments of the PC Circuit 2009 will start in June.
    Last edited by mmoce5ee2a432e; 2011-05-28 at 07:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    There is no irony.

Google simply picks the ads based on the name and the demographic. MMO-Champion is sweepingly called "MMO"-Champion, of course, but the demand was for WoW news primarily.

Not like Boub said "Fuck you other MMOs, I piss on your faces." WoW is just the top dog at the moment.
    No its really not lol, wow is boring. only the die hard fans remain, new people are not joining like they used to. wow has hit a wall.

---------- Post added 2011-05-28 at 07:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rewn View Post
    Boub was interview back in 09 and the website that interviewed him asked the same question. His response was "originally the site was meant to report on all sorts of different MMO's, but he underestimated just how much WoW news there would be and as such, dedicated the entire site to reporting WoW news only". Or something similier to that. Point is your allowed to talk about other MMO's, but Boub is one man and theres simply too much news to report on WoW.
    We don't get news that often sometimes, thats when they feature new computer parts and addons.

In those news less days why not report on some other game?

No its really not lol, wow is boring. only the die hard fans remain, new people are not joining like they used to. wow has hit a wall.
    The die hard 11 million? lol

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ad's o.o I'm unaware of this

~Huggles my Adblock+

Deleted

---------- Post added 2011-05-28 at 07:56 PM ----------

We don't get news that often sometimes, thats when they feature new computer parts and addons.

In those news less days why not report on some other game?
    You might not get news, but Boub is still there in the background working away. In times like these, he's constantly datamining and comparing stuff from the PTR to get new stuff out Asap. When the PTR stuff is made Live, he has to cover news and try to be the first to report it, like world firsts etc. At the same time he's also doing background stuff like thinking of improvements the site could use etc

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    There is no irony.

It goes deeper then that even, Google can recognize keywords from specific threads, the other day someone made a thread about hair loss and the ads that popped up were all about dealing with hair loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rewn View Post
    You might not get news, but Boub is still there in the background working away. In times like these, he's constantly datamining and comparing stuff from the PTR to get new stuff out Asap. When the PTR stuff is made Live, he has to cover news and try to be the first to report it, like world firsts etc. At the same time he's also doing background stuff like thinking of improvements the site could use etc
    Aint that illegal?