Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Warhammer 40k Novels. Futuristic Gothic Fantasy. If you want to see heroism and badassery at its finest look no further most of the books are pure epicness and the whole lore and world behind em is just amazing. Id start with Horus Heresy series to get into it and see a bit of background story. Later you can read more chapter specific stories , the blood angels books are pretty good, same for ultramarines books

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    David Eddings: Pawn of Prophecy - Book 1 of the Belgariad.
    Also, David and Leigh Eddings: The Dreamers series

Trudy Canavan: Age of the Five series

Darren Shan's Demonata series (10 books) and his latest one on vampires (not sure what the series is, but the books out so far are Birth of a Killer and Ocean of Blood) are definitely worth a read. I also liked fantasy novels (I have personally read the Harry Potter series multiple times) but when I found Shan, it was perfect. Most of his books leave me waiting for the next ones release! However, he does write very gory, so just a word in advance if that's not your cup of tea.

You could also try some Simon R Green - I'm currently waiting for his latest book in the Secret Histories series. Less gory then Shan, but I very much enjoyed reading this series.

EDIT: Aha, just found Shan's latest series - it's the Saga of Larten Crepsly.
    Prophecy are recruiting! Visit our website at http://warcraft-prophecy.net/ to find out more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    A Song of Ice and Fire without question.
    Agree ²

And if you ask me, the Harry potter books past the 3rd one were shite.

Game of thrones all the way. Great to see how well they are sticking to the text as well in the series (which is also awesomesauce)

Even though I prefer books, I started watching The Game of Thrones and the series is really well done. Mark Addy makes a great king, who would've thought.

books to read:
    Sword of Truth Series
    Wheel of Time Series
    Dragonlance Series (Wiess & Hickman)
    Forgotten Realms
    Dresden Files
    Codex Alera

I've read a few different Vampire/Werewolf type books but I can't remember the names atm. I will post again after I get home and check my library.

Deleted
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Raymond E. Feist. I'd suggest you go and buy Magician. It's the first book in the riftwar saga and if your looking for a very epic story line that spans 100's of years you can continue on into the serpentwar saga and beyond. By and large 1 of the best fantasy series out there.

scratch that someone mentioned several posts above mine, go buy it, you wont regret it
    Last edited by mmoc0635589ad4; 2011-05-23 at 04:01 PM. Reason: blindness

Deleted
    started reading a game of thrones and i had my first "OMFG THIS IS AWESOME" experience when reading a book

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont think I got past the third book of Wheel of Time, great book but can I really really be botherd to read them all lol.

If you like fantasy read Orcs by Stan Nicholas if you havent already, thats an awesome book, I am currently reading his follow up now.
    I have also read Dwarfs and The War of the Dwarves by Markus Heitz, I am a big Dwarf fan so I loved these.

Deleted
    One series of books i can quite heartily recommend are the Artemis Fowl series, by Eoin Colfer. in some reviews i read, they are mentioned in one go with Harry Potter. It is about a teenage boy, Artemis Fowl, who discovers an entire world of magical beings who are living in a hollow earth and begins extorting them. It's not pure fantasy, because The People (those magical beings) are technologically superior to current humans, with laser weaponry, high-tech personal flight devices involving flapping wings and timestops.

one thing to note, though, is that they are meant as teenager books. however, i find that they have enough winks to modern society and have enough underlying comments that they are more than viable for any reader. the comparison with harry potter is more than deserved.

another series, but one that's more dark fantasy (though not so dark it becomes horror, it is also suitable for teens), is Power of five, by Anthony Horowitz. it borrows somewhat from the Cthulhu mythos and involves the interference of "the old ones" into modern society, and the quest of 5 teenagers, who are spread around the world, to find each other and stop the old ones from destroying the world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanryu View Post
    The Kingkiller Chronicles -- Patrick Rothfuss.
    The Farseer Trilogy -- Robin Hobb
    The Sword of Truth -- Terry Goodkind.

Kingkiller is only partially complete at 2 of 3 books released at the moment but both are fantastic beyond a point typically seen in fantasy and would be where I recommended someone new to the genre to start.

Farseer, while called a trilogy is actually a set of 4 sets of 3. These are usually one that are less known but overall one of my favorites. Lots of politics layered into the realm, but less heavy on the actual magic as compared to what is typical.

The Sword of Truth is also a fantastic set of 13, this one is more your typical epic fantasy with magic and monsters with straightforward bad guys and a hero you want to root for on his quest to save the world and his one love, etc.
    I agree! The Kingkiller Chronicles and The Farseer Trilogy are gorgeous.
    A Song of Ice and Fire and His Dark Materials were mentioned as well, really worth reading.

Deleted
    I'd really recommend the Deverry Cycle by Katherine Kerr. One of the most awesome things I've ever read. You basically follow the characters through multiple lives as they try to make up for what they've done to eachother in past lives and fullfill their destiny. And there is dragons in it!

There's a fair few books though but completely worth it.

The Dragonlance novels!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance

1. Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    2. Dragons of Winter Night
    3. Dragons of Spring Dawning
    4. Dragons of Summer Flame

5. Time of the Twins
    6. War of the Twins
    7. Test of the Twins

8. Dragons of the Dwarven Depths
    9. Dragons of the Highlord Skies

I'm almost done with these and they are by far the best fantasy novels I've ever read. Now, if you like a little risque action in your books, check out Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series (vampires and werewolves) or Meredith Gentry series (Faeries), and also Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_of_Ages).

the hunger games (by suzanne collins) (now that i think of it, it's more of a science-fiction novel, but totally awesome)
    eragon
    percy jackson
    the chronicles of narnia (7 books!)
    Last edited by Sundreamer; 2011-05-23 at 05:14 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss:

The Name of the Wind (I've read it; it's excellent)
    The Wise Man's Fear (Just came out a couple months ago)
    The Doors of Stone (Forthcoming; next year I believe)

I've talked to very well-read friends who say they're the best fantasy books ever written.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundreamer View Post
    the hunger games (by suzanne collins)
    My daughter (10y) has been asking about The Hunger Games series, would you consider it appropriate for a 10y old? I've never heard of the author or the series.

Aside from what has already been recommended here I highly suggest Tad Williams trilogy, Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory,_Sorrow,_and_Thorn

Quote Originally Posted by Taidaisher View Post
    My daughter (10y) has been asking about The Hunger Games series, would you consider it appropriate for a 10y old? I've never heard of the author or the series.
    hmmm...it's more a book for teens...it's about rich ppl sticking poor ppl into an arena and only 1 gets to survive...they have to slaughter each other...so it's a bit gory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundreamer View Post
    hmmm...it's more a book for teens...it's about rich ppl sticking poor ppl into an arena and only 1 gets to survive...they have to slaughter each other...so it's a bit gory
    Children love gory stories. FACT.

Or maybe I was just a very creepy kid. *Creepy laugh*

i would try the inheritence series. it starts off with eragon, eldest, brissinger, and there is a 4th coming out in november.

dont judge the book by the movie, its nowhere near the book.