Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Americans, what do you know about Europe ?

This is no troll thread, please don't flame and post non-constructive comments and, more generally, from both sides of the ocean, don't be stupid or go being it somewhere else.

I wonder what you learn about Europe in the States (and Canada). I often see someone from America not being sure of a fact that I thought clear and obvious for everyone. On the other hand, I have sometimes a lack of knowledge about the history and geography of North America and I'm pretty sure there are facts that you would think obvious and I couldn't be sure about them.

So, would you please tell me some of the things you know (or think you know) about the Old Continent ? Geography/History/Politics/Economics etc.
    Please, once again, do not go the "you lost the war and we pay your bills" way, or do it in a constructive way. Yup, USA are (still) the number 1 superpower in the world, I think we all know it and that is not the point of this discussion

Well, go ! And feel free to post a "mirror" thread, I would be happy to share the light knowledge I have of America with you guys

10+ Year Old Account
    They have British accents and have drive by arguments?

No, seriously, that's like all I got. Something about Soccer being called futball and being all unAmerican.

Chip chip, cheerio.

No, like seriously, I don't know crap about Europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Slightly on topic.. but a usual misconception is Scotland or Wales is in England. (i'm English btw)

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Don't you guys have driver seats on the right side of your cars?

Also many of you guys(Not all) tend to dislike us, but I guess the same can be said of every country's general attitude of every other country.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2011-05-26 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    They have British accents and have drive by arguments?

No, seriously, that's like all I got. Something about Soccer being called futball and being all unAmerican.

Chip chip, cheerio.

No, like seriously, I don't know crap about Europe.
    'Soccer' is called football. Tbh makes far more sense because its exclusively about feet :P

I dont get where this posh thing comes from tho. I mean, really? People tend to think of Britian as really posh but...come here, most of it is a massive shithole.

---------- Post added 2011-05-26 at 11:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    Don't you have driver's seats on the right side of the car?
    Makes sense when you drive on the left :P We also have roundabouts which are bastards but very useful.

Oh and that program didnt help you. Some guy walks around places in America asking all sorts of questions and the answers...omg. How many sides does a triangle have? And this guy just stands there. Its stuff like, 'Do you think we should invade 'insert made up country here' and like everyone was saying yes. IT DOESNT EVEN EXIST!
    Last edited by Darkdruidelf; 2011-05-26 at 10:51 AM.

the british does. them bastards!

"soccer" is called Football yes.
    ffs stop calling it soccer.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Don't you guys have driver seats on the right side of the car?
    Only in England i think, we drive on the right side, drive seat to the left.

Deleted
    As a Brit we're taught alot about Ameriac, if you watch KassemG on YouTube, you realise how much American's are taught about Europe/Britain, alot of them can't pinpoint England on a map, can't tell you the Queen's name, the PM's name. Although tbh alot of them can't name the current Vice President of the USA when i can xD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbsan View Post
    Only in England i think, we drive on the right side, drive seat to the left.
    In Britain we drive on the left side, driver's seat on the right side. Ye

---------- Post added 2011-05-26 at 11:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sherenei View Post
    But just in UK... well i'm not sure if they drive by the right in the scandinavian countries...
    In Denmark they drive on the right, I know that much. Think Driver's seat is on te left

15+ Year Old Account
    Aye, only England and I think some of the commonwealth drive on the left and have the seats on the right.

I recall a few things an exchange student was surprised about:
    He thought Switzerland was only mountains, had snow the entire year and everybody was rich.
    He also thought Germany was still ruled by Nazis.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sherenei View Post
    But just in UK... well i'm not sure if they drive by the right in the scandinavian countries...
    Yep just in uk and ireland ( but im not sure) they drive by right, in other european countires the drive is by the left.

Soccer is actually the original name for football, but then us English changed it back in the 1800s or something (when Rugby was split off from football). Cant find where I read it all, but both names are correct.

Deleted
    This, including currency system is one of the reasons I hate Britain as a country, why do we need to be different?

Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    In Britain we drive on the left side, driver's seat on the right side. Ye

---------- Post added 2011-05-26 at 11:54 AM ----------

In Denmark they drive on the right, I know that much. Think Driver's seat is on te left
    indeed we do.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Deleted
    I know my way around European history. We were required to learn the history of western civilization in high school and at university. From ancient Greece to modern Europe. Those classes so many years ago actually helped quite a bit when I first starting living in the UK three years ago. In fact, some of that history IS the reason why Great Britain and its current and former colonies drive on the left side of the road.

Deleted
    As a Brit i can actually name more Presidents than Prime Ministers, which is a bit sad.

Most continental europe is driving right side, seat left.
    Also, the UK isn't europe, it's only a (relatively small) part of europe, so saying europeans have a british accent makes no sense whatsoever.

No clue why the US-americans call handegg football. They're pretty alone in that, though, for most of the rest of the world football is what they call soccer.

Red: Right side of the road.
    Blue: Left side of the road

Im from Norway myself.

Don't you guys have driver seats on the right side of your cars?

Also many of you guys(Not all) tend to dislike us, but I guess the same can be said of every country's general attitude of every other country.

Yeah, we also drive on the left side of the road, at least in Britain. The only other European countries that do this though are Ireland and Cyprus. All the other EU countries drive on the same side as America, but in the rest of the world the only countries i can think of that drive on the left as well are Australia, New Zealand and Japan, I believe there are a few more mainly African countries. But yeah, most of Europe drive on the right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post
    the british does. them bastards!

"soccer" is called Football yes.
    ffs stop calling it soccer.
    idd.. srsly.. soccer.?? it makes no sence :P