Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Yep yep yep. Pity Funcom does not want to go this route on their own, but oh well ... even if they don't release it as b2p, you can play it as b2p.
    Speaking of which, I just pre-ordered the game. I looked on their web-page and was lead to believe the Master Pack was the total of the game plus some perks. An extra 10 or 15 bucks in. No, the Master Pack is in addition to the game order, making it over 100 dollars. But at least you get 10% lifetime discount at their store! Which only evens out after you spend 600 dollars at their store.

Currently speaking to Customer Support to get this sorted. If they won't refund the order, I'll charge back. I don't care if EA bans me for life for daring to exercise some consumer rights against them. Their fault if they want to lose a consumer in this instance.

That they even have to 'check' to see if I can get a refund is horrible business.

Edit: They are 'checking with a supervisor about this.' (TERA's got way better support, lotta screen caps of good GM exchanges)

Edit: Order's off my TSW account, transaction is listed as 'Pending' on my cc account. Attempted to order with other card, but they apparently don't take a debit card, even if processed as credit. Guess their loss, I won't be pre-ordering at this rate.
    Last edited by Mazinger-Z; 2012-06-26 at 01:29 PM.

Deleted
    I didn't get into beta. I am really, really, keen on trying this out, but after WAR & SWTOR I have become extremelly cynical about trying MMOs, especially those with an EA logo on them. I've heard a lot of bad things but also a fair few good ones (and not just the "XXX is fine, they're whiners" like you get from fanboys), I really don't know what to do. I've followed it pretty much since it was announced but I just don't know. I don't want to put down £50 on a game that will be dead in a month, or I just hate.

EA has no control over TSW. EA Partners is helping distribute. And before you go off saying "but it's still EA," EA Partners has helped distribute:

APB – Realtime Worlds
    Bulletstorm – Epic Games
    Crysis series – Crytek
    DeathSpank – Hothead Games
    Hellgate: London – Flagship Studios
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning – 38 Studios, Big Huge Games
    Left 4 Dead series, The Orange Box, Portal 2 (retail release) – Valve
    Overstrike – Insomniac Games
    Rock Band series – Harmonix and MTV Games
    The Secret World – Funcom
    Shadows of the Damned – Grasshopper Manufacture
    Shank – Klei Entertainment
    Warp – Trapdoor

So yeah, no room for EA in this conversation. If you're having billing issues, it's all Funcom.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    So yeah, no room for EA in this conversation. If you're having billing issues, it's all Funcom.
    EA is a co-publisher. They aren't entirely blameless. Though you are right, they probably don't have the power to exert any real influence, such as say if I'd bought SWTOR and had an issue. Then they'd probably just ban my Origin account.

Anyway, back on topic. I find the 'packs' to be a rather misleading, as the perks listed are the same things I'd get buying a 'Digital Deluxe' from any other game, minus the store discount. And the store discount would require spending 600 dollars to make that money back. I get a better deal getting a B&N membership. And then there's an additional 200 dollars for the 'lifetime subscription' of a game that is not even proven.

These are some of the worst practices I've seen in a video game launch. I'm surprised more reporting hasn't been done on these idiotic 'packs.'

10+ Year Old Account
    As for Polaris, I saw LFG, but I didn't want to waste me three days going somewhere no one gave me a quest to go to mor did I evn know where it is.
    You should have, its really easy and can be done with Q1 gear. Dont bother with the dungeon location, because once people get into the instance, everyone else is teleported inside (just ask if everybody is ready first). For polaris, it is on the northern exit, near the Orochi base.
    There is a quest outside, which at least one person obtained, so ask them to share it.

The reward is easily better than 5-6 random quests around the city.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazinger-Z View Post
    EA is a co-publisher.
    For physical distribution.

Anyway, back on topic. I find the 'packs' to be a rather misleading, as the perks listed are the same things I'd get buying a 'Digital Deluxe' from any other game, minus the store discount. And the store discount would require spending 600 dollars to make that money back. I get a better deal getting a B&N membership. And then there's an additional 200 dollars for the 'lifetime subscription' of a game that is not even proven.

These are some of the worst practices I've seen in a video game launch. I'm surprised more reporting hasn't been done on these idiotic 'packs.'
    The content of the packs never said it included the game itself, but they didn't make that very clear. Still, it's up to the consumer to make sure they know what they're buying. That's why I didn't do any special packages; I thought they were a little too pricey for what they offered. And if somebody wants to spend that kind of money on a game that isn't proven, that's their prerogative. I'm still mulling over buying the grandmaster pack, since I already got a year's worth of fun out of the beta.

I didn't make it far into the beta, so I'm wondering: how's the group content? Is it challenging and fun? Is there a group finder tool (I know that's always a contentious issue, but to me it's an important thing to have in a game nowadays)?

Quote Originally Posted by captainmurphy View Post
    I didn't make it far into the beta, so I'm wondering: how's the group content? Is it challenging and fun? Is there a group finder tool (I know that's always a contentious issue, but to me it's an important thing to have in a game nowadays)?
    No LFG tool at launch, the dungeons are pretty good and there's a good bit of quest content you probably won't be able to do alone towards the end of the game.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/e...s_on_june_29th

early acess june 29th for those who pre ordered the game. the game will launch july the 3.

going to try it later but for now its summer time for me

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmurphy View Post
    There isn't a group finder tool, but there is a LFG channel. Honestly, I hope they don't implement a group finder tool because the world is too fantastic to miss. And considering how the skill system works, where anyone can play any role, you really don't face the same difficulties in putting together groups. As far as group content, I really enjoyed it. Polaris wasn't too difficult, but for the first dungeon it had interesting mechanics. Hiding from the last boss as he altered reality was a nice surprise, especially once he started shattering the rocks we were hiding behind. And Inferno... it was definitely more challenging. Recursia was an intense fight, and I found myself having to tweak my build a bit to survive it. It's been said before, this really isn't a game that holds your hand.

One thing I love about the game is it's solo instances. There are some neat little solo instances that you go in for certain quests, and they force you into them alone to make you feel isolated. It really adds a bit of creepiness. I don't know how many people did the Bogeyman quest, but that one was definitely weird, and had one of the most challenging solo fights I've played in an MMO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Why not just wait a month or two (so they can iron out the launch bugs), then pick the game up for a run through. If you finish the story in a month then cancel, there is no monthly fee. You basically turn it into a B2P game, and this is exactly what I plan on doing. There were a number of things I really enjoyed about the game, but the combat was not one of them. Once I got to Red's in the Savage Coast combat really started to get monotonous and stale. I'm sure it gets a little more interesting once you have 100+ abilities unlocked, but a game like this should have good, engaging combat from the word go. So for me, it's not worth the monthly fee, but I don't mind a B2P. Then, in 6-12 mos, jump back in to play the newly patched in content, and think of it as DLC. ;p
    This.

This is how I envision myself playing MMOs. Switching between SWTOR, TSW, TERA, WOW, RIFT -- you name it. New patch? Sub a month, go play, unsub, next.

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 11:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    You should have, its really easy and can be done with Q1 gear.
    Really. Wow. I've seen people advertise "Q4/Q5 DPS LFG Polaris" and I was like "damn, I don't have that ilvl" but once I got to savage coast I was like: "wait a second, I was just in an area where Q1/Q2 dropped and they were saying they had Q4/Q5 LFG?!?". I suspected what you've confirmed, and I fucking hate that crap in MMOs: gear makes up for the lack of skill.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    I suspected what you've confirmed, and I fucking hate that crap in MMOs: gear makes up for the lack of skill.
    That's what MMORPGs are all about though... just gotta accept it. Lots of people play MMORPGs *BECAUSE* they have no skill -- but they can make up for it with gear!

I was in the closed beta and got a character all the way to Transylvania (Chaos/Fists if curious), the only reason I stopped playing was that it was getting to the point that if I consumed too much more content I'd have seen it all and having played through Kingsmouth and Egypt three times I felt I had done my share of playtesting and putting in bug and feedback to them.

The game really improves from Egypt on, Egypt was an awesome experience and from what I can tell the later builds only improved things. Combat movement and mob positioning and the general challenge in just questing was excellent.

Currently my financial position is a bit tight but I think if I had the money I'd be getting a lifetime subscription so that I could pop in and out as desired. Without the worry of a subscription. More my style as I do enjoy the variety of multiple games.

Personally I am a little worried about just how much content there is on release, but outside of that the game is fun, is trying a lot of new things and has a decidedly different setting to most MMOs out there. I want it to do well but I have a suspicion it'll end up being a rather niche game with those who do play it loving it - just not a huge amount of them.

Went through 2 full weekends, played both almost nonstop, really loving it so far. If only it had Tera's character models and animations, it'd be a perfect game.
    Didn't try PVP yet, cuz can't stand it, even though once drawn into it consider myself to be a very skilled player, but it makes me go full emo on idiots and yell at them in chats. So was questing and doing dungeons. Dungeons are fun, just about correctly hard, not too much, not too easy. Last bosses awesome fun, but I'd tone down some abilities on Hellfire's last boss, he managed to kill me in every try I've been on him as melee because I simply had no time to avoid some attacks.
    Already bought the game, really hoping I'll get into early start at friday, or I'll be very upset.
    Pros so far:
    - Love modern setting.
    - Nice clothes for different tastes (skimpy, full body, military, casual, plain down weird, whatever).
    - Great monster design.
    - Awesome locations.
    - Often really awesome creepy mood. Great atmosphere overall.
    - Locations look kinda nice graphically.
    Cons:
    - Character models are hideous, despite alot of options (face shape, eyes, lips, nose, different colors and makeup options). Ppl like me who wants their big boobed models will be highly disappointed with those transexual-looking females. Males are ok-ish.
    - Animations terribad. Beyond awful.
    - Game pretty much requires w7 64 if you want to play with everything on max, while still not really looking any special.
    - Same "holy trinity" shit: tank, healer, dps.
    - No LFG tool (big mistake they going to regret later on).
    - If some bitch reserved your name with preorder, he/she gonna have it on all servers.
    - Doesn't seems to be much content but not sure about that one. Kingsmouth+Savage Coast kept me busy for about 3 days and there's Blue Mountain and 2 more big locations with subzones. Probably at least 1 more will be released soon after official launch.
    Last edited by Chronos80; 2012-06-27 at 10:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really. Wow. I've seen people advertise "Q4/Q5 DPS LFG Polaris" and I was like "damn, I don't have that ilvl" but once I got to savage coast I was like: "wait a second, I was just in an area where Q1/Q2 dropped and they were saying they had Q4/Q5 LFG?!?". I suspected what you've confirmed, and I fucking hate that crap in MMOs: gear makes up for the lack of skill.
    He probably only wanted it for the quest, which, if i recall, gives about 150k experience.

- Same "holy trinity" shit: tank, healer, dps.
    This isnt entirelly true. While in essence, yes.
    But you can do some encounters much easier with 2 healers for example, because some healing abilities also go off by dpsing (rifle comes to mind) and can heal a ton if you speced for dpsing but got one or another healing ability.
    Last edited by shadowkras; 2012-06-27 at 12:02 PM.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

I don't get the hate for the trinity. Without it, fight mechanics are pretty weak.

I don't get the hate for the trinity. Without it, fight mechanics are pretty weak.
    Most video games NOT have the holy trinity, and actually work out just fine. Only MMORPGs - for some reason - have it as a crutch of game design.

Ultimately I guess we'll have to see how Guild Wars 2 pulls it off in an MMORPG setting to know for sure... but it's a little premature to imply that the holy trinity is a "requirement" of some kind.

How does healing improve fighting mechanics ... you spam heals 24/7 disregarding most of what's going on. That's pretty weak and is base of the holy trinity.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Most video games NOT have the holy trinity, and actually work out just fine. Only MMORPGs - for some reason - have it as a crutch of game design.

Ultimately I guess we'll have to see how Guild Wars 2 pulls it off in an MMORPG setting to know for sure... but it's a little premature to imply that the holy trinity is a "requirement" of some kind.
    I didn't imply that it was a requirement. And what I've played of GW2, the group play is kind of bleh imo. I like the trinity, but breaks from it now and then (in TSW ran a couple of no-tank dual-healer setups and it was great) are nice.

Deleted
    Right, so TERA and GW2 have weak fight mechanics?

I don't think so. Here is why: in these games it boils down to individual skills and survival. If "Bob" is too dumb to move out of the fire he cannot blame the healer for not healing him. Everyone, including "Bob", know it was him. He cannot claim "lol I wuz unlucky there guise" because the other players also get to tank and dodge the same boss abilities. "Bob", clearly the fifth wheel on the wagon who got carried, won't be invited to runs anymore, and will due to lack of the multiplayer aspect of the game quit "game sux lol". A sub lost, the average quality of play goes up, making the developers design more challenging content for the average player instead. Us above average players win this way, if we stand united in the same game.

Incidentally, if TSW had puzzles instead of riddles, as Tobold suggested on his MMORPG blog, the average intelligence of the player would go up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    That's what MMORPGs are all about though... just gotta accept it. Lots of people play MMORPGs *BECAUSE* they have no skill -- but they can make up for it with gear!
    I like how I can challenge myself being "undergeared" or "underleveled" and then if I cannot finish it I gather some more gear and try again. But this seems to be completely alien way to play MMO to many players. I also liked how I had to read quests in TSW in order to complete them.

Actually, it is like you say, but worse: if they farm their gear and you don't, you don't have chance to compete in PvP due to lack of PvP stat ("resilience" or "expertise") PvE-wise you cannot compete either due to lack of gear (ilvl, QL, whatever it is called). There is hope though: it appears the PvP in GW2 isn't about gear. There is no grind because there is no subscription therefore no need to keep people playing the same content.