Quote Originally Posted by Vexxilus View Post
    Closed beta keys up for grabs:
    MYMDYQXAXJNHLYXFHS2J
    4SELWBSEBKKMDQ6QKLKX
    thanks! I just used the 2nd one

Deleted
    Can't underastand all the ppl whining about "p2p". What, you're so poor you can't afford 15 eu/month on it? Or what, I dunno, couple beers is better than a month of a good game?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrom View Post
    Can't underastand all the ppl whining about "p2p". What, you're so poor you can't afford 15 eu/month on it? Or what, I dunno, couple beers is better than a month of a good game?
    It's not about poverty, its about value-for-money. People don't like feeling taken advantage of by corporations.

People have been screwed so much with MMORPGs that they no loner believe it's actually possible to get $15 worth of content per month from the devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    It's not about poverty, its about value-for-money. People don't like feeling taken advantage of by corporations.

People have been screwed so much with MMORPGs that they no loner believe it's actually possible to get $15 worth of content per month from the devs.
    People have been screwed over by MMORPGs because of their unrealistic expectations. Everyone's always expecting a new game to take them out to dinner somewhere nice and let them order the most expensive thing on the menu, just like WoW did. They forget that it's the first time they went out to eat, and WoW has 8 years of work under its belt to pay with.

A game is what you make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    People have been screwed over by MMORPGs because of their unrealistic expectations. Everyone's always expecting a new game to take them out to dinner somewhere nice and let them order the most expensive thing on the menu, just like WoW did. They forget that it's the first time they went out to eat, and WoW has 8 years of work under its belt to pay with.

People want more from an MMORPG than from a game like Skyrim. Both cost the same money up front... but MMORPGs also charge you per month in exchange for content updates. Problem is, these updates don't actually occur.

If TSW gives me $15 worth of content, I won't complain. But people expect not to receive such updates and so object to paying the monthly fee. I hope TSW pleasantly surprises us. They did say they have the next 7 years of content updates already pre-planned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    That being said, you're exactly right. 80% of the community, even the GW2 community, isn't going to be able to handle that on a regular basis.
    I don't have a problem with that, and neither would ANet because these people already paid for the game. They're also not deprived of "fun" since there is lots of relevant content for them (e.g. lvling). If they're not good enough for certain content and that content isn't copied into all kind of "easy", "normal" and "hardmode" like Blizzard tends to do with WoW and Diablo then it just means they either need to improve or accept they can't beat certain content.

In Blizzard's world we need to first do stuff easy, then normal, and then hard. By the time you start hard you're completely sick of the content, and they don't allow us to skip easy and normal; they force it upon us. It is cheap because of reused artwork, and the grind works in sub based games. Even a computer game as old as Wolfenstein 3D did not force upon us to play all difficulties. The other problem Blizz had in WoW is that raiding is major part of storyline.

With the challenging content if anything we're going to get people who give up after a wipe of 2 with others seeing room for improvement or learning the game. That is totally OK and fits in the casual style of the game. They're also easily replaced due to lack of holy trinity. The lack of a bossmod and dungeon journal will force players to look for themselves for clues about the tactics which provides a puzzle element. Sure, you can Google it up, but there is a difference between having to use Google and having the game warn you about the tactics and having all the abilities in-game available. In short, if you're good player people will add you to their friend list to play with again.

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    But this mentality is so ingrained into players, that I suspect many will NOT like GW2 BG/warzone PVP because there is no character progression. If you as a player suck at GW2 PVP... and you've reached your own skill cap... then there is NOTHING you can do to make up for it! You will forever suck at the game! And that's going to be a HUGE turn-off to players who've overcompensated for shitty skills with good gear in their current MMORPGs of choice.
    Perhaps, but they can train to become better. Anyone can. Sure, they may never become the best player, but if they want to improve they can. And nobody can outgear them either! For someone like me who has played the grind game tons of times it means I can just w/o caring if I use my sub simply go PvP completely when I want without having to worry about my gear. I really think I'm not going to be the only in this regard; GW2 is very casual friendly. One could even play it side by side a sub-based game like WoW or TSW w/o wasting money on additional sub.

In WoW and SWTOR the conundrum goes like this: you want to casually PvP but you don't have PvP gear. You'll completely suck, the crafted set will make you suck slightly less. Then you need to farm the content to get gear making you slightly better. Once you're done with that you lost the purpose to play the content. You can say: you can still play the game and you'll have best gear but you know you're beating people who are playing that content because they don't have that good gear yet. You also, before that, had the purpose to always grind that gear which purpose is then gone. In a game w/o the gear grind you cannot fall for this trap, and your purpose will always be to perform and only that on an equal playing field. To be fair, there is still stuff like vchat, maybe some premade (realm-made?) but the gear is irrelevant and that is a big showstopper for the casual player.

TL;DR the no lifer in WoW will have gear + experience, in GW2 would have only experience. The casual can catch up gaining experience or using their dexterity and intelligence to become better just like the no lifer did.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    This is quite weird to me. Which quests do you have in mind? Investigation only? Because all the other quests I have seen were about following markers on map. Most of the time when starting the mission NPCs were talking about completely unrelated philosophical crap, and you had to read instructions in mission tracker to know what to do. If that's what you meant by having to read then I agree.
    Haven't tried investigation quests. Following may contain minor spoilers. If I remember the lore was all optional but sometimes I really had to read what to do!! I remember that on the airport I was instead of taking the front entrance I was trying to move through some kind of sewer but then I couldn't pass a fence and I'd get detected. I also remember the one with the raven's (not gonna spoil it) where I did not know what to do at start. In certain quests I picked up a note which wouldn't disappear. I never understood this put an item in my bags with valuable tips. Protip: if you're stuck, read the quests, and check your items in bag.

I'm going to play TSW casually, and mostly for the lore, reading the quests. I don't plan on lvling an alt. So I will read all the quests.

---------- Post added 2012-06-28 at 09:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    I was a little disappointed that the game was so waypoint heavy. It would be fantastic if they'd give an option to turn it off. I was sort of hoping I had to keep track of locations outside the game but I can understand why they didn't go that route. Far too many players need and demand them, and they're really only interesting, new, and unexpected the first play through anyway. Some quests didn't have any, and they were still simple enough to figure out - but the number of people asking for help with them made it pretty clear that even those were too hard for a lot of people.
    (I agree on the lore and I've also experienced bugs but we gotta see how live will be.)

Waypoint heavy sure, any game is going to be a disappointment after GW2. The seemingless accepting and liberal way of playing quests or leaving them as-is, the progress bar, the teaming up with other players beats any other MMO where one must run to quest giver and running back, tagging of mobs, and competing, with cumbersome way of joining quest.

I think what turned me off most was that I'd occasionally crash to desktop and the game's error info suggested I switch to Windows 7 64bit. I use Windows 7 32bit. Seriously? I'm well withing recommended specs, but the game tore through my memory and vid card like they were nothing. I could probably do with a vid card upgrade (though mine is a bit above recommended), but an OS for a game that wasn't quite "there" yet? I don't think so.
    Probably 4 GB limit and memory leak. Might be a SWTOR they're pulling.

I can completely understand people who feel reluctant and prefer F2P. Personally, I think the GW2 pricing model is ideal with people paying for expansions. You know what you pay for that way; you don't with a sub. You also don't have the "stress" to play while the developer doesn't have the obligation to make you stay to play grind.

The memory leak has supposedly been fixed.

So the main page is down already. Nice going

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    So the main page is down already. Nice going
    Its part of the plot! Its a whodunnit:

1) Illuminati
    2) Templar
    3) Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Its part of the plot! Its a whodunnit:

1) Illuminati
    2) Templar
    3) Dragon
    Well my boys didn't do it so Templars are out of the question. Unless it's a plot inside a plot! Ohh man this is good.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter "whodunnit" because in the end, the Illuminati allowed it to happen.

A game is what game devs make.

If game is not fun then we don't play.
    If MMO is not fun enough to warrant me xxx (for me xxx would be 30) hours of fun per month, then it's not worth for me to pay those 15$. Especially if I'm not interested in the end-game or the social aspect.
    Before you ask "why do you play MMOs if you are not interested in playing with others" - unfortunatelly, somehow only MMOs are created with big worlds and complex mechanics.

Don't you think it's a bit funny to expect players to change their attitude towards games, instead of expecting devs to make fun games and fulfil their promises?

If game devs don't advertise their products like 8th wonder of the world then there would be no unrealistic expectations. Like what I read in newsletter from funcom:
    Experience the revolution in MMO gaming!
    A storyline unlike anything seen in an MMO by the creator of The Longest Journey
    Find out what the gaming press and MMO community is raving about as the doors to the next generation of massive multiplayer online gaming opens!
    Sorry, but if any dev is bold enough to throw such statements at me, he better be prepared for those "unrealistic expectations". I'd rather call it "unrealistic promises".
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Woot! From the beta ... er um ... Testlive forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    Hi all,

Until yesterday, the hottest topic on these boards was character creation and character customisation. It's something we've been getting a lot of questions and comments about, and we've answered that we have plans to expand upon this post-launch.

Today, I'd like to share some of those plans with you. Keep in mind that we just started working on these features, and they may change. Our tentative delivery date may also change -- it's the nature of game development -- but we wanted to share some target dates with you, so that you have something concrete to look forward to.

With that out of the way, let's get started:

PLASTIC SURGERY, OR THE MODERN PROMETHEUS

In a nondescript building in Brooklyn, a high-tech facility contains the weird science of Dr. Aldini -- a pioneer in paraplastic surgery: a method to shape living flesh into any form. For the right price. (Cue maniacal laughter.)

Players will be able to visit The Modern Prometheus to get a TOTAL makeover. From head to, well, head. Whatever you want: a new nose, a tweaked chin, a nip and a tuck to the eyes or the hairline, removing or adding some wrinkles or freckles -- you can adjust your appearance or you can become a whole new person. The only thing you CAN'T do under Dr. Aldini's assortment of distressingly rusty knives is change gender...although the good doctor is working on some experimental concoctions for that particular 'problem' as well.

At Dr. Aldini, the first 'consultation' is always free, but anything after that is going to cost -- and the doctor prefers PAX. Where he buys his arcane supplies, the U.S. dollar holds little sway.

To support The Modern Prometheus in its gross 'science', we will be adding a lot of new base heads and nose, eye, chin and mouth modifications to choose from. There will be more variety across the board, more opportunities to look unique, more choices to make before you give the thumbs up to Aldini and his depraved assistants.

"Close your eyes, sweet. This WILL hurt."

OCKHAM'S RAZOR

Situated on the border between Ealdwic and Darkside, this ancient London establishment is known for its skill and dedication to the fine craft of shearing, shaving, cropping and, well, replacing heads of hair. And, also, unfortunately, the occasional head. (No money back.)

The ageing triplets Ockham who operate this venerable establishment can offer anything from a simple dye job -- perhaps it's time to wash out that neon red colour, seeing as you're moving up in the Illuminati ranks -- to that most miraculous of haircuts: the Reversal, where your Templars-issue crew cut transforms into flowing, curly locks. The bald can finally feel the wind blowing through their hair; the shaggy can finally stop blow-drying every morning.

As with The Modern Prometheus, the first visit is gratis, but the triplets are in the business of doing business, and PAX is their aphrodisiac. To look fashionable, and to sport the latest in couture you'll need to earn some coins from your secret society before sitting down in that chair.

Ockham's Razor will receive a variety of new hair styles and eyebrow shapes to choose from, in all the colours of the rainbow. Men will also find a fresh assortment of facial hair, from the friendly muttonchops to new and exciting varieties of the trusted soul patch -- and some really EPIC moustaches. Yes, now you too can sport the Magnum P.I. and have ALL the ladies.

Finally, there is:

EXECUTION

which is relocating from its grubby London locales to fresh new digs in Seoul, and can offer an extensive and pleasurably painful variety of tattoos, scars and other body modifications.

Want your own personal Book of Blood? Done. But more on the Hellraiseresque activities of Execution's fine artisans at a later point.

So when is all this coming?

Our current target for The Modern Prometheus and Ockham's Razor is the end of August -- Execution is a bit further down the line. We'll be working hard to deliver on that, although since we also want to offer as much quality and variety as possible, the delivery date might change. We'll keep you updated as we go along, and we'll offer a preview and some screenshots and videos when the time is right. You'll also see some construction activities in London, New York and Seoul as we start building these locations. And as with everything in The Secret World, there will be stories to go with it...

We have always planned on offering further character customisation down the line, and since The Secret World encourages sticking with one character for a very long time, we didn't want players to feel 'stuck' with how their avatars look. In light of recent discussions about character creation, however, we decided to prioritise and push these features into development a lot sooner -- which benefits all of you. And me. Since I REALLY want the Magnum P.I.

Feel free to discuss these features and to offer your comments and ideas in this thread. We are, as always, listening, and though we cannot fulfil all wishes, we can at least hear what you guys think, and take that into account.

Have fun playing tomorrow, and I'll see you in game!

Cheers,
    Ragnar

A game is what game devs make.

If game is not fun then we don't play.
    If MMO is not fun enough to warrant me xxx (for me xxx would be 30) hours of fun per month, then it's not worth for me to pay those 15$. Especially if I'm not interested in the end-game or the social aspect.
    Before you ask "why do you play MMOs if you are not interested in playing with others" - unfortunatelly, somehow only MMOs are created with big worlds and complex mechanics.

Don't you think it's a bit funny to expect players to change their attitude towards games, instead of expecting devs to make fun games and fulfil their promises?

If game devs don't advertise their products like 8th wonder of the world then there would be no unrealistic expectations. Like what I read in newsletter from funcom:

Sorry, but if any dev is bold enough to throw such statements at me, he better be prepared for those "unrealistic expectations". I'd rather call it "unrealistic promises".
    Your perception and opinions don't speak for everyone, hence "what you make of it." We get it, you love to hate and hate to love TSW.

Your perception and opinions don't speak for everyone, hence "what you make of it." We get it, you love to hate and hate to love TSW.
    No, you don't get it. I don't hate the game (well, maybe a bit, since it apparently stopped Ragnar from continuing TLJ, after leaving it all hanging after Dreamfall). If there's anything I hate then it's game devs who have no problem advertising their product with every possible way, no matter how far away from truth it is. And where did I say that my opinions speak for everyone?

But if personal remarks is all you have left then I guess there is nothing to discuss at this point.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Deleted
    How about both are wrong, and the truth lies somewhere in the middle?

I find your example a bit childish. Duh, of course that contains marketing speech. We know that, and we also know that when we read statements by other games (including the ones you hold dear). They're kinda like.. trying to sell the game? And it is a very biased statement. Just like the SGS3 is best smartphone would also be biased statement.

If players have preconceived notion of game (such as thief = blade = conceal op = rogue) while the game isn't trying to copy another game (say WoW rogue) but has some overlap then who is in the wrong? If you think the player, bzzzt. The answer isn't that simple, but more important than the answer to that question is why do we have this problem and how can we solve it? This question lies in the responsibility of the developer, but I wouldn't call it an easy nut to crack. You can't simply put all responsibility of how gamers see an aspect of a game in the shoes of the developers of a game. Well, yeah, you can do that, but it isn't a fair, unbiased viewpoint.

PS: I want to log in to reserve my bloody name.

No, you don't get it. I don't hate the game (well, maybe a bit, since it apparently stopped Ragnar from continuing TLJ, after leaving it all hanging after Dreamfall). If there's anything I hate then it's game devs who have no problem advertising their product with every possible way, no matter how far away from truth it is. And where did I say that my opinions speak for everyone?

But if personal remarks is all you have left then I guess there is nothing to discuss at this point.
    That wasn't a personal attack. The first sentence is fact, the second is a guess based on how you have very little positive to say about the game. But you're right, I shouldn't resort to personal remarks.

It's presumptive of me to say you hate/love/whatever TSW, but you did sort of blow things they say out of proportion, like what you said about their advertising, for example. You can be anything you want, the results aren't guaranteed to work out well though. But you know what? I see people in WoW all the time wearing the wrong gear all the time (as in DKs in mail, etc.). I have yet to see anything advertised that wasn't true; you interpreted their marketing as 8th wonder, I interpreted it as selling the strong points. Do you have anything negative to say about ArenaNet heralding GW2 as the "reinvention of the MMO?" If that's not 8th wonder marketing, then I don't know what is.

When you buy a game or sub to a game, you know what you're paying for. It's like going to the store to buy a box of Cap'n Crunch. Just because you drop $4 on it doesn't mean you're entitled to the best cereal $4 can buy. You get what you buy, not what you pay for (to turn an awkward phrase that probably makes no sense). If you sub to a game and you don't like it, stop subbing. Just because you want to sub but you don't think it's worth it, that doesn't mean you're entitled to improvements or anything like that. If you think somethings worth it, then sub. If not, oh well, nobody is going to like everything. (The "you" in this part isn't referring to anyone in particular.)

The responsibility to make a good game falls on the developer, no doubt. The problem with that is "good" is subjective to the audience. If a game isn't fun, then you shouldn't force yourself to play it. If you do have fun but let a bunch of nit-picky stuff drag your experience down, then that's the gamer's fault. Overlooking the bad in a otherwise fun game goes a long way; just look at WoW. Tons of shit wrong with that game, yet people play it religiously and enjoy it.

So ... today I should be able to start playing I assume ?

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    So ... today I should be able to start playing I assume ?
    Maybe. That depends on the sever load and the date of your purchase I think. The lack of info about early access is kind of strange though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    Maybe. That depends on the sever load and the date of your purchase I think. The lack of info about early access is kind of strange though.
    The client states If you finished updating your client and are able to see this message, then you are ready for early access ... I haven't finished patching yet; 2gb patch downloading. We will see.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.