Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Athene talking about his University of Gaming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtzlNRzt7a8

Athene was on "Goedele op Dinsdag" on Belgian TV last week to talk about gaming in general and the University of Gaming, which he is creating together with Reese
    Click on the time link in the description to skip to the interesting parts (English subs included).

What do you guys think?

If the thread is about Athene, no matter the subject, the message, the content or in fact anything, will be flooded and destroyed by the jelly haters. The last one was locked before it even reached end of first page for this reason. :|
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you go into a profession about gaming...?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstarr View Post
    Why not? ><

Deleted
    Whats so special about this guy? What has he done with his life?

Deleted
    When you are good in gaming, you actually accomplish something in your life, seeing as you can get sponsorship and even be famous!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eightace View Post
    nothing, he's just a good gamer who wants to turn his hobby into his profession, good for him if it works

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    If the thread is about Athene, no matter the subject, the message, the content or in fact anything, will be flooded and destroyed by the jelly haters. The last one was locked before it even reached end of first page for this reason. :|
    I think I know which one in the video was Athene but why do people hate him? Also what does he do, is he famous for something?

If we're talking about gaming addiction, I think that it's really sad (in a sympathetic way) that people can get in a state where they become addicted to a game. I would like to think that there are help for these people but I don't think a gaming addiction is widely recognised. I don't think a gaming addiction is no where near as bad as a drug addiction but having an obsession over a video game can't be healthy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    nothing, he's just a good gamer who wants to turn his hobby into his profession, good for him if it works
    If he is happy, then good luck to him in that case.

Deleted
    Just a little boy who thinks he is important because he plays Video games

Quote Originally Posted by Prozac View Post
    When you are good in gaming, you actually accomplish something in your life, seeing as you can get sponsorship and even be famous!
    For the short-term you might be ok,But nothing long-term, Maybe some of the SC2 players might be doing well, But it's very short-lived career choice imo and having some back up would be a good idea, The SC2 players put hours and hours into their game play, they must hate the game by now ;-)
    Last edited by mmoc411c38c086; 2011-06-10 at 11:56 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sant View Post
    Just a little boy that thinks he is important because he plays Video games

For the short term you might be ok,But nothing long term, Maybe some of the SC2 players might be doing well, But its very short lived career choice imo and having some back up would be a good idea
    Good for him if he makes a living from something he enjoys, even if it is just short term.

15+ Year Old Account
    So he will do what? Have to say it sounds alot like a scam deal to me, or at least a waste of time - but w/e as long as we (aka I ) don´t have to be fed by what he says.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    I think I know which one in the video was Athene but why do people hate him? Also what does he do, is he famous for something?
    A "brief" history on Athene.

It started out as a prank by some PvP competitor of his, when he made a post into the forums of the realm they played, acting out as a really tuff/elitist prick.

Athene then responded to it, through a Youtube video where he acted out in the way the original post implied and the video of the "best paladin in the world" kind of caught fire and got popular, after which they started making more of them.

For his record have to be said that he also made plenty of WoW related "achievements" to back up his acted out arrogance and elitism (and I truly wish to push out the word ACTED, Chiren, the guy behind is really nice fella). As example, he made the record of the fastest leveler 1-70 before the xp nerfs and he also ranked 1st in 2vs2 and 3vs3 to which people are quick to harp that he was carried.

In Wrath, he hit level 80 first aswell in just few hours, but was banned due to "cheating" even though the way he made it was confirmed to be legit by CM's in WoW forums before doing so.
    After Wrath he p. much had quit WoW related things even though he returned briefly to become the first one to hit 85.

Other things he is known of is the iPower project him and his crew has, that pushed the net neutrality thing into the eyes of the more wide audience and while not being the major player, was effecting the outcome of the vote in European parliament due to the calls for the representatives of the each country that could affect the vote.

Later he got really big into poker and made some sort of "most games played at once" record aswell, even though at the time I didn't really follow him that much. Apparently he made fair bit of cash out of it, which can be seen through the constantly upgraded tech in his videos. He also got to see the CEO of the one of the largest online poker companies when he was at that, and participiated some live competitions over seas in US.

Then he went for Starcraft 2 and fought himself to be first of the Diamond(whatever is the highest) league in few weeks, with p. much best win/loss ratio out there. He also made a record of killing them insane AI opponents, first two, he was beaten by that other SC2 celeb, and after that 4 of the AI's.

Now he's playing LoL and aiming to create his own class (requires 10 000 recommendations).

He's also got into science somehow with his God is in the Neurons project, but of that I'm not so much interested.

It's the arrogance and elitism of his character that usually makes the people truly hate him but they always tend to forget that it's what they aimed for with the whole best player of the world thing.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2011-06-10 at 12:47 PM.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    man i hate goedele! can't stand that woman !

10+ Year Old Account
    Athene just was interviewed about gamers playing a lot, he didn't even self-promote, didn't troll, he just shared his knowledge about gaming with random bad talkshow, on the subject of addiction to games.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstarr View Post
    how do you think game designers and testers get there jobs?

Deleted
    He thinks he is the best troll on the internet, when the simple truth is, that he's just one of many. Insignifigant and uninteresting.

University of Gaming? Wake the fuck up.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    He thinks he is the best troll on the internet, when the simple truth is, that he's just one of many. Insignifigant and uninteresting.

It's the arrogance and elitism of his character that usually makes the people truly hate him but they always tend to forget that it's what they aimed for with the whole best player of the world thing.
    Yeah, you fell into a trap.

Athene understands the Internet as Theater. Most of his videos are no more than him playing a character to incite and entertain (which he does very well, BTW.)

And as someone already posted, he does know how to game as he holds several world firsts in WoW and other games.

Hey, its not a cure for cancer. But then, that is not why you surf the net, now is it?