Thread: Water Cooling

Water Cooling

So I'm thinking of switching to water cooling for my entire system, what all would I need?

I think my specs by the time I invest in this will be

Phenom II x4 965 OCed to 4ghz (or a AM3+ cpu if I have the money to invest in one)
    A high end AM3+ motherboard (these should be coming out in about a week or two
    2 6870 crossfired
    4-8g 1600 DDR3 ram

Current Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-153-_-Product
    CPU: Intel I5-3570k 4.7ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Ram: G-Skill 8GB 1333
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB PSU: Corsair CX850M Case: Corsair 750D

First question is why do you want to WC? It's not something you just "upgrade" to after Air. The only "exception" is if you use something like the Corsair H50/H70 etc. Which is borderline Air/Water in what it does, maintenance, etc.

Second is, if you REALLY want to do it properly, get to places like overclockers.com xtremesystems.org and others, find the WC forums, find the stickies and read. Read the articles on skinneelabs.com and martinsliquidlab.i4memory.com.

The reason behind this is because someone who doesn't do their research and figure out what they really need, often times ends up getting a substandard system, or getting crud in the lines with no clue why, or other things. It also requires 6mo/1yr maintenance/teardowns.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

My current Set up has my gpu running quite a bit higher then I like it to, and if I get a 2nd one its just going to get worse, my cpu is actually running amazingly well hit a max of 49c with 4ghz, but when I upgrade either to a I7 2600k or to a new AM3+ cpu I plan on putting a rather decent OC on it. I understand theres a lot to water cooling, one of the main reason I'm asking questions not just here but on my guild forums and a couple computer forums I browse.

Well let me put it this way. When I asked questions on overclockers.com, I got told to go read.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

Well reading into a bit more, looks like I'm going to have to invest in a new Case in order to hold the radiator I would need. Unless I did some tricky things.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Now ispano, i understand there are better sites for this, but i'd like to think we can at least help OmegaV build a semidecent loop. For the basics, Delta T and such isn't as crucial. Yes, there's optimal values, and a lot to consider for the more "strict" loops, but for basic cooling, it's not so much an issue.

First of all, let's start with the basics. From what i've worked out, for that system, you'll want at least 500W of heat output on a radiator. Not to worry since most 240mm radiators should provide more than enough for this assuming you use decent fans. I've worked out that you'll need roughly 90CFM per fan, which is a massive amount. For this reason, i'd advise you to use 2 120mm radiators -- one after the CPU block, and one after the graphics cards. A better option would be to use a 120 radiator after the CPU, and a 240 radiator after the graphics cards. This will allow you to use much quieter fans with lower CFM, somewhere in the region of 60CFM or so (fairly modest), and would prevent the heat on the second card from becoming overwhelming.

From the case you listed, you could mount the radiator on the side panel, but this is advised against for obvious reasons. Watercooling the RAM isn't required and isn't really something anyone does these days. It's just a waste when a gentle breeze over the RAM is enough.

I'll put you a list together, but you'll need to research the components themselves, and check compatibility from the descriptions;
    - 2 ATI 6850 Waterblocks
    - 1 AM3 CPU Waterblock
    - 1 Water Pump (a professional pump for watercooling a PC)
    - 1 Reservoir (Many out there, drive bay is the best for starting if you're new to it)
    - 10-14 Compression fittings with a G 1/4" thread, and a preferable inner diameter of 13mm, and an outer diameter of 16mm
    - 5-6 Metres of hose with the same dimensions as your connectors
    - 3-4 Litres of Deionised Distilled Water (MUST be deionised and distilled, do NOT EVER use tap water)
    - A biocide such as PTNuke

When it comes to tubing, water, and fittings, it's always handy to order a few more than you'll need. Sometimes you get faulty connectors or something goes wrong, so it helps to keep some spare. Likewise, ordering extra tubing allows you some headroom. There are a few things that might make your like easier, but would only apply if using certain blocks on the graphics cards.

Be warned, Watercooling can become expensive. It's also not as simple as fitting a block and then calling it a day. It takes constant monitoring and maintenance at least at the start. If it leaks when you're using the system, it's very likely to take your system with it.

I do strongly advise you to research things such as tubing diameters and understand it. It's the first thing you'll meet that might confuse you.

For starters, only look at compression fittings. You don't need to look at barbs, as they're for more advanced users and something that are much easier to make mistakes with.

The easiest option? Order a premade kit and then build up from there. You'll teach yourself as you go along.

I have to question, why are you going for AM3, over Sandybridge? SB is infinitely better. I won't go into your choices here, but say i advise against going with an AM3 build right now. We'll be seeing new tech releasing in a few days/weeks, so i strongly advise you to wait a while.
    Sorry, I have to agree with what I was taught. You have to go learn it yourself, once you have the knowledge down to figure out what you want, THEN ask for opinions and such. In fact many of the people I see on the better forums, hell you've seen this too, won't hand hold you, they'll tell you to go read and learn.

If you want to truly water cool, you need to learn it. It's not slap it in, tighten some things, fill it with water and go.

EDIT: I felt this way BEFORE learning what I know.

I definitely do a lot of my own research by the way, my first build was based soley on me researching. Anyways AM3 was mainly based on the idea that I would with in the next 2-3 months switch over to a AM3+ cpu but this also based on whether or not the new AMD cpu or worth it or not, otherwise I might just wait till Ivy Bridges or pick up a SB cpu and motherboard.

I'm thinking of getting a Corsair 800D now for a case but besides the case what are good brands for Water Cooling? And are there any I should absolutely avoid?

*shrug* They see people come in ALL the time without doing anything, without reading anything. And they usually still tell you where to the information needed. Maybe they feel that due to the more in depth nature of a proper WC loop, they want people to actually learn all the things you need to know prior to doing anything. It's not one of those things that you can pick up a few bits of info here and there and make it work, it's likely the system won't do what you had hoped. It's not really for the "I just want it to work" crowd.

"the last thing they want is to be getting told that they've not researched correctly" What? The last thing I would want to be told is that it's fine, when it's not. I'd rather be told i'm doing something wrong and to fix, than to be hand held, or lied to, or have something sugar coated. Thick Skin, not everyone is out to eat you, and sometimes an approach that seems negative is actually a better way. as an example, something i've noticed, and it only works on certain types of people. You try to teach them something, and they don't seem to get it. You use a helpful, nioce approach, then you try a more "You're doing it fing wrong" approach. They'll get upset for sure, but in my experience they tend to actually remember what you told them when they remember getting upset.