Poll: Dwarf

Page 87 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Both Men and Dwarves have been causing a lot of shit for them though (Most famously Isildur I guess!) and surely Elrond, Arwen and Galadriel has to count for something!
    They are different types of elves though.

Lets put it this way, Wood elves are douche bags.

...though to be fair Elrond seemed just a wee bit more assholish than in lotr.

Quote Originally Posted by Throren View Post
    They are different types of elves though.

Lets put it this way, Wood elves are douche bags.

...though to be fair Elrond seemed just a wee bit more assholish than in lotr.
    Honestly, dwarves and elves mix badly. Especially in peace time, where they got nothing else to target their hate with, and even more so when the dwarves are bitter that they've lost Erebor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Honestly, dwarves and elves mix badly. Especially in peace time, where they got nothing else to target their hate with, and even more so when the dwarves are bitter that they've lost Erebor.
    And Khazad-dûm, and Mt. Gundabad. The dwarves have lost a lot of their kingdoms and a lot of their kin slain. Nobody even bothered to help the dwarves out, all hate against mirkwood elves is justified. Got nothing against Elrond though.

Balin, Óin, Ori, and other dwarves ventured into Khazad-dûm some time after Erebor was reclaimed, they killed a lot of orcs, and eventually Gandalf, in TA 3019 destroyed the Balrog. The batlle of Azanulbizar also killed lots of the scum. With most orcs dead, and the BaIrog gone, it made reclaiming Moria much easier. Durin the Last eventually reclaimed it, but as usual, no help at all from the other races.

- - - Updated - - -

We also got to see the ingenuity of dwarves, which is always nice. A giant golden dwarf statue? I was in awe.
    I was in awe too. And so was Smaug, when he looked upon that statue.

My mouth fell wide open when the forges were set on fire, and (not sure if I remember it correctly) there was also a part where there were giant dwarven heads made out of solid rock, had their mouths open, and beneath those mouths, massive waterwheels. It's been a few days already, and if I remember correctly, Bilbo used a lever, and the water started to flow.

The amazing craftsmanship of the dwarves continues to amaze me.
    "The sword is mightier than the pen, and considerably easier to kill with."

Deleted
    Just saw the movie. Never read any of the books but....dat cliffhanger though...man.

Here is my review on the movie,

"After seeing the Desolation of Smaug I came up with one thing, the entire movie seemed like what would happen if you let Zach Snyder get his hands on a Middle Earth movie. The Desolation of Smaug is an overbloated action piece that only exists to give Jackson a giant CGI toybox that he can use to make another mountain of cash off of. The Jackson who once had respect for the source material, who cared about the characters and how to develop them, and who tried fervently to create the best film possible is no more, he is now washed in his own corrupt, greedy, ego feeding only off of the new Hollywood blockbuster trend of, "Bigger is better"....."

Read the rest at
    http://thepandaflicksreviews.blogspo...ug-review.html

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just watched the Desolation of Smaug, had a couple questions. Forgive me if they have been already answered in this thread, but I didn't read trying to avoid any potential spoilers. After the first movie, I was under the impression that the goal of Thorin's quest was to ultimately take back Erebor, they did not know for sure if Smaug was even still alive, but if he was they were to slay him and recapture their home. They did not talk much about the arkenstone. Now after watching this, was the arkenstone Thorin's true goal the whole time? Was his plan to recapture the arkenstone, so that he could be a true king in the eyes of the dwarves, but start a new home somewhere else? Thorin's lack of care for Bilbo's life, to the point where he had his sword at his chest, was this because of his greed for the arkenstone, or his lust to be King under the mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Just watched the Desolation of Smaug, had a couple questions. Forgive me if they have been already answered in this thread, but I didn't read trying to avoid any potential spoilers. After the first movie, I was under the impression that the goal of Thorin's quest was to ultimately take back Erebor, they did not know for sure if Smaug was even still alive, but if he was they were to slay him and recapture their home. They did not talk much about the arkenstone. Now after watching this, was the arkenstone Thorin's true goal the whole time? Was his plan to recapture the arkenstone, so that he could be a true king in the eyes of the dwarves, but start a new home somewhere else? Thorin's lack of care for Bilbo's life, to the point where he had his sword at his chest, was this because of his greed for the arkenstone, or his lust to be King under the mountain?
    Yes, No he wanted to be King under the mountain, They both correlate together.

The book is much different from the movie though, and not really in a good way. (By this I mean the movie did not change for the better)

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i laughed out loud when tauriel was healing kili. the way she was rocking back and forth while speaking that elvish, i thought kili was about to have an orgasm.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Here is my review on the movie,

"After seeing the Desolation of Smaug I came up with one thing, the entire movie seemed like what would happen if you let Zach Snyder get his hands on a Middle Earth movie. The Desolation of Smaug is an overbloated action piece that only exists to give Jackson a giant CGI toybox that he can use to make another mountain of cash off of. The Jackson who once had respect for the source material, who cared about the characters and how to develop them, and who tried fervently to create the best film possible is no more, he is now washed in his own corrupt, greedy, ego feeding only off of the new Hollywood blockbuster trend of, "Bigger is better"....."

Read the rest at
    http://thepandaflicksreviews.blogspo...ug-review.html
    Well, aside from the Tauriel/Kili thing which was just awkward and unnecessary, I don't really agree with anything here.

Also the worship of the source material is getting tiring, The Hobbit is a CHILDREN's BOOK with very minimal actual quality writing, and also I'd hate to rub it in anyone's face but Tolkien was great at creating a mythology on a macro level but he is not exactly a great writer on a micro-level, and that is true for LotR as well (in fact, I'd say probably the Silmarillion is his best work because it is like a "Bible" of Middle-Earth as opposed to a coherent story), so I don't really see how the film could butcher his book where there was very little to butcher anyways. There is not exactly much character development in the book, aside from Bilbo and Thorin which both happens here (Bilbo gets more ballsy and starts to fall under the ring's influence, while Thorin gets overrun with greed and a lust for power).
    I especially liked two additions that weren't in the book, namely Gandalf's duel with The Necromancer/Sauron, which was spectacular and Sauron's abstractness was really well done and how the dwarves tried to kill Smaug in Erebor. That was a needed scene that was very crafty and well-made and way better than Smaug getting pissed into leaving the mountain because Bilbo stole something of minimal value.

Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    Well, aside from the Tauriel/Kili thing which was just awkward and unnecessary, I don't really agree with anything here.

Also the worship of the source material is getting tiring, The Hobbit is a CHILDREN's BOOK with very minimal actual quality writing, and also I'd hate to rub it in anyone's face but Tolkien was great at creating a mythology on a macro level but he is not exactly a great writer on a micro-level, and that is true for LotR as well (in fact, I'd say probably the Silmarillion is his best work because it is like a "Bible" of Middle-Earth as opposed to a coherent story), so I don't really see how the film could butcher his book where there was very little to butcher anyways. There is not exactly much character development in the book, aside from Bilbo and Thorin which both happens here (Bilbo gets more ballsy and starts to fall under the ring's influence, while Thorin gets overrun with greed and a lust for power).
    I especially liked two additions that weren't in the book, namely Gandalf's duel with The Necromancer/Sauron, which was spectacular and Sauron's abstractness was really well done and how the dwarves tried to kill Smaug in Erebor. That was a needed scene that was very crafty and well-made and way better than Smaug getting pissed into leaving the mountain because Bilbo stole something of minimal value.
    The Hobbit is incredibly brief about the stuff that happens. I sometimes suspect people are more up in arms about the Hobbit because they've actually read The Hobbit, but never read LOTR much. I didn't think DOS was long at all, it felt very quick and there was always something happening. As some have mentioned, the start was actually too short about Beorn and spiders/Mirkwood, and if they had given me a break to get new popcorn and soda, I would have watched TABA right there and then.

Watched it this thursday on 3d+HFR.
    I pre-ordered the tickets 8 days in advance for the best seats for me and my 3 best friends... we were expecting this for ages.. and we were not disappointed! great experience!
    Planning to watch it again soon!

Deleted
    How big is Dol Guldur compared to for instance Helm's deep? Because we see legions of orcs in dol guldur and it doesnt seem that big (but it might be), so really how big is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascendor View Post
    How big is Dol Guldur compared to for instance Helm's deep? Because we see legions of orcs in dol guldur and it doesnt seem that big (but it might be), so really how big is it?
    It's pretty big, but it does look deceptively small sometimes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tbh for the next part ill just go IMAX HFR and skip 3d because it wasnt that special
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Quote Originally Posted by Endonyx View Post
    Tbh for the next part ill just go IMAX HFR and skip 3d because it wasnt that special
    You can get HFR without 3D in Amsterdam?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Yeah, I already didn't like the elves in the LOTR trilogy, but The Hobbit make them appear even worse! There really are no redeeming qualities to them imo. Acting all high and mighty but refusing to aid anyone. Bunch of arrogant pricks. And then when Middle Earth needs them most they are leaving? Yeah, truly classy.
    Elves are fading, their time on middle earth is coming to an end. Their decision to not help anyone is like a strict father leaving the children (the race of men that will inherit the world they are leaving) solve their own mess so they can learn. On top of that they are kinda douches too

elves have always been stuck up, that's their purpose in the LOTR universe

you can't really get a good idea of how big Dol guldur is because there hasn't been a good shot of it so far in the movies. even in the first hobbit you only see the bridge and a small part when Radagast is fighting the Witch-king of Angmar

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    It's pretty well spelled out in the Bree flashback scene. Thorin wants his kingdom back, but the dwarf clans owe their loyalty to the one who holds the Arkenstone. Without it, they won't fight for him. The plan is to sneak into Erebor, steal back the Arkenstone, then gather an army to take the mountain by force.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can get HFR without 3D in Amsterdam?
    After checking i see that you cant go HFR without 3D >< in amsterdam.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Deleted
    It's pretty big, but it does look deceptively small sometimes.
    Well yeah, but how big is it compared to for instance Helm's deep? Bigger? Smaller? If that's mentioned anywhere