Quote Originally Posted by frozenkex View Post
    And there lies another problem - the game goes like this :
    "Oh another dragon *yawn*, hurptidoo"

"OH shi- its the Bandit Chief! RUUUUUN!"

You dont really have to cheese to become overpowered. And its not even cheese either, the possibilities you can do to make yourself better in game are so obvious, like no brainer, i still expected to get challenge, instead everything became trivial.
    And yes its Bethesda's fault that everything can be cheesed. Why would making iron daggers provide same skill increase as daedric daggers. And why would enchanting with petty gems provide same skill increase as enchanting with grand gems. And weapons scale into infinity...
    lets use our common sense about this one.

dragons are part of the main questline right?

if they made them like giants or bears where they are really hard to kill, then your average halo xbox 14yr would not get past 1/4 of the game, thus making the game a huge fail. dragons are 'easy' so the average player can complete the game.

you have to consider the fact that not everyone is so intune with games...for a lack of a better word, they are noobs.

if they made them like giants or bears where they are really hard to kill, then your average halo xbox 14yr would not get past 1/4 of the game, thus making the game a huge fail. dragons are 'easy' so the average player can complete the game.
    Most dragons are not part of the main quest at all, then there are dragons who attack cities, in which case dragon focuses often on npcs and city guard helps out.
    Most dragons who are not random are guarding words of power, which are not part of the main quest and you have to go out of your way to get them. They couldve been difficult, but they are infact easier, because you get the jump on them - to the point , an assassin with sneak perks and backstab gloves can oneshot an elder dragon.

And all dragons follow exact same pattern, fire/frostbreath, fireball/frostball.
    And i thought dragons should be the true masters of shouting, since all shouts are in dragon language and yet they only know 1 type of shout: Firebreath or Frostbreath, never any other or both.

So, anyone suggests a specific form of resistance (fire, frost and shock) that would be most safe to take? What kind do you most commonly meet need for?

^It's hard to say, but I've only gotten owned by a mage once and it was ice, one shard took me down repeatedly. Some random bandit camp area... I was like lvl 25 or so. That was a while back. Everything else in the area was weak and easy and she looked like a regular mage, may have been some kind of boss chick.

Any element is dangerous but I'd go cold/lightning assuming lightning resistance affects the magicka drain it does to you or stamina drain from cold as well. You can go resist vs all though too.. which is what I'd do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    So, anyone suggests a specific form of resistance (fire, frost and shock) that would be most safe to take? What kind do you most commonly meet need for?
    I've had the most trouble with fire mages and dragon priests (that shoot fire) so far... so maybe that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

flat magic resistance is most safe to use all around. But look out for magic/frost/fire/shock resistance necklaces or rings in the shops of high quality, you would need only one of them, you can get necklace in shop that gives you up to 70% fire/frost/shock resistance, which absolutely trivializes the appropriate encounters.
    Infact dragons get weird and absolutely ignore you if you have too high resistance against their breath, until they land.

Deleted
    Boethiah's Calling:

DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE DAEDRIC QUEST!

Which followers can you safely sacrifice without affecting the rest of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Reganom View Post
    Boethiah's Calling:

Which followers can you safely sacrifice without affecting the rest of the game?
    I think I've seen that quest. I was planning on using the Bard from Riverwood who asks you to deliver a fake letter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    PC users oh how I envy you...I don't wanna upgrade my computer just for one game but dem mods. Man some of that sounds amazing. Oh well, I'll just have to keep trucking on my PS3.

I swear this game warps time. I tell myself "ok, I'll play til I get Shadowmere which will probably be within the hour". 4 hours later I'm going back to the Sanctuary after doing a bunch of Winterhold quests.
    How is it even considered upgrading it for ONE game? If you computer can't run Skyrim, what makes you think it'll be able to run ANYTHING that comes out in the next year or so? Upgrade your computer to play Skyrim NOW, and play all the other games LATER. You make it sound like Skyrim is the be-all end-all of PC games, and you'll never play anything beyond it.

---------- Post added 2011-12-03 at 06:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reganom View Post
    Boethiah's Calling:

Read this.

Can someone explain to me how the level 100 perk for Alchemy is any good?

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    How is it even considered upgrading it for ONE game? If you computer can't run Skyrim, what makes you think it'll be able to run ANYTHING that comes out in the next year or so? Upgrade your computer to play Skyrim NOW, and play all the other games LATER. You make it sound like Skyrim is the be-all end-all of PC games, and you'll never play anything beyond it.
    I only get maybe one game every 2-3 years. I've played WoW for 6 1/2 years. Will play Skyrim probably until MoP is released. So yes, I would essentially be upgrading for a single game.

On topic, I don't know how I like playing mage so far. The constant switching spells is fine for now but I can see it getting to me. What blows my mind is why Bethesda wouldn't make the "favorite" functionality so that the four directions on the d-pad can each house a different "set up" so it doesn't pause the game but just switches things out like hot keys on the PC.

The game can optimize its controls so much better. The start menu should be able to be used for everything from waiting to magic/items etc. The buttons can allow greater functionality when hitting a shout and forward attack in succession for a new different ability.

To the person asking about resistances I think it changes over levels. The level I'm at (31) I see lots of frost dragons and arch cryomancers so frost resistance is a biggy for me. I think once I start seeing Elder Dragons Imma have to go fire resistance.

Also, a question: I can't decide which trees to level first. I'm burning through Conjuration really quickly because I use bound sword in one hand. The other hand switches between summon Atronach, heal, oak flesh or flames. I want to level up destruction but I run out of mana too quickly and too often in sticky situations. I want to get points into alteration to get the mage armor perk but there's too many things I need to make sure I don't repeatedly have to cheese by hiding behind my flame atronach.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2011-12-04 at 03:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I've been having a total blast with Skyrim, it works incredibly well if you emphasise the RP part and don't look at it so much as a game to "beat".

When I created my character I decided he should be a bit of an outsider to better represent my own ignorance of Skyrim's world. I had the idea of a live-off-the-land, hunter-gatherer type who only really had contact with kin or trading in a few small villages, the force that captured Ulfricc just happened to grab me in the sweep. My plan was to do something with sword + board, light armour, some sneakiness but more scout than assassin (I've been at the right level to get the 15 x dagger multiplier for ages now but my character doesn't use daggers so I've left it blank), some bow skill and weak (actually pretty pathetic) healing. Treasure wise I tend to only pick up gems, jewelry, weapons and armour that look interesting, and books. Lots and lots of books.

Beyond that it all developed naturally, I got Blacksmithing because Avor in Riverwood was the first friendy face I saw after my traumatic dragon encounter. I watched him work and we chatted, eventually he let me try his forge and I decided it would make sense for my character to have some skill in crafting, and the idea of only wearing self-made armour seemed to fit him well. Alchemy and Enchanting I completely ignored. Not long after moving on to Whiterun I found a glass helmet that was a massive upgrade but discarded it, feeling a hero of my level was not worthy of such an artefact. I did however have a superstitious notion that the alien-looking elven armour must be amazing (I'd found an elven shield) and after tying up the quests around Whiterun and some left-overs I dedicated some time and money (spamming iron daggers) to learning the techniques to craft and upgrade a full suit of the stuff, bedecked in which I presented myself to the Companions.

Whilst working with the Companions a mage persuaded me to forgo a shield for the extra damage of a second sword (I really wanted to kill him quickly) and some disparaging remarks about honour led to me abandoning sneakiness for a hit-and-run-and-heal-and-hit-again approach. As I finished off my Companions quest line I felt a stirring pride for my Nordic heritage and abandoned my elfen apparel for a more fitting scale set. Some git with a massive sword that set me on fire set me wondering about enchanting and I went back to Whiterun's court mage, this time planning on listening to what he had to say on the whole magic sword and armour business. After a bit of wandering, killing a few draugr and a visit to the skyforge I had dedicated my gear to the art of hitting things harder and crafted a couple of special axes, Muspel (fire enchant) and Nifl (frost enchant).

Continuing the main story for a short while reminded me how neglected the stealthy aspect of my character had become and it seemed the Thieves Guild could give me some help there. Whiterun had given me a taste for fame so I made myself a known figure in Riften, and the Jarl's go-to guy for dragon and bandit slaying - a fortuitous dragon attack on the market gave everyone a chance to see my prowess and the image of the warrior clad in barbaric armour wielding ancient weapons fortified by the elements was only slightly marred by my accidently murdering someone in the melee and having to pay an on-the-spot fine.

Eventually I became Thane and bought a house, with my cover established it was time to begin my career as a criminal. Throughout the Thieves Guild quests I used the armour provided because it looked cool and to keep me from just murdering everything with casual abandon (a couple of times I had to do a quick-change and go all berserker on someone's ass, but that's okay because shut up I'm Dovahkiin). The armour and weapons I earned from the Thieves Guild are now on display in the cellar of my Riften house, where the alchemy lab (still unused) and enchanting table are kept. It looks like a low budget bat-cave down there now.

During my travels I had talked to a lot of people, seen a few things and started reading a fair bit about the history of Skyrim, Talos, the Empire and some disturbing works about the Thalmor. Righteous anger began to boil in my dragon-blood and I decided I was a true son of Skyrim - it was time to join the Stormcloaks. First though it was time to do something with that wealth I had accrued. Flitting between forge and enchanter I boosted up and crafted a magnificent set of glass armour after deciding I was badass enough to take to the field looking like a Christmas decoration. Morpel and Nifl were mounted on a wall and I bore Freki (health absorb) and Geri (stamina absorb) against the Empire. I know it sounds cheesy but I really did bestride the field of battle like a colossus. Looking like a Primarch amongst guardsmen I raced ahead of the main force to avoid butchering my own men, a random scattering of perks in the one-hander tree seeing me snipe archers with running, jumping power attacks then doubling back to snikity-snikt the supporting swordsmen. I clearly over-geared and out-levelled the content I was on but I didn't care, the Dovakhiin had decided it was time for Skyrim to leave the Empire and vice versa, anyone who disagreed could have a short conversation with Freki or Geri.

Currently I'm back on the main quest-line and as I've formed a dragon slaying Scoobie-gang I think it's probably time for some Dragon Armour. Part of me is thinking it might be time to look at enchantments that do things other than make me hit harder, magic defense would definitely be handy. I'm saving the mage college and assassins guild for when I do a magic user, and I also want to make a heavy-armour, sword+board legionnaire.

Can someone explain to me how the level 100 perk for Alchemy is any good?
    It's not. It will make potions/poisons cheaper (which is one of the main reasons to take alchemy in the first place..Money), and it doesn't really do that much. If you only need one effect on a potion or poison it's easy enough to do that. I didn't take the 100 perk, or the "resist 50% poison" perk.

Fire and frost. Don't believe there is any thunder dragons. I can't think of any mage right off the top of my head that uses shock damage to be dangerous, but I can think of several that use frost and fire. (Three daedric quests actually have mage boss's that pewpew with Ice, Azura's Star has some crazy fire/frost damage in it as well)
    Last edited by Zafire; 2011-12-04 at 05:37 AM.

It's usually a lot better to have attack bonus enchants on your gear or maybe armor (something like one-handed 17% and so on or bonus heavy armor).

If you need resistance for anything just chug a potion; try to put points into alchemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    All I want to say is... yes Bethesda screwed up with the pacing in Skyrim. If I see that I can get this shiny piece of gear at level 10 then hell I'm going to do it, and it's up to Bethesda to prevent me from doing that, but about playing something suboptimal? I'm sorry I didn't know that Skyrim was World First raiding. Every class in Skyrim is balance enough that if you want to play it, then you'll do just fine. Mages may be underpowered, and yes it sucks, but thats just the way it is. You say you 3-4 shot everything right? Well I just wanted to say turn it up to master, and find an ancient dragon. Good luck just lololol facerolling it, because it will destroy you. I honestly cannot understand why you made your character all decked out, but won't turn it to master and complain how it's all too easy. BTW Dual wielding isn't the only "optimal class". I play a stealth archer... things rarely get to me... very rarely, but yeah it's so underpowered. I get the feeling that you are just complaining to complain.
    I have an invincible horse tank and a ~60 damage (before arrows) bow. Dragons aren't terribly hard when your tank can't die. The difficulty (or lack thereof) is not what the game is about. It is about an open world experience where you make decisions that affect your future gameplay.
    Druid Paladin Priest Warlock Death Knight Hunter Mage Shaman Warrior Rogue Legendary Epic Superior Uncommon Common Poor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
    2016: Blizzard builds their new HQ on the moon

Strategy for fighingt a bear, spin until the bear gets bored

Deleted
    Skyrim needs your support!

After having defeated its' opponents greatly in the other duels, with over 70% of the votes, the call against Skyward Sword is a heavy battle.

Last night, Skyrim led 51%-49% but today the tables are turned and every vote counts! Support Skyrim in the semi-finals and let's have it face off against Assasins Creed for a REALLY interresting final round deathmatch.

Vote here: http://www.g4tv.com/vgdm/best-game-2...B51D860D59E47/

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Concerning beings currently on the physical plane, the dragonborn is really high up there. If I had to guess, I'd say he's the second strongest, under the Neravarine.
    What exactly IS the Neravarine?

Deleted
    Can anyone tell me how's Conjuration at later levels with Dremora Lord and Thralls ?

Deleted
    Did the last part of the Companions quest and cured myself of Lycanthropy. Beast mode's gone but people still mention that 'fur is growing out of my ears', did it work?