Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I only play melee when stuff is within melee range and I'm out of magicka.

---------- Post added 2011-12-13 at 02:22 PM ----------

Followers are what makes me raging. also, I bet difficulty makes them stronger.
    I can enchant an amulet with 72 magicka and 72% magicka regen. The gaulder amulet is pretty useless when you start messing with fortify enchanting potions.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I can enchant an amulet with 72 magicka and 72% magicka regen. The gaulder amulet is pretty useless when you start messing with fortify enchanting potions.
    I suppose you have 100 in enchanting then?

Anyway, my build: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#22760

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    Light armor is better in endgame anyway. +50% stamina regeneration > everything heavy armor offers. You can armor cap on both of them relatively easily once you get 100 smithing.

In the beginning heavy armor comes with a lot of draw backs in favor of more mitigation (can't sneak well, move slower), light armor comes with less drawbacks but less mitigation. If you want to talk about putting perks into things, light armor wins anyway.
    if you're mage heavy armor is better....

---------- Post added 2011-12-13 at 03:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    They really didn't design the traps too well. Rarely have i been worried about them. The only ones that can kill me are the rotating blades in Dwemer ruins, but those are easy to avoid.
    the spiked gate kills me every time if i miss it....then again i'm a mage in robes

Quote Originally Posted by Spurmwhale View Post
    if you're mage heavy armor is better....

the spiked gate kills me every time if i miss it....then again i'm a mage in robes
    Skrew armor as mage, alteration for president armor!

Difficulty scaling in skyrim is really odd; since at the beginning it is quite possible to have a pretty low level (10 or under) and go pretty much anywhere; it's entirely possible to get constantly gibbed by trivial enemies like trolls and giants even though dragons are a complete walkover.

Everything except 1h+shield with heavy armor feels like they take too much (1 shottable) damage and don't deal enough damage.

At this point enemies become so tedious and annoying the game almost forces you to min-max to *not* get destroyed by trolls.

After a certain threshold level and perks (20+, perks in smithing/enchanting+sensible combat things); the situation just reverses and you repeatedly gib everything.

I think if bethesda slowly expanded the explorable area like other sandbox games; or at least gave some kind of "suggested zone"; game balance would at least make some sense.

The gameplay experience goes from:
    what the hell whatever i do stuff 1 shots me -------------> lol everything dies in 2 hits

In most games it's:
    a character slowly becoming stronger and stronger; eventually with a combination of your own skill and your characters new found abilities killing progressively harder enemies is a satisfying experience. Tougher enemies or "boss types" are something you are *scared* of. You don't want to mess with a dragon early on or even in mid-game. But then as your character becomes strong enough you are able to engage in a climactic battle with these creatures.

In skyrim however dragons are nothing more than annoying pests that drop loot that no one wants and is a tediumfest to even sell (lol inventory weight).

I also wonder why bethesda didn't put at least a little more attention into the combat system in skyrim; it really feels even worse than oblivion. All they had to do was either look at combat mods for their own game or other games.

Hopefully like oblivion something like the "Deadly Reflexes" combat mod will be available soon.

So, the greatest tradegy happened: I lost Lydia and her body, and can't get her items.
    When I recieve a letter about her death from a messenger, am I then doomed to loss?

Also, does it stop saving where it normally saves if you get too many saves?
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2011-12-13 at 05:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeshka View Post
    Difficulty scaling in skyrim is really odd; since at the beginning it is quite possible to have a pretty low level (10 or under) and go pretty much anywhere; it's entirely possible to get constantly gibbed by trivial enemies like trolls and giants even though dragons are a complete walkover.

Everything except 1h+shield with heavy armor feels like they take too much (1 shottable) damage and don't deal enough damage.

At this point enemies become so tedious and annoying the game almost forces you to min-max to *not* get destroyed by trolls.

After a certain threshold level and perks (20+, perks in smithing/enchanting+sensible combat things); the situation just reverses and you repeatedly gib everything.

I think if bethesda slowly expanded the explorable area like other sandbox games; or at least gave some kind of "suggested zone"; game balance would at least make some sense.

The gameplay experience goes from:
    what the hell whatever i do stuff 1 shots me -------------> lol everything dies in 2 hits

In most games it's:
    a character slowly becoming stronger and stronger; eventually with a combination of your own skill and your characters new found abilities killing progressively harder enemies is a satisfying experience. Tougher enemies or "boss types" are something you are *scared* of. You don't want to mess with a dragon early on or even in mid-game. But then as your character becomes strong enough you are able to engage in a climactic battle with these creatures.

In skyrim however dragons are nothing more than annoying pests that drop loot that no one wants and is a tediumfest to even sell (lol inventory weight).

I also wonder why bethesda didn't put at least a little more attention into the combat system in skyrim; it really feels even worse than oblivion. All they had to do was either look at combat mods for their own game or other games.

Hopefully like oblivion something like the "Deadly Reflexes" combat mod will be available soon.
    I agree that the scaling is odd and is something they should definitely address in their next game or dlc if possible, but I think the combat is waaaayyy better than Oblivion. Archery in Oblivion kinda sucked and there was no dual wielding, so daggers were pretty much useless. The magic is better in Skyrim in my opinion, although I know you could create spells in Oblivion even though I never tried it. But the melee, while slightly better, is still kinda meh. I do like the talents like the one that slows time when blocking enemies power attack, but that's about it.

As for dragons I think it all really depends on the environment. I had a battle against an elder dragon at the Winterhold College and I was ducking behind the pillars and popping off shots and it felt like something out of a movie, but unfortunately not every fight is like that. A gripe I have with the game is that the shouts aren't all that useful due to their ridiculous cooldowns. Not to mention that all shouts share a cooldown, which I think was a mistake. I think they really should've had a shout perk tree and allowed you to level up your shouts like other skills. If they had done something like that I definitely would've used them more instead of only really using Dragonrend to get dragons to land.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    So, the greatest tradegy happened: I lost Lydia and her body, and can't get her items.
    When I recieve a letter about her death from a messenger, am I then doomed to loss?
    You can get her back with console commands.
    a2c94.moveto player
    a2c94.resurrect

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    I agree that the scaling is odd and is something they should definitely address in their next game or dlc if possible, but I think the combat is waaaayyy better than Oblivion. Archery in Oblivion kinda sucked and there was no dual wielding, so daggers were pretty much useless. The magic is better in Skyrim in my opinion, although I know you could create spells in Oblivion even though I never tried it. But the melee, while slightly better, is still kinda meh. I do like the talents like the one that slows time when blocking enemies power attack, but that's about it.

As for dragons I think it all really depends on the environment. I had a battle against an elder dragon at the Winterhold College and I was ducking behind the pillars and popping off shots and it felt like something out of a movie, but unfortunately not every fight is like that. A gripe I have with the game is that the shouts aren't all that useful due to their ridiculous cooldowns. Not to mention that all shouts share a cooldown, which I think was a mistake. I think they really should've had a shout perk tree and allowed you to level up your shouts like other skills. If they had done something like that I definitely would've used them more instead of only really using Dragonrend to get dragons to land.
    I think the only thing wrong with the balance is dumb AI. The difficulty thing is actually one of the reasons I like this game. However, that said, the enemies do scale to your level and the generic rule is the farther from roads and the higher you go, the harder the enemies get. As for the shouts, the CD thing is good.. they are really powerful so you shouldn't feel like you're forced to constantly swap them around and all shouts are useful but it depends on your playstyle. For example as a thief I never used fus do rah but as a warrior I'm using it all the time and as a fire mage, the firebreath is really good as it sets stuff on flame so they take extra damage.

http://skyrimcalculator.com/#23082

Yea I'm all over the place. There's so many things that are optimal for specific situations and others that are really bad for others. So I kept switching between destro, archery and one hand between level 15-25. Then I decided to go sword and board for dragon fights because timing power bashes with bites and breaths = auto stagger. I finally gave into exploiting smithing for dragon armor. Such a dumb idea. Now I'm rolling through everything and every time I die its like an epiphany of stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    I think the only thing wrong with the balance is dumb AI. The difficulty thing is actually one of the reasons I like this game. However, that said, the enemies do scale to your level and the generic rule is the farther from roads and the higher you go, the harder the enemies get. As for the shouts, the CD thing is good.. they are really powerful so you shouldn't feel like you're forced to constantly swap them around and all shouts are useful but it depends on your playstyle. For example as a thief I never used fus do rah but as a warrior I'm using it all the time and as a fire mage, the firebreath is really good as it sets stuff on flame so they take extra damage.
    Most enemies in Skyrim don't scale to your level. The game will try to throw higher level types of enemies at you as you level up, but these cap out at around 50. There's no difference between an elder dragon at 50 and an elder dragon at 81 for example. Giants are always 32. There are a few scaling enemies, but they're extreme rare.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2011-12-13 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    You can get her back with console commands.
    a2c94.moveto player
    a2c94.resurrect
    I tried to move her to me, but nothing happened. Then I tried to resurrect her and THEN move her, but when I use the moveto player command, my game instantly crashes.

Edit: Nevermind, she just didn't liked that I had another follower at my side carrying her stuff.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2011-12-13 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    Light armor is better in endgame anyway. +50% stamina regeneration > everything heavy armor offers. You can armor cap on both of them relatively easily once you get 100 smithing.

In the beginning heavy armor comes with a lot of draw backs in favor of more mitigation (can't sneak well, move slower), light armor comes with less drawbacks but less mitigation. If you want to talk about putting perks into things, light armor wins anyway.
    So you basicly agree with what I said apart from saying HA has more drawbacks since you lose more stamina (get that block out yo) but the added armor is more important imo, sneaking isn't an issue as I already stated.

Traps in general can be ignored it's areas with runes that instakill (Found that one out the hardway )
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2011-12-13 at 10:36 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Most enemies in Skyrim don't scale to your level. The game will try to throw higher level types of enemies at you as you level up, but these cap out at around 50. There's no difference between an elder dragon at 50 and an elder dragon at 81 for example. Giants are always 32. There are a few scaling enemies, but they're extreme rare.
    You don't really gain in power after 50 too though if you are training your class skills and not everything equally or something. It would be bad if they scaled higher as then you'd actually get weaker:P I mean if you're a mage, you can't go above 100 destruction anyway so that 2h skill wouldn't really help you there

The spinning blade traps do way to much damage. They instantly killed me on the easiest setting. Not used to other traps ever since I took the light foot perk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    The spinning blade traps do way to much damage. They instantly killed me on the easiest setting. Not used to other traps ever since I took the light foot perk.
    A spinning blade does too much damage? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

There is usually a way to avoid the spinning blades, at least for you. Your companion will be toast though.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    You don't really gain in power after 50 too though if you are training your class skills and not everything equally or something. It would be bad if they scaled higher as then you'd actually get weaker:P I mean if you're a mage, you can't go above 100 destruction anyway so that 2h skill wouldn't really help you there
    31 More perks doesn't equal more power? Oh, and btw, the game isn't balanced at all. With a daedric longsword, I one shot elder dragons. I don't see a benefit to playing a mage or thief type character. As a heavy armor warrior with a one hander and shield I one shot everything, I'm armor capped, I'm immune to physical damage while blocking, and I can use my enchantment slots on defensive stats such as health/health regen instead of getting infinite magicka. The only great thing a stealth character gets is the final perk in sneak, which I can pick up easily as a combat character because 80 perks is a lot to spend.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling mages unviable, or saying you can't beat the game with them on master. You can easily faceroll through the game as a mage. Warrior characters are comparatively better though, so in that sense the game is unbalanced. And the x30 backstab is currently superfluous, because it's pretty much just overdamage. Now if there were enemies in the game that had 100k+ HP, that x30 backstab would be a lot better. As is though, there's no point to it really.

Well it's not just about being better though, Laurcus. It's about the playstyle that someone wishes to play with. I mean, this isn't a competition here.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well it's not just about being better though, Laurcus. It's about the playstyle that someone wishes to play with. I mean, this isn't a competition here.
    I agree completely, and I fully plan on making a pure mage character in a few weeks when I finish a few projects I'm working on. However, game balance was being discussed a couple pages back, and some people were saying there's pros and cons between combat/magic/stealth characters, while factually there are only pros to combat characters.

In a way it's misinformation to say that the game is balanced because combat characters can do x while mage characters can do y.