10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Basically, the games are extremely different from wow, and you shouldn't try to make build comparisons between the two.
    A appreciate the response but let me try and reiterate what I said in my first post:

The only point I was making is that there doesn't seem to be enough options for "Classes" in the game and the only reason I compared it to Wow was because, well, Wow has a few dozen possible "specs" whereas Skyrim seems to have 3: Rogue, Warrior, and Mage. Granted there are slight variations that can be made to each and EARLY in the game, all the potential characters seem to be very different from each other BUT as you get closer to the END game(I use caps here because I did in my previous post. I was specifically talking about end game, ya know, the point where you have enough perks to max out several trees if ya want) the variations start blending together.

In other words, maybe at level 25 you have Conjuration at 100 and have dumped all your perks into that tree so you can summon 2 Atronachs(or Thralls I suppose) at a time BUT you can't cast any better than an Apprentice level Destruction spell. Now take that same character 10 levels later and viola, you have 100 in Destruction and are casting Master level spells form both trees. Go forward another 15 levels and poof, you're a master illusionist. 15 and bam, Master of the Alteration tree. You get the point

So yeah, what I'm saying is, in the END game, there seems to really only be 3 Character templates for a player to choose from and that seems kinda lame to me

---------- Post added 2012-01-06 at 05:47 PM ----------

Oh and Laurcus, one more thing. You still can potentially become as Godly as you could in Morrowind, just max out Enchanting, Alchemy, and Blacksmithing, make GOD like gear, and there ya have it.

---------- Post added 2012-01-06 at 05:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    @dave131

My main was a druid, I was a feral one who prefered DPS but ofc the guild needed me to tank aswell. Although if it was possible for me to not tank I'd make sure that happened. Same went for loads of other people in the guild, Arms war wanting to play arms only boomkins, mages, rogues,...

Most people stick with one main spec and their os gets neglected, sure there's people who play both but usually a. the guild doesn't want you to (what's your main spec etc etc) B. you don't know it as well c. jacks of all trades masters of none aren't welcome everywhere
    Again, I absolutely appreciate the response, but I think you might have misunderstood the point I was making
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave131 View Post
    So yeah, what I'm saying is, in the END game, there seems to really only be 3 Character templates for a player to choose from and that seems kinda lame to me[COLOR="red"]
    and there aren't so many in WoW either. you can loosely categorize all the classes all into the same three 'classes' as what skyrim has. priest, warlock, mage, druids (balance, resto) can all just be put into a mage category for example. in skyrim there are many options to take as a mage. you could go a sneak, light armor, illusion mage, or a heavy armor conjuration mage with some block skills also, or you could just go the conventional destruction, enchanting and robe wearing mage.

just because you have the option to potentially level all skill areas by the end game, doesn't mean that you by any means have to use all the skill points and use skills from the different trees. i have personally created a conjured weapons and heavy armor warrior. by the time i reached level 50 or so i did pile a few points into destruction as there wasn't much else left, but did i use them? no. i stuck to the style of character i originally created and used very little spells from the other trees.

if you need there to be specific classes labelled in game to try out different styles and builds then my guess is that you don't really have much imagination to choose some for yourself or the willpower to stick to it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Runeforged View Post
    I wonder what the first DLC will be (besides some house or something, although I wouldn't mind another wizard's tower house). I think it'll involve Falion somehow. He's out doing a ritual in the marshes in Hjaalmarch, and when you talk to him all you can do is take a bribe, say you won't tell anyone, or tell him that you're telling the jarl. Whatever you choose, nothing seems to come out of it, there's not even a misc objective telling you to tell the jarl or anything. Falion insists that he's working to protect Morthal but we haven't seen any evidence of that.
    Horse armor.

I am kind of curious for the first DLC too, I am slowly running out of interesting content.

10+ Year Old Account
    A appreciate the response but let me try and reiterate what I said in my first post:

The only point I was making is that there doesn't seem to be enough options for "Classes" in the game and the only reason I compared it to Wow was because, well, Wow has a few dozen possible "specs" whereas Skyrim seems to have 3: Rogue, Warrior, and Mage. Granted there are slight variations that can be made to each and EARLY in the game, all the potential characters seem to be very different from each other BUT as you get closer to the END game(I use caps here because I did in my previous post. I was specifically talking about end game, ya know, the point where you have enough perks to max out several trees if ya want) the variations start blending together.

In other words, maybe at level 25 you have Conjuration at 100 and have dumped all your perks into that tree so you can summon 2 Atronachs(or Thralls I suppose) at a time BUT you can't cast any better than an Apprentice level Destruction spell. Now take that same character 10 levels later and viola, you have 100 in Destruction and are casting Master level spells form both trees. Go forward another 15 levels and poof, you're a master illusionist. 15 and bam, Master of the Alteration tree. You get the point

So yeah, what I'm saying is, in the END game, there seems to really only be 3 Character templates for a player to choose from and that seems kinda lame to me
    I think that's kinda intended. 3 broad classes. The guardian stones have 3 stones - Mage, Thief, Warrior. The perk constellations are also divided into those three categories - bluish nebula for mage, greenish for thief, and orange-y for warrior.

I disagree that it's lame. Your post is a little contradictory too. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, so do correct me. First you say there aren't enough options. Then later you say that you every 15 levels you can max out a tree. I think that is the point. While broadly speaking, you're a warrior, a thief, or a mage, you can mix and match and 'subspec'.

Comparing it to WoW, yes, WoW has "a few dozen possible specs", but they are again more specialized than just Rogue/Thief/, Warrior and Mage.

Casters are variables of the Mage archetype.
    Hunter - Archery
    Rogue - Sneak/One-Handed
    Warrior - 1H/2H/Block/Heavy armor
    Paladin - Warrior with lots of points in Restoration
    Death Knight - Warrior with Conjuration/2H/Illusion (?)
    Druids.... well they don't count.

My point being, you can mix and match and make your own toon. Sure, perks limit you, but if you can get every perk in every tree (without cheating), then where's the variety? Broadly speaking, you're a warrior, thief or mage, but I think we have enough perks to vary our characters (though I definitely would like to be able to have more perks).

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeshka View Post
    It's not really the worst game; but it definitely doesn't deserve the attention and goty awards.
    I've probably done this to death in this thread and people will kill me if I start again but w/e.

This guy is exaggerating but he has a point; the combat is atrocious. The quests are atrocious. The AI and physics are hilariously bad; no facial expressions, bad voice acting, soulless/lifeless.

To be fair it's an absolutely amazing hiking sim and exploration simulator. If you are a LARPer; you'll like this game obviously (and a lot more after mods come out). I've definitely had my share of fun exploring the mostly beautiful world and the handful of very well crafted dungeons.

>HAY BUT THAT JUST UR OPINION MAN
    >BBBBUT MODS WILL FIX ERYTHING
    >ALL QUEST SKYRIM SO AWESUM <3 ^_^ xDxD
    >HUGE GAEM NOT PAWSIBAL TO MAEK 2 MANY GEWD QUEST
    >COMBAT NOT BAD MAYB U SUX
    >WHO CARE IT FUN GAM ANEWAY LOL U JUTS HATE FUN
    >I MEAN ARROW TO THE KNEE RITE xDD
    >MAYBE U NOT LIEK FUN
    >UR JJUST A BETH HATER
    >UMAD BECUZ OUR GAME IS THE BEST???
    As a matter of fact. I would like a mix of the World of Warcraft and Skyrim combat system, and I doubt many would disagree. Skyrim do has it's flaws, but it does deserve the GOTY 2011. Arkham City and others were up there, but Skyrim did pull out a better gaming experience. But everyone has their own point of view. I like many games last year, and I would applaud many other titles if they got the GOTY title

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    I'm PRETTY sure this post is in the wrong place

---------- Post added 2012-01-07 at 01:26 AM ----------

Solution = Get more fatigue/stamina.

---------- Post added 2012-01-07 at 01:27 AM ----------

Mehrunes Razor was not used to kill Uriel Septim IV.
    Actually, Mehrunes' Razor was used to kill Uriel. This is never explicitly stated, but it's shown if you can read between the lines even a little bit.

Uriel Septim is killed by a summoned dagger, in a single blow. When a member of the Mythic Dawn summons equipment, it's not through their own skill with magic, it's a blessing from Mehrunes Dagon. In game, the weapon appears as a normal dagger, but such a thing could have easily been Mehrunes' Razor, as the look of a daedric artifact changes with the whim of the Daedric Lord it's associated with.

The Razor is just a manifestation of his power. In that sense, it's no different from any other bound spell that a Mythic Dawn cult member uses. In theory, he can create infinite duplicate Razors. Seeing as how the assassination of Uriel was so important to his plans, it's likely that that specific dagger was a Razor, which quite handily explains how a single blow killed Uriel, when he could take so much punishment and survive. Maybe it was not the same Mehrunes' Razor as is seen in Oblivion, (the one in Skyrim could easily be a different artifact, they certainly look different, meaning Mehrunes Dagon likely changed or recreated it at some point) but it was likely an equal manifestation of his power.

Another thing to note, is that that is the only Mythic Dawn member in the game that summons a dagger. Typical members summon a longsword, or a mace. It's only circumstantial evidence without Bethesda coming right out and saying it, but it seems fairly obvious to me. It all lines up a little bit too perfectly. The weapon that embodies the killing power of Mehrunes Dagon is the same type of weapon used to remove his greatest obstacle, and it was a weapon specifically gifted by him to the assassin.

---------- Post added 2012-01-07 at 02:35 AM ----------

---------- Post added 2012-01-06 at 05:47 PM ----------

Oh and Laurcus, one more thing. You still can potentially become as Godly as you could in Morrowind, just max out Enchanting, Alchemy, and Blacksmithing, make GOD like gear, and there ya have it.

---------- Post added 2012-01-06 at 05:51 PM ----------

Again, I absolutely appreciate the response, but I think you might have misunderstood the point I was making
    I'm aware of the restoration potion glitch that allows you to fortify gear to exponential levels. The point I was trying to make though, is that I feel there are too many class types at max level. There should be only one, god.

When you have a maxed out character in an Elder Scrolls game, it should be maxed out in every way. You should be a warriormagearcherstealthytankofbeastlyness, not just a warrior, mage, or stealth guy, or a hybrid of a few aspects of each. There should be no class archetypes, there should be perfection.

Ah, icwutudidthar Venziir. You are right, Uriel Septim IV was not killed by Mehrunes' Razor. It is highly likely though, that Uriel Septim VII was. You're being tricky!
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2012-01-07 at 04:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Short offtopic:

This has been bugging me for awhile. I'm sort of well into the game by now, but far from finishing even half the stuffs. I visited Riften many times, already became Thieves Guidlmaster. All this time Riften has always been shrouded in mist, even in daytime. The atmosphere really goes well with how corrupt and crime infested the city is.

Today, all of a sudden I noticed Riften is now super sunny (like Whiterun), and the mist is gone. Does anyone know what triggered it? The only thing I can think of, is it wasn't long after I became Thane, but not immediately after.

Grrr I need answers!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Corylyn View Post
    Short offtopic:

This has been bugging me for awhile. I'm sort of well into the game by now, but far from finishing even half the stuffs. I visited Riften many times, already became Thieves Guidlmaster. All this time Riften has always been shrouded in mist, even in daytime. The atmosphere really goes well with how corrupt and crime infested the city is.

Today, all of a sudden I noticed Riften is now super sunny (like Whiterun), and the mist is gone. Does anyone know what triggered it? The only thing I can think of, is it wasn't long after I became Thane, but not immediately after.

Grrr I need answers!
    Hiya!

I've not experienced this issue so strongly personally, but I figured the least I could do for a fellow Skyrim player was look it up

Unfortunately, it does not appear to be a directly hot topic. So.. I checked for myself to see if I could trigger a weather change in riften, while assigning my Girlfriend to try checking files regarding the weather engine.

It seems you've been extremely 'lucky' to have persistant fog for each visit giving the awesome feeling. I did'nt find any direct regards as to why the weather would be one of the (many) weather options and my Girlfriend agrees. It's PRETTY randomly assigned, although most zones have their very own Rythm's and Riften is among them. Riften does, indeed, appear to have a good chance of being foggy, but it should not be quest related weither it's sunny or foggy in the city.

Try giving it a day and check if it's sunny again and note if it's persistant. If the same weather repeats more than 5 days of full sunshine, try travelling around, come back and check again. If the issue still remains, then it appears the engine does'nt work quite like the way we've come to anticipate.

But that's just our two (or four?) cents on the matter and from what two novices regarding this kind of stuff could come across. If anyone knows anything for certain that we overlooked, I apologize for the faulty response. Untill then, I hope our efforts atleast helped a bit =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasperio View Post
    Hiya!

I've not experienced this issue so strongly personally, but I figured the least I could do for a fellow Skyrim player was look it up

Unfortunately, it does not appear to be a directly hot topic. So.. I checked for myself to see if I could trigger a weather change in riften, while assigning my Girlfriend to try checking files regarding the weather engine.

It seems you've been extremely 'lucky' to have persistant fog for each visit giving the awesome feeling. I did'nt find any direct regards as to why the weather would be one of the (many) weather options and my Girlfriend agrees. It's PRETTY randomly assigned, although most zones have their very own Rythm's and Riften is among them. Riften does, indeed, appear to have a good chance of being foggy, but it should not be quest related weither it's sunny or foggy in the city.

Try giving it a day and check if it's sunny again and note if it's persistant. If the same weather repeats more than 5 days of full sunshine, try travelling around, come back and check again. If the issue still remains, then it appears the engine does'nt work quite like the way we've come to anticipate.

But that's just our two (or four?) cents on the matter and from what two novices regarding this kind of stuff could come across. If anyone knows anything for certain that we overlooked, I apologize for the faulty response. Untill then, I hope our efforts atleast helped a bit =)
    Wow, thanks for the legwork! I waited (T) in-game and it seems that Riften has a small chance of being sunny. I haven't been able to find a pattern, which leads me to conclude that it's a random occurrence with a small probability, agreeing with your post. I tested over the course of 20 in-game days. Sometimes it lasts for an hour, sometimes it lasts for 4 hours (longest I've seen). Most of the time it's foggy and cloudy, but the sunny thing threw me off.

Now I can finally go to bed!

Dammit I was gonna post that link but had just been searching to make sure none had posted it already! Curses!

Great stuff from myself making a post and not a point with it...

What I ment to say was, In wow there aren't many options either, you either are a X mage, X war, X druid,.... If you want to play another role you usually have to reroll.
    Best example for this is ofcourse rogue/mage/lock. But loads of people stick to one type of gameplay eg, the feral dps druid.

Also both wow and skyrim use Trinity systems: for wow it's DPS, Heal, Tank. For skyrim it's Stealth, melee, caster.
    You can do the same thing For DPS: warlock=mage=balancedrood=ele sham just change the colours of the casts.

If I build further on your example, saying you start with using Conjuration and later on Mastering Destruction aswell that's only if you actually start using destruction spells, if you don't want to become a "true mage" who masters all forms of magic simply don't use all forms of magic.

So yes in the end there only are 3 "classes" but wow only has 3classes from the start as do all games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    and there aren't so many in WoW either. you can loosely categorize all the classes all into the same three 'classes' as what skyrim has. priest, warlock, mage, druids (balance, resto) can all just be put into a mage category for example. in skyrim there are many options to take as a mage. you could go a sneak, light armor, illusion mage, or a heavy armor conjuration mage with some block skills also, or you could just go the conventional destruction, enchanting and robe wearing mage.

just because you have the option to potentially level all skill areas by the end game, doesn't mean that you by any means have to use all the skill points and use skills from the different trees. i have personally created a conjured weapons and heavy armor warrior. by the time i reached level 50 or so i did pile a few points into destruction as there wasn't much else left, but did i use them? no. i stuck to the style of character i originally created and used very little spells from the other trees.

if you need there to be specific classes labelled in game to try out different styles and builds then my guess is that you don't really have much imagination to choose some for yourself or the willpower to stick to it.
    Yea but even at level cap you could only max out like 6 skill trees so the variations are pretty much unlimited. Of course you could "cheat" and substitute a lot of perks with enchants but lets assume you don't, you still get at least 50 different classes even at level 82 or was it 81.

If you take your example, yes you could do that, max out every magic skill and you'd be an archmage. Really good with magic but have no fighting or stealth skills. But you can also go illusion, light armor, stealth 1 handed, speech, alchemy and something and then you couldn't max out conjuration any more or destruction.

Or you could be a battle mage with destruction, heavy armor, block, restoration and smithing and you wouldn't have perks to spare into conjuration.

So there you have it. The only problem is that the magic trees are badly made and most of the perks there are useless so you can only spend like 5-6 and still get everything that tree has to offer.

What happens if you do the civil war quest line before doing Season Unending, the quest with the peace treaty?

Quote Originally Posted by Palapwn View Post
    What happens if you do the civil war quest line before doing Season Unending, the quest with the peace treaty?
    The peace treaty quest simply doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    Is anyone still playing after having beat the game/hit max or nearly max lvl?
    I'm not right now, but I intend to go back to the game soon-ish and finish off a few things. I've just been really busy trying to finish other games. I haven't even made a dead is dead character yet, which I still intend to do.

I made a new toon very recently, playing it whenever I feel like it.
    Still fun though, I managed to level to 30 doing new areas and quests roughly 50% of the time.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

I'm trying to reach lvl 81 w/o ever being rested using leveling tricks. I'm nearly there but exams are stopping me atm

15+ Year Old Account
    Is there any console command that adds perk points instead of just specific perks?

i still play after i hit cap. i had to start new characters to enjoy the game though. once i hit mid 40s to 50s the game gets really easy as long as you're smart about perks.

edit: my 81.5 is a 2hd/plate if it matters
    Last edited by DDazzle; 2012-01-08 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    the weight system of how much u can carry is a pain and sadly duelwield isnt very practical since it chews through stamina
    Going for stam fixes both of those problems along with talents for less stam for power attacks. I wasnt very fond of Dualweilding until I put a few points into it and noticed it does more damage than 2h.