Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Yeah, Olaf probably wasn't my best random pick to get for a first time.
    Eh. Level up Q or E, both are extremely good in there.

Depending on the game/matchup, I would generally build tank then maybe a Hydra or a botkr or something that gives you sustain from damage or a slow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Yeah, Olaf probably wasn't my best random pick to get for a first time.
    Actually a bruiser or two on the team are indispensable. A full-on poke team with the likes of Yi, Nidalee and Lux can crush early, but if you can hold on - to last nexus turret if necessary - the team with some actual brawn will steamroll later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Actually a bruiser or two on the team are indispensable. A full-on poke team with the likes of Yi, Nidalee and Lux can crush early, but if you can hold on - to last nexus turret if necessary - the team with some actual brawn will steamroll later on.
    I didn't do too bad but 3 of my teammates kinda fed the other team by just face checking and just overall charging 1 v 5 into the other team. Other team was Trist, Taric, Cait, Ryze and Liss. Could just melt us before we got to them, heh.

15+ Year Old Account
    Little personal snippet:

3 weeks ago I was in Silver 3 and tired of ranked. I had made 3 attempts at Silver 1 to Gold 5 best of 5 promotions and had been trolled hardcore in all 3. I then proceeded to get drunk w/ RL buddies and play ranked games dropping me to Silver 3.

I took a week-long break. Upon return, I played nothing but Cait...and when someone pulled the old "ADC or I feed" or "respect the pick order," I would support (either Sona or Leona every time depending on comp and ADC pick) and make damn sure the entire lower half of the map was taken care of.

Now, 2 weeks later...I just won my promo into Gold 2 and feel confident I'll be Platinum within a couple more weeks. The games are a bit tougher now, but I still feel like I can carry or make it easy for someone else to carry.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/432043

The short of it is - play your absolute strongest champs and do everything you can to carry. Take each game as an individual instance and focus entirely on the given situations as they unfold.

Just figured I'd share...there's hope out there!
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2013-07-08 at 03:27 AM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    The short of it is - play your absolute strongest champs and do everything you can to carry.

Just figured I'd share...there's hope out there!
    Well I have experienced exactly what you have right there.
    I started calling top lane and picking my strongest champion (Jarvan) and successfully carried to Plat.
    I continued doing this, playing only what I was good at, and not the "Champion X is open, pick X!" stuff you hear all the time.
    Don't play stuff you have little experience playing with simply because "It's open" or "X counters Y, pick it!". If you can't play it, don't.
    Just a little something I had to add.

And now for what I wanted to say...
    I got promoted to Diamond V! Aw yeah!

I will sleep happily tonight =3

15+ Year Old Account
    Awesome! Definitely miles above my level...it sure does make for some nice ZZZZs when you win a promo.

Grats on Diamond...I think for me I'll probably end up in the low levels of Plat 5/4...I have much to improve about my game.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2013-07-08 at 03:29 AM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Grats on diamond!

Still trying to get back into Gold 1 myself. Sitting on the promo series atm. Bad team spree this week, felt like I should of got plat this week but had to work my way back from mid G3 >> Hopefully once I get plat I have the motivation to try to reach for diamond
    Last edited by Acry; 2013-07-08 at 03:34 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just a personal thing too, but I never play immediately after two consecutive losses...even if I felt like I played strong games. I tend to go on tilt a little bit, much like poker players do after suffering a "bad beat." I'll go outside, do things around the house, or anything to take my mind off it for a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm having the opposite situation. Stuck in Silver 3 playing my favorite and best champs. Outside of Jarvan, I haven't had much success. However, I've been mostly doing duo queue and we haven't been able to win together in ranked since the semester ended so maybe the problem lies there...

No luck what so ever for me lately.
    Queue up for some ranked then this happens:
    http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...616858&page=14

Everyone with Comcast has immense packet loss. *sigh* I didn't see any heroes until they were on top of me and none of my actions were happening until a bit of a delay. FPS and ping all normal 60 fps, 70 ms. Fun times, no packet loss to Google during the game while running a ping to it.

Why are people so stubborn concerning item builds?

Played Ashe in an ARAM and the enemy and some teammates kept insulting me for a "noob build" which's core consisted of CDR boots, brutalizer and a hexdrinker (4 APs). Sure that build wont offer the best singletarget DPS but we had a second AD carry and we lacked poke to keep them at bay. I thought people would understand in ARAM that you should build for what the team needs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by meteo View Post
    Why are people so stubborn concerning item builds?

Played Ashe in an ARAM and the enemy and some teammates kept insulting me for a "noob build" which's core consisted of CDR boots, brutalizer and a hexdrinker (4 APs). Sure that build wont offer the best singletarget DPS but we had a second AD carry and we lacked poke to keep them at bay. I thought people would understand in ARAM that you should build for what the team needs
    Anyone who tries to tell anyone how to play in a game of ARAM for any reason at any time is a certifiable idiot. Tell them to go tryhard in SR if they feel like it.

I partly understand them. I hate nothing more than someone trolling because he din't get a champ he wanted.

I don't really care what you're building as long as it can make a positive impact on the game and you're not throwing on purpose (no... AP garen never has a positive impact). I got to admit that I'm not 100% convinced of my CDR build because my team started going for all ins all of a sudden which would have made a standard AD build better but if we had poked just a little bit more, it would have been the perfect build (spamming W = highest damage done to champions. Love that range)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    I honestly think you're wrong. Or rather, this is true, but this also only works if your champ is one of the fotm champs (which Jarvan in your case is). If the champs you're good at are Poppy, Brand, and Warwick, you're not exactly going to have the same results.

What people need to do is to practice the OP champs and become good at them, not just pick them and fail.

I'll take my personal example: My champ pool of champs I can play well is roughly:
    Top: Riven, Nasus, Cho'gath
    Jungle: Noc, Naut, Amumu
    AP: Ahri, Annie
    AD: Graves, Ez, Cait, Ashe
    Support: Thresh, Sona, Nami

Needless to say I tend to do much better at supporting than anything else these days - back when the OP champs were different(riven kekeke) I used to have much better results in top lane or as mid. For example I'm sure that if I learned Elise and Jayce I would do extremely good in top lane again, that's not really a skill issue and more of a champ pool issue.

tl;dr LEARN op shit for soloq, not just play it. just playing the champs you're strong at wont bring you much though if they dont fit.
    So what about the guys getting to Diamond 1 using WW, Fiddle, Shaco only? Aren't they getting the same results?

Seriously, just play what you're comfortable with and play what you know best and if you're good enough, results will show.

gratz zelgius to diamond!!

man ive been stuck in plat 1 for 4months and finally ive been demoted to plat 2 T.T

sooo how do you people deal with singed -_- omg i hate being forced into top lane and lose to singed every single time ( i dont play top)
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Get Nasus, peacefully farm the entire enemy wave. 2 shot towers with 1k Qs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    Awesome! Definitely miles above my level...it sure does make for some nice ZZZZs when you win a promo.

Grats on Diamond...I think for me I'll probably end up in the low levels of Plat 5/4...I have much to improve about my game.
    Hey thanks! Just don't sell yourself short though, underestimating yourself isn't going to do any good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acry View Post
    Grats on diamond!

Still trying to get back into Gold 1 myself. Sitting on the promo series atm. Bad team spree this week, felt like I should of got plat this week but had to work my way back from mid G3 >> Hopefully once I get plat I have the motivation to try to reach for diamond
    Thanks man! I'd say take it easy and play a few times per week, since there's no real reason to rush it. Also, remember to play late these days since it's summer holiday for most people (so a lot of kids would be online if it wasn't hella late).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    I honestly think you're wrong. Or rather, this is true, but this also only works if your champ is one of the fotm champs (which Jarvan in your case is). If the champs you're good at are Poppy, Brand, and Warwick, you're not exactly going to have the same results.

What people need to do is to practice the OP champs and become good at them, not just pick them and fail.

tl;dr LEARN op shit for soloq, not just play it. just playing the champs you're strong at wont bring you much though if they dont fit.
    I still don't see how Jarvan >Top< lane means I'm playing fotm shit but sure, you could see it that way. People will have a much harder time picking unconventional picks.
    All I'm saying was that if there's a champion you can play well which to some degree fits in today's meta, you can spam the shit out of it if you feel comfortable/good with that pick.

For example, I have been playing Riven and Jarvan since the dawn of time and am very good with either of them, the problem is that Riven is bad against popular top picks (like Jayce/Elise/Kennen), which means that there is little room for me to play her. Jarvan however is a good pick against ranged tops due to his ginormous gap closer. In other words: Riven can't work in this specific lolol range top lane meta but Jarvan can.

If you see a chance to play one of your favourite champs, you should play it. Because playing what you're comfortable with means you perform better and will be able to carry to a greater degree.

I'm not claiming practicing OP champions doesn't work, I'm just saying that if a champ fits the meta and you're very good with it, you should at least give it a try and see the results.

tl;dr - Play something you like if it fits in the current meta, or just practice an overpowered champion and play that.

P.S. Jarvan top =/= fotm. That's like saying top lane Lee Sin is fotm when clearly everyone jungles him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrike View Post
    gratz zelgius to diamond!!

man ive been stuck in plat 1 for 4months and finally ive been demoted to plat 2 T.T

sooo how do you people deal with singed -_- omg i hate being forced into top lane and lose to singed every single time ( i dont play top)
    Hey thanks!
    I kind of expected you to get Diamond before me :/

The best way to deal with Singed is to pick another split pusher/farmer, since that's what most Singed players do. Rushing a hexdrinker/mr usually helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelgius View Post
    -snip-
    I used to play a lot of jarvan top back in S2 in normals, and always find myself winning lane pretty easily with him back then. Any general advice on how to do it now? I copied your masteries, and grabbed some of the runes I was missing in attempts to give it a go later. I have trouble against jayce/renekton/rumble picks top lane because I don't have anything I play well that fights them without being teemo-countered and still a hard match up (Singed/Nasus). When I pick Renekton I will generally always win lane and come out pretty good, but Ren's late game just can't carry. So, playing J4 top again sounds like a pretty good pick against those 3 rather than having to resort to Nasus or Singed
    Last edited by Acry; 2013-07-08 at 01:05 PM.

Deleted
    Seems like people can't enter EUW and it's lagging for a lot of people playing in there atm. So I guess don't go play now in there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acry View Post
    I used to play a lot of jarvan top back in S2 in normals, and always find myself winning lane pretty easily with him back then. Any general advice on how to do it now? I copied your masteries, and grabbed some of the runes I was missing in attempts to give it a go later.
    I usually start with Crystalline Flask +1 pot + 1 ward, because the ward gives you safety in lane to dunk however you please and the flask remedies the mana problems that you have.
    Things to do in lane:
    - Every time an enemy champion goes for a last hit, give them a bonk on the noggin (Jarvan's attack range is actually bigger than normal, so there should be no retalliation)
    - Push the first few waves a little bit so you hit level 2 earlier, once you do IMMEDIATELY press ctrl + e and land an EQ combo on them. If you do this they will probably back away and miss a lot of health, also causing them to stand way behind their creeps.
    - Keep harrassing with Q or EQ, you should use Q when you're unsure if diving him is a bad idea to do or if he's under the turret.

Usually when I back I buy a shitload of longswords (1-4 depending on $ gained). This works very well against pretty much everything since you gain a lot of damage when you back, causing them to underestimate you. And then when you hit 6 you do EQ + hit + ignite + R and they get instagibbed.
    I usually rush Brutalizer and Spirit of the Lizard Elder. After which I get durability. Those two items are the only thing you need to deal damage till late game when you can buy a last whisper and finish your Black Cleaver. If it's REALLY late game and you have a lot of money, you can sell Lizard Elder and get a Trinity Force instead, since that adds even more damage than SotEL.

In general my build tends to be: Flask pot ward > lots of longswords > brutalizer > boots > sotel > ninja tabi/merc > sunfire/spirit visage (Very good item even without the % healing! 20% Cdr is hella useful) > sunfire/spirit visage (the one you didn't pick) > finish black cleaver > last whisper.
    This build basically means you can oneshot the enemy carry and still be an effective tank. Just don't overdo it and lock 5 people in your cataclysm, that's no good.