Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Holy shit. How have I NEVER seen this before!?!?!?!?

Name: DeltrusDisc
    Processor: i5-2500K chocolate
    Clock: 4.4GHz
    Voltage: 1.315V in BIOS
    Cooler: Zalman CNPS LED 9900A (too many letters!)
    Screenshot LINK: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ghzstable.png/
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1973906
    Is that as far as you've pushed it yet Deltrus?
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Is that as far as you've pushed it yet Deltrus?
    I just started! D:

And I've had a cold these past few days and I was just at work for 8 hours today... on a Sunday. x_x and I had work the previous night. Sooooo, yeah. I was 4.0 stable for a couple months, just recently, (literally days ago) decided to try for moar. I can assure you, it was blue screening for me at 1.30v for 4.4GHz after a bit of time in Prime, so I kicked it up a little, and I was extremely happy to come home tonight and come downstairs and see my screen was not a BSOD! So my first time OCing and tweaking the voltages and getting it right. Time for MOAAAARRRRR
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I just started! D:

And I've had a cold these past few days and I was just at work for 8 hours today... on a Sunday. x_x and I had work the previous night. Sooooo, yeah. I was 4.0 stable for a couple months, just recently, (literally days ago) decided to try for moar. I can assure you, it was blue screening for me at 1.30v for 4.4GHz after a bit of time in Prime, so I kicked it up a little, and I was extremely happy to come home tonight and come downstairs and see my screen was not a BSOD! So my first time OCing and tweaking the voltages and getting it right. Time for MOAAAARRRRR
    Yeah, I insisted I would hold off on overclocking, but then on a whim a couple weeks after getting it decided to play with it and see how far I got, and here I am, now wishing I spent more on the cooler, just didn't think i'd get a good chip. lol
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Yeah, I insisted I would hold off on overclocking, but then on a whim a couple weeks after getting it decided to play with it and see how far I got, and here I am, now wishing I spent more on the cooler, just didn't think i'd get a good chip. lol
    What's stopping you from getting a better cooler now? Or did you end up getting a better one and thus you hit 4.9? :P
    "A flower.

Name: Urbi-PC
    Processor: Intel Core i7 920 (Bloomfield)
    Clock:3.78GHz
    Voltage: 1.26 Vcore
    Cooler: Coolmaster V8
    Screenshot LINK: http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/3589/oc2r.jpg
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1974078
    Last edited by Urbi; 2011-08-29 at 07:30 PM. Reason: New Prime95 SS

Thanks to Amalisa for this great Sig!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbi View Post
    Name: Urbi-PC
    Processor: Intel Core i7 920 (Bloomfield)
    Clock:3.78GHz
    Voltage: 1.26 Vcore
    Cooler: Coolmaster V8
    Screenshot LINK: http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/8868/10406468.jpg
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1974078
    Don't take this as an attack on your pc/oc at all, but typically, when doing a Prime95 SS to show that your OC is stable, you want to have had Prime running for more than 2 seconds... Notice how mine was 17 hours, yeah that's a little overkill. 6 hours is a good amount, I just left mine going because I was sleeping/at work.
    "A flower.

Don't take this as an attack on your pc/oc at all, but typically, when doing a Prime95 SS to show that your OC is stable, you want to have had Prime running for more than 2 seconds... Notice how mine was 17 hours, yeah that's a little overkill. 6 hours is a good amount, I just left mine going because I was sleeping/at work.
    Np. I'll run it over night and then add the edit tomorrow.

Thanks to Amalisa for this great Sig!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnitronDefenseSystem View Post
    Name:
    Processor:Phenom II X6 1055T
    Clock:2800.1 MHZ! (I AM A PRO! .1 OVERCLOCK!)
    Voltage:1.416
    Cooler:Stock AMD
    Screenshot LINK: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...erclocked.png/
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1869223
    Wait.... it needed 1.4+volts to reach 2.8 GHz? PLEASE tell me that's just default...

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 05:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Urbi View Post
    Np. I'll run it over night and then add the edit tomorrow.
    Sweet deal! Watch it for like the first 20 minutes just to be sure your cooling is working properly and what-not, don't want it bursting into flames while you're asleep. Boy I'd feel shitty for being the one prodding you to do so. =/
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    not everyone fancies running a stability test for an entire day just to post up a picture on a forum, prime95 was to get a shot of your computer under load, for a start, depending on your settings the sandybridges drop down their multiplier to save energy etc, at no load mine runs 16x, so a cpu link/validate/picture of 16x .. doesn't look all that impressive

10+ Year Old Account
    i really hate prime95. imo it's one of the worst programs you can run on your computer, it was never originally intended to be a stability check, also, i've seen computers that crash instantly on prime95 run years without crashing otherwise, there is also the fact that when your cpu does crash after a few hours of prime95, it never really seems to be the same again, and is often degraded into crashing more often

this idea that an 8 hour prime95 run proves stability is crap, if your computer never crashes doing your daily tasks with it, does a prime95 run really matter? my personal idea of stability is that if you can run your computer under normal stress, ie gaming, folding, encoding, encrypting/decrypting, and no crashes occur, then it is stable

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i really hate prime95. imo it's one of the worst programs you can run on your computer, it was never originally intended to be a stability check, also, i've seen computers that crash instantly on prime95 run years without crashing otherwise, there is also the fact that when your cpu does crash after a few hours of prime95, it never really seems to be the same again, and is often degraded into crashing more often

this idea that an 8 hour prime95 run proves stability is crap, if your computer never crashes doing your daily tasks with it, does a prime95 run really matter? my personal idea of stability is that if you can run your computer under normal stress, ie gaming, folding, encoding, encrypting/decrypting, and no crashes occur, then it is stable
    /signed :P

i've often felt much the same, why try to make it unstable/prove it's stability if it works fine (though i have run a 6 hour prime before)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post

I think you have a document saved on your computer with this exact quote.. I swear I've seen it before!

I know how you feel about Prime95, as I recall tetrisgoat shares your sentiments, and I'm just more in the middle. I know it's not the best, but it's probably the better thing I have immediately available to me to use to push my CPU to pretty much max load. I just had a couple 20 minute long Prime95 custom tests pass and now I'm going to set it to blend and hit the bed. I think it's safe to say though I'm safe at 4.5!

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 07:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    not everyone fancies running a stability test for an entire day just to post up a picture on a forum, prime95 was to get a shot of your computer under load, for a start, depending on your settings the sandybridges drop down their multiplier to save energy etc, at no load mine runs 16x, so a cpu link/validate/picture of 16x .. doesn't look all that impressive
    That's why you validate when it is under load? >_> My CPU does the downclocking toooooo!

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 07:35 AM ----------

So I just ran the Windows Experience Index test assessment thing, and my CPU finally got bumped up to 7.7 from 7.6!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why you validate when it is under load? >_> My CPU does the downclocking toooooo!
    kinda my point, running prime 95 for this test was only to get cpuz to show your system under load, not to show off your stability, so if he onyl runs it for a minute that's long enough for the purposes of the thread

10+ Year Old Account
    What's stopping you from getting a better cooler now? Or did you end up getting a better one and thus you hit 4.9? :P
    Nope, still using my Hyper 212+. I've moved the computer down to the basement where the ambient is like 10C cooler than it was on the second floor, otherwise I wouldn't be able to push that OC. I'll probably get a better cooler down the road when I actually need the overclock to be any higher, if at 4.9 I'm not hitting close to max on Prime95, I left it for a couple hours and it ended up with an average temp of about 82C, I think I'll be ok gaming wise for a long time.

I'm still running it at just the 4.6 for everyday stuff, I haven't figured out how to get the board to lower to voltage when it's not under load if I set the vcore for the overclock. It only seems to lower the voltage when the vcore is set to auto, on these settings it will get under 1v idle, or 1.32 on load.
    Last edited by Sephiracle; 2011-08-29 at 11:58 AM.

holy shh... Your taskbar :|

I think you have a document saved on your computer with this exact quote.. I swear I've seen it before!

I know how you feel about Prime95, as I recall tetrisgoat shares your sentiments, and I'm just more in the middle. I know it's not the best, but it's probably the better thing I have immediately available to me to use to push my CPU to pretty much max load. I just had a couple 20 minute long Prime95 custom tests pass and now I'm going to set it to blend and hit the bed. I think it's safe to say though I'm safe at 4.5!
    Ehm, well.. After 4 hours of P95 I decided that it was stable. 2 hours into AC2, bam! BSOD -_-
    You would think that AC2 would last longer than P95.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-29 at 12:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

*16 GB RAM brofist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, my CPU has behaved strangely but I've never run Prime95 for extended (i.e. more than 30 mins) at a time because instability usually becomes apparent right away.

Cyanotical, if you hate it that much then what do you recommended for torture testing CPU to check for stability? I hear good things about Intel Burn...
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-08-29 at 01:01 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

So I just ran the Windows Experience Index test assessment thing, and my CPU finally got bumped up to 7.7 from 7.6!
    lolWEI
    You should try tweaking some more, looks like you have some headroom temperature and voltage wise (or your CPU could be like mine, and require a large jump in voltage to go above 4.4GHz, and with that large jump in voltage comes a large jump in temperatures )

I need to set my CPU to 5GHz again (I've booted successfully before @1.35V), run IBT or something and hope I can make a CPU-Z dump before it crashes (lasted about 30 seconds last time )
    (in all honesty though, I need a better CPU cooler if I want to push it further... temps start getting uncomfortably high once I start going above 4.4GHz right now since it's still summer)

Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    lolWEI
    You should try tweaking some more, looks like you have some headroom temperature and voltage wise (or your CPU could be like mine, and require a large jump in voltage to go above 4.4GHz, and with that large jump in voltage comes a large jump in temperatures )

I need to set my CPU to 5GHz again (I've booted successfully before @1.35V), run IBT or something and hope I can make a CPU-Z dump before it crashes (lasted about 30 seconds last time )
    (in all honesty though, I need a better CPU cooler if I want to push it further... temps start getting uncomfortably high once I start going above 4.4GHz right now since it's still summer)
    For me it's 1.3V for 4.5GHz, but when I want to go to 4.6 I need 1.38+V (haven't really tested how much exactly). Imo the extra current and temps are not worth the minimal gain. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe I just have a strange chip :P
    I'm going to look into it when I have more time, probably in a few weeks.

Well from what I've read, it seems that's common for Sandy Bridge CPUs (or all CPUs for all I know... I've only ever overclocked on my 2500k) you typically can run on stock voltages (or close to stock) up to a certain point, then you'll need a larger bump in voltages... and it will run on close to that voltage up to a second, higher speed, where you'll then need another large bump in voltages to go higher. On my CPU it's going from 4.1->4.2GHz; 4.4-4.5Ghz; and 4.7->4.8Ghz that take much larger jumps in voltage than going in between those ranges