Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How to apply thermal paste?

Ok, so seem lots of different methods of applying thermal paste/compound to your CPU +/ Cooler/Heatsink. Including where people apply it to the base of the cooler/heatsink, rather than the CPU itself.

1) Dot
    2) Single Line
    3) Dual Line
    4) Square
    5) Cross (X)
    6) Sqaure + Cross
    7) Other?

The question is which method do YOU use AND WHY?

Simply posting saying X method is better, is of no use to anyone.

I also understand that different methods apparntly work better with different chips, so for this we will assume that the chip in question is a quad core.

EDIT: I think a few people are misunderstsanding me....

I'm not asking how you think I should apply it, I'm asking how and why YOU apply it. and if you have seen any difference in tempreature as a result of applying it a particular way.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-06-15 at 09:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dot in the middle and squish it down with firm pressure on circular heat sinks.
    Spread for square heatsinks.
    For direct contact heatpipes, I use a spread method, and put a VERY ginger amount in the cracks on the heatsink it's self.

applying a dot in the middle of the cpu. it spreads when you push it into the slot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hold the syringe with paste 10 feet away, press real hard... hope it hits.

I use IC Diamond thermal compound. I do as the instructions tell me to do:

Squeeze onto the center of the CPU an amount of IC Diamond compound about the size of a pea (5.0mm to 5.5mm) on the center of the CPU where most heat is concentrated. Place the heat sink on the CPU and press it down to spread IC Diamond over the CPU's surface, (Do not remove the sink to check the spread as it will introduce air into the joint). Clamp the heat sink and power up the PC.

http://www.innovationcooling.com/app...structions.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kosuko View Post
    Hold the syringe with paste 10 feet away, press real hard... hope it hits.
    Did you really get trying to pee in the sink and applying thermal paste to a CPU mixed up?

I've heard dot in the middle is the best, and the reason(s) why make sense.

Edit:

The excess TIM for each gap gets displaced as you let gravity do its thing, whereas the "required" amount should hold steady.
    Last edited by Yohassakura; 2011-06-15 at 09:57 AM.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

I made a dot in the middle, and then spread the paste with a sponge to make an even layer on the CPU then to put the heat-sink on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakEyy View Post
    I made a dot in the middle, and then spread the paste with a sponge to make an even layer on the CPU then to put the heat-sink on it.
    Interesting.... why a sponge and not a card?

10+ Year Old Account
    A dot is fine, it's just there to make sure their is even contact between both parts. The odds of it not finding the low spots on what are essentially two perfectly flat things held together under pressure are pretty slim.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use a card which I got from Coolmaster and spread the paste with that.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always use Intel "boxed" processors with no thermal paste (there's graphite layer on cooler's contact surface) for 12 years now. Works fine. It's ~70C at full load in my current setup, just a bit higher than my 2XSLI of 560s (at full load too).

I used thermal paste just once, after taking the cooler off for some reason - graphite layer was screwed, so used the paste.
    I had it spread evenly on CPU's contact surface using a plastic card. Didn't see any difference in temps though.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2011-06-15 at 09:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a few people are misunderstsanding me....

I'm not asking how you think I should apply it, I'm asking how and why YOU apply it. and if you have seen any difference in tempreature as a result of applying it a particular way.

(Also updating first post with this.)

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    I always use Intel "boxed" processors with no thermal paste (there's graphite layer on cooler's contact surface) for 12 years now. Works fine. It's ~70C at full load in my current setup, just a bit higher than my 2XSLI of 560s (at full load too).

I used thermal paste just once, after taking the cooler off for some reason - graphite layer was screwed, so used the paste.
    I had it spread evenly on CPU's contact surface using a plastic card. Didn't see any difference in temps though.
    NOPE. Not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    NOPE. Not happening.
    Agreed. I built my sandybridge build start of january. And when i could get my b3 revision board and switched it all over. I noticed the pre thermal paste intel supply had dried up almost in about 1 and half months of use.

Decent thermal paste is needed for sure.

Deleted
    Applied mine yesterday, I used the cheap method of Blob in the middle, plastic wrapper around finger, and rub it around evenly :>

10+ Year Old Account
    I just (wrongly) covered the whole cpu in paste. Kinda went overboard with it though, as it got pretty messy. That being said, my temperature is always around 30C. Having no problems with heat whatsoever.

You're supposed to use the Dot method though, as it will spread out on the part where it's needed. (So now I know what to do the next time!)

It is not necessary to cover the whole CPU/heat spreader. Because most of the heat is concentrated around the core area which is at the center. Hence the center of the CPU is more important.
    Last edited by Revelations; 2011-06-15 at 10:59 AM.

I'd say the dot method. I used the cross method, but I realized it was unnecessary when I saw there was only a circular spot of copper on the heatsink...

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseuk View Post
    Agreed. I built my sandybridge build start of january. And when i could get my b3 revision board and switched it all over. I noticed the pre thermal paste intel supply had dried up almost in about 1 and half months of use.

Decent thermal paste is needed for sure.
    It's not a paste. It's a graphite. It's DRY from the beginning. My current rig works for half a year now. No increase in temp since the beginning.

Thermal paste is not needed, unless it IS needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    It's not a paste. It's a graphite. It's DRY from the beginning. My current rig works for half a year now. No increase in temp since the beginning.

Thermal paste is not needed, unless it IS needed.
    You're clearly not going "at full load" if you're not going at too high temps. >>

Small dot in the middle, no spreading, and this is why: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...mpound/1303/10