Poll: Why has Rock and Metal been replaced by Rap and Pop?

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Oh, you think that one's bad?
    Hip Hop/Rap stars have been doing metal music from the early days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGIA1hgaqis

It's probably all about profit. In another five or ten years rock might be back on top. It's hard for a big music company to keep people interested if they don't vary their output, but if they cycle between genres every few years then they can keep people's attention without putting much effort into their musical production.

Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    I think it's because people can connect with the lyrics in rap sometimes. With pop I think people just like the atmosphere it generates, something fun you can listen and dance to.

I love all kinds of music, rock included, but I can't stand metal. To me they are screaming utter shit down a microphone as loud as they can, how am I suppose to connect to the song or appreciate the lyrics?
    Something you need to keep in mind is that different genres are great for different things. If I want to absorb some deep and intelligent lyricism, I turn to CunningLynguists, Atmosphere, Deltron 3030, Immortal Technique, Mos Def, Common, etc. If I want to immerse myself in soundscapes, I'll turn to post-rock and post-metal, or Agalloch. If I want to hear musicians playing straight up quality music, I'll listen to Opeth. If I feel like getting pumped up, I'll listen to a lot of death metal.

---------- Post added 2011-07-04 at 01:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Hip Hop/Rap stars have been doing metal music from the early days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGIA1hgaqis
    There's a big difference in what you posted and what I posted. Huge!

I always love how some people draw their identity from one type of music and berate anyone who thinks different. What is so wrong with liking multiple types of music? I like a varied music selection from metal to hip hop to classical to techno. I dont like all songs in a genre but I listen to what I like.

15+ Year Old Account
    Rap, pop, and hip-hop is all sell-out and cookie-cutter now'adays. they don't do it for the love of the music like rappers did in the 80's and rarely do many of these guys have a message to send like they did in the 80's or 90's (rap lyrics that reflect positivity).

i grew up on both 90's rap and 90's grunge. listen to Tupac and Pharcyde then turn around and blast Presidents of the United States of America or Tom Petty or Deftones.

my taste in music has evolved and craves screamo (skramz), sometimes metal, sometimes i wanna just hear ambient or avant-garde or maybe some power-violence.

anyway, when it comes down to the indie and DIY scene, if you keep up with punk, emotive, etc, you realize that these bands are still doing this shit for the pure love of the music, raw emotion. they could almost care less if they make a dime, as long as their music, face and name gets out there. these bands make unbelievable music and sometimes live and die with an extremely small fan-base, it's pretty tragic.

rap, hip-hop, pop, all in it for the image and the money. (the artist doesn't count as pop if they do one pop song and the rest of their album is soul or w/e)
    Last edited by msdos; 2011-07-04 at 08:48 PM.

Deleted
    Nowadays its really hard for a small band to make it big since all the music pirating going on, small band could barely survive before but nowadays its just impossible. I mean look how Black sabbath ,AC/DC, beatles, motorhead and many other started, they could just about make a living out of it and it was there full time job.So only the lack of money when you begin limitates the amount of band that are spending enough time playing so they can make something good out of it add to this that you need actual talent to play rock unlike pop/rap and ... you get the idea.
    Not to mention that in terms of art ( not only music but also movies,painting,cloth designing... etc ) there is a tendency since about 20 years ago for it to get worse every year, i don't think i ever saw a movie to match the godfather or forrest gump yet the producer have much more money and much better technology at the time.
    So music might just be following the "trend" that all the other arts are... just sain

15+ Year Old Account
    Alone on the mountainside, breathing the clearest winds...

Band normally has a bit too much electronica in it, but I just love the piano in this song. To those who say they can't stand screaming, trust me it is an acquired taste. (One that unnecessary for you to cultivate, should you feel no need) When I was 16 I loved bands like Slayer and Pantera, couldn't stand the Growling of Death Metal vocals. Things have changed. Anyway, I am a fan of music of all types. I literally guarantee you can find SOMETHING you like in every genre, even if it is only a song or two. Whether the search is worth the time is more of a personal matter.

Really the only things I can't at least respect are the corporate made super bands. Music being made only for money just has no soul.

because we like to dance, shake and move our bodies to the beat down til sun comes up. all night inside (or outside) with shiny glowsticks, girls in slutty outfits and lots of alcohol/mdma.

you can't dance to metal. all you do is rock your head back n forth, its boring. i love metal but got out of that when I turned 18. i don't think its a stupid genre. techno producers put just as much effort, love and soul into their tracks that your precious metal guitarists do. just because he is standing at a turntable instead of standing with a guitar doesn't mean it has no soul. go watch a video of electric daisy carnival and you'll see loads of emotion, it is not robotic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    There's a big difference in what you posted and what I posted. Huge!
    Lil Wayne released a 'rock' album, and Ice T worked with top heavy metal artist to make a crossover album. Its the difference of 1990 vs 2009

no new good metal bands.. imagine the newest band that is worth to headline a festival.. uhm.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. There is absolutely no way to correctly assume that "liking" any type of music is linked to how intelligent a person is.

There is not a single fact in anything you said.

Enjoy your slipknot noise sir.
    Slipknot=Nu Metal, which isn't proper Metal.

I wish there were more genre mix songs, like the old Run DMC/Aerosmith song "Walk This Way", or anything by Skindred (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNmKftT50GE), or even Get Up by Korn/Skrillex

We need more artists willing to mix, imo genre mixing songs creates a unique sound when done right.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Hair bands are not cool anymore

Deleted
    Because we're on the right way to put Trip-hop/electric in the center of attention.
    Everyone should chillout to trip hop

The definition of pop is a little iffy. You can have "pop" elements, typically characterized as short song length, ABABCB song structure and catchy choruses being the center point of the songs, but at the same time you can't write "pop" music without it being distinctly something else (like how GaGa is dance music).

The definition is further muddled by genres with superlatives added in like dream pop, noise pop, baroque pop, chamber pop, psychedelic pop, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfurion View Post
    because we like to dance, shake and move our bodies to the beat down til sun comes up. all night inside (or outside) with shiny glowsticks, girls in slutty outfits and lots of alcohol/mdma.

you can't dance to metal. all you do is rock your head back n forth, its boring. i love metal but got out of that when I turned 18. i don't think its a stupid genre. techno producers put just as much effort, love and soul into their tracks that your precious metal guitarists do. just because he is standing at a turntable instead of standing with a guitar doesn't mean it has no soul. go watch a video of electric daisy carnival and you'll see loads of emotion, it is not robotic.
    Apparently you've never moshed before. Sure it's not dancing, but it's definitely better, especially if you're white. Sorry, white kids can't dance.
    You better herp yourself before you derp yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcaptn View Post
    Different generation, I'm 31 & still listening to metal, death, rock whatever but kids these days listen to rap, dance, techno ect. Back in the 70s I guess it was country?
    Didn't rap appear at the end of the 70's ?

Here,got a source,taken from wikipedia:

"Hip hop began in the South Bronx of New York City in the 1970s."

I've been a metalhead for a long time. Once in a while a song comes around that I absolutely love that isn't metal. Currently I'm only at one rap song that I actually like:

As for other non-metal, the denied hipster inside of me absolutely LOVES Cherry Ghost.

I love some Drum and Bass as well, I listen to it when I'm hyper and want a good beat that I can easily follow with the possibility of vocals.

When it comes to metal, I like almost everything that is devoid of clean vocals, with the exception of VERY few bands which have exceptional vocalists that can perform adequately with clean vocals (mainly Scar Symmetry, I liked the old vocalist a lot, but the new pair is still very good, and Solution .45, which has the same vocalist as old Scar Symmetry). My absolute favorite band is Eluveitie (only band I own a shirt for, two in fact), which is considered on the very edge of Folk Metal. The only metal I really detest most of the time is black metal. I don't know why, I just can never get into the music. I also love very heavy/rhythmic instrumental metal, ala Equilibrium's Mana, and a good bit of Whispered's Blade in the Snow (Japanese Samurai metal!? o.o)

Can't leave without linking some metal!

- i7 2600k@4489.91Mhz - 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper @ 1867 Mhz - Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 - 2X EVGA GTX580 SC SLi - Corsair AX1200W - Antec Kuhler 920 - Vertex 3 120GB SSD + Spinpoint F3 1TB - Bitfenix Colossus Window -

Quote Originally Posted by Spondoo View Post
    Apparently you've never moshed before. Sure it's not dancing, but it's definitely better, especially if you're white. Sorry, white kids can't dance.
    Numerous dance contest shows beg to differ.