Page 1 of 29
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Weapon of Choice

If you were in a medieval setting and had to pick a weapon of choice to train with as you become a knight, what would you pick?

No cultural limitations (you can have a Katana even though there were no Katana's in Europe)

Don't pick through strategic viability, pick through what you would want to use.

No weaponry that wasn't available during the medieval age (no firearms)

And, by knight i simply mean trained soldier.

Now, my pick, would definitely be the weapons that Axel wields in Kingdom Hearts
    there called "Wind-and-fire wheels" and originate from China
    traditionally, they look like this

But, i prefer the version Axel has

Call me a nerd, but i love weaponry. so, post away if so inclinded

a double bladed swallow. if you've played chrono cross, basically the kind of weapon serge uses. i like the way staves/spears feel when holding them, lots of ways to move them and block/parry as well. (description from wikipedia) "a combination of two wide, curved blades on opposite ends of a pole resembling the tail feathers of a common bird".

Deleted
    A scimitar or hanzo, just feels so awesome and looks so awesome ^^'

Props on the swallow. My personal choice would be a pair of tonfa. If it wasn't physically impossible, bladed tonfa like Talim uses. But hey, I'd take a regular set. Bigger weapons are harder to block and parry with, the closer your opponent gets.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    I well balanced sword?
    Seeing as none of these are remotely practical in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    I well balanced sword?
    Seeing as none of these are remotely practical in combat.
    Neither is what people think the sword was actually used for, in medieval combat. Wasn't even sharp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spear. It has the range and utility of a staff, and you can poke squishy things with it. ^^
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

i could see how wind and fire wheels wouldnt be practical, but how would the double bladed swallow not be? it has range and 2 potential kill points. also the OP says dont pick based on strategic viability :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Neither is what people think the sword was actually used for, in medieval combat. Wasn't even sharp.
    "important" people had sharp swords, but most of the commoner fighters didn't have a way of sharpening their weapons, so they would get dull from so much use.

On topic, either a sexy spear or a hand claw thing. (Fist weapon)
    Preferably both. ^.^

also another edit - a lot of weapons may not seem practical, but you'd be surprised. Dagger? It's an incredibly small weapon, why bother using a dagger over a sword?

Flail? Far too random with little defensive capabilities by itself.

On the useful side, daggers are pro. Speed and stealth. Flails are great because they can go behind the enemy and hit their back when they have a shield up. They can also wrap around the enemies weapon and disarm them.

Spears are a long pointy stick, not a great idea since it has long range, but can't be used effectively short range. If someone gets in close, you're dead. On the other hand, spears are very effective against people on horses, they are decent throwing weapons and (as said before) they have decent range.
    Last edited by pomop; 2011-04-29 at 01:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    TOXOPLASMA PARASITES ARE RUINING THE GAME!!!!!!
    Blizz needs to stop nerfing the game based on people wiith toxoplasma parasites!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pomop View Post
    "important" people had sharp swords, but most of the commoner fighters didn't have a way of sharpening their weapons, so they would get dull from so much use.

On topic, either a sexy spear or a hand claw thing. (Fist weapon)
    Preferably both. ^.^
    On the contrary. Important people had more of an edge to their weapon to cleave through armor as a wedge. But it really did more crushing damage than it did anything else. A dagger was more useful at killing people, if you could get in for the kill.

Spears are pretty badass. I just know that I'd have a lot of difficulty using one to its potential.

i could see how wind and fire wheels wouldnt be practical, but how would the double bladed swallow not be? it has range and 2 potential kill points. also the OP says dont pick based on strategic viability :P
    Again, the closer your are, the harder it is to actually use it to its effectiveness. Range and reach don't always work in your advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksarmar View Post
    Definitely a bow! I've done archery a couple times and loved it. But its probably a little disturbing that the whole time I pictured myself running through a forest, hunting an orc :/
    i love bows also. i dont practice much, and dont mean to sound like a bragging doucher but my aim is actually fairly decent. i dont like compound bows though

10+ Year Old Account
    something that LOOKED like Rebelion od the Sword of Spada (from DMC)

10+ Year Old Account
    a bow, especially being able to fire one on horseback

10+ Year Old Account
    just for looks/coolness, throwing knives + chain-whip.

Deleted
    Is great balls of fire! (lets se if anyone gets this)

Id want to be a fury warrior with two 20 foot pikes.
    In honest a bow with a quiver of arrows.

Hanzo sword <3
    Get down, do you?

Do lightsabers count? No? Boo.

Guess I'd go for a nice composite bow then.

Deleted
    A Longbow and arrows.

Best range and power of an infantry weapon. Also because I'm British and that's what we were reknowned for

10+ Year Old Account
    Do shields count? cause i'd rather have a car-door sized shield to slam you in the face with