Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does anyone still play the drain life affliction or use drain life

I was wondering if anyone still play the drain life spec with affliction, and how well is it fairing against the shadow bolt affliction warlock and how resent have you use it as well as logs if possible?

Quote Originally Posted by murdax View Post
    I was wondering if anyone still play the drain life spec with affliction, and how well is it fairing against the shadow bolt affliction warlock and how resent have you use it as well as logs if possible?
    DL filler is beyond dead.

Yep, Sbolt filler has far surpassed DL filler.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can play drain life filler... its called PVP

eventhough with the current state of warlocks you'll most likely use fear as a filller :/

Nope.

I only use DL to get some quick HP.

Deleted
    The 25% reduction to Drain Life in 4.1 hotfix's essentially killed the DL filler. It already required a very low latency connection to be competitive to Shadowbolt and the nerf knocked it down.

10+ Year Old Account
    i only use drainlife if i get low hp and i'm pretty sure i'll die in the next 2 sec if i dont drain some life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Might as well use Incinerate Affliction. They don't intend for DL to be used anymore so its not worth using, they killed it with the nerf and the tier bonus not being activated by it. Just use it as a utility/save my life spell like others are suggesting and spam shadowbolt

Quote Originally Posted by jahrastafari View Post
    dl filler is beyond dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kosuko View Post
    you can play drain life filler... Its called pvp
    Quote Originally Posted by aeiri View Post
    might as well use incinerate affliction
    "HURR DURR I'M BAD"

Quote Originally Posted by murdax View Post
    Just simmed DL spec and it seems to be ~1700 DPS beyond SB spec. But it's still better than destro.
    I've also noticed that for some reason DL doesn't affect Shadow Bite. So the actual difference is even less.

I use the Shadow Bolt filler spec.. HOWEVER..

Drain life is still a useful spell.

There's the obvious use, healing yourself, but that's not what I'm talking about. Drain life still refreshes Corruption. Think about Shannox for example, you have 3 targets to attack. You can refresh ONE target with haunt, but what about the other two? You could cast Corruption to refresh it, or you could cast Drain Life to refresh it and do damage in the process.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koishi View Post

"HURR DURR I'M BAD"

Just simmed DL spec and it seems to be ~1700 DPS beyond SB spec. But it's still better than destro.
    I've also noticed that for some reason DL doesn't affect Shadow Bite. So the actual difference is even less.
    I would LOVE to see the sims that prove this. Blizz has stated DL is NOT intended as the filler, and will take measures to make sure it's not viable. Every competent sim I've seen no longer even mentions DL as a viable spec.

Heroic progression raider. Incapable of using Saran Wrap.

see the thing you all are not getting is useing DL to get life back in pvp or when low in pve and the fact of it being a filler are two different things a filler is a ability you use when nothing else needs to be cast not well im low life now i need to cast it. that and i totally agree with aedail if you sim something and wanna say its possible post the sim or else its just talk with no action but blizzard have made it clear DL filler in pve isnt top dps that SB is
    Last edited by Tickboompain; 2011-07-19 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tickboompain View Post
    see the thing you all are not getting is useing DL to get life back in pvp or when low in pve and the fact of it being a filler are two different things a filler is a ability you use when nothing else needs to be cast not well im low life now i need to cast it. that and i totally agree with aedail if you sim something and wanna say its possible post the sim or else its just talk with no action but blizzard have made it clear DL filler in pve isnt top dps that SB is
    Can somebody translate Facebook > English on this for me?

I only use it if I need a bit of health. Typically don't have to use it in PvE, so I only really use it in PvP depending on the situation. The damage that shadow bolts pump out compared to drain life is just too valuable.

Will ALWAYS be viable in PvP.

What is PvE?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koishi View Post
    Dont you mean behind SB? Makes sense, really. The filler is not the main form of Afflic DPS, and DL, unlike Shadow Bolt, is affected by mastery (I think?).

Can anyone sim the mastery level needed for Drain Life to pass Shadowbolt (If it affects DL at all)

Interesting to note that DL does not affect Shadow Bite. If it did, the difference would indeed be less. So, DL filler is still viable. Bring to progression? No. Bring for funs/self heal? Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

I used DL as a filler when i was Solo on Rohash's platform in ToT4w ^_^ does that count?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tween View Post
    I used DL as a filler when i was Solo on Rohash's platform in ToT4w ^_^ does that count?
    Hehe me to and on Chimereon to help out the healers :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Interesting to note that DL does not affect Shadow Bite. If it did, the difference would indeed be less. So, DL filler is still viable. Bring to progression? No. Bring for funs/self heal? Yes

It affected it on my sim.

adding the line:
    actions+=/drain_life,if=pet.felhunter.cooldown.shadow_bite.remains<2

makes me only lose ~10 personal dps, but increases my pets dps by ~300
    going a bit further switching the default sim from soulburning soul fire to

actions+=/soulburn,if=buff.demon_soul_felhunter.up
    actions+=/drain_life,if=pet.felhunter.cooldown.shadow_bite.remains<1
    actions+=/drain_life,if=pet.felhunter.cooldown.shadow_bite.remains<2&buff.soulburn.down

net me 1 extra dps over the default profile.
    going even further and making it so it only uses drain life during demon soul using:

actions+=/soulburn,if=buff.demon_soul_felhunter.up
    actions+=/drain_life,if=pet.felhunter.cooldown.shadow_bite.remains<1&buff.demon_soul_felhunter.up
    actions+=/drain_life,if=pet.felhunter.cooldown.shadow_bite.remains<2&buff.demon_soul_felhunter.up,bu ff.soulburn.down

increased the default profiles dps by 43

So, overall drain life might not be as good as shadowbolt as a normal filler but it can still be used for its main purpose (healing) without too much of a loss, and if your feeling really fancy using it before shadowbite during demon soul is actually a DPS increase.