Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    I am Brazilian and I live in the United States and I play wow since vanilla.

The worst thing about it all is that it clearly shows that Brazilians do not admire their own language...

The reason for all this disappointment is not about how it sounds or how it should be named. It's just because Brazilians have been raised in a country where people don't give a shit about their own culture.

Just think about it for a moment...

Brazilians grew up watching american movies, playing american games, listening to american songs and drinking coke all day long. You end up thinking that GARROSH GRITO INFERNAL is bad, but Brazilians don't realize they have famous names in their own history like that... (Just think about "TIRADENTES" or "MARIA BONITA" ok?)

Ventobravo is LOL? Why? I do know real cities called:
    - Flora Rica (SP)
    - Ilha Comprida (SP)
    - Ilhabela (SP)
    - Serra Azul (SP)
    - Serra Negra (SP)
    - Água Boa (MG)
    - Águas Vermelhas (MG)
    - Águas Formosas (MG)
    - Cabo Frio (RJ)
    - Rio Bonito (RJ)
    - Rio Claro (RJ/SP)
    - etc....

What is so wrong with Ventobravo? Nothing, just you.

This is a fantasy game hence I believe almost everything can be translated / adapted.
    It's just a shame to see Brazilians not realizing what Blizzard is doing for them.

Dbutcher nailed it. I am totally installing the language pack and playing it. And hey, thanks for the cheaper subscription and all the love Blizzard.

Síndrome de vira-lata.
    Last edited by Inst; 2011-07-23 at 03:16 PM.

Totally agree with Dbutcher! Most of the people complaining can't even see they own culture! The given names on the games possible are inspired on indian culture (which btw we are one of the countries with the greatest indian people)...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbutcher View Post
    What is so wrong with Ventobravo? Nothing, just you.
    Until you live in vacuum and never consult any site to have information, it's fine.
    But as soon as you need to look something on wowhead or wowwiki, you realize that you need to translate "Ventobravo" in English to find any kind of useful information, and you translation could not be perfect.
    Example (disclaimer: I don't speak Portuguese so I assume that "Curse of Agony" is translated into "Maldição do Agonia"): How do you translate it back into English to look on Wowwiki what it does? "Malediction of Throe"? "Damn of Death Struggle"? Or the correct "Curse of Agony" immediately?

I live in a non English speaking EU country, and since I started playing PnP RPG in early 80s, I never bought handbooks translated in my language, as it makes too hard to obtain any kind of useful information from English sources (Dragon and Dungeon magazines for D&D for example).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetzirah View Post
    Until you live in vacuum and never consult any site to have information, it's fine.
    But as soon as you need to look something on wowhead or wowwiki, you realize that you need to translate "Ventobravo" in English to find any kind of useful information, and you translation could not be perfect.
    Example (disclaimer: I don't speak Portuguese so I assume that "Curse of Agony" is translated into "Maldição do Agonia"): How do you translate it back into English to look on Wowwiki what it does? "Malediction of Throe"? "Damn of Death Struggle"? Or the correct "Curse of Agony" immediately?
    It is impossible to make most translations convey both the meaning of every word and the meaning of the entire expression. The problem you are alluding to is more about:

1. the limits of machine translation
    2. the limited understanding of linguistics and translation among laypersons (why do people think direct translations are good ideas???)
    and
    3. the volume of information on wow available in a given language and how easily it can be found.

1 and 2 aren't changing overnight but 3 is one area where Brazilian Portuguese is relatively strong. Who knows, maybe wowhead will have Portuguese available from its dropdown language menu once WoW is released in Portuguese. That would be pretty cool.

On another note, fantastic post by dbutcher, thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Yetzirah View Post

I live in a non English speaking EU country, and since I started playing PnP RPG in early 80s, I never bought handbooks translated in my language, as it makes too hard to obtain any kind of useful information from English sources (Dragon and Dungeon magazines for D&D for example).
    This is not a problem of translation and not even a problem of Blizzard. Wowhead and wowwiki are Curse's problems and if they can't deliver content translated at the same pace as Blizzard, you can't blame Blizzard for that.

Brazilians grew up watching american movies, playing american games, listening to american songs and drinking coke all day long. You end up thinking that GARROSH GRITO INFERNAL is bad, but Brazilians don't realize they have famous names in their own history like that... (Just think about "TIRADENTES" or "MARIA BONITA" ok?)
    Joaquim José da Silva Xavier, The Tiradentes.
    Maria Gomes de Oliveira, TheMaria Bonita.
    Hellscream is the family name, not his title or nickname.

Edit: Do you hear people translating Lula's name? Luis Inácio "Squid" da Silva.

------------------------------

Edit: Wowhead has a Language option that shows what the name is in another language. ( Upper right)
    Stormwind
    Ventormenta (Español)
    Sturmwind (Dutch)
    Hurlevent (French)

Oh sh-, they all translated Garrosh's surname.
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=39605
    So, err ... BRs doing the same thing as everyone else...everyone is f-ed up.
    Last edited by Girlyman; 2011-07-24 at 02:04 PM.

Deleted
    bump

---------- Post added 2011-07-24 at 08:26 PM ----------

bump

Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman View Post

Is Garrosh Hellscream a real historic figure?

He is as real as Daffy Duck (Patolino), Uncle Scrooge (Tio Patinhas), or Goofy (Pateta), Rogue from X-Men (Vampira), Storm (Tempestade), Strider from Lord of the Rings (Passolargo), or even Middle Earth (Terra Media) and Shire (Condado). All very popular cases where names of characters and places were translated,, some completely different from the original meaning.

See? People don't even know what a surname is, and yet share with us their "competent" opinions on translation...

Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman View Post

You clearly didn't read my entire post.
    I'll post again...

"This is a fantasy game hence I believe almost everything can be translated / adapted."

Real names of real people can't be translated. This is fantasy game that was created not based on real history and it was not tied to a specific language.

You clearly didn't read my entire post.
    I'll post again...

"This is a fantasy game hence I believe almost everything can be translated / adapted."

Real names of real people can't be translated. This is fantasy game that was created not based on real history and it was not tied to a specific language.
    I did read, but I can see that I misunderstood the point you were trying to make in the previus quoted post.
    Oh, well.

----------
    Edit PS: Greymane is still Greymane when that name has already been translated in all the other versions.
    Last edited by Girlyman; 2011-07-25 at 01:34 AM.

wow there planing to make 2 expansions for diablo3 sick!