Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    the problem with gta4 is not steam its that god aweful social club thats causing you problems. this happens loads and delayed my completion of the game for almost a week cause the social club was down. Your choices are to go online and get the hack to remove the social club or wait for it to come back up

Quote Originally Posted by Olgierd View Post
    Today:

Attempt 1: "Whoopsie doopsie, can't connect your account".
    - Try to sign in to Steampowered.com = "Whoopsie doopsie, you need to enter TEH CODE OF UBAR AWESOME CUZ ITS BEEN A WHILE HERP DERP"
    - OK, fine, code entered, my account has indeed NOT been stolen by leet haksors, let's be happy about that shall we!
    - Fuck it, reboot.

Attempt 2: Steam signs in, but "Whoopsie doopsie, TEH GMAE IS CURENTLY UNAVAILABLE HERP DERP"
    - What game you ask? That would be GTA fucking IV. A single-player offline game, unless you count the abortion that is Social Club.
    - Of course, Steaminpileofshit.com has instructions half a page long on how to fix it. Question is, why do I need to fix it if it ran just bloody fine yesterday?

Bottom line: FUCK YOU STEAM. You were a goddamn abortion when you were first implemented, and you still are. Fuck you, and fuck your ET PHONE HOME functionality.
    Problem identified.

Really though, the 9 year old program that's been through more fixes then your current car isn't to blame. 'Specially when you don't have the patience to see what the problem is yourself.

My one complaint with Steam, though, like a lot of people in this thread? Probably needs to be optimized better. Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I literally just tested this, unplugged internet, went into offline after the internet was disconnected, it prompted me to restart steam in offline mode, I did, opened up portal 2, and was able to play.
    Also this. Most games have an Offline mode, even with Origin. The only games/system that don't are Xbox 360 Arcade games for whatever reason.

But in case you missed the memo or you skipped down to the end because tldr: Most games have an Offline Mode.
    Last edited by Typhron; 2011-07-27 at 02:54 PM.
    LoLtumblr |
    derpderpderp

Quote Originally Posted by Typhron View Post
    My one complaint with Steam, though, like a lot of people in this thread? Probably needs to be optimized better. Probably.
    My one complaint is it needs better support for multiple hards drives or solid state drives

15+ Year Old Account
    Only thing I hate is I can't play games offline.

"Cannot connect to Steam account"
    *Play Offline*
    "Cannot connect to steam account"

Deleted
    I like steam, and don't have nearly as much issue getting online.

You're doing it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    My one complaint is it needs better support for multiple hards drives or solid state drives
    I can agree on this. Somewhat.
    LoLtumblr |
    derpderpderp

I like steam, tho i remember i was worrying when it come out and had to switch from CS1,5 to CS1,6, but not its good.
    I like game platforms where u can track achievement, talk with friends, wtb battle.net client lol. Only one thing that i dont like, besides special sales, games are too expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    The other part is legitimate (though done in a very immature way). Forcing you to log into an online account to play an offline game is rather lame.

I disagree, the reason you need to be able to connect is how do you expect Steam to authenticate the game? Essentially you could just install the game and pass it off to anyone and everyone and they wouldn't have to buy it. You have to be able to connect so Steam can verify you own the game your trying to launch that came from them.

---------- Post added 2011-07-27 at 09:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post

You're doing it wrong?
    Exactly. The only time Ive had an issue with Steam, mind you Ive had a Steam account since CS: Condition Zero, was with this recent Summer Sale where download servers were literally unavailable.

15+ Year Old Account
    I use steam since Half-Life 2 came out (which was also when Steam came out). Never had ANY problem at all with it (besides not being able to activate games on release day because of server overloads). The OPs computer/account is probably compromised.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    I use steam since Half-Life 2 came out (which was also when Steam came out).

Steam was out before Half Life 2 FYI, it was even out before CS: Condition Zero, but not long before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%28software%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2

Steam sucked when it first came out. (I was a hater, WON all the way!)

now it's pretty awesome

steam sucks. when it first came out it was buggy as shit, failed to load games, failed to update games, failed to load the steam gui, etc. now it still does some of those things while still being poorly optimized. But probably the worst part of Steam isn't the fact that the software is turdlicious, but the DRM that steam impliments.

also, offline mode can eat my ass, i've never had that work properly without first connecting to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I literally just tested this, unplugged internet, went into offline after the internet was disconnected, it prompted me to restart steam in offline mode, I did, opened up portal 2, and was able to play.

Becuase you were allready connected to the internet, i didnt have my laptop or pc on 24/7 back in the day.

Deleted
    Wow, the way you type really REALLY annoys me!

Yikes. If you don't like Steam and haven't since it's been first implemented, why are you still using it?
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

Deleted
    Steam isn't my cup of tea either

Steam is pretty good and never gave many issues, altough 'game not being avaliable' and having to go 'offline' mode is a pain in the ass.. it also offers good stuff to make up for it, like patching/repairing broken games on demand, saving from a whole reinstall to fix something small as.. your sound being messed in L4D.
    Next time get a Win.Live version of the game, haven't had an issue yet, if you're offline if conects as offline and vice versa, takes literally nothing to manually switch them on and off from inside the game, etc.

I've had a couple problems but were easy to fix, can't go wrong with those awesome holiday sales! All in all I've saved probably $1000 so it affords them a couple minor hiccups.

Also if you don't like em, buy the hard copy of the game.

I've had Steam since I can remember. If you can't drive, don't operate a car.
    - wyrd bið ful aræd -

I know many that couldn't when they should because they didn't want when they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Does it? I don't play it so I don't know. I just remember a thread on here a while ago about forcing you to log in to online accounts to play games offline.
    it does... most games have achivements now, seems you have to be online to get them
    starcraft 2 makes you log in to the battle.net account
    "There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
    — Patrick Rothfuss (The Kingkiller Chronicle)