Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    I think it has more to do with pride than anything else. People with much pride are usually the ones who are too "good" to do stuff. People with a lot of pride are usually douchebags as well, so it correlates.

Wow...
    You guys talk here like you're superior to everyone... Geez
    Get real, these people are not stupid (or atleast you don't know that). You're assessing someone's intelligence level by how he's portrayed in a show... (are you sure you're smart?)
    Some people here say they wish they could be oblivious and stupid like them... lol wtf? Are you for real? You don't even know these people, how they are in real life, you just see a show which is basically nothing. What you see on the show is what the director wants you to see.
    You can have high IQ and do exactly what they do, it's you choice. How smart you are has really nothing to do with how much fun you have in your life, and if it does then being smart means you will have more fun than a dumb person, because you understand what you do, and you can worry less, because you do what you must (get by in life: school, make money, talk to people - women for that matter) easily.

lol, they are bad roll models and should never have been able to make a nice living from this show. seriously, would you really call your best friend hey "the situation" coming over for dinner with my wife tonight. i know i wouldn't its stupid and made up for people to get hooked on non-reality reality TV. most reality tv ironically is fake. also, if they didnt get this show, they couldnt afford to live that way, instead the situation would be changing my cars oil at tiresplus, and infact, i bet they would all have much better lives if it not for this show, instead of being a bunch of tramps, they would've probably have falling in love with real world people and some gotten married by now.

Deleted
    The quality of your life doesn't depend on intelligence, well not completely anyway...

The quality of your life depends on two important things: a) on what you've got and b) your attitude

1) on what you've got
    Here is a list of generally good things you can have in your life.
    Being healthy.
    Being gifted by beauty, intelligence, any kind of talent or any such thing.
    Having a good upbringing by loving parents who support you.
    Having good people around you - family, friends or basically anyone you get to see often.
    Being in love with someone and being together with that person.
    Being satisfied/happy with whatever you do for living (or being satisfied with doing nothing if that's what you do).
    And of course having money - although often demonized but still symbol of any property, belongings or services in the world.
    (For most people money CAN buy happiness, at least for until new problems reach them.)

Well that was a rough list of good things you can have, but just as important is how you apperticate what youve got and what you do with it.

2) your attitude

For example there can a this Chinese guy living his whole life in his little hut in the mountains having nothing else than his wife, his hut and few livestock and be really happy and satisfied his whole life not needing or dreaming of anything more or than he already has, on the other side of the globe there is this rich guy who can get any chick he points at, buy anything he wants or basically do anything he wants but he gets in suicidal misery because of some seemingly insignificant problems he has. And there can be this loved beautiful girl who is sad, and this ugly girl who is happy with her life etc. etc.
    (NOTE: i'm bad at examples but if you guys are at least as smart as most of you here claim to be, you will get my point)

The point is that you cannot always change what you have and get what you desire but you always can get in peace with what you have and be happy just as that.

If you can improve you life - improve you life, if you cannot improve your life - improve your attitude.

If you only want to read the part STRICTLY related to the thread, jump over here.

If you life sucks, it sucks / if your life is great, it's great, intelligence only changes how much you realize how you do.
    Dumb people may not be happy because their lives are so good, but just because they easily settle for whatever they've got.
    In short term: Ignorance is bliss.
    Last edited by mmoc5bee70d2e1; 2011-08-02 at 10:53 PM.

I consider myself smart (i'm not trying to be egocentric, i was valedictorian of my school and entered medicine at an early age), and i love my life. I got a gr8 family, gr8 job, gr8 social life, gr8 friends, gr8 everything. To me, partying all day and making a fool out of yourself and being an idiot on Jersey Shore may be fun to them, but is just plain stupid, and no one respects you (btw, i go to parties every now and then to celebrate an occassion and stuff. Not just like feasts or birthday parties.).

I wouldn't give up my life for anything.

---------- Post added 2011-08-01 at 08:20 PM ----------

Oh, and jsut beause the Jersey Shore cast are stupid and having fun doesn't speak for everyone who's stupid. Most stupid people aren't on a T.V. show where they make a ton of $ for being idiots. Most stupid people have terrible jobs or are laid off and have issues with family.

---------- Post added 2011-08-01 at 08:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    I think it has more to do with pride than anything else. People with much pride are usually the ones who are too "good" to do stuff. People with a lot of pride are usually douchebags as well, so it correlates.
    Or you can realize your potential and use it to help others...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    I say they live much much higher quality lives then almost anyone with a high IQ
    Did you really just say the cast of Jersey Shore live high quality lives?
    Quote Originally Posted by Azidonis View Post
    Anyway, their egos, or "epeens" (electronic penises) aside, here are a few links that may help:

if youre smart

and bored

then get drunk
    simple.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Boredom and Intelligence creates fantastic advancements for science. Less interwebs. More science. I shall expect results.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its not boring I'd say (I'm that guy you had in ur class thet everyone cheats off of on tests etc. or goes to whenever they have a question) but the worst thing is the expectations. For example if you're smart and someone asks you and a less intelligent person to solve some problem or w/e if the less intelligent person just says "i dont know" it will be accepted but for the smart guy if you say if you dont know ppl will say "I expected better from you" or thumb their nose at you. Its just alot of pressure w/ everyone always turning to you for the answers, I guess.

Im watching the jersey shore marathon and never seen this show before today and i have to say im jealous of how much fun those people have . People i know make fun of them for being shallow and basically dumb but who cares if your living the life !! I know Doctors and Business leaders who live miserable lives because they cant enjoy anything with there superior attitudes and IQ's ....these people are basic and fun ...I say they live much much higher quality lives then almost anyone with a high IQ . What do you guys think .
    Being smarter than the people from Jersey Shore does not mean you have a "high IQ"...

You should try being really good looking like me. It's such a drag.

Im watching the jersey shore marathon and never seen this show before today and i have to say im jealous of how much fun those people have . People i know make fun of them for being shallow and basically dumb but who cares if your living the life !! I know Doctors and Business leaders who live miserable lives because they cant enjoy anything with there superior attitudes and IQ's ....these people are basic and fun ...I say they live much much higher quality lives then almost anyone with a high IQ . What do you guys think .
    See there's your problem. Its not a matter of IQ its a matter of a shitty outlook on life. Lear to appreciate the little things. Stop to smell the roses, go cloud watching, just stop with the shitty attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by smashzu View Post
    or the mystical third option, which involves handcuffs and lubricant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I seriously think some people picture the higher ups at Blizzard as a group of guys in suits sitting around an office wearing giant hats made out of $100 bills and smoking giant cigars rolled out of $100 bills saying to each other "How can we piss off out players this week? Muhahahahaha!"

To go back to Bobfred's stance on tests:
    I háve actually been tested twice (it helps to be insane, apparently).
    I scored a 90 and a 156. Now; I am clinically depressed.. I have my good days and my bad days, and my completely unfocussed days, but all in all, I would surmise that neither of those results are in any way reliable, even if they were both official tests.

As for intelligence versus happiness: I disagree. Being intelligent does not make a person happier or less happy. It would all depend on the specific area in which one is intelligent, I would say. For instance: I'm relatively okay at math. Well; that's a lie; I'm terrible at math, but I do understand the concepts easily. This 'skill' has nothing to do with my state of happiness.
    However, I also question everything, and I tend to be a reductionist. I simplify everything, and quickly came to the discovery (at a very young age) that everything we do in life is essentially a lie. Economy is a lie, earning money is a lie, being wealthy is a lie... None of those things are either substantial or real, yet our species clings to it as if there were no tomorrow, and not joining in with the 'deluded' crowd would be a monumental mistake, leading to possible incarceration, even though it is this mass delusion that causes such an incredible amount of harm world-wide, where people are willing to abuse one another for purely fictional values. Now; the severity with which I take this is partly due to my... Condition, if you will. Everything seems pointless in that light. One could call it a sad, sad realization.
    However, insight and intelligence are not the same thing. Or better: Insight may be a kind of intelligence, but to say that every intelligent person really, fully, comprehends the thing I have written above would be inaccurate. Oh, I think everyone understands it on a purely 'intellectual' basis, but I don't think everyone can actually oversee it all the minute consequences, and grasp the futility of it all.

Different people are good at different things. Each and every one of us uses her brain differently. So that would mean that 'intelligence' and 'stupidity' are not measurable, and neither are their effects on happiness.

Deleted
    I've had multiple IQ test from my psychiatrist(s) i score about 145-150 everytime, those web test are just BS, they are incredibly easy to score 170+ on,
    i've done that mensa one or w/e its called scored 183, i do believe that would make me smarter then Stephen Hawking lol.
    But being smart has nothing to do with having fun.
    You just simply cant blame your "intellect" for you not enjoying a some TV show.

Personally i've seen the Jersey Shore season 1 and 2, and i have never laughed so hard at how silly some of they are xD
    And even if you cant have fun watching Jersey Shore, why should u care? your honestly not missing out on much

Quote Originally Posted by Lightstorm View Post
    Ignorance is bliss.
    10characters

10+ Year Old Account
    I work in Reality TV. I am one of the best editors in LA.

My good friend cuts Jersey Shore.

Let me assure you, there is nothing, nothing real about Reality TV.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Just because you are smart doesn't mean you have a shit attitude towards life. People can be smart and happy.
    This, exactly.This thread should be titled "Being a pessimistic lazy person is boring... seriously"

Deleted
    I think this is a common belief among people with lower IQs. Ony of my friends actually thinks that people with a higher than average IQ aren't able to have fun, her argument is that "Smart people can't, like, laugh at stupid stuff they do!".

But OT, when the "Jersey Shore" people go out and drink, it's because they think that it's fun to drink and make out with strangers. When smart people do stuff that you don't find fun, it's probably because they find it fun.

EDIT: about the "Smart people don't watch Jersey Shore!" attitude, do you know how fucking (excuse my language) funny it is to watch "The Situation" making all of the others fight like crazed monkeys that can talk!? Cause if you do, you shouldn't have that attitude.
    Last edited by mmoc1c102f2115; 2011-08-04 at 01:04 AM.

Deleted
    Being smart is incredibly boring, finding answers to things faster than others, seeing the tidbits others fail to see or even grasp...then having to explain to the others...
    For me, what I find logical and reasonable, most find silly untill I explain them the 'why' and the 'how'.

Luckily, I've found several things that I enjoy doing, so life's not a never-changing chore for me.

There's always someone smarter and the definition of fun is self defined.