Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm inclined to disagree. I feel that I'm of above average intelligence, but I love my life. Sure, a lot of things piss me off politically right now, but there are so many things ... music, movies, art, technology, hiking, and people to share these things with that there is no reason for me to be unhappy. I don't get piss-fuck drunk (I don't know if that's what happiness looks like to), but I do enjoy the company of people and really enjoy going out and doing stuff like hiking, lifting, going to the beach, bonfires, etc.

I think you've got it in your head that if you're not drinking, having sex with slutty girls and going out clubbing, life isn't fun. That's about as wrong a perspective as it gets.

I like how you had to explain what being smart is in your thread's title

Being poor is boring, nothing to do with IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Im watching the jersey shore marathon and never seen this show before today and i have to say im jealous of how much fun those people have . People i know make fun of them for being shallow and basically dumb but who cares if your living the life !! I know Doctors and Business leaders who live miserable lives because they cant enjoy anything with there superior attitudes and IQ's ....these people are basic and fun ...I say they live much much higher quality lives then almost anyone with a high IQ . What do you guys think .

Why do you think in extremes?

things simply loose there fun, for me I used to party and drink a lot, but after awhile its depressing. I believe living in any extreme kind of leads to depression. Happiness just happens, I don't see happiness as only a result of doing something expecting it to make you happy, I feel if someone is constantly looking for something to make them happy, they never will be.

Wait, wait, you don't think its possible for ANY person with a high IQ to have a good fun life? Oh lord. *facepalm*

I live in the same county the show takes place and see Snooki and all of them about once a week since they go to the same places I go and they're not in Italy anymore. Yes it's pretty much a huge party here in the summer ONLY. In the winter Seaside Heights is a ghost town. The show is pretty much staged. You don't see the 3-4 bodyguards, camera crew, and producer/assistants around them at all times in the club on TV. They're also all pretty short. None of them are over 5'8 or so except for Sitch.

It's kind of weird being in the club and having Ronnie and the Sitch right next to you just chillin

Also those lucky fuckers have nice ass cars. Was at 711 once and the Sitch pulls up in a black Bentley with black on black wheels with a dude behind him in a Rolls Royce Phantom. The Phantom was sexy as hell.
    Last edited by bigsandwich732; 2011-07-30 at 05:14 PM.

Im watching the jersey shore marathon and never seen this show before today and i have to say im jealous of how much fun those people have . People i know make fun of them for being shallow and basically dumb but who cares if your living the life !! I know Doctors and Business leaders who live miserable lives because they cant enjoy anything with there superior attitudes and IQ's ....these people are basic and fun ...I say they live much much higher quality lives then almost anyone with a high IQ . What do you guys think .
    A few things...

- They're morons, and I couldn't give a shit less what those neanderthals think say or do.
    - If you can find someone who pays you to get piss drunk on camera, you'd have fun too.
    - Some people who are "smart" tend to be very "responsible" and don't do stupid fun things.
    - Other "smart" people tend to hate their lives, because - well, people are morons. (see jersey shore)

Also,
    Having a high IQ and having fun are not mutually exclusive. In fact, I once snorted a gram of blow off of my theoretical physics text book. Try to *not* have a good time after blasting a potentially heart stopping dose of nose candy.

Deleted
    I've always thought that too.

Over-thinking life too much leads to misery and contempt.

It always seems like simpletons do get more enjoyment out of life. Or maybe it's because they've learnt to enjoy the simple things in life.

Forgive me for not having a source for this, but being a psychology major this actually came up in a course I took about 8 months ago - as it turns out, people with money tend to be happier. People who rate highly on the IQ scale, tend to make more money.

Interestingly, people's who's parents make more money are more likely to rate highly on the IQ scale (regardless of the parents IQ level, although as mentioned, those with money tend to rate more highly on the IQ scale).

Worth noting:
    Correlation does not mean causation - because IQ and wealth are correlated does not necessarily mean that high IQ causes wealth, or that wealth causes a high IQ.

Also worth noting, the IQ test does not measure general intelligence. Typically what it measures is competence regarding things valued in western culture, things like certain mathematical equations, spatial recognition, reading comprehension and even trivia (some of it extremely obscure to the point of "who the hell knows that?").

I think it's also worth noting: Most of you claiming in this thread to have extremely high IQs have never taken a real IQ test. Internet IQ tests are not valid measurements of IQ - they're far to short and simple to possibly give a good indication of what is classified as "IQ" - most of them overestimate by between 20 and 40 points, some of them much more.

I will give you an example: I have a friend who has taken an actual, official IQ test. He was scored at just beneath 130 (I believe 128 but I don't recall with 100% clarity, so I'll leave it at just below 130). Most internet IQ tests score him at roughly 175, I've seen him score similar results on several and in one case I watched him score an IQ of 197. Yes, 197.

Real IQ tests are rarely administered because they don't give us much actually useful information and because they are quite expensive (I can't recall an exact number but it was in the hundreds or low thousands of dollars for a test). Additionally a true IQ test typically takes around 3 days to complete (although there are abridged versions which can be completed in as little as 6 hours, although their information is usually considered less valuable as a result of the partial testing).

Also worth noting: you're IQ changes over time. This is because IQ is determined by factoring in the expected average score of a person your age, against the actual score you got (and the expected age associated with that score). This is notable considering that many elementary schools test young children to determine whether or not those children are 'gifted' - forgive me for not knowing the math off hand, but suppose a 6 year old scored as a 12 year old is expected to score, they might have an IQ of 150 (numbers are examples, the actual math might differ) but when tested 10 years later and he's just you're average 22 year old he's only got an IQ of 100. (There are seperate tests for children to help combat this problem, but they still suffer from it just not quite as much as the standard test). The real problem is that some children mature faster than others, so some children may well have a higher IQ at a younger age then his peers but eventually his/her peers catch up in maturity and they're all on equal footing. (also note: whether or not a child is considered gifted is directly correlated to how much money the government is willing to throw at schools for programs regarding gifted children and shifts radically depending on which party is in office).

In other words, most of you claiming to be of extremely high IQ are doing yourself a disservice. I know of literally one person who has taken a IQ test outside of elementary school and I'm in a psychology program at a school which specializes in psychology - it's kind of our thing. The number of people who have taken a real IQ test (or even know what a real IQ test is) is -infinitesimally- small, for one because the information can't be applied to very much, for two because they are very expensive, and for three because they're very time consuming.

Now, don't assume I'm calling anyone here stupid - I'm not, I haven't met any of you, you may all well have IQs in the two hundreds and I've just stumbled into some sacred hidden spot on the internet, but given the rarity and difficulty of IQ tests, it seems very likely that few, if any have taken a real IQ test.

And for those that have taken an IQ test and scored well - you're probably smart enough to know that flaunting it without proof on an internet forum in a thread about Jersey Shore probably isn't the best use of your remarkable IQ.
    Last edited by Bobfred21; 2011-07-30 at 08:16 AM.

Deleted
    I don't think IQ has anything to do with how happy anyone is. How you were raised up, what influenced you as a child, and who you grew up with means a lot more.

10+ Year Old Account
    no offense but: Jersey shore marathon + IQ = XD how can u base any real life experiences off a tv show that is known for its blatant stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Lightstorm View Post
    Ignorance is bliss.
    If ignorance is bliss, then everyone on Jersey Shore is multi-orgasmic. Including the men.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwarr View Post
    my "IQ" is like 55 lol suck muh bawls jersyshore, you're an outrages embarrassment to Italians.
    if Family Guy is right below 70 means ur "speshal" correct so I CALL..... SHENANIGANS

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlefraz View Post
    wtb one post from an admitted "stupid person" who lives their life to the fullest.

Just for balance... y'know.
    But... this is the Internet. The place where everybody is super-intelligent, has nailed a super-model and is incomprehensibly rich.

Or so they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobfred21 View Post
    <lots of stuff>
    Oh, you should have seen the "Post your IQ" thread in the Fun Stuff subforum a while ago. If internet IQ tests (or even the kind that take an hour or two) were legitimate and people didn't inflate their numbers, then 25% of MMO-C registered users are at a genius level of intellect.

Huzzah!

Personally, I think assigning some arbitrary number is a little useless. It's apparent when somebody is so dumb they can't name the President of the United States, just as it's apparent when somebody is clearly smarter than you. And really, outside of just a few extreme cases, it will always boil down to how well you work with others. No single person is going to code the next revolutionary 3-D engine, nor would a single person cure cancer, or engineer a way to make tar sands economically feasible, etc. It doesn't matter how good one is at taking tests and acting "smart" on internet forums; if one isn't capable of working well with a team they're really not going to have a career that reflects their potential.

Deleted
    I find it fancy how many posters here claim they are more intelligent than your general person. Really proves the psychological fact that people often overrate themselves when talking about the good qualities of persona.

Deleted
    Why do you think that intelligent people don't go out and party just like any common folk?

"I applied my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also was a chasing of the wind. For in much wisdom is much grief; and he who increaseth knowledge, increaseth sorrow." - Ecclesiastes 1:17-18

Sums it up, I would say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because we should really believe EVERYTHING we see on reality TV eh?

I'm firmly of the opinion that you don't have a quality life unless you're familiar with Carl Sagan's work. It's beautiful in almost every measurable way.
    Sell the Vatican, Feed the World