Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    "As intelligence goes up,happiness goes down. See, I made a graph. I make lots of graphs."
    -Lisa Simpson

http://flowingdata.com/wp-content/up...44cs0wc.th.png

Completely agree with some posts above...sometimes you wish you could just shut it off, but you cant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    It's apparent when somebody is so dumb they can't name the President of the United States
    if it wasn't for the fact that I watch the news, I couldn't. I hardly think knowledge is the same thing as being smart.

anyway if you think yourself to me too smart to have fun, get wasted and I promise you that you're no smarter than a 5 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    if it wasn't for the fact that I watch the news, I couldn't. I hardly think knowledge is the same thing as being smart.

anyway if you think yourself to me too smart to have fun, get wasted and I promise you that you're no smarter than a 5 year old.
    I guess I should add the modifier "as an American". It's shocking how many people here don't know who he is.

I got "wasted" just a few days ago. It's something I rarely do. I lamented about the ridiculous politics going on, and suggested we find a way to have Beohner become the first man submitted to spaghettification.

Apparently I also went on a rant about what they'll do with the LHC after it's been used up. My girlfriend loved my suggestion of turning it into a toy for scientists, where they get to put Hot Wheels into it and place bets on which car makes it out with the least damage.
    Last edited by Chyrch; 2011-07-30 at 08:37 AM.
    Sell the Vatican, Feed the World

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chyrch View Post
    I got "wasted" just a few days ago. It's something I rarely do. I lamented about the ridiculous politics going on, and suggested we find a way to have Beohner become the first man submitted to spaghettification.
    yea your problem isn't that you're too smart, your problem is that you don't have party animals for friends.
    a normal very drunken conversation should end up at "look at those titties!", or possibly "watch this guys!" and a trip to the hospital.

I guess I should add the modifier "as an American". It's shocking how many people here don't know who he is.
    well I too am of the opinion that not knowing the name of the person in charge of your nation is a bit on the sad side, however I am still not of the opinion that knowledge equals intelligence not to mention all these pseudo-intellectuals that seem to be of the opinion that just because they can discuss the recent crash of company X and that company's influence on the south Asian rubber market, they should.

That's not true. I've been wasted plenty of times and I can safely say that you're mind really isn't affected as much as the application of your thoughts.

In other words, you're still smarter than a 5 year old it's just that you can't express you're intelligence more than a 5 year old.

Deleted
    I feel you bro, I thought a lot about this kind of stuff... my thoughts were: "Geeze, these dumb guys don't care about riots in Arabia, World Peace or the meaning of it all, they just fuck around, talk about cars and sports all the time and pass out drunk in some bar, not caring at all!" Wouldn't that be much better? But one does forget that everything looks shinier from the outside, you can't know what set of problems these people have, because everyone has their own problems which seem more or less meaningless in the eyes of other people.

As for living a boring life, it depends what you expect outta it, for me reading a book, discussing with friends, watching "intelligent" movies is much more full filling then a possible hangover everyday and switching dumb chicks like underwear, because in the end these actions won't get you get anything except anecdotes for these people "man i was soooo wasted that day, tru dat! Bro fist"

10+ Year Old Account
    I consider myself an intelligent person. You know, someone who can apply knowledge in real life, that sort of intelligence. However, I don't agree with the OP. Many people with high IQ's live terrible lives because they are missing something. Some people could be missing love or acceptance from others. Who knows. Also these people who have high IQ's must have stressful lives then.

Also for the love of god, I can't understand why anyone likes jersey shore. I will never understand why anyone would want to watch a show about shallow people having "awesome" lives. Even the recent seasons of Family Guy is better than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Vevex View Post
    This, I have an extremely high IQ. I have had an extremely high IQ since I first took the test my Freshman year of High school. As Yellow said, a high IQ means absolutely nothing. I do not doubt that I am intelligent, though I do not need a test to tell me this. Please, do not let yourself be "one of those people" who thinks your IQ means you can not hang out with people who may not be as intelligent. I have always enjoyed myself & I am in the .01%...
    Nobody on the internet lies about anything, you are such a special snowflake! When did you join Mensa?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Im watching the jersey shore marathon and never seen this show before today and i have to say im jealous of how much fun those people have . People i know make fun of them for being shallow and basically dumb but who cares if your living the life !! I know Doctors and Business leaders who live miserable lives because they cant enjoy anything with there superior attitudes and IQ's ....these people are basic and fun ...I say they live much much higher quality lives then almost anyone with a high IQ . What do you guys think .
    I think you are a narcissist and your IQ is average.
    Last edited by Obsession; 2011-07-30 at 08:57 AM.

Stuff
    I seem to recall your post making me think of a particular theory in psychology (forgive me, this thread has put me into psycho mode... Err... Psychology mode. Yeah, that's it).

Rereading the post I can't figure out what the heck caused the jump, but it kind fits the thread so I'll mention it anyway. People have a tendency to attribute their successes to strengths or qualities they have (such as intelligence or competence), while attributing their failures to external or environmental factors beyond their control - it's referred to as a self-serving bias (see also: self-efficacy).

To the OP: if the subject of intelligence and it's ramifications interest you, you really should be looking into psychology rather than internet forums. It's a much broader and interesting subject than a lot of people give it credit for.

Only kind of related, but with regards to Self-Serving Bias and Self-Efficacy this would be a good read: (I apparently am not allowed to post links since I have not posted enough, just wikipedia the Dunning-Kruger Effect).

(Also, for those of you considering going into Psychology, try to get into it as a science rather than as an art, it's more challenging but opens a stupid amount more career options then it's art counterpart [read: next to none]).

well I too am of the opinion that not knowing the name of the person in charge of your nation is a bit on the sad side, however I am still not of the opinion that knowledge equals intelligence not to mention all these pseudo-intellectuals that seem to be of the opinion that just because they can discuss the recent crash of company X and that company's influence on the south Asian rubber market, they should.
    It's allegorical. I'm not saying that you need to know the name of your country's leader to be intelligent, but there's certainly some correlation in that regard. I think you'd have a hard time finding an intelligent American who can't name the first black president in history.

As for your second part, I think it's their obligation to discuss those sorts of things. Topics like that require knowledge to really engage in, and knowledge is power. It's certainly more productive than heading over the Redtube and fappin' it up, or droning through another set of dailies in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Elite Peon;12475889]Im watching the jersey shore marathon and never seen this show before today and i have to say im jealous of how much fun those people have . People i know make fun of them for being shallow and basically dumb but who cares if your living the life !! I know Doctors and Business leaders who live miserable lives because they cant enjoy anything with there superior attitudes and IQ's ....these people are basic and fun ...I say they live much much higher quality lives then almost anyone with a high IQ . What do you guys think .[/QUOTE

You're obviously living your life in the wrong way. Bark up another tree, get laid and then you won't be bored.
    1/3 GM of Valar Morghulis Horde Torrent Mill EU

yea your problem isn't that you're too smart, your problem is that you don't have party animals for friends.
    a normal very drunken conversation should end up at "look at those titties!", or possibly "watch this guys!" and a trip to the hospital.
    That doesn't sound like a problem to me. Drunken parties where everyone winds up in a toga, that's boring to me. Drunken parties where everyone is still trying to have intellectually stimulating discussions ... hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobfred21 View Post
    Forgive me for not having a source for this, but being a psychology major this actually came up in a course I took about 8 months ago - as it turns out, people with money tend to be happier. People who rate highly on the IQ scale, tend to make more money.

Interestingly, people's who's parents make more money are more likely to rate highly on the IQ scale (regardless of the parents IQ level, although as mentioned, those with money tend to rate more highly on the IQ scale).

Worth noting:
    Correlation does not mean causation - because IQ and wealth are correlated does not necessarily mean that high IQ causes wealth, or that wealth causes a high IQ.

Also worth noting, the IQ test does not measure general intelligence. Typically what it measures is competence regarding things valued in western culture, things like certain mathematical equations, spatial recognition, reading comprehension and even trivia (some of it extremely obscure to the point of "who the hell knows that?").

I think it's also worth noting: Most of you claiming in this thread to have extremely high IQs have never taken a real IQ test. Internet IQ tests are not valid measurements of IQ - they're far to short and simple to possibly give a good indication of what is classified as "IQ" - most of them overestimate by between 20 and 40 points, some of them much more.

I will give you an example: I have a friend who has taken an actual, official IQ test. He was scored at just beneath 130 (I believe 128 but I don't recall with 100% clarity, so I'll leave it at just below 130). Most internet IQ tests score him at roughly 175, I've seen him score similar results on several and in one case I watched him score an IQ of 197. Yes, 197.

Real IQ tests are rarely administered because they don't give us much actually useful information and because they are quite expensive (I can't recall an exact number but it was in the hundreds or low thousands of dollars for a test). Additionally a true IQ test typically takes around 3 days to complete (although there are abridged versions which can be completed in as little as 6 hours, although their information is usually considered less valuable as a result of the partial testing).

Also worth noting: you're IQ changes over time. This is because IQ is determined by factoring in the expected average score of a person your age, against the actual score you got (and the expected age associated with that score). This is notable considering that many elementary schools test young children to determine whether or not those children are 'gifted' - forgive me for not knowing the math off hand, but suppose a 6 year old scored as a 12 year old is expected to score, they might have an IQ of 150 (numbers are examples, the actual math might differ) but when tested 10 years later and he's just you're average 22 year old he's only got an IQ of 100. (There are seperate tests for children to help combat this problem, but they still suffer from it just not quite as much as the standard test). The real problem is that some children mature faster than others, so some children may well have a higher IQ at a younger age then his peers but eventually his/her peers catch up in maturity and they're all on equal footing. (also note: whether or not a child is considered gifted is directly correlated to how much money the government is willing to throw at schools for programs regarding gifted children and shifts radically depending on which party is in office).

In other words, most of you claiming to be of extremely high IQ are doing yourself a disservice. I know of literally one person who has taken a IQ test outside of elementary school and I'm in a psychology program at a school which specializes in psychology - it's kind of our thing. The number of people who have taken a real IQ test (or even know what a real IQ test is) is -infinitesimally- small, for one because the information can't be applied to very much, for two because they are very expensive, and for three because they're very time consuming.

Now, don't assume I'm calling anyone here stupid - I'm not, I haven't met any of you, you may all well have IQs in the two hundreds and I've just stumbled into some sacred hidden spot on the internet, but given the rarity and difficulty of IQ tests, it seems very likely that few, if any have taken a real IQ test.

And for those that have taken an IQ test and scored well - you're probably smart enough to know that flaunting it without proof on an internet forum in a thread about Jersey Shore probably isn't the best use of your remarkable IQ.
    This. OP, read it. GO
    1/3 GM of Valar Morghulis Horde Torrent Mill EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    Everyone on the internet is the best at everything, you are such a special snowflake! When did you join mensa?
    Can you be more jealous right now? That must've been one of the saddest things I've seen anyone write.

I have an above average IQ (tested several times between 120-125, the average being around 100) and I still go out and party my ass off and get shitfaced on occasion. Mind you, not as much as some of the Jersey Shore castmembers but then again, I also like to spend my time on other things than JUST getting shitfaced.

There seems to be this misconception that just because you're "smart" (IQ doesn't really have anything to do with wether or not you're smart) you don't party and have fun.

Deleted
    Welcome to the topic where people ought themselves smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobfred21 View Post
    I seem to recall your post making me think of a particular theory in psychology (forgive me, this thread has put me into psycho mode... Err... Psychology mode. Yeah, that's it).
    Psycho, psychologist, psychopath ... what's the difference?!

Rereading the post I can't figure out what the heck caused the jump, but it kind fits the thread so I'll mention it anyway. People have a tendency to attribute their successes to strengths or qualities they have (such as intelligence or competence), while attributing their failures to external or environmental factors beyond their control - it's referred to as a self-serving bias (see also: self-efficacy).
    I think that also has a lot to do with how humbled one has been by past events. Only two years ago I was utterly trounced intellectually by an English major at my school. Fresh out of high school with my head stuck up my ass about how 'superior' engineering was to the liberal arts, it was astoundingly quick how backed into a corner I was in a debate. Then you've also got to take into account how good somebody is at reading emotions, which is something that's actually pretty rare amongst the community here (demographics, yahoo!). If somebody is simply incapable of seeing how their actions affect others negatively, then it's only natural to point fingers when something like getting fired from work or taken off a project happens for that person. After all, they couldn't recognize what their actions were doing to those around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Im watching the jersey shore marathon and never seen this show before today and i have to say im jealous of how much fun those people have . People i know make fun of them for being shallow and basically dumb but who cares if your living the life !! I know Doctors and Business leaders who live miserable lives because they cant enjoy anything with there superior attitudes and IQ's ....these people are basic and fun ...I say they live much much higher quality lives then almost anyone with a high IQ . What do you guys think .
    Most intelligent people realise ignorance is bliss at the age of about 6-8. However it's much harder to just accept the world as it is and make the best of your lot, try better yourself as best as you can, and secure a future your your children and loved ones whilst giving them the best tools to succeed in life.

If your going to dwell on what you don't have and what a cruel place this world really is, your in for a miserable life.

Personally I have always just tried to be the best person I can be.

Psycho, psychologist, psychopath ... what's the difference?!

Please be joking ... you are right? Forums are tricky

Quote Originally Posted by Chyrch View Post
    Please be joking ... you are right? Forums are tricky
    Poe's law in action. Yeah, I'm joking.