Thread: 60GB SSDs

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

60GB SSDs

Are the 60GB or 64GB SSDs worth the money? All I could really put on there is probably windows and WoW.

I would prefer to get one of the bigger ones but I can't really see paying that just right now.

Thanks.

Deleted
    What do you mean worth the money? You have to decide that yourself, do you think a LOT faster loading & boot up times are worth the money?

Quote Originally Posted by Hmmster View Post
    What do you mean worth the money? You have to decide that yourself, do you think a LOT faster loading & boot up times are worth the money?
    Maybe you should ask yourself what the original post is asking? He's not asking if faster loading & boot up times are worth the money. He's asking if that small a hard drive is worth the money for the faster boot times.

My opinion? SSD's are great. However I wouldn't buy a 60gb one. I have a 120 gb and with only wow and windows (plus installed programs) i'm using around 70gb already. I hate having to always check disk space. I hate having to delete stuff repeatedly. It feels like i'm back in 1990's with OMG 1000 MBYTES WOW.

Imagine you are buying a 60 gb SSD today and put that money in a box. Some time later when you would normally think "omg i'm running out of disk space, i should buy one more of this 60 gb and RAID 0 them" take that money out of the box and buy a 120 gb SSD

Edit: Think of this as well, running windows on SSD of curse increases performance. However if you do not run the program/game u are running from that disk... then nothing happens, you just paid money for windows to open 3 seconds earlier.

With 120gb, I'm having to move games around hard disks to get the value of what i paid for. I don't like running DA2 from my secondary RAID 0
    Last edited by Jervaise; 2011-07-31 at 02:26 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jervaise View Post
    Maybe you should ask yourself what the original post is asking? He's not asking if faster loading & boot up times are worth the money. He's asking if that small a hard drive is worth the money.
    He's not buying a harddrive at all.
    And the question "Is this SSd worth the money" comes down to loading times. If you don'tcare about them, no.
    You're not gonna ever add things to a SSD anyway, put WoW & your Os on it, done.

Hehe yea you probably hit it on the head Jervaise. If I wait the only real headache I get is having to reinstall everything.

---------- Post added 2011-07-30 at 09:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hmmster View Post
    He's not buying a harddrive at all.
    And the question "Is this SSd worth the money" comes down to loading times. If you don'tcare about them, no.
    You're not gonna ever add things to a SSD anyway, put WoW & your Os on it, done.
    Well if I had one that was big enough I'd probably put other games on it such as MW1 and 2, SC2, and lotro. There isn't any way I can fit that all on a 60 GB. But if it was worth it to speed up 1 (or maybe 2 games) as well as the OS it may or may not be worth it. I'm just starting to think I might be better off waiting till the bigger ones become more affordable.

I also have read how bad they seem to fail (maybe that was just the first and/or second versions?) which definitely is a con. Saw some reviews that say they've gone through 3 or more of them. Now I know not to believe all I read on the newegg reviews cause either some people get unlucky and get a bad streak on hardware or just over exaggerate.
    Last edited by Orkela; 2011-07-31 at 02:33 AM.

Here's a better option:

Buy a 60GB SSD and a 2TB 7200RPM drive and enable Intel's smart response technology. Now you effectively have a (slightly slower) 2TB SSD.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Here's a better option:

Buy a 60GB SSD and a 2TB 7200RPM drive and enable Intel's smart response technology. Now you effectively have a (slightly slower) 2TB SSD.
    Tell me more.

Also, which of them are the most reliable? As in less likely to fail?

Quote Originally Posted by Orkela View Post
    Tell me more.

Also, which of them are the most reliable? As in less likely to fail?
    SRT is basically a glorified caching system. You will have your Windows install along with everything else on the regular HDD. However, over time the SSD will gradually cache all of your most accessed files (think OS, web browser, WoW, etc) on the SSD. After a few days, you'll be getting SSD speeds on all of your commonly used programs, as well as super fast start-ups.

As far as reliability goes, Intel is ever so slightly on the top at the moment.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Just the other day on newegg you could get a kingston 96gb SSD for 99.99 after rebate and instant savings. Would have been nice. But I didn't have the money a couple days ago.

I got a 128 and have almost all my newer games on it and it is amazing. Especially any game where you spend considerable time in the loading menu like da2 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    SRT is basically a glorified caching system. You will have your Windows install along with everything else on the regular HDD. However, over time the SSD will gradually cache all of your most accessed files (think OS, web browser, WoW, etc) on the SSD. After a few days, you'll be getting SSD speeds on all of your commonly used programs, as well as super fast start-ups.

As far as reliability goes, Intel is ever so slightly on the top at the moment.
    I actually meant which SSDs are more reliable? I noticed that a lot of people said they fail a lot. Are OCZ, Corsair, or other brand more reliable?

My possible build is the thread called "$1000 budget build" I have the z76 or wte board in my possible list so I guess I would have that SRT feature. I would just have to have the ssd to go with it.

Edit. Oh wait did you mean the Intel brand of SSDs? I just noticed they have them lol silly me if that's really what you were suggesting.
    Last edited by Orkela; 2011-07-31 at 03:49 AM.

Deleted
    Yes it is. You can have a normal HDD too and put programs that you're currently using a lot on SSD. Like WoW for instance. If you should quit it and start another game you could just move WoW away from the SSD and put another program there.

Also, 64 GB isn't that low, it would actually fit quite a lot of programs. Let's say you have Windows 7 on there which is like 10gb at most, then WoW, 20GB, and then most modern games are between 7 and 10GB, so you could have WoW + another 3 games on the SSD. I doubt you would actively play more than that.

For some reason my WoW folder is quite a bit bigger than that but I think it's cause I have some unneeded files in it. I'm not really sure what I can take out of my wow folder to make it smaller. Think it's mostly the patch files. I'm also considering that Smart Response Technology and just using a small SSD for cache.

Still looking to see ones that don't have so many failures. This Crucial M4 64 GB one is about the first one I've seen on newegg that doesn't have a lot of 1 eggs for failed drives.

Well bah it was showing as $104 for the Crucial M4 but when I clicked on it it changed to $146 grrr That's almost as much as some of the 120GB ones.
    Last edited by Orkela; 2011-07-31 at 05:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Yes it is. You can have a normal HDD too and put programs that you're currently using a lot on SSD. Like WoW for instance. If you should quit it and start another game you could just move WoW away from the SSD and put another program there.

Also, 64 GB isn't that low, it would actually fit quite a lot of programs. Let's say you have Windows 7 on there which is like 10gb at most, then WoW, 20GB, and then most modern games are between 7 and 10GB, so you could have WoW + another 3 games on the SSD. I doubt you would actively play more than that.
    P.S:

quote from microsoft: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...m-requirements
    If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
    • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

---------- Post added 2011-07-31 at 06:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Orkela View Post
    For some reason my WoW folder is quite a bit bigger than that but I think it's cause I have some unneeded files in it. I'm not really sure what I can take out of my wow folder to make it smaller. Think it's mostly the patch files.
    You may delete anything in the World of Warcraft folder (assuming 4.x builds, not for older builds) except these files and folders:

<Folder> Data
    Battle.net.dll
    Blizzard Downloader.exe
    Blizzard Updater.exe
    dbghelp.dll
    DivxDecoder.dll
    ijl15.dll
    Launcher.exe
    Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest
    msvcr80.dll
    patch.html
    Repair.exe
    Scan.dll
    unicows.dll
    Wow.exe
    WoW.mfil
    WoW.tfil
    WoWError.exe

That'll leave a barebones World of Warcraft installation. This will remove any addon saved variables files as well as screenshots, old patch installers and such. If you've used the older, non-Cataclysm/4.0 online installer, you can open the World of Warcraft Installer shortcut on your desktop and delete the files inside. If you're on Windows Vista or 7, you may delete the Blizzard Entertainment folder in C:\Users\Public\Documents\.

Although I would also keep the Interface and WTF folders to save your settings from one session to the next.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-07-31 at 05:42 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Yea, you maybe right, I was just randomly guessing. The point still remains though, it's still OS, WoW and 2-3 games.
    My old Win XP only took like 4 GB so I though Win 7 couldn't be more than 10:P But yea, juct checked, my Windows folder is 20 GB.

I've never been a fan of 60gig or smaller SSDs. They are still worth the money in my book, but I'd prefer dropping an extra 70-100$ for a 120gig. I just picked up 2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227706 last month after having my old 60gig Vertex2s fail on me. Threw them in Raid0 and I'm loving them.

Deleted
    Let's say you have Windows 7 on there which is like 10gb at most, then WoW, 20GB, and then most modern games are between 7 and 10GB, so you could have WoW + another 3 games on the SSD.
    Careful. You wouldn't want your SSD to blow up because you take a screenshot in wow...
    Or if Windows downloads some upgrades or a new service pack...
    Or if you install a new expansion to WoW, or it simply needs to download a big patch...

I have win7 on one SSD and WoW on another. Mostly because I'm paranoid about having plenty of free diskspace, just in case, but also because my windows folder takes up 35gb - with another 5 in the users folder. And WoW takes up 27gb.
    Last edited by mmoc7805351bd4; 2011-07-31 at 05:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, you maybe right, I was just randomly guessing. The point still remains though, it's still OS, WoW and 2-3 games.
    My old Win XP only took like 4 GB so I though Win 7 couldn't be more than 10:P But yea, juct checked, my Windows folder is 20 GB.
    :-)
    In any case I would always recommend having between 5 and 10gb of FREE space on whatever drive your OS is on to avoid seeing "disk too full" messages or even slowing it down.

Deleted
    A 60 GB SSD only leaves you with about 52 actual GB to use as storage, maybe even less.

Windows 7-64 is already 20 GB, leaving about 32 for WoW.

Now I'm not sure if WoW is close to 30 GB yet (my WoW folder is only 18 GB), but it could be an issue eventually.

I still think it's worth it though.

I'm staying away from ssd's until they have at least ~250GB ones for <$100... hopefully by my next build in 2 years or so xD
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.