Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Honestly, I don't see any issues with DPS meters. If someone is padding it, and causing a wipe, you can easily see it in the details and can call them out on it (if you wanted to). If someone is legitimately doing significantly more DPS/DD than you, maybe you should think about what you can do to increase your numbers (if needed).

imho - the DPS meters are fine. Personally, I never post them to gloat. However, I also don't care if someone else does. The question you might want to ask is "why does it bother you"?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    Honestly, I don't see any issues with DPS meters. If someone is padding it, and causing a wipe, you can easily see it in the details and can call them out on it (if you wanted to). If someone is legitimately doing significantly more DPS/DD than you, maybe you should think about what you can do to increase your numbers (if needed).

imho - the DPS meters are fine. Personally, I never post them to gloat. However, I also don't care if someone else does. The question you might want to ask is "why does it bother you"?
    I have to ask, did you even bother to read the other posts in this thread?

Because you've not addressed most of the real concerns about DPS meters, instead you're just charging at your straw-man - that people are "bothered" by it in some vague way.

The real issues are significant. I won't re-iterate them, because they're discussed at length on the previous page, but dismissing everyone's concerns as their "personal issues" as you imply with this juvenile "Y r u bothered?" nonsense? That's really sad. The issues with DPS meters go a lot deeper than that sort of thing.

Damage meters is asking for team work and better team work, me and my friends like to compete, and more damage = faster kills, faster kills = profit /time saved. The game is nice to have damage meters so you know what to improve on, people who preach other wise just don't like being looked at for having bad numbers, and having bad numbers, I am sorry , does not help improve team work play =/ you actually hurt the group. Thus why we have a meter to judge rather someone is going to help or hurt the group.

The real issues are significant.
    Dumb people being dumb. Yup, REAL significant problem there. Totally abnormal. Never happened before in the history of mankind. Before damage meters, when you could /afk through fights and get carried anyways were the real golden age of gaming. Not being held accountable for your performance, be it standing in the fire or AFKing during fights, was the only thing that made the community worthwhile. Now that we can identify those who aren't working with the team, teamwork no longer exists. THE END IS NIGH!

Deleted
    Any game that keeps scores of how well (or bad) someone did will make people use those scores to compare/show off. Been going on since pong.

Having dps meters is not bad for multiple reasons. But I seriouslly agree that it feels like 99% of players base the game off meters and your a good or bad player if your not keeping to par of the top dps records in the words on world logs parces. This whole game sometimes gets annoying.

Whats worse is the people who compare world parces to Your class and your play style, arnt even comparing it properly or actually looking into the parces in detail to find out way. Simply put, those who think they are smart in wow... arnt.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only time the DPS meter bothers me is when people care more about the meter than actually paying attention to boss mechanics, etc.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    The only time the DPS meter bothers me is when people care more about the meter than actually paying attention to boss mechanics, etc.
    The meter can also show what they were being dumb about, so it works both ways they can still be held accountable and dismissed if they are just dead weight.

I never used meters but my guild had a world of logs and I was like huh I'm top 5

Quote Originally Posted by Wendyclear View Post
    Now it seems that even though Bob is a better player than Sally, they'll take Sally just because she's top dps with 3 buttons or is a certain class that's more valued for arena.
    And how the hell does that happen?If we assume that Sally doesn't inflate meters on purpose,then Sally is clearly better if we're talking about a patchwerk-style fight(on fights like rhyolith the "Top DPS" factor is invalid)
    Awesome avatar by Resentful

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    And how the hell does that happen?If we assume that Sally doesn't inflate meters on purpose,then Sally is clearly better if we're talking about a patchwerk-style fight(on fights like rhyolith the "Top DPS" factor is invalid)
    heroic ryolith in 25 is quite the race :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenjji View Post
    What are you trying to imply, bg's are not about kb's? don't be silly
    Actually KB's are worthless. Same with HK's.

Think about it. you see a guy being attacked, you help him. the opponent was at say 20% health when you got there, you get the last hit in, the killing blow. Grats?! you kill stole.

HK's as well are silly, you just have to be in proximity of the kill to be awarded the HK.

The only stats that matter in BG's are objective scores, Damage and Healing. nothing else is accurate enough to really pay attention to.

On the note of Damage meters, sure they don't directly tell you if so and so is performing the strat perfectly. But generally if you make it through the fight, and you are highest on the meter. That means you did not stand in fire or get hit by a cave in or w/e gimic the boss throws at you, and STILL were able to do more damage than the rest of the raid.

Lastly, Recount for example, tells you much much more than just how much damage or healing you've done. If you actually browse through the different meters it provides and actually go through the break downs, you can see how much damage people have taken from what mob and what spell. you can see if people are dispelling or not and many other things. Meters are basically your whole encounter status report. Most are too focused on how much damage or healing they are doing and never really explore the depth recount provides, but trust me, all the info you need is there.
    Last edited by Kathandira; 2011-08-15 at 08:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If all you do is pug heroics, raids, or BGs then yes...the meter tends to become a focus. However, once you start doing these things with a guild...or even just a familiar group of people...it becomes about working together to overcome obstacles. I could not care less who does top dps in our boss kills or who scored the KB in the arena match. I just care that we execute the strat as a team and make progress toward our goals. The only stat I really care about on the meters in raids these days is Deaths. Seems more wipes are caused (in 10m raids) due to stupid deaths than to low dps or hps.

Play with friends and the goal becomes group success over individual achievement.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Quote Originally Posted by Yotei View Post
    or choosing a talent that may increase your DPS by 3% or the over-all raid DPS by 3% and you choose the personal DPS increase.
    Blizzard adjusted all raid-wide talents to make them "selfish". You will not a single talent in game that's not both anymore.

wowction.com/wow-cataclysm/words-cataclysm-talent-tree-design/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    I have to ask, did you even bother to read the other posts in this thread?

Because you've not addressed most of the real concerns about DPS meters, instead you're just charging at your straw-man - that people are "bothered" by it in some vague way.

The real issues are significant. I won't re-iterate them, because they're discussed at length on the previous page, but dismissing everyone's concerns as their "personal issues" as you imply with this juvenile "Y r u bothered?" nonsense? That's really sad. The issues with DPS meters go a lot deeper than that sort of thing.
    Wow that was one of the biggest bs posts I have ever read, and I have read these forums for years. Congratulations!

On topic if you suck you will hate meters if you're good you don't mind them /thread.

Moving from fire is too easy! Spice it up with DPS battles to shut up that big mouthed ret paladin! Also its good for my ego to get ranked outside the guild on WoL!

Why wouldn't you want to know how you stack up personally? I mean really, if you aren't playing to win then what are you doing?

Edit: To be clear, part of being a great teammate is doing as much of whatever your role is can do.
    Last edited by Lilcheeks; 2011-08-15 at 08:49 PM.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthets View Post
    Wow that was one of the biggest bs posts I have ever read, and I have read these forums for years. Congratulations!

On topic if you suck you will hate meters if you're good you don't mind them /thread.
    I love it when people do /thread. There is no surer way to admit that you have no logical argument or ability to discuss a topic like an adult than to write something angry and do /thread.

My experience is that people who are really good love LOGS, but people who are only good at making big numbers in the short term, and not actually good overall, love meters and don't love logs.
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2011-08-15 at 08:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    I love it when people do /thread. There is no surer way to admit that you have no logical argument or ability to discuss a topic like an adult than to write something angry and do /thread.

My experience is that people who are really good love LOGS, but people who are only good at making big numbers in the short term, and not actually good overall, love meters and don't love logs.
    Logs = meters. Recount is almost as detailed as wol. Also I lol'd.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonuts View Post
    Dumb people being dumb. Yup, REAL significant problem there. Totally abnormal. Never happened before in the history of mankind. Before damage meters, when you could /afk through fights and get carried anyways were the real golden age of gaming. Not being held accountable for your performance, be it standing in the fire or AFKing during fights, was the only thing that made the community worthwhile. Now that we can identify those who aren't working with the team, teamwork no longer exists. THE END IS NIGH!
    I love how "I think meters are equally good and bad" translates to you as "THE END IS NIGH!". When your friend says "That movie was only okay!", do you scream "HOLY SHIT YOU COLD BASTARD! HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT?!" in his face or something? I mean wtf lol? 5.5/10 isn't the same as 0/10.

My experience is that everything good that meters do, logs also do, except for in PUGs. But in PUGs, there are equal downsides and upsides. I mean, let's be real. WoW has at least 60% "dumb" players. If you PUG, they will usually be 3/5 slots in your group. Agree/disagree?

Upside of meters: You can quickly identify and kick bad low-DPS DPS from your group. That's cool - often saves a few minutes on a run, right?

Downside of meters: They cause all sort of utterly pathetic beardfights either between dumbasses, or when a dumabass attacks a smart player, and won't give up because the meters "prove" he's right. This sort of stuff can cause people to leave the group, or seriously slow down runs.

My experience, playing since late beta of WoW, with meters since day one, is that these two factor pretty much even out. For every "Thank god we got rid of that guy!", there's some run where a dumbass guy throws a fit because of something he saw on the meter - and it can be almost anything - someone is out-DPSing him? Time to get into a beardfight with that guy! Tank is out-DPSing him, even though it's only due to AE to control trash? Time to get into a beardfight with the tank. Healer not doing enough HPS, even though that's because no-one is taking damage? Time to scream at the healer until he quits the group! Or the most common one - standing in stuff because he wanted to win DPS, and if he moved out of stuff, or paid attention to boss abilities, he wouldn't have "won" the meter (which he probably doesn't anyway!). Oh, or he refuses to switch to the right target because he wants to win the meter.

Dumb people are dumb you say? Meter exaggerates their dumb-ness. I wish it didn't, but it does.

If the world only had smart people in it, or if you're in a guild group, meters are usually fine. Not much better than logs, but fine, but the world doesn't only have smart people in it, sadly.